Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Morning Interviews

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 16, 2019, 20:06 jdreyer

Nullity wrote on Apr 16, 2019, 12:50:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 15, 2019, 22:06:
Seriously though, ray tracing is the future, the only question is whether Nvidia jumped the gun on it. There's an argument that they are a few years early.
Eh, I'm not sure there really is a "too early" with something like this. Someone has to get the ball rolling. If they waited, it would only push back further the first generation that can truly run ray-tracing adequately, and content that takes advantage of it.
Fair enough, I'm not arguing one way or another. I'm just saying we'll get there.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 16, 2019, 12:50 Nullity

jdreyer wrote on Apr 15, 2019, 22:06:
Seriously though, ray tracing is the future, the only question is whether Nvidia jumped the gun on it. There's an argument that they are a few years early.
Eh, I'm not sure there really is a "too early" with something like this. Someone has to get the ball rolling. If they waited, it would only push back further the first generation that can truly run ray-tracing adequately, and content that takes advantage of it.

11. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 15, 2019, 22:06 jdreyer

Ozmodan wrote on Apr 15, 2019, 13:14:
Everyone knows that ray tracing with current technology is merely a gimmick, yet Nvidia continues promoting this farce. Makes me want to completely avoid any of their products. Hopefully AMD will have decent gpu offerings in the fall.

It's not really a gimmick. It's the way it's meant to be played.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

10. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 15, 2019, 22:01 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 15, 2019, 11:01:
So now a game that runs 60+ fps on an iGPU will require a 2080ti to hit ~30 fps.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Says Nvidia.

9. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 15, 2019, 17:00 HorrorScope

Simon Says wrote on Apr 15, 2019, 13:30:
21 years old game...

So, don't expect fully path-traced games until at best 2040, perhaps even 2050, or maybe not even before 2100 seeing as we already hit the frequency brick wall

Life and tech aren't linear like that. Perhaps we'll never get there, but then again we can get there in a matter of a handful of years as well. How the hell would we really know where this is at and going unless you are balls deep into systems design? Too many on this site are such negative nelleys now to new tech.

8. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 15, 2019, 16:57 HorrorScope

Everyone knows that ray tracing with current technology is merely a gimmick, yet Nvidia continues promoting this farce. Makes me want to completely avoid any of their products. Hopefully AMD will have decent gpu offerings in the fall.

If I ever need salt I'll know where to look.

7. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 15, 2019, 15:55 Spektr

edaciousx wrote on Apr 15, 2019, 10:53:
Cool! Q2 was one of the best Games I played growing up. It's how I became a fan of this site and fps gaming
Me too with Quake

6. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 15, 2019, 13:30 Simon Says

21 years old game...

Gives you a rough guesstimate for when you'll be able to play fully path-traced AAA games. And btw, it's about the same amount of time it took the movie industry to go from their first raster+ray-traced mixed rendering in the late 80's/early 90's to their first fully path-traced movies in late 2000's.

And that's only if the computing power can grow at the same rate as it did from the early 90's to late 2000's. Hint: It's already much slower. The first GPUs perf doubled every 2 years in the 90's. Nowadays, when you hit 10-15% per year, they call it a success...

So, don't expect fully path-traced games until at best 2040, perhaps even 2050, or maybe not even before 2100 seeing as we already hit the frequency brick wall and we're gonna hit the miniaturization brick wall pretty soon. GPUs are pretty much already at the limit of scaling with more than 4096 cores yielding minimal gains according to Amdahl's law ( a real scientific law this one, not Moore's fake "law" ).

I wouldn't hold my breath, chances are, most of us will die before fully path-traced games of the year become a reality.

5. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 15, 2019, 13:27 edaciousx

Beamer wrote on Apr 15, 2019, 13:16:

Everything starts as a gimmick. Remember bump mapping? The first generation hardly used it. But there's a chicken-and-egg problem, and someone needs to move first and create something to build upon.

I remember AA from 3DFX. Incredible performance hit but looked awesome. We're in the same scenario again.

4. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 15, 2019, 13:16 Beamer

Everything starts as a gimmick. Remember bump mapping? The first generation hardly used it. But there's a chicken-and-egg problem, and someone needs to move first and create something to build upon.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

3. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 15, 2019, 13:14 Ozmodan

2. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 15, 2019, 11:01 RedEye9

So now a game that runs 60+ fps on an iGPU will require a 2080ti to hit ~30 fps.  

“Yeah, I’d like to order one large phone with extra phones, please.” “Cell phone. No-no-no-no, rotary! And pay phone on half.”

1. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 15, 2019, 10:53 edaciousx

Cool! Q2 was one of the best Games I played growing up. It's how I became a fan of this site and fps gaming  

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo