Sweeney: Valve Matching Epic's Commission Would End EGS Exclusives

Epic Games has taken a lot of heat from some segments of the game community over deals to make games exclusive to the Epic Games Store. In this tweet, Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney throws down the gauntlet on this, saying that if Steam permanently lowers its commission on sales to match Epic's 12% take, this would end their pursuit of exclusives, and would even lead to Epic Games being sold on Steam (thanks DSOGaming). Here's word:
If Steam committed to a permanent 88% revenue share for all developers and publishers without major strings attached, Epic would hastily organize a retreat from exclusives (while honoring our partner commitments) and consider putting our own games on Steam.

Such a move would be a glorious moment in the history of PC gaming, and would have a sweeping impact on other platforms for generations to come.

Then stores could go back to just being nice places to buy stuff, rather than the Game Developer IRS.
View : : :

Re: Sweeney: Valve Matching Epic's Commission Would End EGS Exclusives
Apr 26, 2019, 11:49
Re: Sweeney: Valve Matching Epic's Commission Would End EGS Exclusives Apr 26, 2019, 11:49
Apr 26, 2019, 11:49

Beamer wrote on Apr 26, 2019, 10:43:

I don't much give a shit what publishers choose or don't, I care what the impact is to me. Why it happens to me doesn't matter all that much, at best it mitigates. If someone were to give me a billion dollars because they think I deserve it, or were they to give it to me because they think it would corrupt me, the end result is I have a billion dollars. With Steam, the end result was always that I needed to use Steam.

So game devs and publishers had no choice but to use steam before EGS? They can't setup their own content delivery systems and sell the game from their own websites? They can't choose to not use any DRM and sell their games via GOG?

These are top priorities on Epic's roadmap.
Meanwhile, you keep talking about what publishers and developers are choosing. Are you saying they have no choice but to be exclusive on EGS? Because they have plenty of choice. They can choose to sell on EGS and not be exclusive. They can choose to not sell on EGS at all.

But, for most, when they choose to distribute on Steam, they do not choose to distribute anywhere else, so functionally, I am forced to use Steam to play the game. The choice was never mine.

You are still attributing your perceived lack of choice to be the result of a monopoly created by Valve; which isn't the case. Publishers/developers choosing to use Steam, is not the same as Steam being forced upon the consumer. Valve is not going out to publishers and developers and paying them to only release their games on Steam, thereby forcing you to adopt Steam to play the game. Regardless of the fact that you feel that you have no choice, the onus still lies on the publishers and the developers who choose to use Steam as their delivery platform.

It's a false equivalency at best, and blatantly disingenuous at worst to say that Steam's position as a market leader, is the same as EGS paying developers for exclusives.
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein
Date
Subject
Author
Apr 25, 2019Apr 25 2019
Apr 26, 2019Apr 26 2019
          Re: Sweeney: Valve Matching Epic's Commission Would End EGS Exclusives
Apr 27, 2019Apr 27 2019
Apr 27, 2019Apr 27 2019
Apr 27, 2019Apr 27 2019
Apr 26, 2019Apr 26 2019
Apr 26, 2019Apr 26 2019
Apr 26, 2019Apr 26 2019
Apr 26, 2019Apr 26 2019
Apr 25, 2019Apr 25 2019
Apr 26, 2019Apr 26 2019