Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Into the Black

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: Into the Black Apr 16, 2019, 00:44 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Apr 15, 2019, 16:02:
RedEye9 wrote on Apr 15, 2019, 09:47:
Odd
I must have missed the Force jump and Light Saber in nbnw. Grin

He used the force to direct the biplane into the tanker truck. How did you miss that?

The pilot had a low midichlorian count to counter the suicidal influence.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Into the Black Apr 15, 2019, 16:34 Mr. Tact

Haha. That didn't occur to me, I figured it was some new acronym I wasn't familiar with..  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

38. Re: Into the Black Apr 15, 2019, 16:02 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 15, 2019, 09:47:
Odd

He used the force to direct the biplane into the tanker truck. How did you miss that?

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

37. Re: Into the Black Apr 15, 2019, 15:31 Kxmode

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 15, 2019, 09:55:
nbnw?

North by Northwest

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

36. Re: Into the Black Apr 15, 2019, 09:55 Mr. Tact

nbnw?  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

35. Re: Into the Black Apr 15, 2019, 09:47 RedEye9

Odd

I want to shut the noise out and reconnect to my inner thoughts on the road to feeling more at one with myself. Fleabag

34. Re: Re: Into the Black Apr 15, 2019, 00:56 Sepharo

Kxmode wrote on Apr 15, 2019, 00:46:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 13, 2019, 15:15:
At least Rian Johnson was trying to do something interesting with TLJ, flawed though that film was. With JJ at the helm of this latest one, I have little hope that it will be anything other than a schlocky cash grab. TFA was derivative trash.

Rogue One is the best of the recent movies. With Solo coming in second. Donald Glovers Lando has been the best character of the recent spare of films. I want to see his movie.

That first 20-30 seconds of the trailer rips off North by Northwest frame-for-frame. Is Abrams incapable of making an original Star Wars film?! For goodness sake, for all the faults the prequels had at least it was original.

It's terribly cliche at this point but still true... great artists steal.

33. Re: Into the Black Apr 15, 2019, 00:46 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Apr 13, 2019, 15:15:
At least Rian Johnson was trying to do something interesting with TLJ, flawed though that film was. With JJ at the helm of this latest one, I have little hope that it will be anything other than a schlocky cash grab. TFA was derivative trash.

Rogue One is the best of the recent movies. With Solo coming in second. Donald Glovers Lando has been the best character of the recent spare of films. I want to see his movie.

That first 20-30 seconds of the trailer rips off North by Northwest frame-for-frame. Is Abrams incapable of making an original Star Wars film?! For goodness sake, for all the faults the prequels had at least it was original.

32. Re: Into the Black Apr 13, 2019, 15:15 jdreyer

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

31. Re: Into the Black Apr 13, 2019, 14:49 Sepharo

The weird thing is I liked TLJ and saw my story prediction up there as a continuation of the themes it put in place... Thought I was trolling y'all but instead you guys like it. Shrug.  

30. Re: Into the Black Apr 13, 2019, 14:33 jdreyer

Sepharo wrote on Apr 12, 2019, 17:49:
Palpatine comes back (maybe with Swolo's help), Sidious uses the same technique to bring back Luke (Rise of Skywalker) who is now corrupted and on the dark side (as the emperor wanted in ROTJ). Kylo still hates Luke so he helps Rey defeat him and Sheev. Also Leia dies of a broken heart after hearing about Luke, but Ben Solo is redeemed and Rey is the hero. Yoda shows up at the end and pops through the Looney Toons circle and says "All Folks That Is"

That would probably be better than what they actually have planned. You should replace JJ.

29. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Apr 13, 2019, 12:28 El Pit

Bumpy wrote on Apr 13, 2019, 10:11:
I just want some sort of satisfying closure of the old school Star Wars.

It's just been a mess of senseless character kill offs so far.

After that, they can bugger up and do whatever the heck they want with the new EMO SJW generation of misfits.

The absolutely satisfying closure to the Skywalker saga (including the prequels) was Return of the Jedi. There was no need for another Star Wars movie based on Anakin and/or Luke and Leia after RotJ except for guaranteed $$$.

Star Wars should have continued at least a hundred years after the Endor battle. This was what I was hoping for when I heard that Disney bought Star Wars. But shareholders hate risks and want guaranteed money, so the Mousepire went with the classic characters only to kill them off one movie each.

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

28. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Apr 13, 2019, 10:11 Bumpy

I just want some sort of satisfying closure of the old school Star Wars.

It's just been a mess of senseless character kill offs so far.

After that, they can bugger up and do whatever the heck they want with the new EMO SJW generation of misfits.

27. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Apr 13, 2019, 09:07 Drath71

I've never been less interested in seeing a Star Wars movie. It's gone from fun people, awesome action, etc to just a bunch of whatevers doing whatever.  

26. Re: Into the Black Apr 13, 2019, 07:08 sliv

If you think that all that I lost with the utterly horrible, shameful handling of the seminal iconic characters ALONE on Disney's watch is $12 then I don't even know where to start.

"Good. Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you."

I think of the sequel trilogy as fan movies with huge budgets. The Skywalker saga ended with Return of the Jedi.

And that's perfect, leave it at that. There are several movies they made sequels for that I either didn't bother to watch or thought it wasn't necessary and take the first movie as the story ends there.

The fact of the matter is Disney owns the IP and paid a lot of money for it. If they want to run it to the ground which people seem to think they are, they have every right to. I don't see it that way and, no, they can't take my childhood away. If movies made today takes away from your experiences from your past then, in my opinion, that's pretty lame.

The only exception that I can see is Solo, which I think is probably the best of all the new Star Wars material.

Interesting, I wasn't a big fan of that one. I didn't think it was "bad" or worth a ton of criticism but didn't feel it was completely necessary. I liked the idea that Han and Lando had a shady past with Chewie along for the ride and us not knowing the full history there. The "fair and square" line in Empire was an inside joke that I was perfectly fine not needing to be in on it.

25. Re: Into the Black Apr 13, 2019, 06:24 Burrito of Peace

My opinion is that Star Wars became the very thing it initially set out to set itself apart from. When A New Hope was released, it was a space opera western where the "hero" wasn't a square jawed, all American boy scout facing off against a banal, evil villain where the hero wins just by the virtues of being good and just and saves the helpless damsel in distress.

You weren't supposed to like the villain yet Darth Vader was a badass that people really liked. Luke was a whiny little shit and Leia was anything but helpless. Han wasn't the wise old mentor, he was like the guy you knew who drove down to Mexico in an old Ford Econoline van to bring a couple of keys of weed back.

The good guys don't "win" without sacrifice or without a token sacrifice. In Star Wars, people died on-screen in non-trivial ways and the heroes, if they are that, have to make some hard sacrifices as well as face some very ugly, personal truths. These are all things that were not so viscerally present in mainstream sci-fi movies up to that point.

The thing that also differentiated Star Wars from other sci-fi properties of the day is that the Star Wars universe looked lived in. Ships were dirty, well used, and worn. People wore clothing that looked like those clothes had seen more than a few hard washes. Only the Empire had that squeaky clean look to everything.

The new Star Wars movies no longer have those subtle (and sometimes not so subtle), differentiating cues nor do they have those relatable characters. The only exception that I can see is Solo, which I think is probably the best of all the new Star Wars material.

I'll go see the new Star Wars in a theater because Mrs. Burrito is a goddamned Star Wars lunatic and that will make her happy. I don't plan to go in hating it but I will be going in with low expectations based upon the most recent movies (barring Solo). Hopefully Disney ditches Abrams and Johnson for future Star Wars movies and gives them to someone who gets the universe without trying to bait and switch the audience and isn't in love with CGI for the sake of CGI.

24. Re: Into the Black Apr 13, 2019, 05:25 subx

It’s a neat trick to manage to make you wish George was still in control, after what he pulled.

23. Re: Into the Black Apr 13, 2019, 02:48 El Pit

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 12, 2019, 20:56:
Brazor wrote on Apr 12, 2019, 18:27:
I'm wondering if that's old footage of Carrie they are using.
Read a tidbit indicating at least some of it is previously unused footage. I'd guess they'll also throw in some CGI footage...

During the Star Wars panel in Chicago yesterday JJA said that they did not use a CGI Leia. It is all Carrie Fisher (RIP) herself. They used scenes that did not make the final cut in TFA and TLJ and actually wrote situations based on those existing scenes in the new screenplay. I hope it works because this sounds really clumsy and weird.

For some scenes showing only Leia's back, they may have used stand-ins. No CGI needed, just the right costume and wig.

22. Re: Into the Black Apr 13, 2019, 02:43 El Pit

Prez wrote on Apr 13, 2019, 00:53:
Star Wars was my childhood growing up. I had seen A New Hope 8 times by the time I was 7 in 1977. I made my parents pay me my allowance in Star Wars action figures. My room was painted to look like the Death Star interior. I asked my parents buy me a dozen X-Wing and Tie Fighter toys and stormtrooper and rebel soldier figures as Xmas and birthday gifts because I wanted to reenact the epic space and ground battles and only one of each wouldn't cut it. At Halloween every year the question was "which Star Wars character as you going as this year?"

If you think that all that I lost with the utterly horrible, shameful handling of the seminal iconic characters ALONE on Disney's watch is $12 then I don't even know where to start.

Exactly. Prez perfectly expressed how many old school fans - including myself - feel about Disney Wars (especially The Last Jedi).

I think of the sequel trilogy as fan movies with huge budgets. The Skywalker saga ended with Return of the Jedi.

21. Re: Into the Black Apr 13, 2019, 00:53 Prez

sliv wrote on Apr 12, 2019, 23:18:

For the love of it, save the $12, please...

Star Wars was my childhood growing up. I had seen A New Hope 8 times by the time I was 7 in 1977. I made my parents pay me my allowance in Star Wars action figures. My room was painted to look like the Death Star interior. I asked my parents buy me a dozen X-Wing and Tie Fighter toys and stormtrooper and rebel soldier figures as Xmas and birthday gifts because I wanted to reenact the epic space and ground battles and only one of each wouldn't cut it. At Halloween every year the question was "which Star Wars character as you going as this year?"

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo