Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

As I mentioned recently, it's been very good for me to keep walking Jedi the Jindo, as our friends' dog and I have become very close. He's also grown up quite a bit since we've known each other, as he came to them after living on the streets of Korea. When he first arrived, he was feral enough to inspire coyote comparisons, but we've improved his socialization quite a bit, and he's becoming a solid citizen. That doesn't mean he's completely broken of all his old habits though, one of which is he still scavenges for food, and his definition of edible is quite loose. Cardboard is perhaps his favorite delicacy, but he also has a weakness for crayons. I was warned about this yesterday, as the traces of wrappers he left behind revealed he had eaten a blue crayon and a yellow one at some point before we headed out. We kidded this might result in green poo, but this turned out to be no joke, as the little fellow crapped out a bunch of the greenest turds you've ever seen from a carnivore. This perhaps wasn't as odd as the blue poo I mentioned a while back, but much more brightly colored. For now I'm considering this his masterpiece.

R.I.P.: A legend passes: Dick Cole, last of the Doolittle Raiders, dies at 103. Thanks RedEye9.

Links: Thanks Ant.
Links: 9 Amazing Video Games (You Can’t Actually Play Anymore).
Stories: Car Crashes Into Gym While Man Works Out on Treadmill. Thanks Boing Boing.
A Second Bomb Cyclone: Colorado Predicted To Go From 80 Degrees To A Blizzard.
Are Plastic Bag Bans Garbage? Thanks RedEye9.
Science: First-ever black hole photo announcement: How to watch the Event Horizon Telescope results.
Wound Healing Might Be Improved With Staples Modeled On Porcupine Quills. Thanks RedEye9.
Vitamin and mineral supplements won't help you live longer, could cause harm, study says.
Media: Vital Cutscene - Epic NPC Man (when you skip the long cutscenes). NSFW.
Professional Overwatch Player DESTROYS Gamers (React).
Ooh la la.
Follow-up: New York's Vaccine Order Shows How Health Laws Are Failing Us.
Boeing shareholders file class-action lawsuit over 737 Max plane crashes.
David Dao breaks silence after being dragged off United Airlines flight in 2017. Thanks RedEye9.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2019, 18:19 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 11, 2019, 12:26:
I have no grief over anyone thinking the films are great.
Neither do I.

I want to shut the noise out and reconnect to my inner thoughts on the road to feeling more at one with myself. Fleabag
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2019, 14:41 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 11, 2019, 12:23:
uh, because i already forgot it
I didn't care for Split if that means anything. shamalan must not be my cuppa, i only have myself to blame

Interesting. No blame. Thanks for sharing!

I liked the movie for the attention to details between all three. For example, putting the name of the three films together -- "UNBREAKABLE, SPLIT GLASS" -- essentially explains the trilogy, and even more so in the context of Glass's character. Next, I truly enjoyed the acting. All of the actors were good, but McAvoy killed it with his range and ability to change personalities so drastically on cue. Lastly, I liked the story with its many layers. The most important thing worth noting is Unbreakable is the first comic book film to present comic book characters as real people with real flaws; something that would not be seen until years later with Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy in 2004 and Heroes in 2006. Shyamalan established the framework years in advanced.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

22. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2019, 12:26 Mr. Tact

I thought Split was "okay". I'd expect Glass to be in the same category. However, to each their own. I have no grief over anyone thinking the films are great.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2019, 12:23 RedEye9

uh, because i already forgot it
I didn't care for Split if that means anything. shamalan must not be my cuppa, i only have myself to blame

I want to shut the noise out and reconnect to my inner thoughts on the road to feeling more at one with myself. Fleabag

20. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2019, 11:48 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 11, 2019, 11:29:
er, just sharing what myself, critics and the average view of the general populace. in those averages some thought it was the bomb while others thought it bombed
that's all

So, ignoring the critics and what other people said about it, why do YOU think the film is forgettable?

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

19. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2019, 11:29 RedEye9

er, just sharing what myself, critics and the average view of the general populace. in those averages some thought it was the bomb while others thought it bombed
that's all

18. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2019, 11:17 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 11, 2019, 09:56:
Glass scored a B on cinemascore.com
I would call it forgettable. 42/100 on https://www.metacritic.com/movie/glass/critic-reviews

That's your opinion and the critics share it. I disagree.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2019, 09:56 RedEye9

Glass scored a B on cinemascore.com
I would call it forgettable. 42/100 on https://www.metacritic.com/movie/glass/critic-reviews

16. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2019, 06:45 Kxmode

The Glass film is amazing. That is all.

Giggle Veryangry Snuh

15. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 10, 2019, 22:47 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Apr 10, 2019, 20:14:
That black hole photo is absolutely scandalous.
The feel good story of the young woman whose software made the photo possible.
https://heavy.com/news/2019/04/katie-bouman/

14. Are Plastic Bag Bans Garbage? Apr 10, 2019, 20:21 Simon Says

Depends what you replace them with... If it's recycled paper bags / biodegradable alternatives, it's all win. Why that wasn't mentioned in the article, one can only wonder.  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 10, 2019, 20:14 jdreyer

That black hole photo is absolutely scandalous.  

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 10, 2019, 15:59  Blue 

PHJF wrote on Apr 10, 2019, 12:21:
Hey Blue, ever since you did those backend changes a few weeks ago my new post identifier * hasn't worked. Clearing cookies and signing back in didn't fix it.

I don't think this is related to any changes. For a long time now, any change like logging out and in again or clearing cookies seems to result in a period where new post identification ends up broken for me. After a few days it starts to work again, which is odd, because I'm not familiar with computers undergoing any sort of gradual "healing" process.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

11. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 10, 2019, 15:08 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Apr 10, 2019, 14:37:
It's a step in the right direction. And it makes people more willing to accept other restrictions. I agree that packaging top to bottom needs reform. In addition, product design needs regulations such that things are designed to last, and when they do break, they are repairable. Massager I bought in Japan 20 years ago still works like new. The Chinese one I bought last year is already broken. It's possible to repair it, but the parts aren't available.

How do you legislate against planned obsolescence? Is the Japanese company that made it still around? Are their products still as good are they on the PO bandwagon now as well? I just bought a new grill a few days ago - my first Weber. All the research said they're still the best for the money for overall quality and rust resistance. I don't know if it's true - apart from reviews I've read. All I do know is every grill I owned prior to it was a pile of rust within 2-5 years. That's absurd.

Speaking of which, is Manstovia open for the season, Blue? Anyone else have a comment on Weber or other brand's reliability. And I'm not talking about one of those ridiculous $10,000 bbqs. I'm just not that into grilling.

"Put the pick in there, Pete, and turn it round real neat."

10. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 10, 2019, 15:04 Beamer

jdreyer wrote on Apr 10, 2019, 14:37:
Massager I bought in Japan 20 years ago still works like new.

Deviant.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

9. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 10, 2019, 14:37 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Apr 10, 2019, 13:13:
Obviously the plastic bag ban is just another useless "feel good" initiative to make it appear if government is actually doing something worthwhile. They need to overhaul packaging laws top to bottom to make a real difference. Mandate that all packaging is biodegradable and/or recyclable or it's all just so much hot air - and waste.
It's a step in the right direction. And it makes people more willing to accept other restrictions. I agree that packaging top to bottom needs reform. In addition, product design needs regulations such that things are designed to last, and when they do break, they are repairable. Massager I bought in Japan 20 years ago still works like new. The Chinese one I bought last year is already broken. It's possible to repair it, but the parts aren't available.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 10, 2019, 14:32 jdreyer

David Dao breaks silence after being dragged off United Airlines flight in 2017.

Hope David got a few mil for his trouble. Poor guy. #NeverFlyUnited

7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 10, 2019, 13:13 Cutter

Obviously the plastic bag ban is just another useless "feel good" initiative to make it appear if government is actually doing something worthwhile. They need to overhaul packaging laws top to bottom to make a real difference. Mandate that all packaging is biodegradable and/or recyclable or it's all just so much hot air - and waste.

"Put the pick in there, Pete, and turn it round real neat."

6. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 10, 2019, 13:00 jdreyer

The amount of coordination to get that black hole shot, wow.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 10, 2019, 12:59 Creston

Green turds, LOL.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo