Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Valve Teases Index VR Headset

A post on Steam has a tease from Valve of Valve Index, which looks like a new virtual reality headset. There's not much more than an image of the HMD, but we should know more soon enough, as the caption reads: "Upgrade your experience. May 2019."

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Valve Teases Index VR Headset May 6, 2019, 01:23 Ant

El Pit wrote on Mar 30, 2019, 04:37:
Here's how Valve could make me interested in a VR headset: "Half-Life (2 Episode) 3 - Best Played With Our New VR Headset".
Portal 3 too.

Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Valve Teases Index VR Headset Mar 30, 2019, 16:25 Luke

HL2 ep 3 HL 3 incoming  

9. Re: Valve Teases Index VR Headset Mar 30, 2019, 14:06 HorrorScope

HoSpanky wrote on Mar 30, 2019, 10:23:
It’s certainly lost momentum, as investors are clearly SHOCKED to discover that most people won’t pay $1500+ (if starting from zero) for an amazing technological breakthrough.

Oculus Quest will probably do wonders here.

8. Re: Valve Teases Index VR Headset Mar 30, 2019, 12:59 Nucas

theglaze wrote on Mar 30, 2019, 12:53:
VR continues to gather momentum in simulators! I just took a BMW Z4 GT3 for a practice session around Road Atlanta circuit, lots of fun. Then there's the industrial/commercial market which is where a lot of growth has been, pushing the technology because money is less of an issue.

so its kind of like tablets, a dead consumer market but commercial applications?

7. Re: Valve Teases Index VR Headset Mar 30, 2019, 12:53 theglaze

HoSpanky wrote on Mar 30, 2019, 10:23:
Bumpy wrote on Mar 30, 2019, 09:27:
I thought the VR fad died last year.

It’s certainly lost momentum, as investors are clearly SHOCKED to discover that most people won’t pay $1500+ (if starting from zero) for an amazing technological breakthrough. Especially since game makers have been reluctant to put resources into pmaking anything resembling a killer app. The closest thing we have was literally a launch title made by one guy, and while he’s supposedly working on an expansion/sequel, SOMEHOW no one’s bothered trying to make a better looking clone of it (Vanishing Realms).
Yes, Beat Saber is pretty good, but it has ONE music type and now that they’re selling DLC, they’re working harder on making it difficult for people to make and distribute their own beatmaps for other genres. If someone would invest in making a LONG puzzle adventure for it, it’d help a bit but likely wouldn’t be a system seller. Obduction doesn’t count; the devs didn’t put proper motion controls in and it has severe performance issues.
VR is unfortunately stuck in the “amazing potential” zone. Someone will figure out a control scheme and game style that feels amazing and absolutely can’t be replicated on a flatscreen, and embed it into a fantastic game, and THAT will get people’s attention. Just not their money. Income inequality is constantly getting worse, and the people assuming the price isn’t too much are people who’ve never had to live on minimum wage.

VR continues to gather momentum in simulators! I just took a BMW Z4 GT3 for a practice session around Road Atlanta circuit, lots of fun. Then there's the industrial/commercial market which is where a lot of growth has been, pushing the technology because money is less of an issue.

6. Re: Valve Teases Index VR Headset Mar 30, 2019, 12:29 edaciousx

El Pit wrote on Mar 30, 2019, 04:37:
Here's how Valve could make me interested in a VR headset: "Half-Life (2 Episode) 3 - Best Played With Our New VR Headset".

Will Half Life Origins (HJLVR) get you excited instead of HL2 Ep 3?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBFnoVr0_ck

5. Re: Valve Teases Index VR Headset Mar 30, 2019, 12:29 heroin

I wouldn't even say it's a "fad" - it's difficult to go back and play games on a normal monitor. A great example of this is something like GNOG, which can be played in 2d on a regular monitor but comes to absolute LSD vision in VR. However, GNOG is also a great example of why VR controls are not ready for primetime. For now, I am happy to have non-VR contoller/"made for VR" 2D games converted to VR like Polybius, or Rez Infinite. Or SUPERHYPERCUBE which all have very simple controls and are very simple games.

One of the reasons VR probably hasn't been a resounding success is all about obtuse design, stop designing games like I want to be standing up and active (I don't!), I want to sit in my fucking chair and I don't want the camera axis to display this fact when I boot up a game and have to fiddle with .ini files to correct it. Stop designing room-scale only without locomotion programmed into it, can't stand the teleporting controls or worse games that don't have either. If you're creating a puzzle game maybe make it easier for people to access youtube inside the headset, or in the very least make sure people can alt-tab the game instead of quitting.

4. Re: Valve Teases Index VR Headset Mar 30, 2019, 10:23 HoSpanky

Bumpy wrote on Mar 30, 2019, 09:27:

It’s certainly lost momentum, as investors are clearly SHOCKED to discover that most people won’t pay $1500+ (if starting from zero) for an amazing technological breakthrough. Especially since game makers have been reluctant to put resources into pmaking anything resembling a killer app. The closest thing we have was literally a launch title made by one guy, and while he’s supposedly working on an expansion/sequel, SOMEHOW no one’s bothered trying to make a better looking clone of it (Vanishing Realms).
Yes, Beat Saber is pretty good, but it has ONE music type and now that they’re selling DLC, they’re working harder on making it difficult for people to make and distribute their own beatmaps for other genres. If someone would invest in making a LONG puzzle adventure for it, it’d help a bit but likely wouldn’t be a system seller. Obduction doesn’t count; the devs didn’t put proper motion controls in and it has severe performance issues.
VR is unfortunately stuck in the “amazing potential” zone. Someone will figure out a control scheme and game style that feels amazing and absolutely can’t be replicated on a flatscreen, and embed it into a fantastic game, and THAT will get people’s attention. Just not their money. Income inequality is constantly getting worse, and the people assuming the price isn’t too much are people who’ve never had to live on minimum wage.

3. Re: Valve Teases Index VR Headset Mar 30, 2019, 09:27 Bumpy

2. Re: Valve Teases Index VR Headset Mar 30, 2019, 09:22 HoSpanky

Oh shit, finally!
I was all Meh about the new Oculus headset, this thing will hopefully ACTUALLY be an upgrade to the gen1 headsets.

1. Re: Valve Teases Index VR Headset Mar 30, 2019, 04:37 El Pit

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo