Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing

A tweet from Steam Database notes that Borderlands 2 is the first game to benefit from Valve's recently announced plan to prevent malicious review bombing of titles on Steam. Word is: "Borderlands 2 is the first game on Steam to make use of the 'off-topic reviews' marking. Over 4000 reviews are excluded from the rating calculation." Similarly, off-topic reviews for the original Borderlands are also being filtered from the main results. The bombings in question stems from the recent announcement that Borderlands 3 will be exclusive to the Epic Games Store for the first six months following the release of the shooter sequel. An interesting aside here is that although Gearbox boss Randy Pitchford placed responsibility for the store exclusivity on publisher 2K Games, he tweeted about bitterness over Valve's disinterest in addressing the review bombing before they ultimately did just that. Ironically (especially since he characterized his complaint as ironic), he said it makes him "kind of happy about 2k’s decision" and that this motivated him to "want to reconsider Gearbox Publishing’s current posture on the platform."
View : : :
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing
Apr 7, 2019, 19:10
Re: Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing Apr 7, 2019, 19:10
Apr 7, 2019, 19:10

StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 7, 2019, 16:16:
Razumen wrote on Apr 7, 2019, 09:40:
And exclusives don't belong on PC. They're not good competition for consumers, and they're not good for the market.

It's also not good for the market to have one company, Valve, largely control distribution and DRM. I'm not a big fan of Epic not selling keys elsewhere, but them offering a real rival to Steamworks and using exclusives to get entrenched consumers to branch out is probably a good thing in the long run, honestly. It's gonna be rough for a while with Epic's client needing improvements and features, but 10 years from now we'll probably be glad Steam didn't rule everything forever. That's my view anyway.

I wish everything was DRM free on GOG, but it's not a perfect world.

If Steam was garbage, I'd agree with you. However, over the past 15 years, Steam has become the most fully featured and customer-centric platform in existence. Valve has only made PC gaming better. One could argue that they saved PC gaming when things were looking bleak during the 360/PS3 generation (the same generation where Epic jumped ship to Xbox and blamed it on PC piracy).

EGS has done absolutely nothing to benefit consumers in any way. The platform has no features and timed third-party exclusives only serve to hurt customers.

wrlwnd wrote on Apr 7, 2019, 18:55:
That said, I find the indignation here about exclusivity ridiculous, considering Valve charges 30% to distribute. Versus 12% for Epic. Anyone with a few brain cells would realize why some devs would agree to exclusivity with Epic. 30% is Mafia-style practice. I'm glad devs have a choice now.

Anyone with a few brain cells would be well aware that Epic pays large amounts of money for their timed exclusives. That's literally the only reason why any developer/publisher would agree to that deal. Without that bribe, they would just make their games available on both EGS and Steam.

Also, calling 30% "Mafia-style" is absurd. 30% is the standard cut for digital storefronts. It's the same cut that Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, GOG, Apple and Google take. Steam offers more features than all of those platforms. EGS offers 12% because it literally has no features and a tiny selection. It also passes overhead costs on to the customer.

Apr 7, 2019, 18:55
Re: Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing Apr 7, 2019, 18:55
Apr 7, 2019, 18:55

Steam is my platform of choice, but only because of the deals. Epic's prices are pretty bad. And they don't have a review system, which also keeps me away (for now).

That said, I find the indignation here about exclusivity ridiculous, considering Valve charges 30% to distribute. Versus 12% for Epic. Anyone with a few brain cells would realize why some devs would agree to exclusivity with Epic. 30% is Mafia-style practice. I'm glad devs have a choice now.

Apr 7, 2019, 16:16
Re: Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing Apr 7, 2019, 16:16
Apr 7, 2019, 16:16

And exclusives don't belong on PC. They're not good competition for consumers, and they're not good for the market.

It's also not good for the market to have one company, Valve, largely control distribution and DRM. I'm not a big fan of Epic not selling keys elsewhere, but them offering a real rival to Steamworks and using exclusives to get entrenched consumers to branch out is probably a good thing in the long run, honestly. It's gonna be rough for a while with Epic's client needing improvements and features, but 10 years from now we'll probably be glad Steam didn't rule everything forever. That's my view anyway.

I wish everything was DRM free on GOG, but it's not a perfect world.

Apr 7, 2019, 14:41
Re: Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing Apr 7, 2019, 14:41
Apr 7, 2019, 14:41

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 7, 2019, 13:44:
Saboth wrote on Apr 6, 2019, 14:27:
Typical review bomb: "I hat these SJW feminists cuck betas. I lik to play games, and am entitled to gams. This company no gud, SJW. MAGA."
QFT

Store no transgender imags, racst alt rights, very bad. Orange bad.

Me no care, use Grindr to grind, and son of mine is trans, which good. He born 2 monthss ago. Might abort soon.

Me no work, Sweden, government pay me because evil rich persons. Government good.

Apr 7, 2019, 14:20
Re: Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing Apr 7, 2019, 14:20
Apr 7, 2019, 14:20

CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 6, 2019, 23:17:
Mordhaus wrote on Apr 6, 2019, 22:08:
Doesn't matter. I don't buy games from companies that do exclusives. I still won't buy EA games, and now any game that goes exclusive with Epic. I will buy from GOG and Steam when and if the games become available there.

Wat?!?

Which is it now... you buy the games or you don't?

And if you do: Why the hell would you buy from Steam out of all places then? Steam is Valve's exclusive publishing platform. They have never released a single one of their games outside Steam (contrary to EA or Epic who have many of their older games on GOG and/or Steam). Valve/Steam have all but invented digital store exclusivity. Among the big stores they are also the last bastion of exclusivity. Even Blizztard are selling Diablo and ancient Warcraft games on GOG now. Valve? Nope. 100% Steam exclusivity of their games to this day.

Your reasoning makes zero sense. I mean, just admit you hate Epic and be done with it but pulling nonsensical reasons outta your ass makes ya look kinda foolish bruh!

You're comparing first party titles to third party, it's not the same at all.

I was replying to Mordhaus who mentioned EA explicitly. Which 3rd party titles does EA have exclusively? Right. None.
He was obviously including 1st party exclusivity in his silly inconsequential hypocritical boycott.

If anyone wants to consequentially boycott for exclusivity then you need to start with gigs like Valve and Microsoft. Valve have never released a single one of their games on a different platform. MS are holding several games hostage on their shitty as fuck store with no timed expiration date like Epic.

Apr 7, 2019, 13:58
Re: Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing Apr 7, 2019, 13:58
Apr 7, 2019, 13:58

So Randy prefers the platform that doesn’t offer user reviews. Makes sense.

Apr 7, 2019, 13:44
Re: Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing Apr 7, 2019, 13:44
Apr 7, 2019, 13:44

Saboth wrote on Apr 6, 2019, 14:27:
Typical review bomb: "I hat these SJW feminists cuck betas. I lik to play games, and am entitled to gams. This company no gud, SJW. MAGA."
QFT
A mask is not a political statement. It's an IQ test.

Apr 7, 2019, 11:19
Cutter

Re: Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing Apr 7, 2019, 11:19
Apr 7, 2019, 11:19
 Cutter

Sepharo wrote on Apr 6, 2019, 21:54:
Flatline wrote on Apr 6, 2019, 21:15:
Cutter wrote on Apr 6, 2019, 15:26:
I disagree. I think a company's practices should reflect on the products they make. Boycotts against Coors started in the 60s for their racist/sexist/anti-union policies. And today that still continues with them as MillerCoors. They donate heavily to far-right politicians and organizations. If it skews the score and warns people off of said company and their bad behavior so much the better.

Did... Did Cutter *actually* just equate putting a game for a year on Epic's storefront with sexual harassment, racism, and the ultra right?

Nope.

At least someone else is smart enough to understand what I'm saying. Thank you Seph. Wrong is wrong, Flatline. And while there are many different degrees of it the point, that went so very clearly over your head, is that you don't reward companies that do wrong with money. That simple enough for you, scooter?

"I didn't know you had it in you. Sorry, poor choice of words." - David

Apr 7, 2019, 09:40
Re: Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing Apr 7, 2019, 09:40
Apr 7, 2019, 09:40

CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 6, 2019, 23:17:
Doesn't matter. I don't buy games from companies that do exclusives. I still won't buy EA games, and now any game that goes exclusive with Epic. I will buy from GOG and Steam when and if the games become available there.

Wat?!?

And if you do: Why the hell would you buy from Steam out of all places then? Steam is Valve's exclusive publishing platform. They have never released a single one of their games outside Steam (contrary to EA or Epic who have many of their older games on GOG and/or Steam). Valve/Steam have all but invented digital store exclusivity. Among the big stores they are also the last bastion of exclusivity. Even Blizztard are selling Diablo and ancient Warcraft games on GOG now. Valve? Nope. 100% Steam exclusivity of their games to this day.

Your reasoning makes zero sense. I mean, just admit you hate Epic and be done with it but pulling nonsensical reasons outta your ass makes ya look kinda foolish bruh!

You're comparing first party titles to third party, it's not the same at all.

Apr 7, 2019, 09:16
Re: Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing Apr 7, 2019, 09:16
Apr 7, 2019, 09:16

jdreyer wrote on Apr 7, 2019, 04:17:

Epic and Publishers that want to sign on for exclusivity can suck my left nut. Fuck, knowing the amazing 'talent' that Pitchford has working for him, it will probably be 6 mos before the game even works right.

Just out of curiosity, what were the last 5 games you bought?
At least 90% of my purchases avoid big publishers. It's a year or more down the road, after GotY releases when I do buy from them. Here are my last 5 on Steam. Also my most recent purchase from ea, is the only thing I've ever purchased on origin.

Saints Row IV Game of the Century Edition
StarCrawlers
Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition
Dishonored 2 - dropped denuvo
Fallout 2 - had it on GOG forever but some reason was the only one missing on Steam.

Mass Effect 2 dlc package $15 US, after 9 years is my most recent ea game, iirc.
The worst criminal in human history, undeniably. There has never been a figure in political history, so dedicated to destroying the prospects of organized human life on the planet, in the near future.

Beating and Gassing Americans for Jesus!

Apr 7, 2019, 08:46
El Pit

Re: Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing Apr 7, 2019, 08:46
Apr 7, 2019, 08:46
 El Pit

When the Epic shenanigans started, I got really angry. A few weeks later, I took some time to think about it and now I mostly don't care. I decided last year that I won't buy games at full price anymore because of an IMMENSE backlog. So I can wait until the complete and patched editions of games are available where I want to buy them at a nice price - Epic problem solved more or less.

Let them have their timed exclusives, I can wait and even pay less $$$ for more content.
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

Apr 7, 2019, 04:17
Re: Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing Apr 7, 2019, 04:17
Apr 7, 2019, 04:17

Epic and Publishers that want to sign on for exclusivity can suck my left nut. Fuck, knowing the amazing 'talent' that Pitchford has working for him, it will probably be 6 mos before the game even works right.

Just out of curiosity, what were the last 5 games you bought?
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Apr 7, 2019, 03:14
Re: Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing Apr 7, 2019, 03:14
Apr 7, 2019, 03:14

CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 6, 2019, 23:07:
EricFate wrote on Apr 6, 2019, 21:20:
It always takes them a good solid year to finish patching the bugs out, at which point it will be on *all* the stores AND probably be on markdown with a decent DLC bundle.

I don't get the outrage.

Many people around here are gaming addicts who are very easily seduced by hype and flashy trailers. They can't NOT preorder a hyped game or buy it on release day. Many folks have zero self control or restraint.

I'm sometimes wondering whether they are actually more annoyed about their own addiction issues or really about the actual exclusivity.
I'm sure it's the former for most because they somehow feel "forced" to buy it on EGS regardless of their resentments.

They simply can't NOT buy the game on release because it would make them feel like an inferior being if they didn't play the game at the same time as "everyone else" does.
They have to be among the ones to discover and experience it "first"... which is all but an illusion, of course, when millions are playing the game simultaneously.

Oh well... to each their own but it'd be great if people were more honest with themselves by admitting that they are the problem and not the EGS exclusivity.

Me, I'm cool with it all for the reason you stated. Just about every game is a half-assed, half-finished piecemeal these days. I'm only buying complete versions on sale.

With a game like Metro it is easy as pie to give it a pass for now as there will be the inevitable redux version in a couple of years.
Games like Borderlands 3, Vampire or 1800 will get the living fuck DLC'ed out of them due to their respective publishers.
I won't touch those games until the final DLC has been released anyway. Until then there is that massive backlog and always something else to play. Zero fuxx given about EGS exclusivity.

Wow, it's like you know me personally. I'm kinda addicted like that ffs! I don't complain though. What's in a store? That which is called a game on any store would be as fun Fucking whiners.

As for Metro Redux, I am so surprised that nobody on the whole fucking Internet seems to have noticed that the Redux versions run better because they look way shittier than the originals. Seriously, open YouTube right now and watch the first few minutes of the same Metro 2033 content of the original and Redux. The visual difference will hit you in the face and leave you speechless for an hour.

Re: Evening Legal Briefs
Apr 7, 2019, 01:13
JTW
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 7, 2019, 01:13
Apr 7, 2019, 01:13
JTW

Years ago, Derek Smart personally sent me copies of two of his games, free of charge, after I got to know him a bit online at a forum I helped run.

I've never had a game that was a worse value.

Apr 6, 2019, 23:17
Re: Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing Apr 6, 2019, 23:17
Apr 6, 2019, 23:17

Wat?!?

Apr 6, 2019, 23:07
Re: Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing Apr 6, 2019, 23:07
Apr 6, 2019, 23:07

EricFate wrote on Apr 6, 2019, 21:20:
It always takes them a good solid year to finish patching the bugs out, at which point it will be on *all* the stores AND probably be on markdown with a decent DLC bundle.

I don't get the outrage.

Many people around here are gaming addicts who are very easily seduced by hype and flashy trailers. They can't NOT preorder a hyped game or buy it on release day. Many folks have zero self control or restraint.

I'm sometimes wondering whether they are actually more annoyed about their own addiction issues or really about the actual exclusivity.
I'm sure it's the former for most because they somehow feel "forced" to buy it on EGS regardless of their resentments.

They simply can't NOT buy the game on release because it would make them feel like an inferior being if they didn't play the game at the same time as "everyone else" does.
They have to be among the ones to discover and experience it "first"... which is all but an illusion, of course, when millions are playing the game simultaneously.

Oh well... to each their own but it'd be great if people were more honest with themselves by admitting that they are the problem and not the EGS exclusivity.

Me, I'm cool with it all for the reason you stated. Just about every game is a half-assed, half-finished piecemeal these days. I'm only buying complete versions on sale.

With a game like Metro it is easy as pie to give it a pass for now as there will be the inevitable redux version in a couple of years.
Games like Borderlands 3, Vampire or 1800 will get the living fuck DLC'ed out of them due to their respective publishers.
I won't touch those games until the final DLC has been released anyway. Until then there is that massive backlog and always something else to play. Zero fuxx given about EGS exclusivity.

Apr 6, 2019, 23:06
Re: Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing Apr 6, 2019, 23:06
Apr 6, 2019, 23:06

Prez wrote on Apr 6, 2019, 22:22:
Pitchford needs to shut his bitch mouth.
Golfclap
The worst criminal in human history, undeniably. There has never been a figure in political history, so dedicated to destroying the prospects of organized human life on the planet, in the near future.

Beating and Gassing Americans for Jesus!

Apr 6, 2019, 22:22
Prez

Re: Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing Apr 6, 2019, 22:22
Apr 6, 2019, 22:22
 Prez

Pitchford needs to shut his bitch mouth.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 6, 2019, 22:08
Re: Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing Apr 6, 2019, 22:08
Apr 6, 2019, 22:08

Apr 6, 2019, 21:54
Re: Steam Shields Borderlands Games from Review Bombing Apr 6, 2019, 21:54
Apr 6, 2019, 21:54

Flatline wrote on Apr 6, 2019, 21:15:
Cutter wrote on Apr 6, 2019, 15:26:
I disagree. I think a company's practices should reflect on the products they make. Boycotts against Coors started in the 60s for their racist/sexist/anti-union policies. And today that still continues with them as MillerCoors. They donate heavily to far-right politicians and organizations. If it skews the score and warns people off of said company and their bad behavior so much the better.

Did... Did Cutter *actually* just equate putting a game for a year on Epic's storefront with sexual harassment, racism, and the ultra right?

Nope.
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older