Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Electronic Arts Layoffs

Electronic Arts has laid off about 350 staff, which represents about 3.9% of their 9000 employees. There's an official statement on the EA Website from CEO Andrew Wilson calling these "important but very hard decisions." Word is these affect their marketing & publishing organization and operations teams, and they are also "ramping down" their presence in Japan and Russia. Here's the announcement:

Today we took some important steps as a company to address our challenges and prepare for the opportunities ahead. As we look across a changing world around us, it’s clear that we must change with it. We’re making deliberate moves to better deliver on our commitments, refine our organization and meet the needs of our players. As part of this, we have made changes to our marketing and publishing organization, our operations teams, and we are ramping down our current presence in Japan and Russia as we focus on different ways to serve our players in those markets. In addition to organizational changes, we are deeply focused on increasing quality in our games and services. Great games will continue to be at the core of everything we do, and we are thinking differently about how to amaze and inspire our players.

This is a difficult day. The changes we’re making today will impact about 350 roles in our 9,000-person company. These are important but very hard decisions, and we do not take them lightly. We are friends and colleagues at EA, we appreciate and value everyone’s contributions, and we are doing everything we can to ensure we are looking after our people to help them through this period to find their next opportunity. This is our top priority.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Electronic Arts Layoffs Mar 27, 2019, 22:23 Kxmode

I didn't miss those points. I'm concerned with Cutter's less than amiable "solution."  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Electronic Arts Layoffs Mar 27, 2019, 19:50 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Mar 27, 2019, 14:09:
Cutter wrote on Mar 26, 2019, 20:45:
Yeah, I'm sure it was very hard. Not as hard as counting your 20 million dollar salary though, right?

The Revolution can't come too soon. Put those fuckers right up against the wall.

Firing people from at-will employment doesn't justify putting the people who run the company up against a wall and killing them. Is there something wrong with your thought process that you would genuinely think that is okay? That strikes me as a sick mind. I recommend seeking medical help as soon as possible.

You missed the point: the company let these workers go for business reasons, but saw no business reason to reduce the CEOs massive compensation package. Income inequality, monopolies, and capitalist exploitation are reaching levels not seen since the 1920s. While it sounds like from Midnight that EA is one of the better companies in this regard, there are plenty of other examples. When a system becomes overly exploitative and the citizenry have no recourse, revolution and/or social upheaval is the result. We're rapidly approaching that singularity: witness the election of DJT. People desperate for change will make unconventional, even dangerous choices.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

18. Re: Electronic Arts Layoffs Mar 27, 2019, 14:09 Kxmode

Cutter wrote on Mar 26, 2019, 20:45:
Yeah, I'm sure it was very hard. Not as hard as counting your 20 million dollar salary though, right?

The Revolution can't come too soon. Put those fuckers right up against the wall.

Firing people from at-will employment doesn't justify putting the people who run the company up against a wall and killing them. Is there something wrong with your thought process that you would genuinely think that is okay? That strikes me as a sick mind. I recommend seeking medical help as soon as possible.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

17. Re: Electronic Arts Layoffs Mar 27, 2019, 11:16 Riahderymnmaddog

Am I missing something? these layoffs are in Japan and Russia, do they have a huge market in those country's? Why should they not downsize if there isn't a market for their products..... ohhh yeah, because EA.

Now I have to get back to being pissed that Nestleis selling Halal caramel egg in the middle east becasue Baby Jesus didn't die for Halal foods.

16. Re: Electronic Arts Layoffs Mar 27, 2019, 08:59 Red886

this is inline with ( who was it) that said AAA games should be parceled out to different studios outside of the core organization...  

15. Re: Electronic Arts Layoffs Mar 27, 2019, 08:52 Midnight

ForgedReality wrote on Mar 27, 2019, 02:28:
Good. Go the fuck out of business. Make room for more CDPRs.

That's not how it works. One less video game publisher doesn't mean everyone else gets a bigger slice of the pie. It just means there's less competition, players have fewer options, and a lot of good, hardworking folk have lost their jobs simply for doing what they were told to do.

http://www.crimsondark.com

14. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Mar 27, 2019, 04:37 Kajetan

ForgedReality wrote on Mar 27, 2019, 02:28:
Letting go of 4% of employees is not "going out of biziness". Its nothing more than optimising spending and cash flow for the sake of management boni. EA does well enough that we may endure its existence a few years longer.

13. Re: Electronic Arts Layoffs Mar 27, 2019, 02:28 ForgedReality

12. Re: Electronic Arts Layoffs Mar 26, 2019, 23:15 Mordhaus

Start selling your games on Steam again and I might buy them.

Nah, who am I kidding? Your company buys good game companies and pimps them out until they are useless, that is your failure. You get a game that is good and then you serialize it until it is shit. Or you try to force a social agenda into a series that chronologically doesn't fit.

Make good games...profit...make shit games and fail. Sucks that people got laid off, but EA should fall.

11. Re: Electronic Arts Layoffs Mar 26, 2019, 23:03 Creston

Very Hard Decisions.  

10. Re: Electronic Arts Layoffs Mar 26, 2019, 22:47 Jivaro

Midnight wrote on Mar 26, 2019, 22:28:
Bill Borre wrote on Mar 26, 2019, 19:03:
we are doing everything we can to ensure we are looking after our people to help them through this period to find their next opportunity. This is our top priority.

Bwahahaha!

While it sucks to be layed off, I can say from personal experience that EA really do take good care of people when this happens.

After mass layoffs at BioWare Austin, EA arranged to have recruiters from studios all across the country come to put on a jobs fair across the road from the studio, exclusively for those of us who were now unemployed. Severance was generous, my relocation back to Australia was fully covered, and when I mentioned my frustration at having to sell my recently purchased car at a loss, EA paid me the difference.

That is pretty outstanding, given the situation that is.

9. Re: Electronic Arts Layoffs Mar 26, 2019, 22:40 Avus

Make shitty games, people get fire… CEO still getting millions… pretty normal to me.  

“I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

8. Re: Electronic Arts Layoffs Mar 26, 2019, 22:28 Midnight

Bill Borre wrote on Mar 26, 2019, 19:03:
we are doing everything we can to ensure we are looking after our people to help them through this period to find their next opportunity. This is our top priority.

Bwahahaha!

While it sucks to be layed off, I can say from personal experience that EA really do take good care of people when this happens.

After mass layoffs at BioWare Austin, EA arranged to have recruiters from studios all across the country come to put on a jobs fair across the road from the studio, exclusively for those of us who were now unemployed. Severance was generous, my relocation back to Australia was fully covered, and when I mentioned my frustration at having to sell my recently purchased car at a loss, EA paid me the difference.

http://www.crimsondark.com

7. Re: Electronic Arts Layoffs Mar 26, 2019, 21:08 RedEye9

I feel for the folks that lost their jobs but 3.9% ain't nothing. Corporations do this everyday.

I want to shut the noise out and reconnect to my inner thoughts on the road to feeling more at one with myself. Fleabag

6. Re: Electronic Arts Layoffs Mar 26, 2019, 20:45 Cutter

"Put the pick in there, Pete, and turn it round real neat."

5. Re: Electronic Arts Layoffs Mar 26, 2019, 20:38 Rilcon

I mean, to be fair,
these affect their marketing & publishing organization and operations teams
[shrug emoticon would go here]

Basically the departments responsible for all the bad decisions yet get paid the most.

4. Re: Electronic Arts Layoffs Mar 26, 2019, 20:16 jdreyer

Today we took some important steps as a company to address our challenges and prepare for the opportunities ahead. As we look across a changing world around us, it’s clear that we must change with it

Translation: Free to play mobile games with a lootbox revenue stream sucking $10,000 out of whales is the future, so we don't need as many of these high end developers and artists.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

3. Re: Electronic Arts Layoffs Mar 26, 2019, 20:09 HorrorScope

Then the Anthem patch. They have saboteurs in their midst. This is easily right up there with FO76 if not worse, they can't patch anything easy without more bugs. They really struggle with getting the math right on buff/debufs, too many things do the opposite.  

2. Re: Electronic Arts Layoffs Mar 26, 2019, 19:03 Bill Borre

Bwahahaha!

1. Re: Electronic Arts Layoffs Mar 26, 2019, 19:00 Kxmode

"As we look across a changing world around us." Is that what you call it?  

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo