Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Morning Legal Briefs

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 12, 2019, 19:19 Dwarf-Snowninja

Been illegal in this state since the early 90s, mostly because people would futz with the cords and/or blast the music loud enough that they'd have trouble hearing or make it difficult to hear (Sound blockers, yes I've seen people using these nowadays on the highway...); there's allowances for using just one ala hands-free, speakerphones and whatnot.

My money would be more on someone flattening a pedestrian or hitting another vehicle resulting in a fatality that was caused by the driver playing around with their headphones, but that's just a guess (and my own experience with Seattle traffic for several decades).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 12, 2019, 12:24 Simon Says

Creston wrote on Apr 12, 2019, 08:32:
I doubt it. Let's say the US goes all out, and actually manages to get the EU to extradite, promising not to kill Assange, and then they kill him anyway.

The EU will never, EVER again extradite another person to the US until the heat death of the universe. Would that result really be worth it for the sake of Assange?

There are punishments worse than death Creston... What about lifetime with daily torture and 10000 lumens prison cells every night + music blasting at 110db? They did that at Gitmo, no reason they can't with Assange, he's not a US citizen, heck he's not even a EU citizen ( Australian ), he's fair game for anything as far as US laws are concerned. No need to kill him.

Would the EU risk economic sanctions then for 1 more tortured guy? This can go bothways...

26. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 12, 2019, 12:21 Simon Says

Ozmodan wrote on Apr 12, 2019, 07:39:
I do not get how wearing earbuds that are connected to a phone is in any way considered distracted driving. Don't care whether the phone was dead or not, too many progressive nuts in Canada that only want to make life miserable for their constituents.

Nothing to do with "progressives". I could've said it was because of conservatives nuts tough on crime and shit, and I didn't, why? Because it has nothing to do with either of them. It's just stupid, period.

25. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 12, 2019, 08:32 Creston

Simon Says wrote on Apr 12, 2019, 06:28:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 12, 2019, 04:03:
The EU won't allow extradition to countries with the death penalty. So it seems unlikely that once in Sweden, he'll be extradited.

Unlikely, but not impossible. I wouldn't dismiss the possibility just yet. I suspect the US gov will do everything in it's power to circumvent, if not outright bypass, any obstacles so they can get their sham trial going.

I doubt it. Let's say the US goes all out, and actually manages to get the EU to extradite, promising not to kill Assange, and then they kill him anyway.

The EU will never, EVER again extradite another person to the US until the heat death of the universe. Would that result really be worth it for the sake of Assange?

24. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 12, 2019, 07:46 Ozmodan

Jonjonz wrote on Apr 12, 2019, 07:14:
This is all theatre, the whole carefully crafted "pathetic old man look", this will just lead to the eventual extradition into Trump controlled US Dept of Justice which will let him go with a weak slap on the wrists and give the fat orange buffon another chance to gloat and spew hate.

Considering this is a gaming site and throwing politics into the posts is quite juvenile since many of us get very tired of all the political nonsense on the net. Personally I think Trump is a pathetic person, but when you rail against him like this it just makes you look very infantile. Go post on facebook with this nonsense and leave this site for gaming comments.

23. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 12, 2019, 07:39 Ozmodan

I do not get how wearing earbuds that are connected to a phone is in any way considered distracted driving. Don't care whether the phone was dead or not, too many progressive nuts in Canada that only want to make life miserable for their constituents.  

22. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 12, 2019, 07:14 Jonjonz

This is all theatre, the whole carefully crafted "pathetic old man look", this will just lead to the eventual extradition into Trump controlled US Dept of Justice which will let him go with a weak slap on the wrists and give the fat orange buffon another chance to gloat and spew hate.  

There is nothing outside a person that by going in can defile, but things that come out are what defile.
Mark 7:1-8, 14-15, 21-23

21. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 12, 2019, 06:28 Simon Says

jdreyer wrote on Apr 12, 2019, 04:03:
The EU won't allow extradition to countries with the death penalty. So it seems unlikely that once in Sweden, he'll be extradited.

Unlikely, but not impossible. I wouldn't dismiss the possibility just yet. I suspect the US gov will do everything in it's power to circumvent, if not outright bypass, any obstacles so they can get their sham trial going.

20. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 12, 2019, 04:03 jdreyer

Simon Says wrote on Apr 12, 2019, 01:36:
From CNET

'On Thursday, the Justice Department unsealed court documents, dating back to March 2018, in connection with a federal charge of "conspiracy to commit computer intrusion for agreeing to break a password to a classified US government computer." (...) The Justice Department alleges that Assange encouraged Manning to provide him with classified records. During one exchange, the DOJ alleges, Manning told Assange "after this upload, that's all I really have got left," and Assange replied by saying, "curious eyes never run dry in my experience."'

"Curious eyes never run dry in my experience" That's it? If that's all they have on him, this will be a sham trial for sure.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

19. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 12, 2019, 03:56 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 11, 2019, 17:13:
In 2017 Ecuador elected a new President who disagreed with what
Julian did hence the boot. But if you think JA was told he needed to clean up his room lest he be evicted than you might not have read very much on the subject. JA didn't say to himself, "Hmm, I could shower and stay here or I could get kicked out and possibly get the death penalty from the greatest nation on Earth. I choose possible death."

His behavior had become increasingly erratic. To the point that he was becoming a security liability. Also, probably costing the Ecuadorans some money.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

18. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 12, 2019, 01:36 Simon Says

From CNET

'On Thursday, the Justice Department unsealed court documents, dating back to March 2018, in connection with a federal charge of "conspiracy to commit computer intrusion for agreeing to break a password to a classified US government computer." (...) The Justice Department alleges that Assange encouraged Manning to provide him with classified records. During one exchange, the DOJ alleges, Manning told Assange "after this upload, that's all I really have got left," and Assange replied by saying, "curious eyes never run dry in my experience."'

"Curious eyes never run dry in my experience" That's it? If that's all they have on him, this will be a sham trial for sure.

17. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 11, 2019, 18:57 Task

Seems some people and the U.S. Media are playing along. Even the U.N. is calling foul, because the specific charge sets a precedent punishing any journalist that handles leaked government information under U.S. Secrecy Laws.

If that's the slippery slope and sword people want to die on, then by all means. And no the Trump admin will not pardon him if he is extradited and tried in the U.S., Trump himself grossly said he should be killed because that's the vile kind of person he is.

The overall goal here is to criminalize reporting of classified docs. This goes back to punishment for war crimes that were exposed by Chelsey Manning, and people are going after her as well. Its completely bonkers. And no govt officials were punished for war crimes.

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

16. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 11, 2019, 17:41 Mr. Tact

He was elected in May 2017. It took him 22 months to figure out he didn't want Assange in the embassy? That said, his Wiki page reports Pence was in Ecuador:

"Following a June 2018 visit by U.S. Vice President Mike Pence, who agreed with President Moreno to improve the US-Ecuador relations which were strained under the presidency of Rafael Correa, Ecuador launched a security effort with the United States, including buying weapons, radar sets, six helicopters and other equipment, as well as cooperation with the U.S. will include training and intelligence sharing."

Quid pro quo?

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

15. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 11, 2019, 17:31 NKD

Trump will pardon him for all his hard work on "but her emails."  

You've made a potential enemy today, sign!

14. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 11, 2019, 17:13 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 11, 2019, 15:58:
RedEye9 wrote on Apr 11, 2019, 15:51:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 11, 2019, 14:13:
he'd still be at the embassy if he hadn't abused his privileges there.
I guarantee it had more to do with pressure from amerika and regime change in Ecuador. Wink
I'd agree Ecuador has been under pressure the whole time. But I can't imagine the Trump administration has impressed Ecuador. We will probably never really know "the truth" around this subject. But you'd have to think Assange's behavior didn't help his cause any.
In 2017 Ecuador elected a new President who disagreed with what
Julian did hence the boot. But if you think JA was told he needed to clean up his room lest he be evicted than you might not have read very much on the subject. JA didn't say to himself, "Hmm, I could shower and stay here or I could get kicked out and possibly get the death penalty from the greatest nation on Earth. I choose possible death."

“Yeah, I’d like to order one large phone with extra phones, please.” “Cell phone. No-no-no-no, rotary! And pay phone on half.”

13. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 11, 2019, 15:58 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 11, 2019, 15:51:
I guarantee it had more to do with pressure from amerika and regime change in Ecuador. Wink
I'd agree Ecuador has been under pressure the whole time. But I can't imagine the Trump administration has impressed Ecuador. We will probably never really know "the truth" around this subject. But you'd have to think Assange's behavior didn't help his cause any.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

12. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 11, 2019, 15:51 RedEye9

“Yeah, I’d like to order one large phone with extra phones, please.” “Cell phone. No-no-no-no, rotary! And pay phone on half.”

11. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 11, 2019, 14:13 jdreyer

Flatline wrote on Apr 11, 2019, 13:34:
Simon Says wrote on Apr 11, 2019, 09:00:
"Julian Assange- Wikileaks co-founder arrested in London"

Tis' a dark day that will undoubtedly go down in infamy.

Nah he's an egotistical asshole hypocrite. He literally wants to be the gatekeeper of everyone's secrets and thinks that privacy should only matter to corrupt entities (and to himself), or at least, he did. He plays favorites these days and compromised what ethics he laid out in his "manifesto" years ago. My sympathies for him went out the window when he started putting his thumb on the scale actively to settle grudges.

Also, he'd still be at the embassy if he hadn't abused his privileges there. Lesson: don't bite the hand that lets you stay at the embassy.

His accusations against Assange also included blocking security cameras at the embassy, accessing security files and confronting guards.

10. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 11, 2019, 14:11 jdreyer

"If you're wearing earbuds but your phone is dead, is it still distracted driving? B.C. court says yes"

The stupid... it burns.

Well, it's kind of like those drunk driving laws where if you get into the drivers side with your keys, they can arrest you even if you haven't started the engine.

9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 11, 2019, 13:34 Flatline

"Julian Assange- Wikileaks co-founder arrested in London"

Tis' a dark day that will undoubtedly go down in infamy.

Nah he's an egotistical asshole hypocrite. He literally wants to be the gatekeeper of everyone's secrets and thinks that privacy should only matter to corrupt entities (and to himself), or at least, he did. He plays favorites these days and compromised what ethics he laid out in his "manifesto" years ago. My sympathies for him went out the window when he started putting his thumb on the scale actively to settle grudges.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo