Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

There's buzz in the news lately about The Matrix, as the influential sci-fi movie just turned 20. For perspective, at the time of the movie's release 20 year-old movies in the genre included Alien, Mad Max, and Star Trek: The Motion Picture. That is even more startling to note, as that means those three movies all turn 40 this year. I see some discussion of whether The Matrix holds up, which surprises me, because I think most of us took it for an instant classic. It has been several years since I last re-watched it, however, so this is an excuse to revisit it. And I will do so, because as a wise mouse once said, "to deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."

Human Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Diamond Step.
Stories: Tourists Ruin Massive Louvre Installation Within One Day. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Affidavit: 2 Arkansas men don bullet-resistant vest, shoot each other.
Science: Robot can feed people with disabilities.
Poor diet and not enough healthy food killing us, global study finds.
HPV immunization has "wiped out cases of cervical pre-cancer" in Scotland.
Images: The Winners Of The Smithsonian Magazine's 2018 Photo Contest Are Stunning.
Media: Getting Into My Wife's Beaver.
Remove Coke Can from Coke.
Snowmobile Jumps Highway.
Follow-up: SpaceX’s Starhopper vehicle test fires its engine for the first time.
The Funnies: Adult Children.

View
70 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

70. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2019, 15:53 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Apr 6, 2019, 17:18:
RedEye9 wrote on Apr 5, 2019, 19:27:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 5, 2019, 03:08:
theglaze wrote on Apr 4, 2019, 21:40:
There’s a theory that evolution has not lead any life form to immortality because death by non-natural causes is inevitable.

For example, the odds of being struck by lightning in your lifetime is 1 in 3,000 (‘fact’ by NOAA), and say that strike is deadly 50% of the time. If you live forever, your exposure to a completely random and deadly events is infinite.

Or imagine the single cell organisms that existed billions of years ago, and there was a perfect one that could 100% maintain itself to live forever. But eventually a larger cell came along and ate it.

The theory suggests that life evolved under the premise that death is inevitable, not because the perfect living organism isn’t possible, but because a perfect design does not result in living forever. So other attributes to improve longevity evolved, like in our case, no other species on land could out-pace us in our pursuit to hunt them.

And now we’re also the most intelligent. So perhaps we can invent ways to prevent death of natural causes. But you can still get hit by a bus!

I read an article about this years ago. The calculation was if you eliminate death from old age and illness, the average lifespan would be 800 years.
You more than likely read about a yeast and wild ass extrapolation thinking it could apply to homo sapiens. But it does make for a nifty click bait headline.
https://io9.gizmodo.com/geneticists-discover-a-way-to-extend-lifespans-to-800-y-345728
Definitely not that article. It was several years ago, so I'll have to do some research. On my phone now so maybe later. Also, can't watch your videos until later either.
I feel like I've waited 400 years for your source. I even converted my dog over to eating nothing but yeast free vegans. I fear she will outlive me if I cannot unlock the secret of living over 147. Anxious

I want to shut the noise out and reconnect to my inner thoughts on the road to feeling more at one with myself. Fleabag
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

69. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 6, 2019, 17:18 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 5, 2019, 19:27:
There’s a theory that evolution has not lead any life form to immortality because death by non-natural causes is inevitable.

For example, the odds of being struck by lightning in your lifetime is 1 in 3,000 (‘fact’ by NOAA), and say that strike is deadly 50% of the time. If you live forever, your exposure to a completely random and deadly events is infinite.

Or imagine the single cell organisms that existed billions of years ago, and there was a perfect one that could 100% maintain itself to live forever. But eventually a larger cell came along and ate it.

The theory suggests that life evolved under the premise that death is inevitable, not because the perfect living organism isn’t possible, but because a perfect design does not result in living forever. So other attributes to improve longevity evolved, like in our case, no other species on land could out-pace us in our pursuit to hunt them.

And now we’re also the most intelligent. So perhaps we can invent ways to prevent death of natural causes. But you can still get hit by a bus!

I read an article about this years ago. The calculation was if you eliminate death from old age and illness, the average lifespan would be 800 years.
You more than likely read about a yeast and wild ass extrapolation thinking it could apply to homo sapiens. But it does make for a nifty click bait headline.
https://io9.gizmodo.com/geneticists-discover-a-way-to-extend-lifespans-to-800-y-345728
Definitely not that article. It was several years ago, so I'll have to do some research. On my phone now so maybe later. Also, can't watch your videos until later either.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

68. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2019, 19:27 RedEye9

I want to shut the noise out and reconnect to my inner thoughts on the road to feeling more at one with myself. Fleabag

67. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2019, 19:08 RedEye9

https://videosift.com/video/A-Hard-Question-For-Religion

https://youtu.be/uQ7GvwUsJ7w

66. Re: Poor diet and not enough healthy food killing us Apr 5, 2019, 13:38 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Apr 5, 2019, 11:36:
Beamer wrote on Apr 5, 2019, 07:23:
How long after Jesus' death was The Bible written, again?

It began with Moses sometime after the Exodus and concluded with John's revelation before his death in 90 CE. About 1,600 years from beginning to end. So to answer your question, it was still in development after Jesus' death.

Pretty sure Beam's implication applied to the New Testament only.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

65. Re: Poor diet and not enough healthy food killing us Apr 5, 2019, 13:32 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Apr 5, 2019, 06:36:

Much longer than that. DNA replication is a standard in most living organisms. On average it takes about seven-ten years for the entire human body to replicate itself through the cell-division cycle. Unfortunately, after each iteration cells age until eventually, they stop, and this is primarily the reason we age and eventually die. Now it stands to reason if cells could divide every seven-ten years with no degeneration then a human would be able to live forever and still look 20-30. Something introduced to the gene pool after Adam's sin caused the human race to decay from birth and eventually die. I guarantee this is something scientists will never be able to solve. As the saying goes "you can't cheat death" and sin is effectively a death sentence but one that will eventually be removed from the human condition. For God, it is possible to "format" sin out of the human body and "reinstall" us back to our original "software" thereby enabling something like unlimited cell-division to occur resulting in an unlimited lifespan.

Sorry, I posted an incomplete thought. 800 years is the average with no old age or disease with death caused by accident. That lifespan will increase as we improve safety features like self-driving cars which will drastically reduce the 44,000 US vehicle deaths per year.

64. Re: Poor diet and not enough healthy food killing us Apr 5, 2019, 13:20 VaranDragon

Kxmode wrote on Apr 5, 2019, 11:54:
VaranDragon wrote on Apr 5, 2019, 07:45:
The reason why cells age, is to do with replication errors during the cell-division stage.

Think of a Xerox machine. If you make a copy of a document, then a copy of the copy, another copy of the first copy, a copy of the second copy and so on, at some point you would arrive at a complete garbled mess that doesn't resemble the original document at all.

Nice illustration! That perfectly sums up sin's affect on humans over the thousands of years.

This is true of pretty much all complex living organisms we have discovered so far. This is the reason why things age and die, and why reproduction and evolution exist at all.

Humans are fundamentally different from other complex living organism, by design.

Or you can choose to ignore all of this, including the phyisical laws of ENTROPY and say GOD did it if it makes you happy.

Entropy is closely tied to the lack of order or predictability and it occurs for humans because of inherited sin and imperfection, not because of evolution going awry. This inherited flaw prevents cells from achieving their full potential. As a species, we're getting worse, not better and if not stopped imperfection eventually will consume our species.

How's that for entropy?

Actually entropy occurs for every known system in the universe, it is not limited to humans, or any other living or indeed non-living system. Saying that entropy occurs because of some other pre-existing reason, whether divine or not, is getting it assbackwards. It is because of entropy that life, and indeed evolution, is structured the way it is, aging, dying etc. not the other way around. You can go ahead and say well thats because God designed it that way, and I can say that it doesn't matter. It's physics, and it works, a designer is not only unlikely, he is irrelevant. The process exists it is extremely well documented and understood, without resorting to mystical writings of men who had no understanding at all of the physical properties of the universe.

63. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2019, 13:00 theglaze

Using numbers to back up a religious perspective is like a scientist applying morals to microbiological culture in a Petri dish. The ideas are incompatible.

Speaking of perspectives, consider this mosaic of pictures taken over 4 years by a telescope in Maui. It's our astrological view of the Milky Way and visible universe, over 800,000,000 objects (stars, galaxies, nebula, etc).

It also looks like a Petri dish!

http://hubblesite.org/image/4316/gallery

62. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2019, 12:39 Kxmode

Beamer wrote on Apr 5, 2019, 12:06:
Kxmode wrote on Apr 5, 2019, 11:56:
Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 5, 2019, 11:37:
If your statements contain quotes from religious texts, I'd say my calling it preaching is more than fair.

Then that makes you, with all due respect, ignorant.

KX, let me ask you - would you engage with any kind of debate with someone that keeps basing his opinions, and using as evidence, Dyanetics and the works of L. Ron Hubbard?

Probably not, right? The first time he says that you need to do XYZ because it will get you to a higher plane of existence and closer to the thetans, you'd probably just stop, right?

You do realize that Scientology is a religion, and people believe it. They do so on blind faith, because there's absolutely no evidence that what's in the book is real, so people need to have blind faith that it is. Blind faith, of course, is believing in something despite there being no evidence to base it upon.

You are no different than a Scientologist to many here. Their book has just as much going for it as your book does. Basing your scientific beliefs on it comes across as preachy and, well, ignorant (which was your word first.)

I might have a discussion to hear their point of view if nothing else to get their perspective on something and I would likely disagree with them on points, but I wouldn't disrespect their beliefs. Everyone is free to believe whatever they wish.

Regarding "blind faith." That's not exactly true for a Scientologist. They put their faith in something the religion offers, and it is as real to them as your viewpoints are to you. The real question then is what is faith based on and can it be quantified? The first step of any belief is facts. As you so eloquently pointed out Scientology is a religion started by a science fiction author to sell books. Those who have achieve the highest levels in the religion to learn the the full "truth" did so at great cost to both their wealth and psyche.

Conversely, the Bible is grounded on real people, places, and events along with historical facts that archaeologists do not dispute. The Bible speaks to the human condition and helps people with wealth, happiness, family life, a job, and how to be a generally good person in society (to name a few examples). Further, it is the only book that has detailed prophecies told hundreds of years in advanced and where those prophecies occurred has a 100% success rate as described (that alone makes the Bible a genuinely unique book). Further, the book itself took around 1,600 years to complete and contains a singular thread that runs from Genesis through Revelation. No human or group of humans could ever write something like this on their own. Faith in the Bible is based on the facts that one can build their faith upon. In other words, it is not blind nor is it ignorant.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

61. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2019, 12:06 Beamer

Kxmode wrote on Apr 5, 2019, 11:56:
If your statements contain quotes from religious texts, I'd say my calling it preaching is more than fair.

KX, let me ask you - would you engage with any kind of debate with someone that keeps basing his opinions, and using as evidence, Dyanetics and the works of L. Ron Hubbard?

Probably not, right? The first time he says that you need to do XYZ because it will get you to a higher plane of existence and closer to the thetans, you'd probably just stop, right?

You do realize that Scientology is a religion, and people believe it. They do so on blind faith, because there's absolutely no evidence that what's in the book is real, so people need to have blind faith that it is. Blind faith, of course, is believing in something despite there being no evidence to base it upon.

You are no different than a Scientologist to many here. Their book has just as much going for it as your book does. Basing your scientific beliefs on it comes across as preachy and, well, ignorant (which was your word first.)

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

60. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2019, 12:01 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 5, 2019, 11:41:
Kxmode wrote on Apr 5, 2019, 11:33:
RedEye9 wrote on Apr 5, 2019, 09:01:
Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 5, 2019, 07:22:
You are not having a conversation Kxmode, you are preaching. Please stop.
Preaching has a purpose, this is more akin to "sperging out".

Do you have anything meaningful to add beyond your ad hominem aspersions?
We are all waiting for you to add ANYTHING that is meaningful instead of full on KXCrusademode gibberish.
Here's a script that you need to use. Wink
https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/29087-bluesnews-hide-user/code

Still using "crusade?" That's how I know you have nothing to contribute.

Are you asking me to censor you? Shouldn't it be the other way around? It won't hurt my feelings. That's why I made the script and made it available to everyone. Sharing is caring.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

59. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2019, 11:56 Kxmode

58. Re: Poor diet and not enough healthy food killing us Apr 5, 2019, 11:54 Kxmode

The reason why cells age, is to do with replication errors during the cell-division stage.

Think of a Xerox machine. If you make a copy of a document, then a copy of the copy, another copy of the first copy, a copy of the second copy and so on, at some point you would arrive at a complete garbled mess that doesn't resemble the original document at all.

Nice illustration! That perfectly sums up sin's affect on humans over the thousands of years.

This is true of pretty much all complex living organisms we have discovered so far. This is the reason why things age and die, and why reproduction and evolution exist at all.

Humans are fundamentally different from other complex living organism, by design.

Or you can choose to ignore all of this, including the phyisical laws of ENTROPY and say GOD did it if it makes you happy.

Entropy is closely tied to the lack of order or predictability and it occurs for humans because of inherited sin and imperfection, not because of evolution going awry. This inherited flaw prevents cells from achieving their full potential. As a species, we're getting worse, not better and if not stopped imperfection eventually will consume our species.

How's that for entropy?

57. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2019, 11:41 RedEye9

Kxmode wrote on Apr 5, 2019, 11:33:

We are all waiting for you to add ANYTHING that is meaningful instead of full on KXCrusademode gibberish.
Here's a script that you need to use. Wink
https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/29087-bluesnews-hide-user/code

56. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2019, 11:37 Mr. Tact

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

55. Re: Poor diet and not enough healthy food killing us Apr 5, 2019, 11:36 Kxmode

Beamer wrote on Apr 5, 2019, 07:23:
How long after Jesus' death was The Bible written, again?

It began with Moses sometime after the Exodus and concluded with John's revelation before his death in 90 CE. About 1,600 years from beginning to end. So to answer your question, it was still in development after Jesus' death.

54. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2019, 11:33 Kxmode

53. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2019, 11:24 Kxmode

When you express your point of view on a topic that's not preaching but because mine comes from a prism of religion that it is now preaching? Only a intolerant person would see it as a binary.

52. Re: Out of the Blue Louvre Installation Apr 5, 2019, 09:04 Beamer

Jonjonz wrote on Apr 5, 2019, 07:27:
Ah that ever disastrous and waste of funds you get when you mix public bureaucracy any "art" other than classical art, many times over if it involves an "installation."

Yes, because the only good art is classical art, and the public should never fund it. The St. Louis Arch and the Statue of Liberty are so wasteful and horrible!

Imagine being angry at art. You're a guy who votes for tax cuts designed specifically to cut music programs in public elementary schools, aren't you?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

51. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2019, 09:01 RedEye9

70 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo