Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Star Wars: The Old Republic Onslaught Announced

The Star Wars: The Old Republic Developer Blog announces Onslaught, a new expansion coming to Star Wars: The Old Republic in September. This will add a couple of new planets, a new operation, new abilities, and will increase the level cap in the Force-powered MMORPG. Here's more on what to expect:

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Onslaught puts you at the center of the reignited war between the Galactic Republic and the Sith Empire. Will you remain loyal to your faction or work to undermine and sabotage their war efforts? The choice is yours.

Explore two new planets, a new Flashpoint on the war-torn world of Corellia, a new Operation set in the lush jungles of Dxun and more! Reap the spoils of war with reworked itemization, an increased level cap, and new abilities. Star Wars: The Old Republic: Onslaught is coming September 2019, free to all subscribers!

The War Reignites!
War between the Galactic Republic and Sith Empire blazes across the galaxy. Crucial resources dwindle as piracy and crime escalate dramatically. Amid this chaos, the Alliance Commander has the chance to tip the scales in favor of either faction, committing their elite forces to decide the fate of the galaxy.

As the Sith Empire prepares to make a decisive strike against a newly-constructed Republic shipyard on the planet Corellia, members of the Dark Council see victory on the horizon and begin plotting against one another in anticipation of the spoils. Meanwhile, Republic forces must race against time to muster reinforcements from across the galaxy in order to defend Corellia from the Sith.

A Classic from the Old Republic
The search for allies leads to Onderon, a planet of untamed jungles and savage beasts. For centuries, Onderon has been a loyal member of the Republic – but will the planet’s newly-crowned King maintain that ancient allegiance?

Galactic Crossroads
Travel to Mek-Sha, an independent fueling station and boomtown built in the hollows of a mined-out asteroid once controlled by the Hutts. This lawless den of smugglers, pirates, mercenaries, traders, and refugees has become a crossroads for the entire galaxy – a place where opportunity and danger can be found in equal measure.

Return to Corellia
In the dramatic finale of the expansion storyline, you will see Corellia like never before! This new Flashpoint will bring players to a new area on the classic SWTOR planet Corellia for both solo and group players.

Play with Friends
Dxun, Onderon’s largest moon, is teeming with wild jungle-life – drawing the attention of the unscrupulous Czerka Corporation as well as a band of fanatical Trandoshan hunters. The Operation will be available at launch, so gather your friends and prepare for one of the galaxy’s greatest challenges!

The Spoils of War
Our philosophy for this expansion is, play your way. Items have always been an important part of your character’s identity, but for the first time we are offering true depth and choice with exciting new items that let you decide how to play in the upcoming battle.

One of the ways that we’re adding this depth is with an entirely new type of gear slot – Tactical items. These build-defining items directly alter your abilities and playstyle. Taking these new items, players will be able to pair them with numerous new set bonuses to choose from, including general sets that can be used by everyone.

These item sets can be acquired through multiple paths. Acquire your gear no matter how you choose to play: Player vs Environment, Player vs Player, Galactic Command, and Crafting are all viable. New set items, Tactical items, and more open a pathway to limitless depth allowing you to play your character exactly how you want!

Begin Your Onslaught
Star Wars: The Old Republic: Onslaught is coming September 2019, free for all subscribers! Jump in today and begin your preparations for the next great galactic war. How will you tip the scales in the upcoming conflict?

Stay tuned for more information on Star Wars: The Old Republic: Onslaught!

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Onslaught Announced Apr 15, 2019, 21:35 Jivaro

Playing this game F2P is like banging your head against a brick paywall. Paywalls everywhere, from UI extensions to story content to PVP.

I love the game (we all have our weaknesses, mine is Star Wars) but I have always said that if you aren't willing to pay for a sub you shouldn't even bother. Also, if you hate WoW style combat you should skip it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Onslaught Announced Apr 15, 2019, 12:21 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Apr 14, 2019, 21:17:
Emo Jedi? Lol!
Anakin was pretty emo in the new trilogy, so there's precedent.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

10. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Onslaught Announced Apr 15, 2019, 02:17 Armengar

the f2p used to be quite restrictive if I remember, the xp gain restriction was quite grindy on an already grindy game.

Still there was certainly stuff you could do and it wasnt as bad as f2p dnd.

I still think the best f2p is star trek online; loads to do for f2p. NWNO is ok too. Id skip star wars unless you are a hardcore fan.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

9. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Onslaught Announced Apr 14, 2019, 22:15 StingingVelvet

Turd Ferguson wrote on Apr 14, 2019, 21:42:
I tried it on friends account, long ago, right after beta and from what I remember it was mostly a vast world, vastly empty with a lot of fetch quests, go talk to... and push a button quests.

I mean, it's a WOW style MMO. That's how they all are. It is what it is. When it went free to play I got a decent time waster of a campaign out of it with the Imperial Assassin, but it being an MMO with grindy B.S. brings it way down. Wish we got a singleplayer of that campaign, likely would have been pretty good.

8. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Onslaught Announced Apr 14, 2019, 21:42 Turd Ferguson

I tried it on friends account, long ago, right after beta and from what I remember it was mostly a vast world, vastly empty with a lot of fetch quests, go talk to... and push a button quests.

Definitely would be more inclined to go through the grind if the gfx were on par with the CGI in the cinematic, but if it's F2P, it doesn't hurt to give it a go.

Old Republic canon is boring? lets agree to disagree here, lol, it's SW for grown ups Lightsaber duels, death and destruction!

I for one love the old canon, powerful Sith & Jedi, ruthless Eternal Empire, in fact, I can't wait to see what David Benioff and D.B. Weiss will do with that portion of SW universe, if it's anything like Game of Thrones, it's going to be epic.

+1 for Kotor 3

7. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Onslaught Announced Apr 14, 2019, 21:17 Cutter

Emo Jedi? Lol!

“There are three kinds of men. The ones that learn by readin’. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” - Will Rogers

6. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Onslaught Announced Apr 14, 2019, 19:20 CJ_Parker

Turd Ferguson wrote on Apr 14, 2019, 18:47:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfjWANrhl5g

Best 24min ever but... is it worth playing?

I stopped playing SWTOR after the first episode of that Knights of the Eternal Throne crap. That shit definitely was not worth playing. It was boring as fuck with a weird story, weird emo characters like that Vaylin chick and the gameplay was intentionally super-simple, super-easy (even easier and more simple than the class story content) so even total n00bs could finish it.

The game is F2P tho so anyone can check it out for themselves (if you can bear the F2P restrictions).
Some of the class stories are actually pretty good for a MMO. The expansions (Rise of the Hutt Cartel and Revan) up to that Knights of the Eternal Throne stuff are mostly OK, too. It's certainly sorta fun exploring all the planets and stuff like that at first.

As most MMOs the real game a.k.a gear grind starts once you are max level. I got tired of that shit very quickly since you will end up running the same ol' flashpoints (dungeons) or operations over and over and over...
Being in a guild is almost a must at that point or it won't be very enjoyable.

Task wrote on Apr 14, 2019, 19:15:
I'm holding up hope that since they've continued to work on that maybe Disney and EA will greenlight a single player only Kotor 3.

Seems very doubtful. The Old Republic setting was always a crutch to work around any continuity issues with regard to movie content. Now that GL is out of the picture I doubt that anyone at Lucas/Disney is really into expanding that setting.

In fact, I hope so. Fuck the Old Republic. It's boring. Thousands of years before the movies and it's always the same old crap... the Jedi are on the verge of extinction... oh no, wait... now the Sith are on the verge of extinction... and now it's the Jedi again... rinse, repeat ad nauseam.

I'd rather see more games set in the Episode III - Episode IX timeframe which cross paths with events we have seen in the movies or that run tangentially along them in an intelligent manner.

Like, let's see a Wedge Antilles X-Wing game for starters!

This comment was edited on Apr 14, 2019, 19:30.

5. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Onslaught Announced Apr 14, 2019, 19:15 Task

If the gameplay looked as good as that CGI, I'd be more interested in it. I'm holding up hope that since they've continued to work on that maybe Disney and EA will greenlight a single player only Kotor 3.  

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

4. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Onslaught Announced Apr 14, 2019, 18:47 Turd Ferguson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfjWANrhl5g

Best 24min ever but... is it worth playing?

3. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Apr 14, 2019, 14:57 Stormsinger

On a very remote tangent, I occasionally wonder if they ever managed to rewrite the game engine to use the commercial version of PostgreSQL instead of Oracle. I believe they vastly underestimated the amount of work it would take to make up for the features missing from the database.  

2. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Onslaught Announced Apr 14, 2019, 13:49 wraithnix

No, you can't buy the expansions, they are free to all subscribers at launch. If they follow the model of previous expansions, they will eventually become free for F2P players, too.  

1. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Onslaught Announced Apr 14, 2019, 13:32 Bill Borre

Can you still buy expansions for this game? I think after the first couple expansions that you could purchase they reverted back to a subscription model. So after flirting with F2P they're the same as WOW at this point.  

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo