Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing

A tweet from Steam Database notes that Borderlands 2 is the first game to benefit from Valve's recently announced plan to prevent malicious review bombing of titles on Steam. Word is: "Borderlands 2 is the first game on Steam to make use of the 'off-topic reviews' marking. Over 4000 reviews are excluded from the rating calculation." Similarly, off-topic reviews for the original Borderlands are also being filtered from the main results. The bombings in question stems from the recent announcement that Borderlands 3 will be exclusive to the Epic Games Store for the first six months following the release of the shooter sequel. An interesting aside here is that although Gearbox boss Randy Pitchford placed responsibility for the store exclusivity on publisher 2K Games, he tweeted about bitterness over Valve's disinterest in addressing the review bombing before they ultimately did just that. Ironically (especially since he characterized his complaint as ironic), he said it makes him "kind of happy about 2k’s decision" and that this motivated him to "want to reconsider Gearbox Publishing’s current posture on the platform."
View : : :
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  ] Newer

Re: Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing
Apr 6, 2019, 14:23
Re: Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing Apr 6, 2019, 14:23
Apr 6, 2019, 14:23

Good. Reviews need to be about the game itself, not a complaint about a different game, even if they’re in the same series.

Apr 6, 2019, 14:24
Re: Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing Apr 6, 2019, 14:24
Apr 6, 2019, 14:24

Ah the review bombing nitwits, ruining things for the rest of us.
A mask is not a political statement. It's an IQ test.

Apr 6, 2019, 14:27
Re: Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing Apr 6, 2019, 14:27
Apr 6, 2019, 14:27

Typical review bomb: "I hat these SJW feminists cuck betas. I lik to play games, and am entitled to gams. This company no gud, SJW. MAGA."

Apr 6, 2019, 14:48
Re: Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing Apr 6, 2019, 14:48
Apr 6, 2019, 14:48

I approve this message.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Apr 6, 2019, 15:26
Cutter

Re: Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing Apr 6, 2019, 15:26
Apr 6, 2019, 15:26
 Cutter

I disagree. I think a company's practices should reflect on the products they make. Boycotts against Coors started in the 60s for their racist/sexist/anti-union policies. And today that still continues with them as MillerCoors. They donate heavily to far-right politicians and organizations. If it skews the score and warns people off of said company and their bad behavior so much the better.
"I didn't know you had it in you. Sorry, poor choice of words." - David

Apr 6, 2019, 15:58
Re: Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing Apr 6, 2019, 15:58
Apr 6, 2019, 15:58

Cutter wrote on Apr 6, 2019, 15:26:
I disagree. I think a company's practices should reflect on the products they make. Boycotts against Coors started in the 60s for their racist/sexist/anti-union policies. And today that still continues with them as MillerCoors. They donate heavily to far-right politicians and organizations. If it skews the score and warns people off of said company and their bad behavior so much the better.
The Coors were closet Nazis, and deserved to be boycotted. Gearbox and Randy had nothing to do with getting BL3 into the EGS. Not really comparable.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Apr 6, 2019, 16:45
Re: Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing Apr 6, 2019, 16:45
Apr 6, 2019, 16:45

now they need to go back and do the same for every Derek Smart game ever released on steam. 99% of the reviews are just assholes posting malicious bullshit.

Apr 6, 2019, 16:46
Re: Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing Apr 6, 2019, 16:46

Timmeh wrote on Apr 6, 2019, 16:45:
now they need to go back and do the same for every Derek Smart game ever released on steam. 99% of the reviews are just assholes posting malicious bullshit.

You harvest what you seed.

Re: Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing Apr 6, 2019, 16:46

Saboth wrote on Apr 6, 2019, 14:27:
Typical review bomb: "I hat these SJW feminists cuck betas. I lik to play games, and am entitled to gams. This company no gud, SJW. MAGA."

yeah libtard thats exactly what it is.. you keep believing your bullshit leftist programming.

Apr 6, 2019, 16:47
Re: Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing Apr 6, 2019, 16:47
Apr 6, 2019, 16:47

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 6, 2019, 16:46:

no he is just one of the only developers to defend his games and not be silent.

Apr 6, 2019, 17:56
Rigs

Re: Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing Apr 6, 2019, 17:56
Apr 6, 2019, 17:56
 Rigs

Timmeh wrote on Apr 6, 2019, 16:47:

Not even close. Where did that even come from? I've seen tons of devs defend their game on Steam when it comes under fire, for better or worse. Some take it as constructive criticism and try to fix the problem, others take it as a personal attack on them and try to silence the 'whiners' by deleting posts and banning accounts. I'll let you figure out which side Derek Smart falls into...the second one. It's the second one. Of course it's the second one.

=-Rigs-=

Apr 6, 2019, 20:18
Cutter

Re: Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing Apr 6, 2019, 20:18
Apr 6, 2019, 20:18
 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Apr 6, 2019, 15:58:

The Coors were closet Nazis, and deserved to be boycotted. Gearbox and Randy had nothing to do with getting BL3 into the EGS. Not really comparable.

Ok, so maybe it isn't Pitchford's fault but someone made that choice to deal with a shady anti-consumer company. So I don't see how it changes anything at all.
"I didn't know you had it in you. Sorry, poor choice of words." - David

Apr 6, 2019, 21:15
Re: Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing Apr 6, 2019, 21:15
Apr 6, 2019, 21:15

Did... Did Cutter *actually* just equate putting a game for a year on Epic's storefront with sexual harassment, racism, and the ultra right?

I'm done. Congrats Cutter, you are, today, the end of the Internet.

Apr 6, 2019, 21:17
Re: Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing Apr 6, 2019, 21:17
Apr 6, 2019, 21:17

Rigs wrote on Apr 6, 2019, 17:56:
Timmeh wrote on Apr 6, 2019, 16:47:

Not even close. Where did that even come from? I've seen tons of devs defend their game on Steam when it comes under fire, for better or worse. Some take it as constructive criticism and try to fix the problem, others take it as a personal attack on them and try to silence the 'whiners' by deleting posts and banning accounts. I'll let you figure out which side Derek Smart falls into...the second one. It's the second one. Of course it's the second one.

=-Rigs-=

This is sadly true. I had a friend on Steam buy one of his games and then request a refund because it was so bad. Now keep in mind this person buys ALL space games without exception. He's a nice guy.

When he put in his refund request Derek Smart contacted him personally to ask why he wanted to refund. He explained why and said that with some work he might consider buying the game again. And Derek Smart essentially said don't bother I don't need your kind playing my games anyway.

Apr 6, 2019, 21:20
Re: Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing Apr 6, 2019, 21:20
Apr 6, 2019, 21:20

It always takes them a good solid year to finish patching the bugs out, at which point it will be on *all* the stores AND probably be on markdown with a decent DLC bundle.

I don't get the outrage.

Apr 6, 2019, 21:54
Re: Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing Apr 6, 2019, 21:54
Apr 6, 2019, 21:54

Flatline wrote on Apr 6, 2019, 21:15:

Did... Did Cutter *actually* just equate putting a game for a year on Epic's storefront with sexual harassment, racism, and the ultra right?

Nope.

Apr 6, 2019, 22:08
Re: Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing Apr 6, 2019, 22:08
Apr 6, 2019, 22:08

Doesn't matter. I don't buy games from companies that do exclusives. I still won't buy EA games, and now any game that goes exclusive with Epic. I will buy from GOG and Steam when and if the games become available there.

Epic and Publishers that want to sign on for exclusivity can suck my left nut. Fuck, knowing the amazing 'talent' that Pitchford has working for him, it will probably be 6 mos before the game even works right.

Apr 6, 2019, 22:22
Prez

Re: Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing Apr 6, 2019, 22:22
Apr 6, 2019, 22:22
 Prez

Pitchford needs to shut his bitch mouth.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 6, 2019, 23:06
Re: Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing Apr 6, 2019, 23:06
Apr 6, 2019, 23:06

Prez wrote on Apr 6, 2019, 22:22:
Pitchford needs to shut his bitch mouth.
Golfclap
The worst criminal in human history, undeniably. There has never been a figure in political history, so dedicated to destroying the prospects of organized human life on the planet, in the near future.

Beating and Gassing Americans for Jesus!

Apr 6, 2019, 23:07
Re: Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing Apr 6, 2019, 23:07
Apr 6, 2019, 23:07

EricFate wrote on Apr 6, 2019, 21:20:
It always takes them a good solid year to finish patching the bugs out, at which point it will be on *all* the stores AND probably be on markdown with a decent DLC bundle.

I don't get the outrage.

Many people around here are gaming addicts who are very easily seduced by hype and flashy trailers. They can't NOT preorder a hyped game or buy it on release day. Many folks have zero self control or restraint.

I'm sometimes wondering whether they are actually more annoyed about their own addiction issues or really about the actual exclusivity.
I'm sure it's the former for most because they somehow feel "forced" to buy it on EGS regardless of their resentments.

They simply can't NOT buy the game on release because it would make them feel like an inferior being if they didn't play the game at the same time as "everyone else" does.
They have to be among the ones to discover and experience it "first"... which is all but an illusion, of course, when millions are playing the game simultaneously.

Oh well... to each their own but it'd be great if people were more honest with themselves by admitting that they are the problem and not the EGS exclusivity.

Me, I'm cool with it all for the reason you stated. Just about every game is a half-assed, half-finished piecemeal these days. I'm only buying complete versions on sale.

With a game like Metro it is easy as pie to give it a pass for now as there will be the inevitable redux version in a couple of years.
Games like Borderlands 3, Vampire or 1800 will get the living fuck DLC'ed out of them due to their respective publishers.
I won't touch those games until the final DLC has been released anyway. Until then there is that massive backlog and always something else to play. Zero fuxx given about EGS exclusivity.
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  ] Newer