Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Morning Tech Bits

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 15, 2019, 18:14 NKD

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 15, 2019, 17:48:
NKD wrote on Apr 15, 2019, 17:39:
Windows would have to get a lot worse than 10 before I switched to something else. Like, I mean, it would have to just stop booting entirely or just not be able to run games anymore.
I'd agree both inertia and game compatibility are top reasons to stick with Windows. But some of their recent updates are certainly pushing the limits... deleting files, causing major slow downs, and in limited cases causing crashes and boot problems. I'll stick with Win7 until at least January, and I suspect I'll be lazy and go with Win10 then, but these most recent problems certainly have me considering other possibilities.

The tipping point for me would be when the annoyance of running into games I can't run on Linux becomes less than the annoyance of enjoying games on Windows.

Outside of games, I'm fine with either OS really. Much of what I use outside of games is cross-platform or web-based anyway.

You've made a potential enemy today, sign!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 15, 2019, 17:48 Mr. Tact

NKD wrote on Apr 15, 2019, 17:39:
Windows would have to get a lot worse than 10 before I switched to something else. Like, I mean, it would have to just stop booting entirely or just not be able to run games anymore.
I'd agree both inertia and game compatibility are top reasons to stick with Windows. But some of their recent updates are certainly pushing the limits... deleting files, causing major slow downs, and in limited cases causing crashes and boot problems. I'll stick with Win7 until at least January, and I suspect I'll be lazy and go with Win10 then, but these most recent problems certainly have me considering other possibilities.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 15, 2019, 17:39 NKD

You've made a potential enemy today, sign!

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 15, 2019, 17:04 HorrorScope

Rift S is getting some decent word of mouth on the display, they changed panels to get better pixel density which I'm hearing has reduced screen door a lot and also is making text much easier to read. I'll be heading down to a Best Buy for a demo in the coming months to know for myself.  

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 15, 2019, 17:02 HorrorScope

Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Apr 15, 2019, 12:54:
If i had a dollar for every time someone though you could just stop using windows. I mean I guess you could, if you wanted to stop using everything while you were at it.

This. Feel free to go elsewhere, you aren't moving the needle.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 15, 2019, 14:39 HoSpanky

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 15, 2019, 13:21:
SirKnight wrote on Apr 15, 2019, 12:37:
I'm definitely more interested in the Rift S between the two. The fact that you no longer need sensors is great. What I found annoying was depending on if I want to do something standing or sitting, I'd have to move my sensors and go through the annoying setup each time. F that. I ended up not using my Rift much because of that and right now it's not plugged up and the software/drivers are not installed.

The Quest is cool, but the fact that Oculus is locking it down so tightly with what can and can't be put on it is lame. Unless there's a way to bypass that and sideload, there is no way I'm touching that system.

So rift looks very lacking in these new announcements. Even the windows WMR headset seems better than this.

I currently have a 1st Generation Rift and my cameras have burnt out before so yes getting the Inside out tracking is much better idea.

Honestly, I think Valve INDEX (Valve's new VR annoucement in May) might be the next headset i buy.

I’m hoping the Index brings some actual advancements, but I won’t be surprised if it doesn’t bring the single biggest advancement VR headsets need...foveated rendering (which requires eye tracking). It shifts the cost onto the headset more than the video card, which I’m sure headset makers aren’t keen on doing. Supposedly the tech exists and works great. You can GET eye tracking hardware for the vive, but it forces you to extend it away from your face, making your FOV even smaller.

The Knuckles controllers might be enough on their own to switch though. Hopefully they’ve also got a wireless option in the works so if you want to spend a bit more and stop tangling up just when the action gets intense, you could do that.

I should really stop speculating. It’ll all be answered in about a month.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 15, 2019, 13:21 Tipsy McStagger

SirKnight wrote on Apr 15, 2019, 12:37:
I'm definitely more interested in the Rift S between the two. The fact that you no longer need sensors is great. What I found annoying was depending on if I want to do something standing or sitting, I'd have to move my sensors and go through the annoying setup each time. F that. I ended up not using my Rift much because of that and right now it's not plugged up and the software/drivers are not installed.

The Quest is cool, but the fact that Oculus is locking it down so tightly with what can and can't be put on it is lame. Unless there's a way to bypass that and sideload, there is no way I'm touching that system.

So rift looks very lacking in these new announcements. Even the windows WMR headset seems better than this.

I currently have a 1st Generation Rift and my cameras have burnt out before so yes getting the Inside out tracking is much better idea.

Honestly, I think Valve INDEX (Valve's new VR annoucement in May) might be the next headset i buy.

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 15, 2019, 12:54 Riahderymnmaddog

If i had a dollar for every time someone though you could just stop using windows. I mean I guess you could, if you wanted to stop using everything while you were at it.  

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 15, 2019, 12:37 SirKnight

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 15, 2019, 10:10 RedEye9

Windows 10 Is Doing A Great Job Persuading People To Switch To A Different Operating System
If you are aware of the problems with 10 you're capable of switching.
2013 2015 2019 2021 will be year of the Linux.
A large percentage of my customers could use Linux and never know the difference.

“Yeah, I’d like to order one large phone with extra phones, please.” “Cell phone. No-no-no-no, rotary! And pay phone on half.”

1. Re: Terry Gou Apr 15, 2019, 09:57 Bill Borre

Only 45 years of Gouging? How considerate.  

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo