Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September

2K Games and Gearbox Software confirm a recent rumor with the announcement of a September 13th release date for Borderlands 3, also confirming speculation that the PC edition of the shooter sequel will be exclusive to the Epic Games Store until a year from now. The Xbox Wire has a write-up on the game and an Official Announce Trailer, and the game's listing on the Microsoft Store suggests Windows and Xbox One cross-platform support, showing "cross-platform co-op" as one of the game's capabilities. The press release includes box art and a couple of screenshots, but this is still fairly preliminary, as more revelations are planned for next month: "For more details on the story, characters, gear, and everything else you’ll find in Borderlands 3, tune in on May 1 for the extended Gameplay Reveal Event livestream." There are plans for four different editions with escalating perks: A Standard Edition ($59.99 USD), a Deluxe Edition with bonus digital content ($79.99 USD), a Super Deluxe Edition with a Season Pass ($99.99 USD, or $119.99 after September 17th), and a Diamond Loot Chest Collector's Edition with all the preceding bonuses and a bunch of physical goodies ($249.99 USD). Here's word on their partnerships with the Epic Games Store and AMD:

PC Gaming on Steroids in Collaboration with AMD and the Epic Games store:
Developed from the ground up with AMD, Borderlands 3 will take full advantage of the most powerful PC hardware available, and is optimized for top performance and incredible gaming experiences on AMD Radeon™ graphics cards and Ryzen™ CPUs.

At launch on September 13, Borderlands 3 will be available for PC exclusively through the Epic Games store. Borderlands 3 will be available on additional PC digital storefronts in April 2020.

“The PC gaming community has been an important part of the success of the Borderlands series, and we are excited to be partnering with Epic who recognize its worldwide popularity and share in our commitment to bring Borderlands 3 to this rapidly expanding audience,” said Ismailer. “Our mission, in addition to delivering the most engaging and captivating entertainment experiences, is to embrace new distribution platforms that will contribute to our effort to grow the audience for Borderlands 3.”

View
92 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

92. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 7, 2019, 09:46 Kain

Random thought: RDR2 PC will be an EGS exclusive, assuming it ever comes out. Same publisher  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

91. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 4, 2019, 16:46 Beamer

Listen, FloorPie, I'll just deal with your "exclusives kill price" argument.

What creates better pricing? Four main things:

1) Falling costs. As something gets cheaper to make, it often gets cheaper to purchase

2) Falling demand. This, of course, can have the opposite, as sometimes something being less in demand causes greater pricing, because selling less of something can greatly increase the cost to produce it

3) Competition over similar products. If Rage 2 wants to compete with Borderlands 3, one way to do so is to drop the price and show more value

4) Competition between retailers. Walmart can drop its price on Bounty Towels to get consumers to come to them over Target (though they do not - Walmart is Every Day Low Price, so they do not do sales), or Walmart can pressure Huffy Bikes to send production to China to reduce costs so that consumers can buy a $99 bicycle

How would an Epic Store reduce prices?

1) Epic has greatly reduced the cost to bring a game to market in some cases. In theory, this can be passed on to the consumer, though I do not expect it will be, because publishers typically try to maintain Minimum Advertised Price, and would be pressured by any other retail outlet (be it Steam or Gamestop) to match prices, otherwise it does them a disadvantage

2) Not Applicable

3) Not Applicable

4) Not Applicable. See, people like you keep thinking this is applicable. You keep thinking that Epic will want more sales than Steam, so it would drop prices, but instead it's doing exclusives. THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE. Again, Epic does not control pricing - publishers do. So there is NO PRICING COMPETITION AMONGST STEAM AND EPIC. The exact same human being, literally the exact same person, sets the price on both places. That person is an employee of the publisher, and does not particularly care if people are on Epic or on Steam. He wants a sale. Neither would have a pricing advantage, because neither controls their pricing.

There could be a billion storefronts, but since they're marketplaces, that one employee sets pricing on each storefront, and therefore increased competition isn't pricing competition, because while there are more places to buy something, there are not more people deciding pricing.

Let me give you a tangible, real-world example, since this seems to escape you. Amazon controls its pricing for some products, but for others, its a marketplace. For most products, it's actually both - Amazon sells the product itself, but any Joe Schmoe holding the product can also list it. For Luxury Beauty, though, Amazon restricts those Joe Schmoe's, and sells at MSRP. Several products have begun selling on Amazon, where they'd previously only been on Sephora. Now they're on both. "Great," someone unfamiliar with the concept of marketplaces may think, "competition! The price will fall!" But, in every case, the price has gone up? Why? Because, even though it's now on Amazon, being officially on Amazon has brought about price stability. Amazon is no longer selling below MSRP, because it has an official relationship with the brand. The brand is now in control of the pricing on Amazon. Any discounts are gone.

Anyone arguing this does not understand how online marketplaces work. You keep arguing for something to happen that is literally impossible. The entities in competition do not control pricing, so pricing will not fall.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

90. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 4, 2019, 16:08 FloorPie

Beamer wrote on Apr 4, 2019, 10:18:
VaranDragon wrote on Apr 4, 2019, 10:13:
Beamer wrote on Apr 4, 2019, 08:16:
It isn't as if Steam had this day one,

Actually it did have this day one. Most people bought Half-Life 2 on DVD.

But it didn't have GMG and the like.
Epic does have CD Keys. Again, Humble Bundle sells Epic Store products. Green Man Gaming doesn't today. I'd give it, I dunno, 6 months, tops?

No, they announced two weeks ago that they would be partnering with Humble to sell Epic game keys. Please link to me a game on sale at Humble that is Epic key right now. None of their big exclusives show up that I can see.

As to the price competition. Yes, going with exclusives kills price competition. I am amazed how many people refuse to see this and come up with endless excuses. Ubisoft seems quite happy to limit competition by going with the system Epic is offering. So yes I'm going to blame both, but especially Epic who started this whole nonsense to try and get their piece of the pie.

Heck, that dumpster fire known as Fallout76 headlined Bethesda's new launcher as an exclusive yet I could buy the boxed copy on Amazon before and after release as well as digital on GMG and Humble. Bethesda announced in the past week that FO76 and other games will be coming to Steam as well.

At best you have the realization that Epic is doing this slapdash and not really thinking ahead much. This may help the gaming customer in the long run but in the short run it means I have less choices on where to buy my digital game keys which means less competition.

Maybe Epic will indeed offer up summer sales etc. but then why bother? Ubisoft used to be horrible about having sales on Uplay compared to their products on Steam. That was one reason I bought Ubi games on Steam more often. They got better in the past year but now I doubt they'll try so hard since we're stuck with Uplay and Epic stores.

89. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 4, 2019, 13:04 Beamer

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 4, 2019, 13:02:
I'm pretty sure the only exclusive title I've ever purchased was HL2, though I wouldn't be shocked if my memory is failing me. From reading this topic it would appear I'm an idiot if I want to stick with Steam only, or I'm an idiot if I bend to Epic's extortion -- depending on whom I listen too. I think I'll pass on all of these opinions. If and when a publisher starts selling an exclusive I can't wait for, I'll sign up and buy it. When that day comes, I'll alert the media.

I don't think anyone is an idiot, I think the overreaction is idiotic. I've not seen you overreact.

However, I am pretty certain you have multiple games only available on Steam. GMG and the like does not count, because those are still Steam games.

-------------

88. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 4, 2019, 13:02 Mr. Tact

I'm pretty sure the only exclusive title I've ever purchased was HL2, though I wouldn't be shocked if my memory is failing me. From reading this topic it would appear I'm an idiot if I want to stick with Steam only, or I'm an idiot if I bend to Epic's extortion -- depending on whom I listen too. I think I'll pass on all of these opinions. If and when a publisher starts selling an exclusive I can't wait for, I'll sign up and buy it. When that day comes, I'll alert the media.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

87. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 4, 2019, 12:39 Beamer

Hanneth wrote on Apr 4, 2019, 12:12:
Beamer wrote on Apr 4, 2019, 07:00:
As I've posted on every single thread:

1) EPIC CANNOT GIVE YOU PRICE COMPETITION! THE MARKETPLACES DO NOT OWN PRICING, THE PUBLISHERS DO. Bolding, so hopefully people read it, but neither Valve nor Epic control pricing.

2) Epic is not reducing options, nor choice. The truth is, you've only ever had one option and no choices. Steam has been your only choice for nearly every game. Seriously, look through your library and see how many are available without Steam. You'll probably find less than 20% available elsewhere (at least when they launched.)

3) PRICES ARE NOT BEING "INFLATED LONGER." Again, pricing is controlled by the publisher. It will be change every bit as often as pricing had been changed before Epic, when that game was solely on Steam. The number of marketplaces has no impact on pricing, because, again, it isn't the marketplace picking prices, but the publisher, meaning they have one pricing strategy across every single marketplace.

As you have posted everywhere else, so it must be true.

1) This is 100% false. As part of these exclusive deals, combined with the lower selling charge, Epic can request the publisher to have slightly lower prices. They can even lower the selling charge as part of the deal. If the store becomes big enough they can even use refusal to list games as a negotiation tactic.

2) While I agree on not reducing choices, I do not agree on Steam being the only other choice right now. *Looks at his GOG library with many games that released on Steam the same day* It could be argued that Epic is fragmenting the market too much, but as they support other publishers, and most other stores do not, I don't agree with the fragmentation view.

3) Marketing 101, for hundreds of years limited time exclusives have been proven to keep the original price of goods up for an extended period of time. While this will not help Epic, it can help the publishers if they are willing to sacrifice initial sales and are confident that they have a good product.

1) "Epic can request." Yes, but requesting something isn't controlling. And yes, as part of the exclusivity, Epic could demand that the price be lower. But that's just changing MSRP. What people are also asking for is quicker sales, and Epic has no bearing over when things go on sale. Nor does Valve. You're confusing terms, and confusing the demands people are making.

2) GOG is the only competitor out there, and its offerings are, what, 3% of what Valve sells? Lacking most new AAA titles? Constantly teetering on financial collapse?

3) For hundreds of years, oddly, we haven't had online marketplaces. Again, you're entirely missing how this works. Currently, pricing is exclusively held by one entity - the publisher. Epic is not changing that. Valve did not change that. When a game is on sale for 20% of on Steam, no one at Valve made that decision - the publisher did.

-------------

86. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 4, 2019, 12:12 Hanneth

1) EPIC CANNOT GIVE YOU PRICE COMPETITION! THE MARKETPLACES DO NOT OWN PRICING, THE PUBLISHERS DO. Bolding, so hopefully people read it, but neither Valve nor Epic control pricing.

2) Epic is not reducing options, nor choice. The truth is, you've only ever had one option and no choices. Steam has been your only choice for nearly every game. Seriously, look through your library and see how many are available without Steam. You'll probably find less than 20% available elsewhere (at least when they launched.)

3) PRICES ARE NOT BEING "INFLATED LONGER." Again, pricing is controlled by the publisher. It will be change every bit as often as pricing had been changed before Epic, when that game was solely on Steam. The number of marketplaces has no impact on pricing, because, again, it isn't the marketplace picking prices, but the publisher, meaning they have one pricing strategy across every single marketplace.

As you have posted everywhere else, so it must be true.

1) This is 100% false. As part of these exclusive deals, combined with the lower selling charge, Epic can request the publisher to have slightly lower prices. They can even lower the selling charge as part of the deal. If the store becomes big enough they can even use refusal to list games as a negotiation tactic.

2) While I agree on not reducing choices, I do not agree on Steam being the only other choice right now. *Looks at his GOG library with many games that released on Steam the same day* It could be argued that Epic is fragmenting the market too much, but as they support other publishers, and most other stores do not, I don't agree with the fragmentation view.

3) Marketing 101, for hundreds of years limited time exclusives have been proven to keep the original price of goods up for an extended period of time. While this will not help Epic, it can help the publishers if they are willing to sacrifice initial sales and are confident that they have a good product.

85. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 4, 2019, 11:51 Beamer

Creston wrote on Apr 4, 2019, 11:25:

Kinda funny how Tim Sweeney keeps saying then that the prices are going to drop, isn't it? He admits it's in the hands of the developers (lol, as if the poor dev gets a say in it), but that they WILL drop. Okay, Tim. I'm sure the publisher shareholders are totally cool with just giving money back to customers for no reason.

The EGS will keep doing this bullshit until their Fortnite money dries up, and then it'll just go away. Steam is just counting on that being sooner rather than later.

He's making an assumption of trickle-down. And it's not entirely unreasonable. From what I understand, a UE4-powered game on Steam requires 35% of its retail sales to be paid into licensing/marketplace. On Epic, that's 12%. A monster difference. I fully get why he thinks these savings will trickle down.

However, I use "trickle down" deliberately, because I don't think publishers will happily relinquish price points.

-------------

84. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 4, 2019, 11:25 Creston

Kinda funny how Tim Sweeney keeps saying then that the prices are going to drop, isn't it? He admits it's in the hands of the developers (lol, as if the poor dev gets a say in it), but that they WILL drop. Okay, Tim. I'm sure the publisher shareholders are totally cool with just giving money back to customers for no reason.

The EGS will keep doing this bullshit until their Fortnite money dries up, and then it'll just go away. Steam is just counting on that being sooner rather than later.

83. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 4, 2019, 11:19 Kain

Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Apr 4, 2019, 10:56:
Poor security in the client? What does that even mean? As for all the features steam has, guess what is coming down the pipe... Yep monthly recurring fees, Xbox and PlayStation already went in that direction.. Why wouldn't steam. the cloud isn't free, and you're going to need to pay.

I didn't even mention Steam, I don't know why you are bringing it up. EGS doesn't even have feature parity with uPlay, let alone Steam. Steam has been free since its inception and you provide no basis or links for your opinion so I'm discarding it out of hand until you can do so.

Poor security means the dozens of emails from Epic saying my account has been locked due to "suspicious activity". An account that uses 2FA and a unique generated password that has been changed multiple times. Epics support department is probably the worst I've ever had to deal with as well. And again I'm not like a security nut or something, its just yet another factor in their frankly awful market offering.

Maybe other people are all about weird loyalty shit to these things but I am not. I just want decent features, their security not to be a dumpster fire and good prices on games. So far they have yet to provide those things. Saying I can only get Borderlands 3 there for 6 months does not sway me.

82. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 4, 2019, 10:56 Riahderymnmaddog

Kain wrote on Apr 4, 2019, 08:56:
The bottom line for me is that right now Epic has a shitty client so I don't really want to use it. It's objectively a piece of shit - poor security and a complete lack of even basic features. They can sign as many deals as they want to but I'm not going to use it until they improve it. So far they haven't managed to land a whale game that makes me want to install this thing again.

Good pricing and features are what gets me to install these sorts of things. They aren't meeting me halfway so /shrug

Poor security in the client? What does that even mean? As for all the features steam has, guess what is coming down the pipe... Yep monthly recurring fees, Xbox and PlayStation already went in that direction.. Why wouldn't steam. the cloud isn't free, and you're going to need to pay.

81. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 4, 2019, 10:18 Beamer

VaranDragon wrote on Apr 4, 2019, 10:13:

But it didn't have GMG and the like.
Epic does have CD Keys. Again, Humble Bundle sells Epic Store products. Green Man Gaming doesn't today. I'd give it, I dunno, 6 months, tops?

-------------

80. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 4, 2019, 10:13 VaranDragon

79. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 4, 2019, 08:56 Kain

The bottom line for me is that right now Epic has a shitty client so I don't really want to use it. It's objectively a piece of shit - poor security and a complete lack of even basic features. They can sign as many deals as they want to but I'm not going to use it until they improve it. So far they haven't managed to land a whale game that makes me want to install this thing again.

Good pricing and features are what gets me to install these sorts of things. They aren't meeting me halfway so /shrug

78. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 4, 2019, 08:16 Beamer

PHJF wrote on Apr 4, 2019, 07:21:

Just because a game is exclusively on Steam doesn't mean I have to buy the game on Steam (because it is often cheaper not to). Granted I have zero experience with Epic but I doubt GMG sells "Epic keys".

Yet, they don't sell them yet. Epic has been clear it wants to get there. In fact, in order to grow, it needs to get there. Physical boxes are still a thing, meaning CD-Keys are still a thing. It isn't as if Steam had this day one, and likewise, Epic doesn't. I'd be shocked if it isn't one of the quicker features to surface.

Epic Keys are already sold on Humble Bundle (as of two weeks ago.) They'll begin appearing elsewhere.

-------------

77. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 4, 2019, 07:21 PHJF

Just because a game is exclusively on Steam doesn't mean I have to buy the game on Steam (because it is often cheaper not to). Granted I have zero experience with Epic but I doubt GMG sells "Epic keys".

Steam + PSN: PHJF

76. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 4, 2019, 07:00 Beamer

FloorPie wrote on Apr 4, 2019, 05:28:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 4, 2019, 03:45:
  • Beamer wrote on Apr 3, 2019, 17:37:
    Desalus wrote on Apr 3, 2019, 17:32:
    If you play console games you should be used to this. PlayStation has exclusives. Xbox has exclusives. Nintendo has exclusives. Even on PC... Steam has exclusives. Origin has exclusives. Now Epic has exclusives.

I don't see any other way for Epic to compete with the monopoly of Steam besides doing what they are doing.

That's not even comparable. If you wanted an Xbox exclusive, you had to pay $300 to buy an Xbox. With this, you have to... download an installer from someone else.

I get that it's annoying, and that it doesn't offer immediate consumer benefit, but at the same time, the anger seems so disproportionate for something that literally requires nothing more than going to a different website.

People complain that Steam is a monopoly, then they complain that Epic is trying to do something about that.

Except that Epic is not offering up real competition. Where is price competition? With their exclusive deals they are reducing options. Ubisoft has killed off 3rd party key sellers with their new games going Epic and Uplay only.

Long term, maybe more devs/pubs make more money andproduce better games/more content but in the short term, gamers/customers lose out by prices being inflated for longer.

-------------

75. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 4, 2019, 06:55 Beamer

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Apr 3, 2019, 23:42:
    RedEye9 wrote on Apr 3, 2019, 14:47:
    Beamer wrote on Apr 3, 2019, 14:37:
    Cutter wrote on Apr 3, 2019, 13:24:
    I hope all these assholes with their exclusives are losing tons of sales.

"So don't buy the fucking product. Problem solved. Their house their rules. God, I'm so sick of whiny little fucks like Cutter."

Context, btw. In case I'm not the only one tired of the endless hypocrisy.
    I think you meant this.
    Two triablists backing each other up, and labeling anyone that doesn't agree to their PoV as being alt-right, neo-nazis, and/or evil. Funny how years ago, you were both stating and arguing against this exact thing. Oh the irony and hypocrisy.

Dude, you're not even on topic, you're making up terms, and no one is more consistently hateful and resentful in his views than you. Humanity apologizes for your feelings of inadequacy, bit it's odd to solidify those emotions into blameful political views.

-------------

74. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 4, 2019, 05:28 FloorPie

jdreyer wrote on Apr 4, 2019, 03:45:
  • Beamer wrote on Apr 3, 2019, 17:37:
    Desalus wrote on Apr 3, 2019, 17:32:
    If you play console games you should be used to this. PlayStation has exclusives. Xbox has exclusives. Nintendo has exclusives. Even on PC... Steam has exclusives. Origin has exclusives. Now Epic has exclusives.

I don't see any other way for Epic to compete with the monopoly of Steam besides doing what they are doing.

That's not even comparable. If you wanted an Xbox exclusive, you had to pay $300 to buy an Xbox. With this, you have to... download an installer from someone else.

I get that it's annoying, and that it doesn't offer immediate consumer benefit, but at the same time, the anger seems so disproportionate for something that literally requires nothing more than going to a different website.

People complain that Steam is a monopoly, then they complain that Epic is trying to do something about that.

Except that Epic is not offering up real competition. Where is price competition? With their exclusive deals they are reducing options. Ubisoft has killed off 3rd party key sellers with their new games going Epic and Uplay only.

Long term, maybe more devs/pubs make more money andproduce better games/more content but in the short term, gamers/customers lose out by prices being inflated for longer.

73. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 4, 2019, 03:51 jdreyer

bingus wrote on Apr 4, 2019, 01:19:
    Epic store? Hard pass.

U R so Laim dood.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

92 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo