6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Morning Tech Bits
Mar 22, 2019, 18:33
Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 22, 2019, 18:33
Mar 22, 2019, 18:33

Beam and SMA, you guys work at high end firms, looking for top devs, but your situation is rare. The vast majority work for mid tier companies like my former employer. They are underpaid, and annual increases are well under the rate of inflation. Many of them were technically excellent and hard-working, but many of them were doing PMO or analytical type work that I could train a reasonably intelligent person to do in a month. There was no way their skillset required hiring a visa holder to do that work.

At my company, there was no grand conspiracy. If I put out a req for a $60,000 salary manual testing position, I'd get citizens of average experience and ability applying, about what I'd expect for that salary back then. But the visa holders who applied would usually be vastly overqualified for the position. I never hired these people, as we didn't sponsor visas, but you can imagine over hundreds of thousands of positions how hiring managers would figure this out and let it drive salaries down.

To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Mar 22, 2019, 16:59
Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 22, 2019, 16:59
Mar 22, 2019, 16:59

Cutter wrote on Mar 22, 2019, 16:24:
Yeah and you cam imagine how most Canadians feel about that. Can't wait until October and the Liberals are gone once again.

Lol, because the Cons were so much better. Rolleyes

I have no love for the Libs, but heck, I'd rather have the NDP or 4 more years of Trudeau circus. Lesser of 2 evils and stuff. Anything but those damn religious regressive Cons. I don't want another Harpasshole clone at Ottawa, we already have enough of a Trump clone @ Ontario's helm as it is.

Mar 22, 2019, 16:24
Cutter

Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 22, 2019, 16:24
Mar 22, 2019, 16:24
 Cutter

For a number of US companies that means expanding their operations in Canada, where hiring foreign nationals is much easier.

Yeah and you cam imagine how most Canadians feel about that. Can't wait until October and the Liberals are gone once again.

“Immigrants create jobs; they don’t take away jobs,” Wu said. “America’s loss right now is Canada’s gain.”

Typical cheap employer lie. 'Oh but we can't find anyone here we can exploit for slave wages and minimal or zero benefits.'
"I didn't know you had it in you. Sorry, poor choice of words." - David

Mar 22, 2019, 15:29
Beamer

Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 22, 2019, 15:29
Mar 22, 2019, 15:29
 Beamer

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Mar 22, 2019, 14:32:
HoSpanky wrote on Mar 22, 2019, 11:10:
So they CLAIM they can’t find anyone (when they mean “we can’t find anyone to do this work for $50,000 a year”), and apply for H1B so they can get someone from India who thinks they won the lottery at that sort of income...right up until they discover the cost of living. By then, they’re stuck.

How widespread is that outside of the firms engaged in outright H1B fraud?

Anecdotally, my employer employs tons of H1Bs but they're all compensated the same as US citizens and green card holders. Meanwhile, most software engineer applicants, regardless of country of origin, end up being rejected as insufficiently qualified. I interview 2-4 job applicants per month, and while the software engineering interview is not a great measure of candidate quality, i'm only averaging one "Lean-Hire" or above per quarter. Meanwhile, of the two H1B holders -- one Chinese and one Israeli -- on my 6 person team, the Israeli is in danger of not being able to renew his visa because the State Department can't understand how someone with a Mechanical Engineering bachelor's could possibly be qualified to work in software.

Yes, the firms I worked for did the same. H1Bs aren't easy to get, and many go to the top tech firms, and they pay the same regardless of nationality. The issue is less that international are willing to work for less than, as you said, the standards of the Googles, Amazons, and Apples of the world are so high that they'll take whomever fits it, and the US doesn't have enough of a supply. No single country does.

Most of these candidates come here and stay here, as well. All of the H1Bs I worked with are still in the US. Still making six figures.

Mar 22, 2019, 14:32
Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 22, 2019, 14:32
Mar 22, 2019, 14:32

HoSpanky wrote on Mar 22, 2019, 11:10:
So they CLAIM they can’t find anyone (when they mean “we can’t find anyone to do this work for $50,000 a year”), and apply for H1B so they can get someone from India who thinks they won the lottery at that sort of income...right up until they discover the cost of living. By then, they’re stuck.

How widespread is that outside of the firms engaged in outright H1B fraud?

Anecdotally, my employer employs tons of H1Bs but they're all compensated the same as US citizens and green card holders. Meanwhile, most software engineer applicants, regardless of country of origin, end up being rejected as insufficiently qualified. I interview 2-4 job applicants per month, and while the software engineering interview is not a great measure of candidate quality, i'm only averaging one "Lean-Hire" or above per quarter. Meanwhile, of the two H1B holders -- one Chinese and one Israeli -- on my 6 person team, the Israeli is in danger of not being able to renew his visa because the State Department can't understand how someone with a Mechanical Engineering bachelor's could possibly be qualified to work in software.

Mar 22, 2019, 11:10
Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 22, 2019, 11:10
Mar 22, 2019, 11:10

For ONCE, I agree with Trump’s move on tech job immigration. It’s absolutely necessary, as tech companies aren’t having a hard time finding local tech workers...they just can’t get them for the pocket change they’re trying for.

So they CLAIM they can’t find anyone (when they mean “we can’t find anyone to do this work for $50,000 a year”), and apply for H1B so they can get someone from India who thinks they won the lottery at that sort of income...right up until they discover the cost of living. By then, they’re stuck. They’ve already moved to America, and are living at the bottom of the income bracket for the area while doing middle class bracket work. And for a while, they’re OK with that.

That’s not even getting into the whole issue of hiring these people who come over and aren’t actually able to do the job because their certifications are fake or low-bar gained.
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older