Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September

2K Games and Gearbox Software confirm a recent rumor with the announcement of a September 13th release date for Borderlands 3, also confirming speculation that the PC edition of the shooter sequel will be exclusive to the Epic Games Store until a year from now. The Xbox Wire has a write-up on the game and an Official Announce Trailer, and the game's listing on the Microsoft Store suggests Windows and Xbox One cross-platform support, showing "cross-platform co-op" as one of the game's capabilities. The press release includes box art and a couple of screenshots, but this is still fairly preliminary, as more revelations are planned for next month: "For more details on the story, characters, gear, and everything else youíll find in Borderlands 3, tune in on May 1 for the extended Gameplay Reveal Event livestream." There are plans for four different editions with escalating perks: A Standard Edition ($59.99 USD), a Deluxe Edition with bonus digital content ($79.99 USD), a Super Deluxe Edition with a Season Pass ($99.99 USD, or $119.99 after September 17th), and a Diamond Loot Chest Collector's Edition with all the preceding bonuses and a bunch of physical goodies ($249.99 USD). Here's word on their partnerships with the Epic Games Store and AMD:

PC Gaming on Steroids in Collaboration with AMD and the Epic Games store:
Developed from the ground up with AMD, Borderlands 3 will take full advantage of the most powerful PC hardware available, and is optimized for top performance and incredible gaming experiences on AMD Radeonô graphics cards and Ryzenô CPUs.

At launch on September 13, Borderlands 3 will be available for PC exclusively through the Epic Games store. Borderlands 3 will be available on additional PC digital storefronts in April 2020.

ďThe PC gaming community has been an important part of the success of the Borderlands series, and we are excited to be partnering with Epic who recognize its worldwide popularity and share in our commitment to bring Borderlands 3 to this rapidly expanding audience,Ē said Ismailer. ďOur mission, in addition to delivering the most engaging and captivating entertainment experiences, is to embrace new distribution platforms that will contribute to our effort to grow the audience for Borderlands 3

View
92 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

32. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 3, 2019, 13:59 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, looks colorful, but doesn't look like any serious improvement/iteration over Borderlands 1/2. I'll put it on the Steam/Gog bargain sale list.

I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop, ie. Timed bosses(once a week), terrible drop rates for 'good' guns, etc. all of the anti-player fun choices that were in vanilla Borderlands 2.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 3, 2019, 13:54 jdreyer

I'm not opposed to the Epic store, but I tend to wait for GOTY editions anyway, so I may not pick this up right away.  

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

30. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 3, 2019, 13:52 Creston

Alamar wrote on Apr 3, 2019, 13:25:
Gotta wonder though... Are any of the Steam, UPlay, Blizzard, Bethesda, or Origin exclusives timed? The XB/PS ones often are, and others often aren't, but that's kind of unrelated given development can be significantly different between those devices.

Maybe people have an easier time ignoring, or justifying non-timed exclusives...

Or, you know, people have other issues with the Epic store, such as that it has literally zero features, has essentially zero security and has absolutely zero support. If you buy something from Epic and it doesn't work, hey fuck you. Go find help somewhere else. There are stories of people who had problems with their purchase of Metro Exodus, and never got a reply from Epic when they asked for help.

So that's great. Buy games there and pray it goes right, because if it goes wrong, well, sucks to be you!

Seems like a wonderful place to sink your money into. Also seems like a great thing to encourage. Publishers can't fucking WAIT to stop offering ANY support for their products and fire all their support staff, and then if you have issues, fuck you, sucks to be you. And people are throwing money at them in droves to show "That's totally fine! We'll be happy to accept that!"

I would rather just not support that kind of behavior with any money, but to each their own.

For all how shit Origin and Uplay are as clients, their support is top notch. Anytime I've had an issue, they fixed it within a few hours to a day, tops. To me it's important to know that there's an actual support structure behind a place I give money to. YMMV :-shrug-:

29. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 3, 2019, 13:47 JTW

*shrug*

I'm getting it anyway. For my whole family.

And yes, exclusives are anti-consumer. So what? Not every single decision every company makes needs to be pro-consumer. As long as the long-term trend is positive, companies that want to stay in business sometimes have to make decisions that are pro-profit. That's reality, not the hippy marketplace some people seem to want.

28. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 3, 2019, 13:25 Alamar

Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Apr 3, 2019, 10:46:
Epic store exclusive! That's bullshit. I only buy exclusives from Steam, Ubisoft, Blizzard, Microsoft, Bethesda, Origin, and Playstation.

I WILL NEVER ACCEPT EPIC STORE!

This is beautiful ; )

Gotta wonder though... Are any of the Steam, UPlay, Blizzard, Bethesda, or Origin exclusives timed? The XB/PS ones often are, and others often aren't, but that's kind of unrelated given development can be significantly different between those devices.

Maybe people have an easier time ignoring, or justifying non-timed exclusives...

27. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 3, 2019, 13:24 Cutter

I hope all these assholes with their exclusives are losing tons of sales.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

26. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 3, 2019, 13:19 Parallax Abstraction

I don't mind waiting 6 months. I have more games in my backlog than I can possibly to get to anyway.

I'm not an "I don't want multiple launchers" type. I have Origin, GOG, Uplay, Windows Store and probably some others too. However, the Epic Store is feature barren compared to even its weaker competitors and seems to have another major security issue every second week. When they get feature competitive and sort out their security, I will happily use them. Not until then and not for games based on bribed exclusivity that they chose to spend their massive warchest on instead of launching a competitive product.

Parallax Abstraction
Podcast | YouTube | Mixer

25. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 3, 2019, 13:13 PHJF

Borderlands 2 while mostly iterative was at least steps forward in several regards:

1) Locations were highly varied

2) Narrative was delivered well (BL1 had none)

3) The engine was better

This, on the other hand, looks like the ONLY change in seven years of downtime has been new player classes... which amounts to peanuts considering the only difference between classes has and probably will be minuscule statistical variations and the SINGULAR class active ability.

I mean I loved BL2 because I'm a sucker for loot-driven games, but this is not at all what I want or expect from another sequel, let alone one this late in coming.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

24. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 3, 2019, 13:08 Simon Says

HoSpanky wrote on Apr 3, 2019, 12:36:
Simon Says wrote on Apr 3, 2019, 12:15:
Epic store exclusive! That's bullshit. I only buy exclusives from Steam, Ubisoft, Blizzard, Microsoft, Bethesda, Origin, and Playstation.

That's a nice strawman you got there... it would be a shame if anyone... pointed it out! OOPS!

How is that a strawman? While Epicís store is indeed woefully barebones, having exclusives isnít even sort of a new thing. Every one of those launchers/systems have exclusives. Unlike those, however, Epicís exclusives have an expiration date.

The strawman you painted, and the one I pointed out, was of the people who protest.

I don't dispute the facts of exclusives on other platforms.

As for the analogy you tried here, it's deeply flawed. Steam got popular through 1st party titles, same for the other platforms you listed here that grew beyond their first party titles ( if any other than PS, which isn't a PC platform ).

Epic's practices are different, they weren't happy with just their 1st party titles and went on to bribe publishers to get exclusives.

Does Steam do this? Does GoG?

You see, it's one thing to have 3rd exclusives once you're well established, it's another thing to use 3rd exclusives to strongarm your way to being well established ( if it works ).

I get what they're trying to accomplish, if it's really their goal and not just bullshit cause what they really want is a piece of the pie, with the "noble" part just being an accidental bonus. And even if it works, I won't soon forget they went all Machiavellian "the ends justify any means" to get there. And I'll still favor fairer platforms ( especially GoG ).

Eventually, if and when they change their practices, I may change my mind. I won't condemn them, anyone can change their ways, choose to act differently, but itm, I do judge them for their current choices and actions, and for good reasons.

So yeah... Strawman about the people protesting + flawed analogy in 2 sentences. Pretty good density of logical fallacies in that comment.

23. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 3, 2019, 13:04 Hanneth

I never accepted the Ubusoft, Blizzard, Microsoft, Bethesda, or Origin stores and will not accept the Epic store either!
I have some of those crappy launchers installed to get the free games, but will not buy from them.

Sure, that means no Sims 4 for me, but in the end it's just a game and there are so many other games.

22. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 3, 2019, 12:41 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 3, 2019, 12:10:
eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 3, 2019, 11:56:
Honestly never cared for Borderlands 3 so whatever.
What brand time-machine do you use? Does it have heated leather seats.

It's plated in unicorn horns, pink bikinis and a lot of German beer. ^^

That said, this above trailer looks like BL1 and like BL2.. played one, played them all.

21. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 3, 2019, 12:36 HoSpanky

Simon Says wrote on Apr 3, 2019, 12:15:

That's a nice strawman you got there... it would be a shame if anyone... pointed it out! OOPS!

How is that a strawman? While Epicís store is indeed woefully barebones, having exclusives isnít even sort of a new thing. Every one of those launchers/systems have exclusives. Unlike those, however, Epicís exclusives have an expiration date.

20. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 3, 2019, 12:15 Simon Says

19. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 3, 2019, 12:10 RedEye9

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 3, 2019, 11:56:
Honestly never cared for Borderlands 3 so whatever.
What brand time-machine do you use? Does it have heated leather seats.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

18. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 3, 2019, 11:56 eRe4s3r

Honestly never cared for Borderlands 3 so whatever. Gearbox hasn't made a good game since BL1  

17. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 3, 2019, 11:54 El Pit

Creston wrote on Apr 3, 2019, 11:01:
Man, look at all these savings being passed back to the Tencent shareholders and that wonderful country behind the Great Wall on the wonderful Epic store. So many benefits to the democratic Chinese government. Rolleyes

Edit: Zpelling.

I heard it is different for US customers, but the European prices on Epic are EXACTLY the same price as the Steam prices... So why should I support them? Nope.

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

16. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 3, 2019, 11:54 RedEye9

+1

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

15. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 3, 2019, 11:51 El Pit

I can't wait to... wait until I get the GOTY edition for just a few $$$.  
They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

14. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 3, 2019, 11:39 aka_STEVE

Yep, I can wait. By then it will be all patched up ,DLC'ed out and ready for GOTY edition elsewhere for probably lower $$$

13. Re: Borderlands 3 on Epic Games Store in September Apr 3, 2019, 11:13 Primalchrome

Whelp...the just lost three sales and a season pass on release day. Looks like I'll be waiting 6-12 months for a Steam release....or maybe another few until it hits the bargain bin. Frustrating as hell, because I really love Borderlands.

And before people start in with the puerile accusations :
- I don't want *another* launcher.
- Exclusivity is anti consumer.
- Epic's support is abysmal.
- Tencent.
- Steam has a feature rich client (that admittedly needs an overhaul).....Epic has a friends list.
- Valve develops a variety of projects that push forward PCGaming....Epic leverages an engine solely for profit.

92 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo