Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Randy Pitchford on Borderlands 3 and Exclusivity

News yesterday of a deleted tweet that teased a September 13th release date and Epic Games Store exclusivity for Borderlands 3 had us wary enough about being pranked to list it in an April Fool's roundup. Now a few updates on Randy Pitchford's Twitter feed suggest that there may be some actual fire causing this smoke. The Gearbox boss doesn't confirm or deny the story, and this tweet, and this one, and this one seem to claim ignorance of 2K's intentions, but there's a lot of hedging in there. Here's word:

2K/Take Two has exclusive publishing rights for Borderlands 3 and makes all decisions regarding price-points, territories, distribution and platform partnerships. Please direct all inquiries regarding any of those topics to 2K. We are *just* the talent. 1/3

As a customer, Im happy to shop in different stores - already do! Ive bought games from Xbox, Playstation, Switch, Steam, Origin, GOG, Humble, Uplay, Epic and other stores. To me, exclusives are fine when they come w/ advantages and when they are short say, six months :) 2/3

For what its worth, 2Ks decisions aside, myself and the team at Gearbox have a very keen interest in cross-platform play. We believe multi-platform support is a pre-requisite and Epics leadership with cross platform support is helpful to our interests there. 3/3

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Randy Pitchford on Borderlands 3 and Exclusivity Apr 6, 2019, 18:40 eRe4s3r

MEH. I buy first party games happily where they are but I buy 3rd party games on Steam and ONLY there. Or if they are on GoG, then there because FCKDRM (but I am not a radical about that)

I dunno how other people with lots of games handle their libraries but that's how I roll.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Randy Pitchford on Borderlands 3 and Exclusivity Apr 5, 2019, 08:27 Steviepunk

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 3, 2019, 12:05:
Steviepunk wrote on Apr 3, 2019, 08:44:

Having multiple viable game platforms is good for competition
However the Epic Store can't become viable if publishers don't use it to sell their games, and publishers won't use it if the customers are not using it, and customers won't use it if it doesn't sell many games.
If Epic just setup a store and left everyone to sort things out themselves, then the store would fail, the only way to break the cycle and build an audience to make sure the publishers are using it. In this case it means that they can use the crazy amount of money they make from Fortnite to break that cycle.

The store exclusive deals might be causing issues just now, but in the longer term once the Epic Store has built up a significant enough audience to make it worthwhile for publishers to put their games on it without any additional financial incentive, at that point both Epic and Steam will then have to compete on merit and as customers we should have better service from both of them as a result.

A well thought-out post. Hopefully your common sense and infallable logic doesn't fall on deaf ears.

This is the internet we are talking about here.... but if it's going to happen anywhere then Blues is a better bet than most

20. Re: Randy Pitchford on Borderlands 3 and Exclusivity Apr 3, 2019, 14:16 jdreyer

Simon Says wrote on Apr 3, 2019, 12:13:
RedEye9 wrote on Apr 3, 2019, 12:05:
Frijoles wrote on Apr 2, 2019, 21:49:
Competition is good for consumers.

Which this isn't. Who is Epic competing against when they have an exclusive? They don't want to compete with Steam because they fall very short. So instead they bribe publishers.

However the Epic Store can't become viable if publishers don't use it to sell their games, and publishers won't use it if the customers are not using it, and customers won't use it if it doesn't sell many games.
If Epic just setup a store and left everyone to sort things out themselves, then the store would fail, the only way to break the cycle and build an audience to make sure the publishers are using it. In this case it means that they can use the crazy amount of money they make from Fortnite to break that cycle.

The store exclusive deals might be causing issues just now, but in the longer term once the Epic Store has built up a significant enough audience to make it worthwhile for publishers to put their games on it without any additional financial incentive, at that point both Epic and Steam will then have to compete on merit and as customers we should have better service from both of them as a result.

A well thought-out post. Hopefully your common sense and infallable logic doesn't fall on deaf ears.

It doesn't fall on deaf ears, but I'm not a fan of "the ends justify any means". They want to play the Machiavellian game? NP, I can play that one, with my free personal copy, same as any other exclusive they shit out.

I'll play fair when they play fair, itm, fuck'em.

"They're selling my favorite serial at Walmart, but not at Target. Fck 'em! I'm not eating that cereal anymore until it's at Target!!1"

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

19. Re: Randy Pitchford on Borderlands 3 and Exclusivity Apr 3, 2019, 14:14 jdreyer

bigspender wrote on Apr 2, 2019, 19:07:
But different sites / stores doesn't seem like an issue to me. Either way I'm double clicking an icon. The launcher is different....so what?

Epic's services are shit compared to Steam. Users who had problems with Metro had to go to the Steam forums to get help. I'm sure they'll get better, but they're not yet. If only Epic had some competition.

Which this isn't. Who is Epic competing against when they have an exclusive? They don't want to compete with Steam because they fall very short. So instead they bribe publishers.

I hate what Epic is doing. If they want to compete directly with Steam and sell games on both services, there'd be no problem. I'd welcome some competition to Steam to get Valve off their ass and improve things. Not like this though.

Epic needs differentiation to gain market share. This is a common tactic in free market systems. If Epic doesn't do this, it never gets a store that will be able to offer an alternative to Steam.

Also, Steviepunk said it better than I.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

18. removed Apr 3, 2019, 12:13 Simon Says

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Apr 3, 2019, 14:44.

17. Re: Randy Pitchford on Borderlands 3 and Exclusivity Apr 3, 2019, 12:05 RedEye9

If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.

16. Re: Randy Pitchford on Borderlands 3 and Exclusivity Apr 3, 2019, 08:44 Steviepunk

15. Re: Randy Pitchford on Borderlands 3 and Exclusivity Apr 2, 2019, 21:49 Frijoles

bigspender wrote on Apr 2, 2019, 19:07:
But different sites / stores doesn't seem like an issue to me. Either way I'm double clicking an icon. The launcher is different....so what?

Epic's services are shit compared to Steam. Users who had problems with Metro had to go to the Steam forums to get help. I'm sure they'll get better, but they're not yet. If only Epic had some competition.

I hate what Epic is doing. If they want to compete directly with Steam and sell games on both services, there'd be no problem. I'd welcome some competition to Steam to get Valve off their ass and improve things. Not like this though.

14. Re: Randy Pitchford on Borderlands 3 and Exclusivity Apr 2, 2019, 20:40 Alamar

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 2, 2019, 18:39:
Kxmode wrote on Apr 2, 2019, 15:24:
The game looks like it needs about another year in the oven so no loss.

How do you conclude this?

I just hope he stood up before pulling it out...

Regarding the Epic Exclusivity... What's a huge non-issue...

13. Re: Randy Pitchford on Borderlands 3 and Exclusivity Apr 2, 2019, 19:07 bigspender

Console/OS platform exclusives suck.

It's not like I have to buy a console to play....

12. Re: Randy Pitchford on Borderlands 3 and Exclusivity Apr 2, 2019, 18:39 HorrorScope

Kxmode wrote on Apr 2, 2019, 15:24:
The game looks like it needs about another year in the oven so no loss.

How do you conclude this?

11. Re: Randy Pitchford on Borderlands 3 and Exclusivity Apr 2, 2019, 17:12 jdreyer

chickenboo wrote on Apr 2, 2019, 12:49:
"To me, exclusives are fine when they come w/ advantages and when they are short say, six months :)"
literally the only advantage is the cool $2,000,000+ in the publisher's pocket, up front, and then the +18% revenue compared to selling on other platforms. what's the advantage to the consumer? maybe a lower price point. that's about it.
$2M? I think you are off by an order of magnitude. To put it another way, you're missing a zero.

10. Re: Randy Pitchford on Borderlands 3 and Exclusivity Apr 2, 2019, 17:10 jdreyer

Eirikrautha wrote on Apr 2, 2019, 11:21:
So I'll wait...

With a BL game, it's always worth waiting for a GOTY edition, because much of the DLC is so good.

9. Re: Randy Pitchford on Borderlands 3 and Exclusivity Apr 2, 2019, 15:25 Kxmode

Eirikrautha wrote on Apr 2, 2019, 11:21:
So, basically, yes they are. All Pitchford is doing is saying, "Please don't blame me for this! I'm out-of-the-loop. It's not my fault! I love all stores equally! Please don't hit me again!"

Or "Please don't grab your Pitchfords!"

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

8. Re: Randy Pitchford on Borderlands 3 and Exclusivity Apr 2, 2019, 15:24 Kxmode

The game looks like it needs about another year in the oven so no loss. Let the people dropping money early beta test for the top-notch GOYT edition with all the fixins to come later.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

7. Re: Randy Pitchford on Borderlands 3 and Exclusivity Apr 2, 2019, 14:46 Rilcon

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 2, 2019, 13:21:
This just makes me wonder how shitty the co-op experience is going to be, since I assume they won't be using Steamworks for online functionality anymore if the game gonna be exclusive to Epic... They can barely be bothered to keep up with ensuring their own Fortnite Save the World operates without massive lag, connection issues, and random server-side data loss.
Lag, connection issues, and server connection loss are unrelated to the friends network (except for a catastrophic platform issue). Steamworks and Epic's platform help with friends, server browser, and some analytics, but after that it's all dependant on the actual game, and you'd be seeing the same issues regardless of which platform the game is on if the game itself is busted; Fortnite's stability issues (if it indeed has them, never played) would still be there if the game were on Steam.

6. Re: Randy Pitchford on Borderlands 3 and Exclusivity Apr 2, 2019, 13:21 jacobvandy

This just makes me wonder how shitty the co-op experience is going to be, since I assume they won't be using Steamworks for online functionality anymore if the game gonna be exclusive to Epic... They can barely be bothered to keep up with ensuring their own Fortnite Save the World operates without massive lag, connection issues, and random server-side data loss.  

5. Re: Randy Pitchford on Borderlands 3 and Exclusivity Apr 2, 2019, 12:49 chickenboo

"To me, exclusives are fine when they come w/ advantages and when they are short say, six months :)"
literally the only advantage is the cool $2,000,000+ in the publisher's pocket, up front, and then the +18% revenue compared to selling on other platforms. what's the advantage to the consumer? maybe a lower price point. that's about it.

at least epic said they'll start making third party key sales a thing so we can buy from GMG or Wingamestore or something, that will introduce sale competition.

i'm still not installing their storefront and buying games from them though, and my backlog is just as massive as everyone else's. last night i downloaded the Alien Vendetta Doom megawad, playing that with Brutal Doom is a blast and quite challenging!

4. Re: Randy Pitchford on Borderlands 3 and Exclusivity Apr 2, 2019, 12:24 HoSpanky

While I have the Epic store, and have bought a game on there (Satisfactory), Im not exactly enamored with it. Im interested in BL3, but not nearly as much as Satisfactory. I can wait for it to show up on Steam.
Just trying to gift a friend a copy of Satisfactory is enough to find that the Epic store is lacking some pretty basic features. I have no doubt theyll have them in place within a year or so, but in the meantime, theyre going to have to accept getting one single purchase out of me.

3. Re: Randy Pitchford on Borderlands 3 and Exclusivity Apr 2, 2019, 12:05 El Pit

EPItChford has spoken!  
They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo