Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Out of the Blue - Caffeine Apr 12, 2019, 07:23 Jonjonz

Please lose the junk science click bait article regarding caffeine. Its a loose collection of unrelated situational light weight reports.

I have been drinking tons of coffee for years, and have none of the side effects the article posits.

The double edge sword of free speech means idiots and stupidity become ubiquitous.

There is nothing outside a person that by going in can defile, but things that come out are what defile.
Mark 7:1-8, 14-15, 21-23
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2019, 04:13 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Apr 11, 2019, 22:56:
Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 11, 2019, 21:58:
Guess I'll wait a bit on updating...

came home from the gym a couple days ago to find my computer completely frozen. no idea if it was caused by the update though - this was on tuesday night/weds morning.

re:f35 - the A and C models have a bit more ammo (like 200something) since they don't have the vertical lift fan taking up space. even 2 seconds of cannon fire can mean life/death. the idea of the vulcan cannon was to shotgun the target with as many rounds as possible since most of the time the target is only in shooting parameters for a split second. so if you're a good shot those 2 seconds can last for several engagements.

plus it's a 25mm cannon firing 3300 rpm, so closer to 4 seconds of fire. dunno why the article talks about the M61 when that's not the gun in the f35. it's a larger round meant equally for ground strafing as for air combat so theoretically fewer hits would be needed to bring down enemy aircraft.

Right, the USAF F-35A model has the internal cannon with 182 rounds. The B model (USMC) and C model (USN) have an external gun pod with 220 rounds they have to attach if they want a cannon. It looks like this. It also makes their aircraft less stealthy, so it's not something they'll fly with often.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2019, 02:15 Kxmode

Star Trek Discovery Season 2 Episode 13 was fantastic! For the first time we get to see the interior of the U.S.S. Enterprise, and it does NOT disappoint. They got so many details right that I had to rewatch several time to take it all in. But off-hand they had the turn-handle device in the turbolift! And the bridge: holy moly. No expense was spared (displays, sounds, the captain's chair; this IS the Enterprise from TOS just modernized). So much attention to detail. Beyond that, the performances from all were spectacular with a special nod to Sonequa Martin-Green (as Michael Burnham) and Anson Mount (as a stellar Christopher Pike). If you've not watched the show, I highly recommend starting with Season 2. The part-2 finale airs next week, so you have time to binge-catch-up. I hear the show is going in a radical new direction that will completely resync it with the TOS/prime timeline. What that is I don't know. Have to wait until next week and season three.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

28. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2019, 22:56 1badmf

came home from the gym a couple days ago to find my computer completely frozen. no idea if it was caused by the update though - this was on tuesday night/weds morning.

re:f35 - the A and C models have a bit more ammo (like 200something) since they don't have the vertical lift fan taking up space. even 2 seconds of cannon fire can mean life/death. the idea of the vulcan cannon was to shotgun the target with as many rounds as possible since most of the time the target is only in shooting parameters for a split second. so if you're a good shot those 2 seconds can last for several engagements.

plus it's a 25mm cannon firing 3300 rpm, so closer to 4 seconds of fire. dunno why the article talks about the M61 when that's not the gun in the f35. it's a larger round meant equally for ground strafing as for air combat so theoretically fewer hits would be needed to bring down enemy aircraft.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2019, 22:52 MoreLuckThanSkill

Pigeon wrote on Apr 11, 2019, 10:36:
Has anyone had any issues since the windows(10) update this Tuesday? Both my desktop and laptop have been having stability issues.

Yes, I run Avira Antivirus, and something in that Win10 update makes my computer hang for 30seconds to a minute after logging in. I suspect it is causing an issue with Avira, because Avira, which normally loads quite quickly, does not load for that entire time(display icon on lower right) and/or is loading that entire time now.

Windows 8.1 desktop is having no issues, but I haven't run any windows updates on it.

Windows 10 of course, didn't even give me the option to delay this update, I thought they were going to add that feature?

*EDIT* Removed the security update from 04/10/2019, pausing is gone, Yay. Unfortunately that was the Windows 10 Spectre patch, so I'll have to reinstall some version of it eventually, I guess.

This comment was edited on Apr 11, 2019, 23:10.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2019, 22:36 Mr. Tact

Yep. I usually wait at least two weeks, sometimes longer. Problems like this usually pop-up at one of more of the places I hang out.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2019, 22:22 RedEye9

Woody Leonard repeatedly stresses that you should wait when it comes to windows updates, history has proven him correct too many times.

“Yeah, I’d like to order one large phone with extra phones, please.” “Cell phone. No-no-no-no, rotary! And pay phone on half.”

24. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2019, 21:58 Mr. Tact

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2019, 21:22 RedEye9

Has anyone had any issues since the windows(10) update this Tuesday? Both my desktop and laptop have been having stability issues.
Blue posted
always check out woody
Widespread reports of freezing with yesterday’s Win7 and 8.1 Monthly Rollups, KB 4493472 and KB 4493446
https://www.computerworld.com/blog/woody-on-windows/

“Yeah, I’d like to order one large phone with extra phones, please.” “Cell phone. No-no-no-no, rotary! And pay phone on half.”

22. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2019, 19:10 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Apr 11, 2019, 14:16:

None so far...

Same here.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

21. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2019, 18:35 Kxmode

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 11, 2019, 12:09:
These fucking chinese scientists have never seen planet of the apes!

YOU IDIOTS! YOU BLEW IT UP!!!! DAMN YOU!! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!!

Ah. Poor Heston. Get this man some super chunky Skippy.

This comment was edited on Apr 11, 2019, 19:25.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2019, 17:45 RedEye9

https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/8686/why-do-fighter-jets-still-have-guns-cannons  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2019, 14:38 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Apr 11, 2019, 14:08:
Blue wrote on Apr 11, 2019, 12:56:
Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 11, 2019, 11:59:
True about BVR, but it does make you wonder with only 2 seconds of fire time maybe they should have just left it out? Is there a version of the plane with a much higher capacity?

IIRC this first came up in the earliest days of guided missiles. The F-4 Phantom II is a plane that originally had no guns based on the idea that all air combat would use missiles at supersonic speed. In practice there ended up being so much subsonic combat that they added the Vulcan cannon to its default arsenal. I doubt their thinking has changed much in the 50 years since.

There's quite a bit of difference in those two ages. F35 is stealthed, and has significantly better long range missile technology than opposition aircraft. All leading to (theoretically) never having to engage in close range combat.

And, I mean, they better hope it has changed, because if the F35 has to engage in a lot of close range dogfights, it's going to do pretty poorly. There have been lots of stories about it getting mauled by Air-Superiority aircraft (which makes sense, it was never designed for that role.) like the F15, and even the F-16. You shudder to think of what would happen when it goes up against an SU-31. Especially since it costs roughly ten times as much to replace as a Sukhoi.

(Ignoring, of course, that in the most likely combat scenarios, enemy air superiority fighters would get intercepted by the F22.)

But I have to say that I don't really get the idea of 2 seconds of gunfire. FRRRTTT *click*.

The early F-35s had their maneuverability intentionally gimped while they worked bugs out of the system. That's been fixed with the latest software block updates. The F-16 loss was a non-combat coded F-35 from several years ago, things are different now and the F-35 is about equivalent to an F-16 in terms of performance. Here's a good explainer. Also, Air and Space interviewed a bunch of F-35 pilots, and the article is an interesting read. For example:

Fighter aircraft all have to have a level of performance and maneuverability: speed, Gs, turn rate, turn radius, acceleration, climb—all of those things. In the F-35, there’s not a massive change in those performance metrics. The F-35 is better [than legacy aircraft], but not a lot better. But those ways to measure an airplane are not nearly as relevant now as they used to be. They’re not irrelevant, but they are not as important as all the other qualities that you should be measuring an airplane by.

If you were to write down all the ways in which you could measure an airplane—payload, fuel, ordnance, handling—and ask 100 pilots to rank which is the most important, I guarantee you that 100 out of 100 pilots would say “situational awareness.” By far. Not a single pilot in the world would say “turn radius.” Not one. Because the more you know, the more accurately you know it, the better able you are to make a decision.

It goes on to say that sensor fusion is really the game-changer introduced by the F-35. They're racking up 20-1 kill ratios at Red Flag in air-to-air combat, so it should do fine in that area as well as ground attack. We don't have very many F-22s after all.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2019, 14:20 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Apr 11, 2019, 10:44:
As for the F16 hitting its own bullets, heh, don't hit the afterburners after firing, buddy.

The island they practice on is just a little bit off the coast from where my parents live, so on a live fire day you can see and hear them practice, it's pretty cool. (and fucking LOUD!)

As for the quip about the F35 carrying 2 seconds worth of rounds, who cares, the F35 engages BVR (if everything works.) It's not built to be a close range dogfighter.

Yeah, the USAF is still burned about its experience in Vietnam when their newest jets like the F-4 Phantom had no internal gun and relied exclusively on missiles. The missiles were immature, scoring hits either 10% of the time (IR seeking) or 5% of the time (radar seeking). These days missiles are much more accurate, and the F-35 gun is probably unneeded (especially at a paltry 185 rounds).

All that said, both Iraq wars had visual RoE in play, so you couldn't fire from BVR. Although there hasn't been a turning dogfight since Vietnam, close quarters engagements are still a possibility.

Also, with the latest equipment and software upgrades, the F-35 has become quite maneuverable.

Ninja'd a bit by Blue.

This comment was edited on Apr 11, 2019, 14:31.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2019, 14:16 jdreyer

None so far...

16. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2019, 14:15 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 11, 2019, 10:03:
Did the Dutch pilot try to plug his own dike?
The f35a carries 2 seconds worth of rounds, that should decrease its chance of shooting itself down.

Please remove the article on caffeine. I don't need another reminder about my addiction.
caffeine kills (or at least the easily obtainable powdered version)
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/exmwka/how-much-caffeine-will-kill-you-127

Water kills you too, but I'm not about to stop drinking it.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2019, 14:08 Creston

Blue wrote on Apr 11, 2019, 12:56:
True about BVR, but it does make you wonder with only 2 seconds of fire time maybe they should have just left it out? Is there a version of the plane with a much higher capacity?

IIRC this first came up in the earliest days of guided missiles. The F-4 Phantom II is a plane that originally had no guns based on the idea that all air combat would use missiles at supersonic speed. In practice there ended up being so much subsonic combat that they added the Vulcan cannon to its default arsenal. I doubt their thinking has changed much in the 50 years since.

There's quite a bit of difference in those two ages. F35 is stealthed, and has significantly better long range missile technology than opposition aircraft. All leading to (theoretically) never having to engage in close range combat.

And, I mean, they better hope it has changed, because if the F35 has to engage in a lot of close range dogfights, it's going to do pretty poorly. There have been lots of stories about it getting mauled by Air-Superiority aircraft (which makes sense, it was never designed for that role.) like the F15, and even the F-16. You shudder to think of what would happen when it goes up against an SU-31. Especially since it costs roughly ten times as much to replace as a Sukhoi.

(Ignoring, of course, that in the most likely combat scenarios, enemy air superiority fighters would get intercepted by the F22.)

But I have to say that I don't really get the idea of 2 seconds of gunfire. FRRRTTT *click*.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2019, 14:02 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 11, 2019, 12:24:
I'm not sure "just in case" is a valid military argument when we are talking about 2 seconds of firing time in an aircraft not designed for dog fighting and intended to engage BVR. But whatever.
Well it's the military that has it so I'll side w/their valid and/or invalid (not to be confused with invalid; a weak or disabled person) requirements.
Would you rather have it and not use it \or/ not have it and need it.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2019, 13:26 Cutter

Fucking China.

It's the end of the world as we know it and I don't feel fine.

“There are three kinds of men. The ones that learn by readin’. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” - Will Rogers

12. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2019, 12:56  Blue 

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo