Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

FromSoftware and George R.R. Martin RPG Rumor

GamesRadar+ points the way to this SpawnWave YouTube video which discusses the recent report that FromSoftware has two unannounced video games in development. Specifically, this speculates that one these is an RPG being written by Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire author George R.R. Martin. They state up front that this is a rumor, and make it sound like they don't necessarily believe it themselves, but it certainly makes sense that Martin would be looking for something to occupy all his free time. There's a lot of conjecture about gameplay details for an "open-world Souls game" but not much of an explanation of what fuels the belief Martin is involved other than to say it's a rumor, and that this sounds crazy.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: FromSoftware and George R.R. Martin RPG Rumor Mar 30, 2019, 09:02 Kain

WaltC wrote on Mar 28, 2019, 16:53:
King's books have been horrible for the last several years--I mean, all he writes is psycho-crap these days, like watching reruns of "Jason's Hockey Mask Lives!" over and over again...;) I've pretty much lost complete interest in anything King writes these days. In my twenties I liked his Gothic-themed horror stuff pretty much but I think that said more about me than it did him at the time...! King is a sad case, imo.

Could not disagree more. King is prolific so he's bound to have stuff that's hit or miss. Some of his best books have been in the past 10 years along with a few of his worst. His work is very different from before the accident and rehab but it's still very high quality overall.

I think the real hidden nuggets are in his short stories. Man is a master of fitting mountains of character development into small page counts.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: FromSoftware and George R.R. Martin RPG Rumor Mar 29, 2019, 06:38 VaranDragon

WaltC wrote on Mar 28, 2019, 16:53:
mch wrote on Mar 28, 2019, 15:53:
NKD wrote on Mar 28, 2019, 15:07:
Stephen King IMO. He actually knows how to ship books in a reasonable period of time, and some of them are actually pretty good.

Stephen King to finish ASOIAF ... when he can't write a decent ending to save his fuckin life.

King's books have been horrible for the last several years--I mean, all he writes is psycho-crap these days, like watching reruns of "Jason's Hockey Mask Lives!" over and over again...;) I've pretty much lost complete interest in anything King writes these days. In my twenties I liked his Gothic-themed horror stuff pretty much but I think that said more about me than it did him at the time...! King is a sad case, imo.

Well thats like your opinion man.

King was always hit and miss. His best stuff has none, or very few supernatural elements anyway.

As for Ice and Fire. If Martin doesn't write it, I won't read it.

22. Re: FromSoftware and George R.R. Martin RPG Rumor Mar 28, 2019, 19:59 Kxmode

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Mar 28, 2019, 12:20:
This fat old idiot is going to ruin his legacy by not finishing the books.

What a fucking idiot.

Unlike that Witcher 3 author who saw video games as utter trash, it sounds like Martin is embracing it as smart business decision.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

21. Re: FromSoftware and George R.R. Martin RPG Rumor Mar 28, 2019, 19:56 Kxmode

How many developers are going to die in the making of this "Game?"  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

20. Re: FromSoftware and George R.R. Martin RPG Rumor Mar 28, 2019, 16:53 WaltC

mch wrote on Mar 28, 2019, 15:53:
Stephen King IMO. He actually knows how to ship books in a reasonable period of time, and some of them are actually pretty good.

Stephen King to finish ASOIAF ... when he can't write a decent ending to save his fuckin life.

It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)

19. Re: FromSoftware and George R.R. Martin RPG Rumor Mar 28, 2019, 15:57 RedEye9

OMG NO!
The first thing he would do is write himself into the series as a person who time traveled there from an inter-dimensional portal inside the Castle Rock GreyHound Bus Station which connects with a bordello in Westeros.

Martin should turn the series over to Valve Software, they've got a proven track record of finishing things in a timely manner.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

18. Re: FromSoftware and George R.R. Martin RPG Rumor Mar 28, 2019, 15:53 mch

17. Re: FromSoftware and George R.R. Martin RPG Rumor Mar 28, 2019, 15:29 [SC]TherMight

mag wrote on Mar 28, 2019, 15:09:

Oh yeah, Rothfuss is great at finishing series.

HAHA touche!

16. Re: FromSoftware and George R.R. Martin RPG Rumor Mar 28, 2019, 15:09 mag

afka Rossini wrote on Mar 28, 2019, 14:51:
Kain wrote on Mar 28, 2019, 14:41:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Mar 28, 2019, 13:51:
GRMM should just hand over everything to Scalzi and let him finish it. At least we wouldn't have a type of dinnerware mentioned fifty million times in one book.

Ugh no thanks. Scalzi has no hand for characterization, wooden and every character has the same "voice". Old Man's War was decent but I haven't liked anything he's written since and hes certainly no one to fill Martin's shoes. I don't begrudge him his success but he writes like a Whedon script fetishist.

Joe Abercrombie doesn't have the same stylistic prose as Martin but he definitely shares his penchant for layered plots involving kingdoms and character deaths. Steven Erikson is way too technical and desperately needs a new editor.

As long as no one suggests Mr Magic System Brandon Sanderson then we're cool though

I think Sanderson has already said somewhere he wouldn't do it if asked. Let's get Patrick Rothfuss on the case!

Oh yeah, Rothfuss is great at finishing series.

15. Re: FromSoftware and George R.R. Martin RPG Rumor Mar 28, 2019, 15:07 NKD

Welcome to the Retirement Home for Old People Terrified Of Change

14. Re: FromSoftware and George R.R. Martin RPG Rumor Mar 28, 2019, 14:51 afka Rossini

Kain wrote on Mar 28, 2019, 14:41:
GRMM should just hand over everything to Scalzi and let him finish it. At least we wouldn't have a type of dinnerware mentioned fifty million times in one book.

Ugh no thanks. Scalzi has no hand for characterization, wooden and every character has the same "voice". Old Man's War was decent but I haven't liked anything he's written since and hes certainly no one to fill Martin's shoes. I don't begrudge him his success but he writes like a Whedon script fetishist.

Joe Abercrombie doesn't have the same stylistic prose as Martin but he definitely shares his penchant for layered plots involving kingdoms and character deaths. Steven Erikson is way too technical and desperately needs a new editor.

As long as no one suggests Mr Magic System Brandon Sanderson then we're cool though

I think Sanderson has already said somewhere he wouldn't do it if asked. Let's get Patrick Rothfuss on the case!

13. Re: FromSoftware and George R.R. Martin RPG Rumor Mar 28, 2019, 14:41 Kain

12. Re: FromSoftware and George R.R. Martin RPG Rumor Mar 28, 2019, 14:20 Rectal Prolapse

mag wrote on Mar 28, 2019, 13:57:
Eeew. I like Scalzi as a guy, but his writing is the sci-fi equivalent of twinkies. Empty calories, light and fluffy.

I totally agree here - I've read several of Scalzi's stuff and he is just average fluff. (I wonder if John Gwynne could hack it?)

11. Re: FromSoftware and George R.R. Martin RPG Rumor Mar 28, 2019, 13:57 mag

Eeew. I like Scalzi as a guy, but his writing is the sci-fi equivalent of twinkies. Empty calories, light and fluffy.

10. Re: FromSoftware and George R.R. Martin RPG Rumor Mar 28, 2019, 13:51 Burrito of Peace

9. Re: FromSoftware and George R.R. Martin RPG Rumor Mar 28, 2019, 13:48 WaltC

Started reading GoT ~20 years ago (Clash of Kings original publish date was 1999)--so...here we are two decades later and he hasn't finished the series of six books (or seven, we do not know)--or else the book(s) is/are being written to conform with the TV series, last season to air this year. What a let down this has been. The books are great--fantastic--but he promised more than once to publish the ending books before the airing of the final TV show series--but hasn't done it. I doubt I will ever pick up another series like this from Martin--as likely I'd be long dead before he finished it...or else he would drop dead before finishing it--nope, not going to do it again, JRR!...;)  

It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)

8. Re: FromSoftware and George R.R. Martin RPG Rumor Mar 28, 2019, 13:22 Tipsy McStagger

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 28, 2019, 13:06:
CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 28, 2019, 13:02:
Entitled Fan detected!
ftfy

Have to be a fan in order to actually be an entitled fan.

It's just the truth, other writers can finish the books for him but it's never considered to be the same afterwards. Wheel of time comes to mind here..

7. Re: FromSoftware and George R.R. Martin RPG Rumor Mar 28, 2019, 13:15 Simon Says

"but it certainly makes sense that Martin would be looking for something to occupy all his free time"

That jab <3 xD

6. Re: FromSoftware and George R.R. Martin RPG Rumor Mar 28, 2019, 13:06 RedEye9

CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 28, 2019, 13:02:
Entitled Fan detected!
ftfy

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

5. Re: FromSoftware and George R.R. Martin RPG Rumor Mar 28, 2019, 13:02 CJ_Parker

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Mar 28, 2019, 12:20:
This fat old idiot is going to ruin his legacy by not finishing the books.

What a fucking idiot.

Fanboi detected!

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo