Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

More from Tim Sweeney on the Epic Games Store

We reported a roundup of Tim Sweeney tweets last week, and as noted on DSOGaming, the Epic Games CEO continues to answer questions about the Epic Games Store, including an expansion of his explanation of why partnering with Chinese publisher Tencent does not expose their customers to spying. Here's another roundup of pertinent tweets:

11:34 AM - Apr 10, 2019: "The Epic Games store is open to games powered by all engines. Developers are free to use whatever online services they prefer including SteamWorks. Epic’s online services are open to all games using any engine, any platform, and any store. See: Epic Online Services."

: "Investors have access to Epic’s financial statements. For an example what’s in a company’s financial statement, look up EA’s financial statement online (it’s publicly available). Investors do not have access to Epic customer data."

: "Tencent has no access to customer data. The Terms of Service references data shared between Epic’s wholly owned international subsidiaries (which exist to process purchases and pay tax around the world). Tencent is an investor only and is not covered by that language."

: Epic Games login data has not been leaked. Rather, hackers use databases of email address and password combinations that were leaked from other sites, and attempt to login to Epic and other services using the same credentials. (Always use a unique password everywhere.)

: Yes, Epic is investing heavily to bring free games and exclusives to the store to bring in new gamers and grow the store customer base. Simultaneously we’re building lots of features, but are going full speed ahead on games without waiting. That’s the essence of our strategy.

: Making older Epic games available on the Epic Games store is completely logical and something we’re looking into in the background, but this isn’t coming shortly.

: "Later in 2019, sorry we can’t move faster!" (In response to a question about when the store will accept submissions from smaller indie developers.)

View
68 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

68. Re: More from Tim Sweeney on the Epic Games Store Apr 12, 2019, 18:47 Jivaro

These are some EPIC tears.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

67. Re: More from Tim Sweeney on the Epic Games Store Apr 12, 2019, 14:05 Flatline

Will W wrote on Apr 11, 2019, 16:12:
Flatline wrote on Apr 11, 2019, 13:02:
Will W wrote on Apr 11, 2019, 09:05:
I'm all for another place I can buy games. Most of what I get these days doesn't even come from steam, but I will pay extra for a game with a steam code so I can keep it all in once place. I'm 100% against exclusives though and won't buy from the Epic store as long as they are using their money to reduce my options.

In my opinion, there are a couple of ways they could have gone about this without doing exclusives.

• If developers/publishers are saving 18% by putting the games on Epic's store, why not give the consumer a 9% discount and keep the other 9% for themselves.

• If developers/publishers put the games up on steam for 17% more, they will make the same money on each sale and let the consumer decide if Steam's interface and features are worth the extra premium

• So you're blaming Epic for publisher decisions? Seriously? Epic doesn't set the price, the publisher does. If you want a discount, go bitch at the publisher.

No, I'm stating that I won't purchase from a particular reseller (Epic) due to that businesses's practice of using large pay-offs to secure exclusive rights to distribute a game and thus preventing me from purchasing that game from my preferred reseller. I understand the confusion based on my switch from the first paragraph to the bullet points where I focus first on epic and then on the developers/publishers. I could have worded that differently. Thank you for the constructive criticism.

It still reads like you're saying that a solution for Epic to avoid the exclusives is to pass the discount on to the players.

I don't think you get how pricing works. The publisher says "I want you to charge X for this game on your market". Epic says "okay" and then takes a cut out of that. They don't add a surcharge onto whatever X is.

Plus, I imagine there are agreements all over the place that you won't go below MSRP as a standard price on a different platform. So like, I would be amazed if contractually Steam didn't say "the standard price on Steam's platform must be the same as the standard price on any other platform".

I personally wouldn't do business with a game publisher who charged 10% less on Epic's platform than it did on my platform.

66. Re: More from Tim Sweeney on the Epic Games Store Apr 12, 2019, 13:07 MacLeod

Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Apr 11, 2019, 18:46:
    Did you create an account in the past to play fortnight? I had created one in the past to download Unreal Engine with dreams of making something.

Nope. Then I'd expect the account to have some part of my real info, and I'd also expect the region of the account to be US, not Russia.

(I reset the password, and logged into it to look at the account info since it was going to my email anyway.)

65. Re: More from Tim Sweeney on the Epic Games Store Apr 12, 2019, 07:52 Kain

jdreyer wrote on Apr 12, 2019, 03:48:
    I dunno, he said he wanted them all in one place. Doesn't that cover it?

He still needs to buy the games at various platforms, keep all of those other storefront apps installed, updated, run them periodically to keep the games themselves up to date and so on. If you don't do this you run into console syndrome where you have like an hour to game before the missus gets home but your console wants to update its firmware, oh then the game needs to patch and before you know it time is up. Or just keep a growing number of these silly things running 24/7 and have your notification area look like a circus. I have pretty high system specs so that's what I do but its annoying.

Just an aside but fuck Origin for never properly storing its login cookie.

64. Re: More from Tim Sweeney on the Epic Games Store Apr 12, 2019, 04:16 Sepharo

jdreyer wrote on Apr 12, 2019, 03:48:
    Sepharo wrote on Apr 12, 2019, 03:34:
    jdreyer wrote on Apr 12, 2019, 02:34:
    I'm all for another place I can buy games. Most of what I get these days doesn't even come from steam, but I will pay extra for a game with a steam code so I can keep it all in once place. I'm 100% against exclusives though and won't buy from the Epic store as long as they are using their money to reduce my options.

You can add any game to Steam from any other platform.

That's simply some shortcut functionality and likely not what he meant.
    You get nothing more out of that than you would having an icon to click on a desktop, now instead the icon is in Steam. It doesn't transfer between computers, you can't download it from Steam, etc. etc.

No, it sounds like your being intentionally obtuse.

63. Re: More from Tim Sweeney on the Epic Games Store Apr 12, 2019, 03:50 jdreyer

aka_STEVE wrote on Apr 11, 2019, 13:13:
    These EPIC Store debates are getting better action than a Star Citizen thread ....

BREAKING: Star Citizen announced as Epic Game Store exclusive!

Devilish

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

62. Re: More from Tim Sweeney on the Epic Games Store Apr 12, 2019, 03:48 jdreyer

Sepharo wrote on Apr 12, 2019, 03:34:

You get nothing more out of that than you would having an icon to click on a desktop, now instead the icon is in Steam. It doesn't transfer between computers, you can't download it from Steam, etc. etc.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

61. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2019, 03:48 jdreyer

Blue wrote on Apr 11, 2019, 16:31:
    There are plenty of places that welcome discussion of your rationales for piracy.

This is not one of them.

Please desist.

Sooo, you're telling them to walk the plank?

Pirate

60. Re: More from Tim Sweeney on the Epic Games Store Apr 12, 2019, 03:34 Sepharo

59. Re: More from Tim Sweeney on the Epic Games Store Apr 12, 2019, 02:34 jdreyer

Don't like exclusives? I guess you don't play Battlefield or Battlefront, eh?

58. Re: More from Tim Sweeney on the Epic Games Store Apr 11, 2019, 22:00 Sepharo

jdreyer wrote on Apr 11, 2019, 21:45:
    Beamer wrote on Apr 11, 2019, 08:42:
    Throwing money at development does not speed it up, after a certain point.

Case in point, Star Citizen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mythical_Man-Month

57. Re: More from Tim Sweeney on the Epic Games Store Apr 11, 2019, 21:45 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Apr 11, 2019, 08:42:
    Throwing money at development does not speed it up, after a certain point.

Case in point, Star Citizen.

EDIT: Goddammit, ninja'd by Redeye in comment #6.

This comment was edited on Apr 12, 2019, 03:49.

56. Re: More from Tim Sweeney on the Epic Games Store Apr 11, 2019, 21:29 Acleacius

The problem is he half assed it and bribing publishers with cashback and gamers with free games.

He screwed over thousands of gamers who wanted it on Steam but didn't want to buy until release, because you know bugs and reviews. Why wasn't the epic store ready when he initially bribed out metro assexodus? Why isn't it fully functional and fixed, yet. Why is he still making excuses and promises?

He's a HalfAsser. Middlefinger

'The Republican Party Has Become the Most Dangerous Organization in World History'. Chomsky

55. Re: More from Tim Sweeney on the Epic Games Store Apr 11, 2019, 18:59 RedEye9

Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Apr 11, 2019, 18:46:
    MacLeod wrote on Apr 11, 2019, 18:19:
    Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Apr 11, 2019, 15:42:
    I just checked if i could make an account with a random email address and you know what? Your fucking correct.

I also requested to change my password on my account and never received an email to do so. (as of yet anyways)

But i have to ask what would be ones motivation of creating an account with your email address?

I know i cant create a Twich account with my email address, but thought it was because if you spell Riahderymnmaddog backwards you get God Damn My Red Hair.

I have no clue. I'm assuming they're some sort of burner account to do something... literally had "asdfsf asdjkqwe" as the name on the account.

Did you create an account in the past to play fortnight? I had created one in the past to download Unreal Engine with dreams of making something.
    I too created one to checkout the new Unreal Tournament. Played it for ten minutes. About a year later I got a single notification about an attempt on my account yada yada.
    I already had a secure password but changed it again just for grins.
    So far so good.

“Yeah, I’d like to order one large phone with extra phones, please.” “Cell phone. No-no-no-no, rotary! And pay phone on half.”

54. Re: More from Tim Sweeney on the Epic Games Store Apr 11, 2019, 18:46 Riahderymnmaddog

MacLeod wrote on Apr 11, 2019, 18:19:
    I just checked if i could make an account with a random email address and you know what? Your fucking correct.

I also requested to change my password on my account and never received an email to do so. (as of yet anyways)

But i have to ask what would be ones motivation of creating an account with your email address?

I know i cant create a Twich account with my email address, but thought it was because if you spell Riahderymnmaddog backwards you get God Damn My Red Hair.

I have no clue. I'm assuming they're some sort of burner account to do something... literally had "asdfsf asdjkqwe" as the name on the account.

53. Re: More from Tim Sweeney on the Epic Games Store Apr 11, 2019, 18:19 MacLeod

52. Re: More from Tim Sweeney on the Epic Games Store Apr 11, 2019, 17:49 Kxmode

aka_STEVE wrote on Apr 11, 2019, 13:13:
    These EPIC Store debates are getting better action than a Star Citizen thread ....

Well, EGS exclusives affects EVERY Steam user/shopper/supporter so quite naturally the popcorn is bigger and saltier.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

51. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2019, 16:31  Blue 

There are plenty of places that welcome discussion of your rationales for piracy.

This is not one of them.

Please desist.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
    Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

50. Re: More from Tim Sweeney on the Epic Games Store Apr 11, 2019, 16:12 Will W

Flatline wrote on Apr 11, 2019, 13:02:

In my opinion, there are a couple of ways they could have gone about this without doing exclusives.

• If developers/publishers are saving 18% by putting the games on Epic's store, why not give the consumer a 9% discount and keep the other 9% for themselves.

• If developers/publishers put the games up on steam for 17% more, they will make the same money on each sale and let the consumer decide if Steam's interface and features are worth the extra premium

• So you're blaming Epic for publisher decisions? Seriously? Epic doesn't set the price, the publisher does. If you want a discount, go bitch at the publisher.

No, I'm stating that I won't purchase from a particular reseller (Epic) due to that businesses's practice of using large pay-offs to secure exclusive rights to distribute a game and thus preventing me from purchasing that game from my preferred reseller. I understand the confusion based on my switch from the first paragraph to the bullet points where I focus first on epic and then on the developers/publishers. I could have worded that differently. Thank you for the constructive criticism.

49. Re: More from Tim Sweeney on the Epic Games Store Apr 11, 2019, 15:51 Sepharo

robdot wrote on Apr 11, 2019, 15:41:
    I bought metro at GameStop. I put the disk in my PS4 ,it installed and patched. I then played it. Beat it. Then sold it back to gamestop for 32.00. I repeat this process all year long. The last digital game I bought,was beat saber. Which works seamlessly on my psvr. I don't know why anyone continues to fuck around with pc gaming. Seems like a lot of work just to pirate a game.

I can't tell if you're doing a thing or if you're really an anti-pc gaming guy on a pc gaming site.

68 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo