Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Steam Adding Events and Renovating Game Libraries

During talk about Steam today at the Game Developers Conference, Valve announced plans for Steam that include an overhaul the appearance of game libraries and the addition of a communication element called Events (thanks Kxmode). Variety has details on the session, suggesting that some of what Valve is saying and doing is in response to the rapid inroads made by the fledgling Epic Games Store. They say: "While Valve’s talk Thursday never specifically mentioned Epic, it was clear the company was working to highlight the work it’s already done to establish itself in the market and the work it continues to do to make it easier for developers to stay engaged with their customers." Here's a bit on the new announcements:
Steam Events will be a new way for developers to communicate with their players through Steam. The idea is that developers can create a sort of call to action around specific in-game events. So when a big event is scheduled to go down in a game, Steam will allow developers to put all of that information into an Event in Steam which can be sent out to interested players. Events will feature all of the event details and even a button that allows players to automatically set reminders for the event through a calendar, Steam, email, or even a player’s phone.

“We want to build the foundation for a communication platform where all of the interesting things happening in a game finds its way to customers,” said Alden Kroll, product designer at Valve.

Events, which will go into open beta in the next couple of months, can include anything from an in-game event, to a tournament, live broadcast or major update. In one of the screenshots of the new feature shown off by Kroll, a page detailed all of the upcoming events of the week for a person’s purchased games on one page.

“We think of this as the way developers communicate with players through Steam,” Kroll said.

Another major change coming to Steam will overhaul the look of a person’s game library in Steam.

“When players come in to play a game, we’re going to keep that as easy as possible,” Kroll said. “This provides an opportunity for players to see what else is happening.”
View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Steam Adding Events and Renovating Game Libraries Mar 22, 2019, 09:34 CthulhuFan

Squirmer wrote on Mar 21, 2019, 23:07:
It's almost like competition is making Valve work harder.
Exactly. The gallons of tears collected from Steam zealots are absolutely divine. I am loving this. The only thing better would be if they adopted the GOG DRM free mantra but that battle was lost long ago.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Steam Adding Events and Renovating Game Libraries Mar 22, 2019, 05:14 Nucas

i wonder how long before valve sells to tencent. can't be much longer now until gabe wants to retire.  

11. Re: Steam Adding Events and Renovating Game Libraries Mar 22, 2019, 04:29 Quinn

This here? This is Gabe getting off his sweaty fat ass on monopoly hill. This is why I never cared about the Epic developments and eventually even welcomed it.  

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

10. Re: Steam Adding Events and Renovating Game Libraries Mar 22, 2019, 01:15 Sepharo

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 21, 2019, 20:03:
Sepharo wrote on Mar 21, 2019, 19:49:
... Didn't Steam already have events?

I used to routinely get little toast pop-ups for stuff like a multiplayer shooter starting a tournament or event.

Yeah, but I believe those are just alerts from certain posts made in community groups you have joined, which have been cleverly utilized by some devs for that purpose. Sounds like this new feature will be specifically made for it and include several functions to improve on the idea.

I don't think it was just for groups... Because I've definitely had notifications like that from stuff I'm not in a group for... but actually it might have been because I was "Following" a game I was interested in.

9. Re: Steam Adding Events and Renovating Game Libraries Mar 22, 2019, 00:48 Creston

Epic is stealing all your lunch, and in return you make a mass-notification feature in Steam? Okay...

8. Re: Steam Adding Events and Renovating Game Libraries Mar 22, 2019, 00:06 Leper

Ant wrote on Mar 21, 2019, 23:13:
Competition is good. Although that doesn't help to bring us HL3.

You never know. Maybe all Valve needs is a little motivation to once again release games to make money instead of just running a marketplace.

7. Re: Steam Adding Events and Renovating Game Libraries Mar 21, 2019, 23:13 Ant

Competition is good. Although that doesn't help to bring us HL3.

Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

6. Re: Steam Adding Events and Renovating Game Libraries Mar 21, 2019, 23:07 Squirmer

5. removed Mar 21, 2019, 22:19 NamecaF

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 22, 2019, 07:44.

"I hope those bastards get inoperable brain cancer that they have passed on to their children."
-RedEye9

4. Re: Steam Adding Events and Renovating Game Libraries Mar 21, 2019, 20:47 RedEye9

Ermahgerd
the Epix Store has no renovating event libraries .. derp
gurgle

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

3. Re: Steam Adding Events and Renovating Game Libraries Mar 21, 2019, 20:03 jacobvandy

Sepharo wrote on Mar 21, 2019, 19:49:

I used to routinely get little toast pop-ups for stuff like a multiplayer shooter starting a tournament or event.

Yeah, but I believe those are just alerts from certain posts made in community groups you have joined, which have been cleverly utilized by some devs for that purpose. Sounds like this new feature will be specifically made for it and include several functions to improve on the idea.

2. Re: Steam Adding Events and Renovating Game Libraries Mar 21, 2019, 19:49 Sepharo

1. Re: Steam Adding Events and Renovating Game Libraries Mar 21, 2019, 19:28 Bill Borre

I'm glad to see this happen. I was hoping the devs for Elder Scrolls would add some kind of population indicator as some of the dolmens off the beaten track are difficult to complete. Most ppl just lfg in the text window but if a player knew where ppl were congregating it would be a simple matter to show up to areas where the action is. These changes might be similar thinking along such lines.  

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >