Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Cyan Kickstarting Firmament

Cyan announces Firmament, a "next-generation enigmatic narrative adventure" from the Myst developer. They are seeking almost $1.3 million to fund this game through Kickstarter, saying the goal is to release this initially for PC, Oculus Rift, and HTC Vive in the summer of 2020. The Firmament Website is now online, offering a teaser trailer, showing off the game's steampunk vibe. Here's the plan:

Cyan once again turns to its fans with a Kickstarter campaign to help fund an amazingly immersive new game, Firmament, and to further explore VR as the next generation technology in world building. Deeply rooted in the spirit of Myst, Riven and more recently, Obduction, Firmament is an all-new, immersive, atmospheric adventure that will be released initially for traditional gaming on PC, and VR headsets Oculus Rift and HTC Vive.

“Kickstarter is a way for us to reach out to our fans to help us fund the types of games we like to build and they like to play.” said Rand Miller, CEO, Cyan. “Anyone who knows Cyan understands that we have always embraced pushing the boundaries of world creation. We believe that VR is part of an evolutionary step in making our worlds even more immersive. Empowering our fans to fund through Kickstarter allows us to explore these creative opportunities. Oh, and they’re gonna love this game.”

Firmament is an all-new story and experience, but it draws on and embraces the steampunk aesthetics (that define parts of Myst) to weave a rich and surprising narrative - with just a touch of magic. The player explores various fantastic worlds with the help of a mechanical adjunct. This constant companion gradually becomes an essential instrument as the player learns how to seamlessly interact, guide, and communicate with it, uncovering a remarkable chain of events.

Cyan’s previous game, Obduction, and most recently the Myst 25th Anniversary Collection, were both successful Kickstarter campaigns. For the Firmament campaign, Cyan is collaborating with Fangamer to create the merchandise. Fangamer has a reputation for creating exceptional merchandise – shirts, plushies, books, prints, pins,etc. – inspired by some of the best video games of all time.

With successful funding through Kickstarter, Firmament will be scheduled for release in the summer of 2020 and be available for PC, Rift and Vive.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Cyan Kickstarting Firmament Mar 27, 2019, 11:47 HorrorScope

Someone would have to show something amazing and fresh for Kickstarter, since it isn't like we're hurting for more AA games being released of all kinds.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Mar 27, 2019, 10:24 RedEye9

Kajetan wrote on Mar 27, 2019, 04:58:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 26, 2019, 22:51:
Myst came out in 1999.
A bit earlier

dammit
My dementia addled brain and google-foo failed me.
I can't even remember if i got it for my first computer (mac) or second one (pc). sigh
I do remember fun times playing Marathon (sp) and Doom 2 (dialup mp) on the mac, so not all is lost.
Beamer wrote on Mar 27, 2019, 10:05:
I'd wager much of that Myst money has been gone for decades.
yep yep

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

10. Re: Cyan Kickstarting Firmament Mar 27, 2019, 10:05 Beamer

I'd wager much of that Myst money has been gone for decades.  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

9. Re: Cyan Kickstarting Firmament Mar 27, 2019, 07:12 Taulin

After Obduction, I'm going to hold off on these folks for a bit. That was a frustrating mess. How about they fix that up first, hmm?  

8. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Mar 27, 2019, 04:58 Kajetan

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 26, 2019, 22:51:
Myst came out in 1999.
A bit earlier

7. Re: Cyan Kickstarting Firmament Mar 26, 2019, 22:51 RedEye9

Paragon of Virtue wrote on Mar 26, 2019, 18:25:
Isn't Myst one of the best selling games of all time? How do these guys need to go to Kickstarter?
Myst came out in 1999.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games
It didn't make the cut.

6. Re: Cyan Kickstarting Firmament Mar 26, 2019, 18:25 Paragon of Virtue

Isn't Myst one of the best selling games of all time? How do these guys need to go to Kickstarter?  
http://www.sorenkristensen.com

5. Re: Cyan Kickstarting Firmament Mar 26, 2019, 17:42 RedEye9

There seems to be an interest as they've a!ready raised 215k. I'll wait for the reviews.
Teaser looks good.

4. Re: Cyan Kickstarting Firmament Mar 26, 2019, 14:20 The Pyro

For what it's worth, Cyan's previous Kickstarter project was a few months late delivering some of the physical products, but the quality was top notch. They have a reputation for shipping fully-functional games, and they've even shipped a previous title with VR support. There's no reason to expect a total failure here.  

3. Re: Cyan Kickstarting Firmament Mar 26, 2019, 12:47 ldonyo

Cutter wrote on Mar 26, 2019, 10:38:
Prez wrote on Mar 26, 2019, 10:23:
My days of supporting kickstarter projects are over - just too many shady projects have come and gone. But I wish these guys the best.

Doubly so for people who easily afford to fund their own projects like these guys.
I think they're doing this to see if anyone cares about their proposed "game" at all. I can only imagine the hours of frustration this will give the VR users as they spend hours trying to touch the exact pixel necessary to complete a puzzle.

2. Re: Cyan Kickstarting Firmament Mar 26, 2019, 10:38 Cutter

Prez wrote on Mar 26, 2019, 10:23:
My days of supporting kickstarter projects are over - just too many shady projects have come and gone. But I wish these guys the best.

Doubly so for people who easily afford to fund their own projects like these guys.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

1. Re: Cyan Kickstarting Firmament Mar 26, 2019, 10:23 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo