Op Ed

Polygon - Bioware, the press is not your enemy.
"Management more or less has to do something to improve the conditions under which it makes games, or else talent will become even harder to find and retain. Who wants to work themselves to death making a game that doesn’t deliver on its original creative goals? A game that is met with disappointment?

Kotaku’s piece — and reporting like it — absolutely helps to make gaming a better place. It’s the reliance on crunch and dysfunctional management on the part of companies like BioWare that hinder the long-term success of the big budget games industry. And, as BioWare has shown, this development strategy doesn’t always lead to good games.

Which means everyone loses."

View : : :
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Op Ed
Apr 3, 2019, 16:59
Re: Op Ed Apr 3, 2019, 16:59
Apr 3, 2019, 16:59

Beamer wrote on Apr 3, 2019, 16:43:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Apr 3, 2019, 16:31:
Beamer wrote on Apr 3, 2019, 15:58:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Apr 3, 2019, 15:26:
Clickbait rags like Polygon, Waypoint and Kotaku (save these occasional investigative pieces) are the enemy of gamers and the elements of the industry they choose to put in their crosshairs (which usually isn't the AAA ones for some totally inexplicable reason.) What is now laughably called the "enthusiast press" seems to somehow have found a way to be profitable by hating their audience.

When did you go all alt-right? I don't feel like you used to be this way, but "hating their audience?"

If you think disliking Polygon et al. and the endless moral grandstanding and lecturing that they consider games coverage makes me alt-right, you really need to understand what being alt-right truly means. Not agreeing with the methodology of these ultra-left sites does not suddenly make someone alt-right. My views are actually quite progressive on most issues (and I can send you a video example to demonstrate them, not that I really have to justify myself to someone who judges my entire character based on two sentences) but the types of coverage those sites provide is a parody of progressive views, because moral lectures and attacking anyone they disagree with is sadly, very profitable. Outrage is now a business model and it's fed by the likes of sites like that.

I think "hating their audience" is a GamerGate/Alt-Right slogan. And really not true. Show me an article that has them hating their audience. I don't think you can. Perhaps they hate you, if you're the type to run around calling everyone the F word or whines about female characters, but then again, if you do that, you're not their audience.

Much of this comes back to "gamers" feeling like they're the audience of all things games, which isn't true, is ludicrously entitled, and is where half these issues come from in the first place (it amazes me how many people think review-bombing something is smarter than saying "well, I guess that's made for someone other than me.")

The mental gymnastics in this are quite impressive. For starters, "hating your audience" isn't a slogan, it's a phrase. If you're assigning that to a particular group or movement's views based on me using it, you're wrong. Gamergate didn't have a slogan as far as I know, ot that I was a part of that trainwreck. Given that you're the one who leapt to "you disagree with me and therefore you're alt-right", I'm not inclined to go through websites I generally refuse to read, giving them clicks trying to find an example that you'll just pick apart to justify invalidating anyway. You've clearly made up your mind already and well, this ridiculous rush to judgement of a person's character based on a disagreeing opinion is pretty much exactly the problem I was calling out to begin with.

I don't go around calling everyone anything obscene (though apparently you're not above associating people with white nationalists for disagreeing with you, maybe think about that) and I actually think quality female characters in games are awesome. But I also don't like web sites that associate me with the alt-right because I believe that people like Zoe Quinn are frauds, (something that's been factually demonstrated multiple times, look up her Chuck Tingle Kickstarter for a recent example) or that it's hypocritical for so-called journalists who scream because some female characters aren't covered up enough for them, to then pass around the Hot Ryu meme or talk about how hot Kratos was in the new God of War. Or how Polygon constantly likes to write articles about poor representation of minorities in games, when the majority of their staff are white as snow. Or how Variety thinks playing The Division 2 for less time than it takes to complete half of the campaign and then writing a 2,000 word political lecture that borders on the unintelligible, is somehow a "review."

You're right, myself and the many like me are not their audience. Maybe that's why these sites are dying a slow death. Personally, I think expecting the wider gaming audience to be the way they envision they should be and judging and attacking entire swaths of people based on very little of substance, is extremely entitled myself.

But again, you've already made up your mind and it's frankly sad that you've judged me as alt-right without knowing anything about me, the progressive causes I support and all the money I've raised for a charity that the games press actually quite likes, because I dared to say in two sentences, that they are not serving the wider gaming audience well.

EDIT: Guess some people don't like getting called out on their own BS.

This comment was edited on Apr 4, 2019, 11:52.
Parallax Abstraction
Podcast | YouTube | Twitch

Apr 3, 2019, 16:56
Cutter

Re: Op Ed Apr 3, 2019, 16:56
Apr 3, 2019, 16:56
 Cutter

If Bleu never linked another Polygon/Verge/Kotaku/Boing Boing article that would be a great thing.
Morty: You sold a gun to a murderer so you could play video games?
Rick: Yeah, sure, I mean, if you spend all day shuffling words around, you can make anything sound bad, Morty.

Apr 3, 2019, 16:43
Beamer

Re: Op Ed Apr 3, 2019, 16:43
Apr 3, 2019, 16:43
 Beamer

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Apr 3, 2019, 16:31:
Clickbait rags like Polygon, Waypoint and Kotaku (save these occasional investigative pieces) are the enemy of gamers and the elements of the industry they choose to put in their crosshairs (which usually isn't the AAA ones for some totally inexplicable reason.) What is now laughably called the "enthusiast press" seems to somehow have found a way to be profitable by hating their audience.

When did you go all alt-right? I don't feel like you used to be this way, but "hating their audience?"

If you think disliking Polygon et al. and the endless moral grandstanding and lecturing that they consider games coverage makes me alt-right, you really need to understand what being alt-right truly means. Not agreeing with the methodology of these ultra-left sites does not suddenly make someone alt-right. My views are actually quite progressive on most issues (and I can send you a video example to demonstrate them, not that I really have to justify myself to someone who judges my entire character based on two sentences) but the types of coverage those sites provide is a parody of progressive views, because moral lectures and attacking anyone they disagree with is sadly, very profitable. Outrage is now a business model and it's fed by the likes of sites like that.

I think "hating their audience" is a GamerGate/Alt-Right slogan. And really not true. Show me an article that has them hating their audience. I don't think you can. Perhaps they hate you, if you're the type to run around calling everyone the F word or whines about female characters, but then again, if you do that, you're not their audience.

Much of this comes back to "gamers" feeling like they're the audience of all things games, which isn't true, is ludicrously entitled, and is where half these issues come from in the first place (it amazes me how many people think review-bombing something is smarter than saying "well, I guess that's made for someone other than me.")

Apr 3, 2019, 16:31
Re: Op Ed Apr 3, 2019, 16:31
Apr 3, 2019, 16:31

Parallax Abstraction

Apr 3, 2019, 15:58
Beamer

Re: Op Ed Apr 3, 2019, 15:58
Apr 3, 2019, 15:58
 Beamer

Apr 3, 2019, 15:26
Re: Op Ed Apr 3, 2019, 15:26
Apr 3, 2019, 15:26

Parallax Abstraction

Apr 3, 2019, 13:52
Re: Op Ed Apr 3, 2019, 13:52
Apr 3, 2019, 13:52

No, the press is not your enemy, despite the fact that we're going to reprint the basics of someone else's hitpiece in order to try and profit off of outrage at your studio.

Granted, Bioware is garbage now. So, honestly, I say, "Let them fight!"

Apr 3, 2019, 11:38
Re: Op Ed Apr 3, 2019, 11:38
Apr 3, 2019, 11:38

LOL. How can I get a 1500 word article out in an hour? Quote an article from another publication, quote twitter, and make bland common sense statements. Then slap on a clickbait title that is an obvious lie.

Apr 3, 2019, 10:34
Re: Op Ed Apr 3, 2019, 10:34
Apr 3, 2019, 10:34

This is the closest Polygon has come to actually dissing a developer or publisher I've ever seen. Not that they ACTUALLY do so, (and EA is not even mentioned once in the entire piece) it's all "maybe" and "you should maybe" and "the press is not the problem" all the while parroting the piece from Kotaku without contributing a single fucking thing to the discussion or making any kind of statement other than it's bad to overwork your employees. Well, duh.

Fucking polygon. Even when they're not shilling they are kind of shilling.
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older