EU vs Valve and Others Over Geo-Blocking

European Union antitrust regulators are going after Valve and five other game companies over geo-blocking game activations, saying this violates EU regulations. This is a follow-up to news from two years ago that this was one a few potentially anticompetitive practices under investigation. This is outlined in a report on Reuters which says the other companies involved are Bandai Namco, Capcom, Focus Home Interactive, Koch Media, and ZeniMax. Word is an EU commission served the companies with what it calls a "statement of objections," allowing them to reply and request hearings. Here's an explanation:
Companies found guilty of anti-competitive behavior can be fined up to 10 percent of their annual global turnover.

The Commission said it was concerned that Valve and the five game publishers agreed to prevent cross-border sales by geo-blocking the ‘activation keys’ that enable consumers to be able to play games.

This may have prevented consumers from buying cheaper games available in other EU countries.

EU antitrust regulators opened its investigation in February 2017, at the same time also looking into online sales of electronics and hotel rooms.

EU rules prohibit geographically based restrictions that undermine online shopping and cross-border sales. Last month, it fined Nike for blocking cross-border sales of soccer merchandise.
View : : :
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: EU vs Valve and Others Over Geo-Blocking
Apr 8, 2019, 08:50
Re: EU vs Valve and Others Over Geo-Blocking Apr 8, 2019, 08:50
Apr 8, 2019, 08:50

ZeroPike1 wrote on Apr 6, 2019, 14:44:
Beamer wrote on Apr 6, 2019, 11:54:
ZeroPike1 wrote on Apr 6, 2019, 10:51:
Jonjonz wrote on Apr 6, 2019, 07:23:
I wish they would go after Google next and its region blocked vids next.

Region blocked vids, 100% would love that fixed. I mean its not often I get region blocked vids. But when it does happen, its super annoying.

You guys know that's not Google, right?

In this case, the EU is taking action because one corporate entity is doing this.
With what you're complaining about, Google literally only has the rights to the content in one geography. Someone entirely different owns it in another. Google cannot legally show it in the region you're in. They'd prefer to, but someone else has the rights to it.

You're angry at the wrong entity. Which, actually, is pretty common. Again, I'm sometimes really taken aback by how little some posters here understand things like this, despite some of those people posting about it endlessly. We're all near our 40s, shouldn't we know how businesses work? It's only a small percentage - most here either do know or simply ask questions, but unsurprisingly, the angriest always seem the least informed.

Wow good way to talk down to me unsuccessfully. I had ZERO reference as to blaming the Google for it. Jonjonz had the original blame for google. I was referencing Region locking vids in General the practice of it happening at all regardless of reasoning.

Its so amazing how often you have dippy posters who like to act like they know more then others. So uninformed! I'm taken aback myself at how little people understand things like this.

It's essentially impossible to prevent. Sorry. The rights holders are different across different geographies, and this will never, ever change. Doing so would be bad in many ways. Consider, for instance, how many Japanese companies have different forms of distribution than Western ones. If they held the global rights, these videos would never end up on YouTube. You'd have fewer videos floating around, rather than more videos, with some being region locked because the company posting it only owns the rights in their own particular country.

Also, you're very testy, and defensive. You replied in the quote to the guy blaming it, didn't correct him, made sense to assume you make the same assumption he did.

Apr 7, 2019, 21:39
Re: EU vs Valve and Others Over Geo-Blocking Apr 7, 2019, 21:39
Apr 7, 2019, 21:39

MeanJim wrote on Apr 6, 2019, 06:46:
eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 5, 2019, 18:47:
You can adjust to your local economy however you want. What you can not do is ask 400% of the price because the customer is German and only 20% because he is Polish. You can ask 400% (or 20%) of everyone....

Nobody is asking 400% from one region and 20% from another. Regions that can afford it pay 100%, and they sell their product cheaper in regions that are poor and would otherwise pirate the game. It's better to get some profit rather than no profit. The region locks keep scumbags and key resellers from buying cheap keys from poor regions and reselling them for a profit in other regions. All this law does is raise the price in poorer regions which will lead to an increase piracy, which will lead to more DRM for the rest of us.

In this EU wide free market you can not stop me in any way from buying where it's cheapest.

I am just gonna quote you what the article says, and what the actual legal situation is

EU rules prohibit geographically based restrictions that undermine online shopping and cross-border sales.

Can't handle that as a publisher? Then not selling in Europe is your option.

Keys for stuff sold in Europe have to work anywhere in Europe. A regional restriction in any way is illegal.

Apr 6, 2019, 14:44
Re: EU vs Valve and Others Over Geo-Blocking Apr 6, 2019, 14:44
Apr 6, 2019, 14:44

Beamer wrote on Apr 6, 2019, 11:54:

Region blocked vids, 100% would love that fixed. I mean its not often I get region blocked vids. But when it does happen, its super annoying.

In this case, the EU is taking action because one corporate entity is doing this.
With what you're complaining about, Google literally only has the rights to the content in one geography. Someone entirely different owns it in another. Google cannot legally show it in the region you're in. They'd prefer to, but someone else has the rights to it.

You're angry at the wrong entity. Which, actually, is pretty common. Again, I'm sometimes really taken aback by how little some posters here understand things like this, despite some of those people posting about it endlessly. We're all near our 40s, shouldn't we know how businesses work? It's only a small percentage - most here either do know or simply ask questions, but unsurprisingly, the angriest always seem the least informed.

Wow good way to talk down to me unsuccessfully. I had ZERO reference as to blaming the Google for it. Jonjonz had the original blame for google. I was referencing Region locking vids in General the practice of it happening at all regardless of reasoning.

Its so amazing how often you have dippy posters who like to act like they know more then others. So uninformed! I'm taken aback myself at how little people understand things like this.

Apr 6, 2019, 11:54
Re: EU vs Valve and Others Over Geo-Blocking Apr 6, 2019, 11:54
Apr 6, 2019, 11:54

Apr 6, 2019, 10:51
Re: EU vs Valve and Others Over Geo-Blocking Apr 6, 2019, 10:51
Apr 6, 2019, 10:51

Apr 6, 2019, 07:23
Re: EU vs Valve and Others Over Geo-Blocking Apr 6, 2019, 07:23
Apr 6, 2019, 07:23

"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

Apr 6, 2019, 06:46
Re: EU vs Valve and Others Over Geo-Blocking Apr 6, 2019, 06:46
Apr 6, 2019, 06:46

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 5, 2019, 18:47:
You can adjust to your local economy however you want. What you can not do is ask 400% of the price because the customer is German and only 20% because he is Polish. You can ask 400% (or 20%) of everyone....

Nobody is asking 400% from one region and 20% from another. Regions that can afford it pay 100%, and they sell their product cheaper in regions that are poor and would otherwise pirate the game. It's better to get some profit rather than no profit. The region locks keep scumbags and key resellers from buying cheap keys from poor regions and reselling them for a profit in other regions. All this law does is raise the price in poorer regions which will lead to an increase piracy, which will lead to more DRM for the rest of us.
"The only way anyone can live in peace is if they're prepared to forgive." - The Doctor

Apr 6, 2019, 04:59
Re: EU vs Valve and Others Over Geo-Blocking Apr 6, 2019, 04:59
Apr 6, 2019, 04:59

bigspender wrote on Apr 5, 2019, 19:22:
Seems like Valve just doesn't have as powerful lobby group in the EU as the beef/dairy industry.

Yup, probably because if you are hungry you can't eat video games. Which makes farmers more important to preserve for politicians.

Apr 6, 2019, 04:27
Re: EU vs Valve and Others Over Geo-Blocking Apr 6, 2019, 04:27
Apr 6, 2019, 04:27

MeanJim wrote on Apr 5, 2019, 15:43:
Bodolza wrote on Apr 5, 2019, 15:01:
Beamer wrote on Apr 5, 2019, 13:43:
There's no reason, except that some countries average $85,000 per year for a family of four, and other countries, with the same currency, average $25,000.

And because they're part of the EU, those families are free to move and work in those other countries if they want the higher salary. Of course the cost of living will also be higher, so it might not be worth it, but they have the freedom to choose where they live and work.

So everything except video games is allowed to be adjusted for the local economy?
Pretty much. It's an ongoing issue with the EU in general: how do they offer a single digital market overlaid on top of a union of many different countries? A single market is economically efficient - vendors don't need to worry about rules and regulations for 28 different nations - but the fact that these countries are still in some ways so disparate leaves some issues.

The prevailing thought is that because digital goods are cheap to copy, a single market is superior. Whereas physical goods have local labor costs, and therefore can and should be priced to match the local norms.

Apr 5, 2019, 19:22
Re: EU vs Valve and Others Over Geo-Blocking Apr 5, 2019, 19:22
Apr 5, 2019, 19:22

EU are against anti-competitive behaviour hey? Then why the F, did they just make a law saying you can't call veggie burgers "burgers" and have to call them discs. And that you can't call plant-based milk "milk", unless it's coconut milk, since it's not in competition with dairy.

http://tinyurl.com/y43f5yps (The Guardian News Paper)

Seems like Valve just doesn't have as powerful lobby group in the EU as the beef/dairy industry.

Apr 5, 2019, 18:47
Re: EU vs Valve and Others Over Geo-Blocking Apr 5, 2019, 18:47
Apr 5, 2019, 18:47

There's no reason, except that some countries average $85,000 per year for a family of four, and other countries, with the same currency, average $25,000.

And because they're part of the EU, those families are free to move and work in those other countries if they want the higher salary. Of course the cost of living will also be higher, so it might not be worth it, but they have the freedom to choose where they live and work.

So everything except video games is allowed to be adjusted for the local economy?

By the way, the fact regional pricing (meaning the buyers region, not the sellers region) within the EU is illegal is well known, and the publishers had 6 !!! years to find a solution. The investigations started 2 years ago.

Actually I think I have to really explain that, when you buy something only thing that matters is that you are an EU citizen. A store can not have different prices for EU citizens just because they come from different parts of the EU. That's the root problem here. If you run a bakery then you price your stuff to be OK for your region and to make a profit, fair enough, and Germans and Polish people, or Greek people, can come to you and pay that price regardless of THEIR purchasing power difference. Publishers can NOT region lock keys in the EU and what steam is doing with regional pricing is equally illegal. And has been for years.

The fact that both Steam (and other stores) and publishers choose to ignore this is the root of this issue. The entire EU1 and EU2 region split on Steam is also illegal.

Apr 5, 2019, 18:11
Re: EU vs Valve and Others Over Geo-Blocking Apr 5, 2019, 18:11
Apr 5, 2019, 18:11

Here in Manhattan, a can of any beer, even swill like Bud Light, is $8+. As such, I think Trump should pass legislation that beer should be $8 a bottle in every part of the country. It's only fair, right?

Apr 5, 2019, 15:43
Re: EU vs Valve and Others Over Geo-Blocking Apr 5, 2019, 15:43
Apr 5, 2019, 15:43

"The only way anyone can live in peace is if they're prepared to forgive." - The Doctor

Apr 5, 2019, 15:33
Re: EU vs Valve and Others Over Geo-Blocking Apr 5, 2019, 15:33
Apr 5, 2019, 15:33

I mean, they could, but they certainly couldn't buy, and would likely struggle to show the income required to rent. Beyond that, part of why incomes are lower in these countries is they have less commerce, and more blue collar jobs, meaning that their skills aren't particularly transferable, even if their citizenship is.

Apr 5, 2019, 15:01
Re: EU vs Valve and Others Over Geo-Blocking Apr 5, 2019, 15:01
Apr 5, 2019, 15:01

Apr 5, 2019, 14:28
Re: EU vs Valve and Others Over Geo-Blocking Apr 5, 2019, 14:28
Apr 5, 2019, 14:28

El Pit wrote on Apr 5, 2019, 12:34:
Beamer wrote on Apr 5, 2019, 11:49:
CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 5, 2019, 11:33:
Globalization FTW!

If a publisher buys cheap labor in a shithole country then I wanna be able to buy the game cheap from a shithole country. Fair's fair, bitches.

Fuck geo-blocking and FUCK Valve. Go, go, go EU! Zap 'dem muthafuckas haarrrrrrrddd.

But that actually works out well for you.
The way it works now, games are basically pegged at average salary. So a game is more expensive in the UK, where people earn a lot, than in Albania, where they do not. This gives incentive for everyone to buy.

What will happen now is that Albania's prices will rocket up. The people in countries paying more won't see lower prices, but fewer Albanians will be able to buy, and more will either not play the game or not buy and instead pirate.

In the long run, Albanians have fewer games to play, which is bad. Developers will earn less, as fewer people will be playing or more will be pirating. And the people in wealthier countries will be paying the same amount for games that now have smaller communities, and were developed with fewer resources and smaller forecasts and therefore have fewer features (or more half-baked features.)

Everyone loses, but hey, at least the pricing is equal (but not fair!)

Yes, most likely corporate greed (and not fair pricing!!!) will make games in other countries now "more expensive". But actually they won't be more expensive - they will just have the same price as in other countries.

There is no reason why in a country with the same currency (Euro) as in other countries the citizens of this country have to pay less Euros than citizen in another country. This is how the gray markets got started - and in the end, this is what the EU wants: the end of the gray markets.

Or we should have different prices locked to personal income even inside each country - would you think this to be fair? Give a game for a buck to somebody living on social welfare but make somebody else pay maybe $200 for exactly the same product?

Some billionaires are all about ONE WORLD - ONE PEOPLE. All I ask from those guys is ONE WORLD - ONE PRICE. For ONE PEOPLE...

Yup. The EU expanded too fast and the introduction of the Euro was several decades, or maybe even a century or two, premature. The eggheads in Brussels and in leading European countries should have signed free tariffs and trade agreements with the poor countries but full EU membership never should have happened for some countries until they got their shit together, i.e. until they were politically and economically more aligned with western/central European countries.

But, no, can't have that common sense... instead vain, greedy, powerhungry moron politicians had to exploit Russia's temporary weakness in the Jelzin era by expanding the EU eastward as fast as possible. Dumb and shortsighted as fuck that was.

It would have been much better to leave it at a mostly economic level with a long term prospect of full EU membership and introduction of the Euro as a currency several decades later.

Of course those moron politicians wouldn't even be around decades later so instead of doing the smart thing they are vain and stupid and only want to get their own names in the history books as the ones who signed the EU membership contracts or the ones who introduced the Euro. Tards only doing what's best for themselves (and for Kohl/Mitterand/Merkel/Hollande/Sarkozy) and not what would have been best for their countries.

Apr 5, 2019, 13:43
Re: EU vs Valve and Others Over Geo-Blocking Apr 5, 2019, 13:43
Apr 5, 2019, 13:43

Beamer wrote on Apr 5, 2019, 11:49:
CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 5, 2019, 11:33:
Globalization FTW!

If a publisher buys cheap labor in a shithole country then I wanna be able to buy the game cheap from a shithole country. Fair's fair, bitches.

Fuck geo-blocking and FUCK Valve. Go, go, go EU! Zap 'dem muthafuckas haarrrrrrrddd.

But that actually works out well for you.
The way it works now, games are basically pegged at average salary. So a game is more expensive in the UK, where people earn a lot, than in Albania, where they do not. This gives incentive for everyone to buy.

What will happen now is that Albania's prices will rocket up. The people in countries paying more won't see lower prices, but fewer Albanians will be able to buy, and more will either not play the game or not buy and instead pirate.

In the long run, Albanians have fewer games to play, which is bad. Developers will earn less, as fewer people will be playing or more will be pirating. And the people in wealthier countries will be paying the same amount for games that now have smaller communities, and were developed with fewer resources and smaller forecasts and therefore have fewer features (or more half-baked features.)

Everyone loses, but hey, at least the pricing is equal (but not fair!)

Yes, most likely corporate greed (and not fair pricing!!!) will make games in other countries now "more expensive". But actually they won't be more expensive - they will just have the same price as in other countries.

There is no reason why in a country with the same currency (Euro) as in other countries the citizens of this country have to pay less Euros than citizen in another country. This is how the gray markets got started - and in the end, this is what the EU wants: the end of the gray markets.

Or we should have different prices locked to personal income even inside each country - would you think this to be fair? Give a game for a buck to somebody living on social welfare but make somebody else pay maybe $200 for exactly the same product?

Some billionaires are all about ONE WORLD - ONE PEOPLE. All I ask from those guys is ONE WORLD - ONE PRICE. For ONE PEOPLE...

Apr 5, 2019, 13:28
Re: EU vs Valve and Others Over Geo-Blocking Apr 5, 2019, 13:28
Apr 5, 2019, 13:28

Another brilliant, consumer-friendly move by Brussels![not]...;) Ta-Da! The jackboots are on display, again! So now...all those EU citizens who through no fault of their own live in the poorer areas of the EU and don't earn as much money as their neighboring fellow EU citizens will no longer benefit from the lower prices the companies were charging them so that they could sell copies in those areas, as well--the higher prices charged in higher-income areas subsidizing those lower prices. Notice how Brussels is *not* equalizing the incomes of EU citizens through regulation--because *that* would result in massive business failures and many tens of thousands of unemployed--take a look at France, if you want to see the joyful results of pie-in-the-sky economic theories that simply *don't work.* Yes, now, everyone will have to pay the same jackboot-imprinted prices whether they can afford those prices or not. Yea, just brilliant /s.

It's laughable (or detestable) how these articles are always written somewhat worshipfully about the EUC, as one might describe immortal Gods incapable of mistake or any of the other ills that flesh is heir to. The EUC tries to portray the *companies* as being wrong to charge varying prices based on geographically distributed mean incomes. Yet amazingly, the same articles rarely demonstrate the flip side of the coin, which is the *damage* that heavy-handed, one-size-fits-all dictatorial economic governmental policies cause the very citizens they are supposed to be "representing."

But--you can still look to France for a fine example--or Venezuela...;) I believe it was only last week when Macron was quoted, saying, "Let them eat global warming," or something like that...;) (J/K, maybe.) The reaction is just what you'd expect, however, to the kind of bourgeois elitism so revered in EU Europe these days--rioting in the streets. And believe me, as the guillotines are oiled up all across France, the citizens are *not* rioting against the corporations that produce every good and service their hearts desire--no, their ire is directed at the governments that want to tax, regulate, and spend them into poverty, while Macron and his elite government ilk party on like there's no tomorrow.

It is well known that I don't make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in something I have written, you can be confident in the fact that *I* did not write it.

Apr 5, 2019, 13:25
Kxmode

Re: EU vs Valve and Others Over Geo-Blocking Apr 5, 2019, 13:25
Apr 5, 2019, 13:25
 Kxmode

ONE LOVE... let's get together and feel alll right. Jester
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Apr 5, 2019, 12:57
Re: EU vs Valve and Others Over Geo-Blocking Apr 5, 2019, 12:57
Apr 5, 2019, 12:57

coldcut wrote on Apr 5, 2019, 11:23:
It seems wrong to have the exact same (digital or not) product differ in price by more than 60-70% only by crossing some borders, especially if you pay in the "same" Euro currency. For example, in Poland you pay around half the price for food as you would in Germany (give or take). For me it's kind of hard to understand why my Euro gives me twice the amount of stuff in another country.

Take a 50% pay cut, lower your standard of living, go enjoy cheaper food in Poland at the expense of a lot of other things ?

I always thought it was pretty obvious why some countries have higher cost of living, but if the Germans are confused by it...
Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older