Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

Complete Game of Thrones Recap: Every Episode in 12 Minutes is a handy aide with Season 8 set to kick off in just under three weeks. This seems pretty helpful, as 70 episodes is a pretty rough homework assignment for a television series. And I already have one of those on my plate, albeit a shorter one, as the Deadwood movie is due at the end of May. It's been far longer since I watched the original series and I am determined to re-watch it before then. Sadly the show only lasted three seasons, but on the bright side this means I only have 36 episodes of that to plow through to get into the groove.

R.I.P.: Agnès Varda Dead: Acclaimed French Director Was 90.

Groovy Links: Thanks Ant.
Links: Restaurants You Didn't Know Changed Their Names.
Stories: Zack Snyder confirms that the Justice League Snyder cut is real and "done."
Why Pedestrian Deaths Are At A 30-Year High. Thanks RedEye9.
Garfield phones beach mystery finally solved after 35 years. Thanks Slashdot.
Science: NASA’s Hubble spotted an asteroid spinning so fast it’s self-destructing.
NASA proves its space helicopter can fly on Mars. You had me at space helicopter.
Why the sexes don’t feel pain the same way. Thanks Simon.
Media: The Most Dangerous Dams. Damn!
Hail From Hell. Damn!
Hidden Camera Catches Cat Comforting Anxious Dog While Family's Away. Who's a good kitty?
Follow-up: Kentucky Governor Misguides on Chickenpox. Thanks RedEye9.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 31, 2019, 15:34 Steele Johnson

“Why Pedestrian Deaths Are At A 30-Year High.”

You don’t even have to click on the link to know that answer.

"The hardest thing to do is to be true to yourself, especially when everybody is watching." - Dave Chappelle
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 31, 2019, 10:26 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 30, 2019, 11:05:
Anyone seen Gumbo?
heh he, my small town newspaper misprint
Ah, the glory of auto-correct...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 31, 2019, 02:09 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 30, 2019, 11:05:
Anyone seen Gumbo?

Sounds like a JUMBO movie.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 30, 2019, 11:05 RedEye9

Anyone seen Gumbo?

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

13. Re: GOT Mar 29, 2019, 22:59 Kxmode

afka Rossini wrote on Mar 29, 2019, 22:24:
MisterBenn wrote on Mar 29, 2019, 13:17:
I will definitely watch that GOT video today. I accidentally made the mistake of missing the first 7 seasons when they first came out, then 3 months ago I binged 10 minute YouTube videos wildly out of order. Really not ideal, but when it first came out the episode I saw made a bad impression... the sex/violence/dialogue seemed pretty gratuitous and I didn't realise back then how good the casting and scheming was.

I'm now onboard to watch 8 in real time at least. Did I hear right that the entire wrap up is 5 or 6 episodes? That barely seems like enough time to do more than just let the characters complete their respective arcs.
It's six episodes this season. Some of them will be up to 80 minutes long.

Episode 1 = 54 minutes
Episode 2 = 58 minutes
Episode 3 = 60 minutes
Episode 4 = 78 minutes
Episode 5 = 80 minutes
Episode 6 = 80 minutes

source

For context, 50 minutes was the average episode length for seasons 1-7. Probably more like 40 minutes for me with all the PG-13 filters.

This comment was edited on Mar 30, 2019, 06:15.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

12. Re: GOT Mar 29, 2019, 22:24 afka Rossini

MisterBenn wrote on Mar 29, 2019, 13:17:
I will definitely watch that GOT video today. I accidentally made the mistake of missing the first 7 seasons when they first came out, then 3 months ago I binged 10 minute YouTube videos wildly out of order. Really not ideal, but when it first came out the episode I saw made a bad impression... the sex/violence/dialogue seemed pretty gratuitous and I didn't realise back then how good the casting and scheming was.

I'm now onboard to watch 8 in real time at least. Did I hear right that the entire wrap up is 5 or 6 episodes? That barely seems like enough time to do more than just let the characters complete their respective arcs.
It's six episodes this season. Some of them will be up to 80 minutes long.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2019, 19:38 Kxmode

Cutter wrote on Mar 29, 2019, 18:07:
If it's on a pedestrian because their face was buried in their phone I have zero sympathy - and their estate/family should be on the hook for damages. Too bad so sad. Welcome to Darwinville, baby. If it's on a driver, off to prison they should go. The only way this shit ever begins to end is when jail time and a lot of money is involved.

People do stupid things, yes. But it's always sad to hear of such a tragic accident. I think the only thing worse that falling for 8 seconds to certain death is being on a ship that's slowly sinking. I bet the 2 hours and 40 minutes on the Titanic for those who held out as long as they could was the ABSOLUTE WORST; knowing you'll be gone and having a long time to think about it. At least the person died instantly upon impact in seconds.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2019, 18:07 Cutter

If it's on a pedestrian because their face was buried in their phone I have zero sympathy - and their estate/family should be on the hook for damages. Too bad so sad. Welcome to Darwinville, baby. If it's on a driver, off to prison they should go. The only way this shit ever begins to end is when jail time and a lot of money is involved.

And Blue, groove is in the heart.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2019, 17:32 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 29, 2019, 11:57:
the dam video is a keeper

This is a dam keeper.

8. Re: JetX Next Month Mar 29, 2019, 17:29 Kxmode

At least one person committed "selficide" when they ventured too close to the edge of a 1,000 ft drop in the Grand Canyons. I looked up the math and he was alive for about 8 second. I wonder what his last words were?

selficide = death by selfie

This comment was edited on Mar 29, 2019, 17:54.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2019, 14:40 MoreLuckThanSkill

jdreyer wrote on Mar 29, 2019, 13:41:
After a spate of pedestrian deaths, my city enacted a bunch of laws:
- no looking at your phone while sitting in the front seat with the engine on (my friend's son got a ticket looking at his phone at a red light)
- No eating or drinking in the front seats of the car
- Drivers must wait until the crosswalk is clear before turning (a rule that is routinely ignored. A guy cut me off so closely I punched his window. I was happy to see cops ticketing folks for this yesterday at one of our major intersections)
- Pedestrians can't enter a crosswalk if it's already flashing red
- Jaywalking fines have doubled.
- Pedestrians can't look at their phone while in a crosswalk.

Despite these measures, pedestrian deaths continue to rise. Although I believe enforcement could be increased, the police do in fact enforce these laws regularly. They're not just for show.

Our robot driver overlords can't come soon enough.

Well, robotr drivers will help, but nothing is going to stop the physics of a 5000+ pound vehicle moving at 50mph before it hits some idiot crossing the street without looking, whether he/she has headphones on or is looking at their phone or whatever other distraction is there. Cars/trucks/buses are the most dangerous things anybody is going to interact with on a daily basis, yet I see people just run out into the street all the time, let alone drive around without looking to see if the other guy ACTUALLY stopped, etc.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2019, 13:41 jdreyer

After a spate of pedestrian deaths, my city enacted a bunch of laws:
- no looking at your phone while sitting in the front seat with the engine on (my friend's son got a ticket looking at his phone at a red light)
- No eating or drinking in the front seats of the car
- Drivers must wait until the crosswalk is clear before turning (a rule that is routinely ignored. A guy cut me off so closely I punched his window. I was happy to see cops ticketing folks for this yesterday at one of our major intersections)
- Pedestrians can't enter a crosswalk if it's already flashing red
- Jaywalking fines have doubled.
- Pedestrians can't look at their phone while in a crosswalk.

Despite these measures, pedestrian deaths continue to rise. Although I believe enforcement could be increased, the police do in fact enforce these laws regularly. They're not just for show.

Our robot driver overlords can't come soon enough.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2019, 13:32 RedEye9

Beamer wrote on Mar 29, 2019, 13:18:
That dog video doesn't seem right to me:

1) How many cameras do these people have? Far too many cameras, and camera angles, for one week

2) Either they have about 6 identical couches, or these are different days shown as single days, as the blanket on it keeps changing despite being "Tuesday."
I've seen anxious pups and this one was never anxious. So many questions. I want my money back.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2019, 13:18 Beamer

That dog video doesn't seem right to me:

1) How many cameras do these people have? Far too many cameras, and camera angles, for one week

2) Either they have about 6 identical couches, or these are different days shown as single days, as the blanket on it keeps changing despite being "Tuesday."

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

3. GOT Mar 29, 2019, 13:17 MisterBenn

2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2019, 12:53 HoSpanky

The pedestrian deaths article is exactly what you’d expect to find...people can’t resist looking at their phones or doing something, ANYTHING other than looking at where the fuck they’re going. Both drivers and pedestrians are at fault for this.

As much as I believe we need privacy on our devices, I also think they absolutely need to tattle on us a bit. It needs to be very easy for law enforcement to find out if someone was using a program that needed eyes on it (anything other than hands-free voice usage) when an accident occurred. Making it illegal to be doing so isn’t enough; we need proof people are doing it and we need the devices to BE the proof. These officers don’t need to know the contents of what the person was doing, just whether or not what they were doing was a distraction. This information needs to be obtainable against the perpetrator’s wishes, because no one is going to say “sure, see what I was doing at the time I ran this guy over”. It’s no longer a “privacy!” thing when injury or murder is involved.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2019, 11:57 RedEye9

the dam video is a keeper

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo