Assassin's Creed III Remastered Released

Ubisoft announces that Assassin's Creed III Remastered is now available for Windows, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4. This offers the chance to return to the 18th century by way of 2012 with an updated version of this installment in the stealth/action series that includes the game and all its DLC in remastered 4K/HDR glory. You can pick up a copy of this through the Ubisoft Store and get a look at the improvements to the game in this trailer. Here's word on the release, which says a version of this for the Switch is expected in May:
Today, Ubisoft announced that Assassin’s Creed® III Remastered, including Assassin’s Creed® Liberation Remastered, is now available on the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system, the Xbox One family of devices including Xbox One X, and Windows PC. Additionally, all solo DLCs from the original game will be included: Benedict Arnold Missions, Hidden Secrets and Tyranny of King Washington.

Developed by Ubisoft Barcelona, Assassin’s Creed® III Remastered features single-player content in 4K and HDR on PlayStation®4 Pro, Xbox One X and Windows PC. The vision was to bring this classic game to match the quality of the current Assassin’s Creed games by taking advantage of newer technology. With increased model improvements and Physically-Based Rendering (PBR), Assassin’s Creed III Remastered displays more visually accurate images using real world light and material properties that make the world feel more alive.

Experience the Assassin’s Creed universe on the eve of the American Revolution and play as Connor, the warrior son of a Native American mother and British father. As the bloody revolution draws near, your clan is threatened by a powerful group seeking to crush the American Revolution and control the thirteen colonies. After the devastation of your village, you pledge your life to preserve freedom. Unleash your deadly skills in a decades-long quest that will take you from the chaotic city streets to blood-soaked battlefields in the hostile American wilderness and beyond. Explore colonial Boston, New York, the frontier and various epic naval missions, meeting legendary American heroes as you conspire to annihilate all those who threaten Liberty.

Assassin’s Creed III Remastered includes Assassin’s Creed Liberation Remastered, which tells the unforgettable journey that takes Aveline from the crowded streets of New Orleans to voodoo-haunted swamps and ancient Mayan ruins. Assassin’s Creed III Remastered is available for $39.99 or as part of the Assassin’s Creed® Odyssey Season Pass. Additionally, Assassin’s Creed III Remastered will be available on the Nintendo Switch™ system starting May 21.

View : : :
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Assassin's Creed III Remastered Released
Mar 31, 2019, 12:23
Re: Assassin's Creed III Remastered Released Mar 31, 2019, 12:23
Mar 31, 2019, 12:23

After playing Odyssey, I couldn’t go back to the old style. I just love stealthing in this game! The satisfaction that you get when you take out a leader is second to none. And what gets the adrenaline pumping is when you’ve planned out your attack and then you hear a bounter hunter getting closer. Damn!

Mar 30, 2019, 09:36
Re: Assassin's Creed III Remastered Released Mar 30, 2019, 09:36
Mar 30, 2019, 09:36

KilgoreTrout wrote on Mar 29, 2019, 17:37:
Out of sincere curiosity, having never played any AC at all, which iteration do you consider the best? Is it possible to fully enjoy the later installations without having played the earlier ones?

Black Flag is a fun game but it's really not much of an AC game. The few parts that are "AC" in formula just suck - instant fail missions, tailing and etc. The ship stuff is great but its frankly just a very different game from the others.

Odyssey is actually the best entry in the series in my opinion. Kassandra is well voice acted, it has a good storyline and the gameplay systems mesh in a way that Origins did not, particularly the mercenary system. AC2 with Ezio would be a close second but that game overstays its welcome and has some drudgery fueled nightmares in some of the main story line missions.

Unfortunately all of the AC games overstay their welcome. You'll be 40 hours in and either still learning gameplay mechanics or they will still be setting up basic story stuff. I also think that Ubisoft needs an entirely new writing team for both these and the Far Cry games. Most of the time the story succeeds due to outstanding performance by the VAs, not because of the actual writing. The tie ins to the modern storyline have become fewer and fewer which is great but they just need to disappear altogether. As a framing device they suck and they wasted any potential of it with the godawful AC3.

Mar 30, 2019, 07:28
Re: Assassin's Creed III Remastered Released Mar 30, 2019, 07:28
Mar 30, 2019, 07:28

Thanks for all your detailed input. I will keep it in mind when the next Steam sale comes around!

Mar 29, 2019, 23:14
Re: Assassin's Creed III Remastered Released Mar 29, 2019, 23:14
Mar 29, 2019, 23:14

Out of sincere curiosity, having never played any AC at all, which iteration do you consider the best? Is it possible to fully enjoy the later installations without having played the earlier ones?

Assassin's Creed III marks the end of the Desmond Miles current day story line and anything after that is standalone so you can definitely play Black Flag, Rogue, Unity, Syndicate, Origins and Odyssey without having ever played any previous AC game in whatever order you prefer.

The original games, however, build upon each other with regard to the Desmond Miles plot so it would be wise to play them in order, i.e. AC, AC2, Brohood, Revelations, AC3.
If you want to experience the series from the beginning you can play through these classic games rather quickly by just following the main story missions. Most of the games can easily be finished in 15 to 20 hours.

My personal ranking (having played and finished all of the ACs up to Unity) would be:

1) Black Flag
2) AC2
3) Rogue
4) Revelations
5) Brohood
6) Unity
7) AC3
8) AC

Mar 29, 2019, 21:15
Kxmode

Re: Assassin's Creed III Remastered Released Mar 29, 2019, 21:15
Mar 29, 2019, 21:15
 Kxmode

See my comment below.

One thing I did not explicitly state that I think would answer your question of where to start is AC tells three distinct stories in parallel.

1. The modern-day tale of the Assassins versus the Templars. Both groups have very similar aims but polar opposite viewpoints. Assassins believe in order through free-will and choice, while the Templars believe in order through subjugation and power.

2. Within the framework of the AVT feud is the Animus device. A piece of technology created by the Templars capable of letting the user relive of memories of past bloodlines. Typically from Assassins. In all of the games, except Rogue, the Assassins are typically the "good" guys and the Templars (and variations of their order depending on the game) are the "bad" guys. With the help of Animus the Assassins race around the would looking for objects of power. That leads into the next point.

3. A race of beings called the Isu lived on earth long before humanity. Having vast power and fierce intelligence, they possessed enough know-how to create humans. They represent the "gods" of myth in many cultures with the names of many known Isu even appearing in legend like Juno, Minerva, and Jupiter. However, within the Isu civilization - much like the Assassins and Templars - an ideological schism formed about how they should treat their new creation. One side desired full control believing humanity to be a flaw species in need of tyrannical guidance, while the other wanted to give humans full autonomy and freedom to find their own way. That conflict of ideas led to war until the war itself caused the Isu to vanish. However, the Isu left behind a plethora of powerful relics that both the Assassins and Templars call "Pieces of Eden" in a vast network of vaults all over the world (the game hasn't explain what the game's lore behind "Eden" is). Both Assassins and Templars seek these objects. The Templars desire to use them to control the world, while the Assassins try to prevent that from happening. You'll see in the game evidence of Isu individuals behind specific vaults having made a choice to support one idea or the other and that the decision is how "Pieces of Eden" generally end up in the hands of Assassins or Templars. This would suggest the species had the power to predict the future (which would be ironic given their predicament).

So that sets up the overarching plot between AC1 - Odyssey. As for how the games are set up. Most come in trilogies or quadrilogies.

1. AC1, AC2, Brotherhood, and Revelations make up the Altaïr/Ezio/Desmond Miles quadrilogy.
2. AC3, Black Flag, and Rogue is the Kenway trilogy (Worth noting the beginning of Unity picks up where Rogue leaves off, but there is no story connection to the Kenway legacy)
3. Unity and Syndicate are separate stand-alone entries and can be played alone.
4. Origins and Odyssey are part of the Layla Hassan story arc. Likely the next game will be the final story completing the trilogy.

That should provide more insight to get you started somewhere.

On a personal note, the AC series is everything I want in a video game. It has equal parts exploration, adventure, action, mystery, story, memorable locations, alternate history, conspiracies, sci-fi elements and more. It is all the fun fictional things I like to get lost in.

This comment was edited on Mar 30, 2019, 06:10.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Mar 29, 2019, 20:52
Kxmode

Re: Assassin's Creed III Remastered Released Mar 29, 2019, 20:52
Mar 29, 2019, 20:52
 Kxmode

Kain wrote on Mar 29, 2019, 15:34:
$40 to play the shittiest game in the series, yeeeeaaahhhh I'm gonna have to take a pass on that one.

Actually, I'm going to disagree with you on that. Having playing EVERY main game in the series to completion, I have enough knowledge of each to provide an accurate rank, or that is to say a rank that's backed up with reasons.

1. Origins
2. Odyssey
3. Black Flag
4. Syndicate
5. Brotherhood
6. Revelations
7. AC1
8. AC3
9. AC2
10. Rogue
11. Unity

Reasons:
#1 - As large, open-world games go this one is flawless. I cannot remember a time when the game ever crashed. On my old potato computer, and then my 4K60 beast Origins ran well demonstrating a ton of optimization and polish the devs put into it. The story was awesome. The setting was amazing. The introducing of a branching system that hid the various Order of the Ancient's members behind clues was a refreshing addition. Even the modern day story of the Templar scientist experimenting with an Aminus device that did not need family blood to relive memories is a nice plot pivot (it opens up a lot of possibilities where the story can go). On the rare occasion when I felt like cheating the game did not crash. I used the cheat's travel-to-map-marker towards the end of the game when I wanted to get to story points faster.

#2 - Odyssey and Origins in my opinion as almost tied. Environment, story, everything about it is engaging. The highlight is Kassandra. She is probably my favorite AC character from any of the games and is a much better protagonist than Origin's Bayek. However, the reason Odyssey is ranked second has to do with its game-breaking bugs under certain situations. Given the scale and size of the world, which, I believe is much larger than Origin's Ancient Egypt, I wanted to traverse and get all the waypoints quickly. To achieve that goal I used a cheat by the same people who created the Origins cheat. It had travel-to-waypoint. However, in Odyssey using it resulted in random quest-giving NPCs dying all over the world en masse. Here's an example of one I stumbled upon while gallivanting around Athens. https://i.imgur.com/puLI1fN.jpg It wouldn't be a big issue save for the fact that many Cultist members can only be found after completing a series of side quests. I filed a ticket with Ubisoft, and even they couldn't figure out why random quest NPCs died. So after sinking 85 hours in, I was forced to restart. I recently completed the game and have 250 hours logged, which is more than any other AC game. However, if you subtract the 85 hours I already put in the real number is 165. A lot of time for sure, but less compared to Origin's 216 hours from one continuous play through with no restarts.

#3 Fantastic setting, engaging story, PIRATE SHIP mechanics! IMHO the pirate ship stuff is hands down the best gameplay in the entire AC series and only slightly more fun than naval combat in Odyssey. My favorite part is the weather and the wash. When the weather is violent, you can "feel" it in how the ship handles. When the waves comes crashing down hard on the deck, it splashes and hits everything. If memory serves I remember losing one or two deckhands to that.

#4 - A vast improvement over Unity's clunky controls and "Pay 2 Win" cash grab. As a single entry into the series, it introduced an intriguing gameplay mechanic of alternating between twins Jacob and Evie Frye. Overall it is an excellent romp through Victorian-era London. I like how many landmarks are explorable like Buckingham Palace and Parliament. My favorite was climbing to the top of Big Ben and diving off. That was a VERY satisfying 10-15 second fall. I thought the Jack the Ripper DLC was very creative and creepy to boot.

#5 - Loved the Roman Renaissance! It was handled quite well in this chapter. I was most impressed by, given the time this game came out, with how big and sprawling the locations had become compared to the first game's city-only environments like Jerusalem. I believe this is the first game in the series to go open world.

#6 - This one takes top prize for one of the best cliffhangers! It is fantastic, especially if the story hooks you in! As a bonus, it provided a lot of closure to AC1's Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad.

#7 - Good start to the series and enough worry from UbiSoft for them to issue that opening disclaimer that would appear in every AC since until it eventually mutated into an SJW manifesto. Case in point:

old https://i.imgur.com/H6S3o48.jpg
new https://i.imgur.com/fq2hvmn.jpg

#8 - Reiterating from an earlier comment, AC3 is a good story. Haytham is a memorable character. The setting in historical America is quite engaging especially given you meet many famous people like George Washington, Ben Franklin and so forth. You'll visit colonial-era landmark cities like New York and experience several notable events such as the Battle of Bunker Hill. With the 4K and refined gameplay mechanics sounds like this will AC3 an even better game.

#9 - It is unplayable on Windows. Ubisoft never bothered to the change the UI references to keyboard/mouse, so you're utterly confused trying to figure out the most basic moves. After several hours of frustration, I gave up and watched an entire play-through on Youtube. It is ninth because even though the console port sucks the game itself has an engaging story that ends on a satisfying cliffhanger.

#10 - A low-quality reskin of Black Flag with no attention to detail (e.g., when the pirate ship rides over big waves and crashes down there's no wash upon the deck as there is in Black Flag. Rains never hit the ship's deck, which is especially weird during a storm.) The only redeeming quality of Rogue is the story lets you join the dark side and fight for the Templars against Assassins from AC3.

#11 - Unity remains the worse in the series. Not because it doesn't looks impressive (it's amazing), but the controls. Oh, my goodness, do they suck! Worse than AC2. I am performing what I believe to be a "walk over and enter drain hole entrance" and instead Arno skips all over it and then randomly tosses a smoke bomb to attract every local soliders because, you know, stealthiness. These bizarre mechanics require constantly aiming Arno where to go. All past AC games used a kind of "fuzzy logic" to determine where to go, and it worked 95% of the time. Unity created many sighing and rage-inducing moments. Of all the AC games, Unity had the most checkpoint restarts. I believe one mission alone required about ~35 restarts. I would not have minded this, but some tasks (especial the final) took a few hours to complete. A jarring issue is Ubisoft's removal of two necessary mechanics: whistling and always-on eagle vision. Without those UbiSoft did not make Unity harder, they just made it more annoying. It was the only game in the series I rushed through so that I could check it off the list. Worse than all that are required quest specific items that were gated behind the cash shop. Oh sure you could grind the required 50K gold or you could pony up $15. I was having none of that! I used to a cheat to instantly give myself 200K gold and moved on. That crap was so bad Ubisoft never introduced that in any AC game since. Cash shops now only carry non-essential cosmetic and vanities. Anyhow, Unity is the absolute worse game in the series.

This comment was edited on Mar 29, 2019, 22:01.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Mar 29, 2019, 18:13
Re: Assassin's Creed III Remastered Released Mar 29, 2019, 18:13
Mar 29, 2019, 18:13

Burrito of Peace wrote on Mar 29, 2019, 18:05:
Also, Kenway is the best main character of the entire series.

To me, Ezio is still the best by far. And I honestly thought Bayek was REALLY good.

Mar 29, 2019, 18:12
Re: Assassin's Creed III Remastered Released Mar 29, 2019, 18:12
Mar 29, 2019, 18:12

Yeah, the overarching story is pants anyways, so you don't miss anything.

Black Flag is great (but because of the piratey bits, not because of the assassin bits, because those are not very good). AC2 & Brotherhood are great. I REALLY enjoyed Origins, and apparently Odyssey is Origins ++.

Skip 1, Skip AC2 revelations, Skip 3, Skip Unity and the London one, those are just not very good.

Mar 29, 2019, 18:05
Re: Assassin's Creed III Remastered Released Mar 29, 2019, 18:05
Mar 29, 2019, 18:05

Black Flag, no contest. While I enjoyed Origins (because I'm an egyptology nerd) it got to a point where it was too cluttered with far too many little and inconsequential things to do. Odyssey exacerbated that.

Black Flag was, in my opinion, where everything gelled in just the right amounts. Also, Kenway is the best main character of the entire series.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net .

Mar 29, 2019, 17:43
Re: Assassin's Creed III Remastered Released Mar 29, 2019, 17:43
Mar 29, 2019, 17:43

Wake me if they remaster 2 & Brohood or Black Flag.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Mar 29, 2019, 17:37
Re: Assassin's Creed III Remastered Released Mar 29, 2019, 17:37
Mar 29, 2019, 17:37

Mar 29, 2019, 15:34
Re: Assassin's Creed III Remastered Released Mar 29, 2019, 15:34
Mar 29, 2019, 15:34

$40 to play the shittiest game in the series, yeeeeaaahhhh I'm gonna have to take a pass on that one.

Mar 29, 2019, 14:54
Re: Assassin's Creed III Remastered Released Mar 29, 2019, 14:54
Mar 29, 2019, 14:54

aka_STEVE wrote on Mar 29, 2019, 11:04:
$40

LOL. They are smoking some industrial grade crack at Ubisoft.

Mar 29, 2019, 14:44
Kxmode

Re: Assassin's Creed III Remastered Released Mar 29, 2019, 14:44
Mar 29, 2019, 14:44
 Kxmode

Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Mar 29, 2019, 13:25:
Kxmode wrote on Mar 29, 2019, 12:43:
Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Mar 29, 2019, 12:09:
Not available on steam!!!! No thank you. I refuse to buy anything that is an exclusive. this is a PC not a Playstation!!!

EA, Blizzard, Ubisoft tend to put their games on their launchers. Been like that since 2011. We're suppose to get angry about third-party publisher exclusives on Epic Games Store.

Good god, I have having a hard time keeping up on what exactly I need to be outraged by.

Enrage. Never Crusaderage! (I just made up that! Like it?)

Mar 29, 2019, 14:27
Re: Assassin's Creed III Remastered Released Mar 29, 2019, 14:27
Mar 29, 2019, 14:27

$40 for this alone must be some kind of joke, considering that's the same price for the AC Odyssey season pass which this is included with... I guess they really just want to make you feel like you're getting a great deal when they slash the price by half in a few weeks.

Mar 29, 2019, 13:29
Re: Assassin's Creed III Remastered Released Mar 29, 2019, 13:29
Mar 29, 2019, 13:29

Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Mar 29, 2019, 13:25:
Not available on steam!!!! No thank you. I refuse to buy anything that is an exclusive. this is a PC not a Playstation!!!

EA, Blizzard, Ubisoft tend to put their games on their launchers. Been like that since 2011. We're suppose to get angry about third-party publisher exclusives on Epic Games Store.

Good god, I have having a hard time keeping up on what exactly I need to be outraged by.
No worries, just follow some posters here and you will be kept up to date with the latest in faux outrage and hollow victories.
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Mar 29, 2019, 13:25
Re: Assassin's Creed III Remastered Released Mar 29, 2019, 13:25
Mar 29, 2019, 13:25

Mar 29, 2019, 13:16
Re: Assassin's Creed III Remastered Released Mar 29, 2019, 13:16
Mar 29, 2019, 13:16

not sure if serious
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Mar 29, 2019, 12:43
Kxmode

Re: Assassin's Creed III Remastered Released Mar 29, 2019, 12:43
Mar 29, 2019, 12:43
 Kxmode

Mar 29, 2019, 12:41
Kxmode

Re: Assassin's Creed III Remastered Released Mar 29, 2019, 12:41
Mar 29, 2019, 12:41
 Kxmode

aka_STEVE wrote on Mar 29, 2019, 11:04:
$40

Was it worth fourty even when brand new release...?

Am I missing the part where previous owners get this for free ? - as a sorry for purchasing it when it originally came out.

Yes. Very much so. I liked the story. The setting in historical America is very cool especially given you meet many famous individuals like George Washington, Ben Franklin and so forth. You also get to visit colonial era famous cities like New York. You also get to experience many famous events like the Battle of Bunker Hill. The 4K and refined gameplay mechanics sounds like it will make the game even better.

That said, Black Flag is by far the best of the Kenway trilogy. I am confused why Ubisoft choose this one of the three. A Black Flag remaster would've been gold. They could have also taken advantage of the interest in pirate themed games since so many of them pretty much ripped off the pirate ship mechanics from Black Flag.

TL;DR - If you haven't played then absolutely it is worth the price.
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older