Chris Taylor Reveals Intergalactic Space Empire and Kanoogi Platform

VentureBeat has first details on Intergalactic Space Empire, a new indie game being created as a solo project from Chris Taylor, the ex-CEO of Gas Powered Games. This is a simplified real-time strategy game that can run in a browser, which dovetails with the other news that this works with a new cloud gaming platform he's creating called Kanoogi. Chris tells them: "games running on the Kanoogi platform are specially designed and optimized to play on virtually any device that runs an updated web browser, or around two billion devices." Additional details on these plans is expected later this year, and in the meantime, here's more on the game and the new service:
The game is a 2D, top-down title with fast action. If you send someone a link to your game, your friend could join you within seconds, Taylor said. Interestingly, it’s a very different approach compared to Google Stadia, which will compute the game in the cloud and send compressed video to the player.

Taylor’s platform uses processing in the end device, which makes for snappier graphics, he said. The game will feature thousands of projectiles moving all over the screen, but he said the platform won’t dwell on high-end 3D graphics.

“It’s my next RTS game, which takes place on a single galactic map and has a number of innovations,” Taylor said.

The platform will also deliver most games within a few seconds, without any significant loading times. And Taylor said that the game will run on all browsers, from Chrome to Samsung TVs. Technologies like Google Cloud and Amazon Web Services make this possible. But rather than rely on Javascript as some have done in the past, Taylor uses compiled C++, running natively inside a virtual machine in the cloud. The rendering still happens on the client devices.

“I’m happy to say the browser compatibility is 100 percent,” Taylor said. “I don’t drop frames. I don’t get stuttering and stammering like you get in a video. I’m very happy with this architecture.”

Taylor said his mission is to deliver games, single and multiplayer, to players around the world without ever having to worry about updates or install times. Games will move from one device to another seamlessly, even allowing players to access the same game simultaneously from multiple devices. Game progress is saved automatically, as the core game runs securely in the cloud, taking no space on the player’s PC, laptop, tablet, or smartphone.
View : : :
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Chris Taylor Reveals Intergalactic Space Empire and Kanoogi Platform
Apr 26, 2019, 06:58
Re: Chris Taylor Reveals Intergalactic Space Empire and Kanoogi Platform Apr 26, 2019, 06:58
Apr 26, 2019, 06:58

This is like a four star chef announcing he is quitting fine dining establishments in favor of announcing his new franchise of drone delivered Big Mac clone burgers.

Triple A games were like real work, why do that when you can churn out mobile games with little effort. Cash in before the bottom falls out of the moron mobile market big boy.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -- H

Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs
Apr 26, 2019, 03:15
Kxmode

Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Apr 26, 2019, 03:15
Apr 26, 2019, 03:15
 Kxmode

Stormsinger wrote on Apr 25, 2019, 19:12:
eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 25, 2019, 18:01:
I was sort of hyped until I read "new platform" and "virtually all devices"

So if he wants to make mobile games just say that for gods sake. Ain't nobody on PC who wants to play in a browser.
There may not be many of us, but I'm finding that about 90% of my gaming time is spent in browsers these last few years.

Hope your gaming browser of choice is Chrome. It is by far the best gaming browser platform. CHROME MASTER RACE!
"...and in stonks, Fizzy Squeezy Stocklebocks leaped over Droopy Whoopy Bondfluffs, hitting 300-gigglebits to their 150-snorebucks. Meanwhile, in Whimsyland's market, the pancakes reached parity with pogo sticks."

Apr 25, 2019, 19:44
Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Apr 25, 2019, 19:44
Apr 25, 2019, 19:44

Stormsinger wrote on Apr 25, 2019, 19:12:

So if he wants to make mobile games just say that for gods sake. Ain't nobody on PC who wants to play in a browser.
There may not be many of us, but I'm finding that about 90% of my gaming time is spent in browsers these last few years.

That's perfectly fine.
If he does it properly, then I will play it on mobile devices. But I can tell you right now that with 28 open tabs, 1 active youtube video, playing a game in one of them is not what I use a browser on PC for ^^

Ps.: chill music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrRdfKFg_bY

Apr 25, 2019, 19:12
Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Apr 25, 2019, 19:12
Apr 25, 2019, 19:12

Apr 25, 2019, 18:18
Kxmode

Re: Chris Taylor Reveals Intergalactic Space Empire and Kanoogi Platform Apr 25, 2019, 18:18
Apr 25, 2019, 18:18
 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Apr 25, 2019, 14:01:
I didn't realize that he'd left Wargaming. I'm a huge fan of this guy, so I'm going to take a hard look at this. He's always struck me as a standup guy.

His departure happened after his renamed studio was shut down by Wargaming. It was a good move on Wargaming's part both with the purchase and closure. Chris was affected by the slow disintegration of his studio, and you could see it in his videos. Wargaming's buyout placed both him and his studio under their care and on a better footing. Unfortunately, the studio was still Gas Powered Games and likely couldn't produce the kind of stuff Wargaming wanted, so the closure was required to save costs. By that point, Chris was likely in a better mental and emotional state to move forward.
"...and in stonks, Fizzy Squeezy Stocklebocks leaped over Droopy Whoopy Bondfluffs, hitting 300-gigglebits to their 150-snorebucks. Meanwhile, in Whimsyland's market, the pancakes reached parity with pogo sticks."

Apr 25, 2019, 18:01
Re: Chris Taylor Reveals Intergalactic Space Empire and Kanoogi Platform Apr 25, 2019, 18:01
Apr 25, 2019, 18:01

Apr 25, 2019, 16:45
Re: Chris Taylor Reveals Intergalactic Space Empire and Kanoogi Platform Apr 25, 2019, 16:45
Apr 25, 2019, 16:45

Creston wrote on Apr 25, 2019, 15:27:
I was just thinking the other day that we hadn't really heard much of Chris Taylor since that weird, failed caveman kickstarter project of his.

I'm really not sure the world needs another fucking gaming platform, but another RTS by him? Yes please.

Yeah, GPG had two contracts cancelled within a month, and suddenly found themselves out of cash. Caveman was the attempt to stay afloat.

It's a shame, because they were in the middle of Kings and Castles, the medieval version of SupCom. SupCom style games cost $10 -$15M to develop, so there was no way to finish without a massive influx of cash. Such a shame, as I would have played the shit out of such a game. Also, imagine the mods that would have come from that: LOTR, GoT, etc.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Apr 25, 2019, 16:25
Re: Chris Taylor Reveals Intergalactic Space Empire and Kanoogi Platform Apr 25, 2019, 16:25
Apr 25, 2019, 16:25

"Kanoogi"

Because all the real words are already copyrighted.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Apr 25, 2019, 15:27
Re: Chris Taylor Reveals Intergalactic Space Empire and Kanoogi Platform Apr 25, 2019, 15:27
Apr 25, 2019, 15:27

I was just thinking the other day that we hadn't really heard much of Chris Taylor since that weird, failed caveman kickstarter project of his.

I'm really not sure the world needs another fucking gaming platform, but another RTS by him? Yes please.

Apr 25, 2019, 14:01
Re: Chris Taylor Reveals Intergalactic Space Empire and Kanoogi Platform Apr 25, 2019, 14:01
Apr 25, 2019, 14:01

I didn't realize that he'd left Wargaming. I'm a huge fan of this guy, so I'm going to take a hard look at this. He's always struck me as a standup guy.

I think Darks or someone knows him personally.

Apr 25, 2019, 13:45
Kxmode

Re: Chris Taylor Reveals Intergalactic Space Empire and Kanoogi Platform Apr 25, 2019, 13:45
Apr 25, 2019, 13:45
 Kxmode

MrBone wrote on Apr 25, 2019, 11:58:
I thought Chris Taylor was dead or institutionalized by now. Good to see him back.

His studio Gas Powered Games was purchased by Wargaming and renamed Wargaming Seattle where Chris assumed a directorial role. So in a way he was institutionalized for a time.

Apr 25, 2019, 11:58
Re: Chris Taylor Reveals Intergalactic Space Empire and Kanoogi Platform Apr 25, 2019, 11:58
Apr 25, 2019, 11:58

I thought Chris Taylor was dead or institutionalized by now. Good to see him back.

Apr 25, 2019, 11:36
Re: Chris Taylor Reveals Intergalactic Space Empire and Kanoogi Platform Apr 25, 2019, 11:36
Apr 25, 2019, 11:36

"KANOOGI" passed the initial roundtable discussion for a proper name ?

Idea sounds good, name needs changed. ...

Apr 25, 2019, 11:33
Re: Chris Taylor Reveals Intergalactic Space Empire and Kanoogi Platform Apr 25, 2019, 11:33
Apr 25, 2019, 11:33

After Dungeon Siege (of no loading screens fame) I have huge respect for his architectural prowess. I look forward to seeing how this turns out.

I'm also curious about which aspect of the processing takes place on the server. Traditionally RTS games have been lock-step peer-to-peer simulations to keep data transfer to a minimum. Perhaps that's no longer necessary with modern bandwidth capabilities?

Apr 25, 2019, 10:26
Re: Chris Taylor Reveals Intergalactic Space Empire and Kanoogi Platform Apr 25, 2019, 10:26
Apr 25, 2019, 10:26

Cutter wrote on Apr 25, 2019, 10:13:
Why wouldn't he call it 'The Gas Cloud'?

Honestly, as insane as this all sounds, if it's a low-barrier entrance to some supcom-flavoured goodness than I am IN. My group of friends only has a few people insane enough to invest in anything more than an XBOX1X, and I think they are missing out (Whilst they probably think I'm a massive middle aged man child, and they are right!) but I know they would love some of this stuff were it not for the $$$ and time/education investment required to PC properly.

Apr 25, 2019, 10:13
Re: Chris Taylor Reveals Intergalactic Space Empire and Kanoogi Platform Apr 25, 2019, 10:13
Apr 25, 2019, 10:13

Why wouldn't he call it 'The Gas Cloud'?
"While playing golf today I hit two good balls. I stepped on a rake." - Henny Youngman
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older