Apex Legends Leaver Penalty Removed, Will Return

The version 1.1 patch for Apex Legends that went live a few days ago included penalties for players who leave matches early that's now been removed (thanks Eurogamer). Respawn fully intends to incorporate such an early leaver penalty down the road, but did not intend for it to go live just yet, hence the removal. This post on Reddit explains what happened:
So internally, we have been working on and testing this feature but it wasn't our intention or plan to have it go live with the update that went out today. There was a piece of script that was missing and caused the leaving match early penalty to be turned on when it shouldn't be. That's why it wasn't in the patch notes.

We updated the script, tested with QA and it's now disabled for all platforms. We don't have an ETA for if or when this would come out for real. Apologies for the confusion.
View : : :
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Apex Legends Leaver Penalty Removed, Will Return
Apr 8, 2019, 09:05
Re: Apex Legends Leaver Penalty Removed, Will Return Apr 8, 2019, 09:05
Apr 8, 2019, 09:05

Thanks for the explanation, Seph!

Apr 8, 2019, 01:55
Re: Apex Legends Leaver Penalty Removed, Will Return Apr 8, 2019, 01:55
Apr 8, 2019, 01:55

Creston wrote on Apr 7, 2019, 14:27:
Why is there an issue with people leaving a battle royale game early? (serious question.)

I mean, if there's four left and 2 leave early, then the two who are left are 1 and 2, what's the big deal?

For Apex Legends specifically there are two ways to come back...

-The usual BR mechanic where you get "knocked" down and crawl around helpless for some amount of time until a teammate helps you up, an enemy "thirsts" you to a more permanent* death (and a +1 to their kill count), or your knockdown time is up and you expire due to time without a teammate pick up.

-The other way in Apex Legends that's not usually present in other BRs, is after you're past knocked and fully killed, your loot box has a "banner" that can be picked up by a teammate and taken to a respawn node. This is also on a timer but it's longer than the knocked timer and the enemy can't prevent. Also the respawn nodes can only be used once, so they're kind of a limited resource in theory, but in practice they're not used often enough in a game to run out for someone who needs one.

Anyways, that's all background to explain the problem with randos leaving.
Instead of waiting for their "banner" to be taken to a respawn point they leave, even more egregious they'll leave during the "knocked" phase instead of waiting to find out if their teammate is going to be able to pick them up or not.

People want to be starting their next game not holding out on the chance that the bozo they were randomly paired with is going to attempt to respawn them or not. I understand it and have definitely done it before when I know for sure that there is no hope to be had. The (relatively) very short turnaround time on getting into a new game is partially to blame as well... so a timed leaver penalty would help make it more in your interest to stick around.

That being said, I don't really think this is necessary. If you want more dependable teammates, play with people you know. And finally, Respawn just needs to make a damn solo and duos mode so that people aren't forced to play with strangers.

Apr 7, 2019, 21:57
Re: Apex Legends Leaver Penalty Removed, Will Return Apr 7, 2019, 21:57
Apr 7, 2019, 21:57

Curious if it is to help with the spam bots... but it seems like you would want a report/detect/ban for them, not a penalty.

Apr 7, 2019, 20:48
Re: Apex Legends Leaver Penalty Removed, Will Return Apr 7, 2019, 20:48
Apr 7, 2019, 20:48

Creston wrote on Apr 7, 2019, 16:18:
jacobvandy wrote on Apr 7, 2019, 16:11:
Why is there an issue with people leaving a battle royale game early? (serious question.)

I mean, if there's four left and 2 leave early, then the two who are left are 1 and 2, what's the big deal?

At least for now, Apex is a team-based game, you're forced to play in squads of three.

Oh, I forgot about that. That's probably it. Thanks!

Yeah, I had the same question, and the team aspect seems to explain it.
'I am' is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that 'I do' is the longest sentence? - GC

Apr 7, 2019, 16:18
Re: Apex Legends Leaver Penalty Removed, Will Return Apr 7, 2019, 16:18
Apr 7, 2019, 16:18

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 7, 2019, 16:11:

At least for now, Apex is a team-based game, you're forced to play in squads of three.

Oh, I forgot about that. That's probably it. Thanks!

Apr 7, 2019, 16:11
Re: Apex Legends Leaver Penalty Removed, Will Return Apr 7, 2019, 16:11
Apr 7, 2019, 16:11

Apr 7, 2019, 15:21
Re: Apex Legends Leaver Penalty Removed, Will Return Apr 7, 2019, 15:21
Apr 7, 2019, 15:21

I figured it was to prevent people from joining, messing with teammates or something (or ragequitting, despite being able to be revived) early on, screwing their group out of a body?

Apr 7, 2019, 15:02
Re: Apex Legends Leaver Penalty Removed, Will Return Apr 7, 2019, 15:02
Apr 7, 2019, 15:02

possibly to cheat someone of their kills?

kills are odd in Royale, in BFV my current assignment includes get 25 kills in Firestorm which is taking a long while. in any other game mode that would be 3 matches tops.

loved Titanfall 2, and i played Apex one session, i am quite enjoying BFV and Firestorm is great, but i just love how they are mass banning the cheats in Apex. i am not confident they are doing anything to cheaters in BFV, maybe i will switch to Apex

Apr 7, 2019, 14:27
Re: Apex Legends Leaver Penalty Removed, Will Return Apr 7, 2019, 14:27
Apr 7, 2019, 14:27

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older