Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Path of Exile Melee Change Plans

A new Development Manifesto from Grinding Gear Games has word on how they're approaching the melee rebalance in the upcoming version 3.7.0 update for Path of Exile, their action/RPG (thanks VG247). Here's what to expect from the game's next expansion, which is planned for June:

In Synthesis, we performed an extensive rebalance of Spellcasting throughout Path of Exile. A lot of this work focused on a numerical rebalance of most skills.

We have indicated that the June 3.7.0 expansion contains a similar rebalance of Melee skills, and while we certainly do intend to numerically adjust them to make sure they're viable, the actual scope of Melee changes planned is a lot larger than we have indicated so far.

Players from other Action RPGs have occasionally criticised Path of Exile's melee combat for being "clunky", especially early on before players get a lot of attack speed. We are making various experimental changes to the animation system that should help resolve these concerns and really tighten up the feel of melee combat.

In addition to animation system improvements and melee skill rebalances, we are experimenting with changes to systems such as accuracy, melee splash, leech, fortify, various Ascendancy classes, the passive tree, hit/miss feedback, melee base types, movement skills and melee damage availability on items.

This post has been intentionally light on specific details because all of the above potential changes are ongoing experiments that evolve as we try new stuff. We'll post more information in the news over the coming weeks (with the majority of it after 3.7.0's announcement in May). We are very excited about these changes and look forward to sharing more information with you.

Edit: And Cyclone is now a Channelled skill.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Op Ed Apr 16, 2019, 23:51 Kxmode

Creston wrote on Apr 16, 2019, 10:57:
"we are experimenting with changes to systems such as accuracy, melee splash, leech, fortify, various Ascendancy classes, the passive tree, hit/miss feedback, melee base types, movement skills and melee damage availability on items."

o_O

Like I said. HARD to play. Brutal post 90.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Path of Exile Melee Change Plans Apr 16, 2019, 12:08 panbient

Funny. I typically play 'melee' characters.

I also typically stop using any sort of melee skill by the time I turn in the Medicine Chest.

9. Re: Path of Exile Melee Change Plans Apr 16, 2019, 10:57 Creston

"we are experimenting with changes to systems such as accuracy, melee splash, leech, fortify, various Ascendancy classes, the passive tree, hit/miss feedback, melee base types, movement skills and melee damage availability on items."

o_O

8. Re: Path of Exile Melee Change Plans Apr 16, 2019, 09:38 The Pyro

Melee attacks are in a tough spot because PoE has evolved into a game that's all about speed and avoiding huge attacks. Melee kinda sucks at both of those things. You need to be close to monsters to hit them, which means you waste a lot more time zig-zagging between packs rather than firing off one spell and melting the entire screen. Melee characters are constantly in-range of all the nastiest attacks that bosses can throw at them. Eventually you get locked into an attack animation at an unfortunate moment, eat a huge slam, get randomly crit, and die.

It doesn't help that GGG has released a number of non-melee skills (e.g. brands) that trivialize offensive mechanics to the point where you're literally just running past monsters to kill them. You've got all the time in the world to dodge or just keep going fast.

The most competitive form of the game tends to be races (i.e. first to level 90), and I don't think we've seen top racers go melee in quite a while. For good reason.

7. Re: Re: Path of Exile Melee Change Plans Apr 16, 2019, 09:23 Wallshadows

Kxmode wrote on Apr 16, 2019, 00:40:
This sounds eerily like what Blizzard did with WOW over the years. There's a reason Path of Exile is enjoyed by many. It's a HARD game to play that is brutal after level 90. It's a niche game for people who like this style of play. To rock that formula they risk alienating their core fans.

You're not wrong but the changes they intend to make for melee have been asked for for some time and widely received as beneficial for the health of the game due to the massive disparity melee has against, say, casters. As it stands now there's no reason to roll melee unless you intentionally want to play with a huge handicap which continues to grow over each league. It doesn't help that you need to take a calculus class in order to understand the leech mechanic which keeps getting nerfed.

If anything, this will greatly improve the experience for everyone and will create much more diversity.

6. Re: Path of Exile Melee Change Plans Apr 16, 2019, 09:19 G.oZ

The players have been, if not crying out for it, lamenting the state of melee .... this needs to happen as melee has languished behind all other builds recently, and has a much higher "entry cost" to end-game play.  

5. Re: Path of Exile Melee Change Plans Apr 16, 2019, 00:40 Kxmode

This sounds eerily like what Blizzard did with WOW over the years. There's a reason Path of Exile is enjoyed by many. It's a HARD game to play that is brutal after level 90. It's a niche game for people who like this style of play. To rock that formula they risk alienating their core fans.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

4. Re: Path of Exile Melee Change Plans Apr 15, 2019, 22:48 Mr. Tact

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 15, 2019, 20:34:
I've played PoE on and off, but with the same characters(mainly) from the early betas. They've changed enough and added enough grindy weirdness over time that it's no longer the game for me, but it seems to be a successful model for many.
Certainly the end game has definitely gotten more complicated over time. It would be interesting to know what their new account rate is over time. You'd think it must be slowing down. I've built four characters in four different leagues to level 87+ and the last two times I tried to start another character I didn't get far, in part because I felt somewhat lost...

rist3903 wrote on Apr 15, 2019, 22:20:
They keep their ear to the ground in respects to how recent changes they make are received. Pretty quick to revert things that do not fly.
They do seem responsive to their community, for the most part. I'd agree if they got a major bad reaction to changes, they at least attempt to alleviate the issue, if not revert.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

3. Re: Path of Exile Melee Change Plans Apr 15, 2019, 22:20 rist3903

They keep their ear to the ground in respects to how recent changes they make are received. Pretty quick to revert things that do not fly.

2. Re: Path of Exile Melee Change Plans Apr 15, 2019, 20:34 MoreLuckThanSkill

Darks wrote on Apr 15, 2019, 20:27:
Well, this will either make the game better, or kill it. The community is pretty dedicated, if you go messing with the game to much and break it. It could come back and bite them hard.

Marvel Heroes tried this, and it was a disaster.

I get what you're saying, but PoE has a dedicated, insane following that continually gives them hundreds or thousands of dollars a year, mainly for cosmetics, and starts over from SCRATCH each new league. They are already 'insane.'

I've played PoE on and off, but with the same characters(mainly) from the early betas. They've changed enough and added enough grindy weirdness over time that it's no longer the game for me, but it seems to be a successful model for many. I doubt they'll even be able to significantly impact their playerbase, negatively at least. If they somehow do, they'll just revert the changes.

1. Re: Path of Exile Melee Change Plans Apr 15, 2019, 20:27 Darks

Well, this will either make the game better, or kill it. The community is pretty dedicated, if you go messing with the game to much and break it. It could come back and bite them hard.

Marvel Heroes tried this, and it was a disaster.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo