Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

BioWare Offers Anthem Post-Launch Thoughts

A post on the BioWare Blog by Casey Hudson offers a post-launch update on Anthem, BioWare's mechanized action/RPG. He expresses their disappointment that the game suffered from so many issues at launch, and says that it's been their top priority to get things straightened out as quickly as possible. Here's where he talks about what they have done and will do about this, acknowledging that they understand why this will be met with some skepticism:

In these first few weeks, our Live team has worked hard on that, delivering over 200 improvements through patches and live updates, across stability, loot and progression, customization, and more.

We also continue to listen to your feedback, with more improvements to endgame loot and progression, game flow, and stability and performance coming soon – so there’s a lot more work that we intend to do. This is all a learning experience for us, and as we work to make sure the game is improved and perfected, we can’t emphasize enough how much we appreciate you staying with us. Especially because the next stage is where things really get exciting.

The Story is Just Beginning
As we move through this most difficult period of launching a new game and IP, we are also working on the things that will really show what Anthem is capable of – a series of world events, new story content, and new features, that all build towards the Cataclysm later this spring.

But we understand there is skepticism out there. We hear the criticisms and doubts. But we’ll keep going anyway, working hard every day on Anthem – an ever-changing world, constantly improving and growing, and supported well into the future by our team of passionate developers.

With Anthem we’re trying something a little different than we’ve done before. And likewise our upcoming games will be different from Anthem. But with everything we do, we focus on staying true to our mission, creating worlds that inspire you to become the hero of your own story. So what’s most important to us is you, the players who have supported us in this journey. And we’re excited to prove that with Anthem, the best is yet to come.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: BioWare Offers Anthem Post-Launch Thoughts Mar 21, 2019, 18:49 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Mar 20, 2019, 14:53:
Creston wrote on Mar 20, 2019, 08:15:
We launched a game that so many of you tell us is really fun at its core, but we also had a degree of issues that did not reveal themselves until we were operating at the scale of millions of players.

This is such horseshit. What, the 248000 loading screens you see in an hour didn't start showing up until millions of players were playing? Before that, there were no loading screens whatsoever? They popped up as soon as player 2,000,001 logged in?

I believe "really fun at its core" is besides the point of the loading screens. So technically, not fibbing or fabricating.

Statements of opinion cannot be fibs.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: BioWare Offers Anthem Post-Launch Thoughts Mar 20, 2019, 19:45 HorrorScope

Big patch next week with a lot of points of it addressed today. FOV coming... yay. If they nail this patch it would go a long way towards fixing quite a few wrongs.

I still suspect on the other-side of this a lack of content and loot drops still being an issue. Both are being addressed to a point, but my gut tells me it will still be short. But there is a good list of what is coming next week, highlights, there are so many little bugs the detailed patch notes are going to be very long.

As much as we bag it and it deserves it, the combat model long term is the redeeming quality on wanting this to succeed and grow. Just go away a year and if this is still a thing, probably be pretty good.

21. Re: BioWare Offers Anthem Post-Launch Thoughts Mar 20, 2019, 16:32 Osc8r

I personally find the gunplay and combat mechanics FAR better in Anthem than Division.

In the Division 2 guns still sound like toys, and have no real weight or impact... and the gameplay is just a matter of running from cover to cover to cover. Meh. Definitely not satisfying to me.

Just a shame that Anthem didn't get anything else right.

I'd take Far Cry New Dawn gunplay over them both (and the audio absolutely destroys both Div and Anthem), but it's another game that lacks content and variety.

20. Re: BioWare Offers Anthem Post-Launch Thoughts Mar 20, 2019, 14:53 Kxmode

Creston wrote on Mar 20, 2019, 08:15:
We launched a game that so many of you tell us is really fun at its core, but we also had a degree of issues that did not reveal themselves until we were operating at the scale of millions of players.

This is such horseshit. What, the 248000 loading screens you see in an hour didn't start showing up until millions of players were playing? Before that, there were no loading screens whatsoever? They popped up as soon as player 2,000,001 logged in?

I believe "really fun at its core" is besides the point of the loading screens. So technically, not fibbing or fabricating.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

19. Re: BioWare Offers Anthem Post-Launch Thoughts Mar 20, 2019, 11:00 Riahderymnmaddog

Quinn wrote on Mar 20, 2019, 08:19:
Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Mar 20, 2019, 08:11:
Muahhh Anthem is no worse then the Division II or destiny 2 upon launch.

Except that both Destiny and Division have shooting that feels satisfying; gameplay that feels satisfying. Also, Division has a level design that deserves all the awards in the world. For that alone I have started the game up, just to walk around and absorb all the details. That goes for both Division 1 and Division 2.

Anthem has none of that. Level design is absolute garbage, shooting isn't fun, and they couldn't even do the flying right with that ridiculous invisible fucking ceiling. I thrust my middle finger up in the air for Anthem with an aggression that expresses how much I hate them for poluting the gaming industry even further with this fucking filth!

The division 2 isn’t nearly as bad as the first, but the level design is repetitive AF, and the world is every bit as empty and lifeless as Anthem. the same dude is preforming CPR for like 2 weeks outside of the Whitehouse.

Don't even get me started on the 48 Gigabyte day one patch that the division 2 came with, the like 6 patches since launch, or that core game mechanics that are broken AF, the turret and drones not working? What’s with the weird AI in the division 2. broken AF

Anthem has different problems, but at least not every piece of armor looks the same, and personally i like the level design

Like i said, no worse than Division or Destiny. Hell, Anthem cost me $8.30 and the Division cost me $100 so there is that too

The biggest problem Anthem has, is EA, and I am not even saying EA is bad, but EA is a hate magnet.

18. Re: BioWare Offers Anthem Post-Launch Thoughts Mar 20, 2019, 08:19 Quinn

Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Mar 20, 2019, 08:11:

Except that both Destiny and Division have shooting that feels satisfying; gameplay that feels satisfying. Also, Division has a level design that deserves all the awards in the world. For that alone I have started the game up, just to walk around and absorb all the details. That goes for both Division 1 and Division 2.

Anthem has none of that. Level design is absolute garbage, shooting isn't fun, and they couldn't even do the flying right with that ridiculous invisible fucking ceiling. I thrust my middle finger up in the air for Anthem with an aggression that expresses how much I hate them for poluting the gaming industry even further with this fucking filth!

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

17. Re: BioWare Offers Anthem Post-Launch Thoughts Mar 20, 2019, 08:15 Creston

The fact that every single fucking mission is the same tired five objectives rehashed over and over and over again didn't show until player 2,000,001 logged in? Before that you had hundreds of objectives?

We could run in Fort Tarsis and it was actually alive instead of being a joke facsimile of an old SNES-era JRPG town?

Loot actually dropped? Get the fuck out of here, Casey Hudson.

supported well into the future by our team of passionate developers.

The same passionate developers who brought you the game as it currently is. Aren't you excited yet?!

16. Re: BioWare Offers Anthem Post-Launch Thoughts Mar 20, 2019, 08:11 Riahderymnmaddog

15. Re: BioWare Offers Anthem Post-Launch Thoughts Mar 20, 2019, 08:01 Kain

The biggest issue the game suffers from is a lack of content and a total lack of planning concerning even basic game systems. This didn't take "millions of players" to reveal itself. People understand crashes and server issues, they don't understand when you ship half a game. I saw this game was top on NPD which is a testament to EAs marketing muscle and frankly totally undeserved, it is a terrible product.

Anyone who has played Anthem can attest to the fact that it's basically two different games at war with each other. You have some narrative elements and characters that aren't half bad. The world building is kind of generic and awful but they could do something with it. Then you have a bizarre iron man shooter that can't seem to decide if it wants people to even care about the weapons in it or not. The narrative element lives in a little castle that no one wants to visit because its boring and the shooter lives out in an empty open world no one really cares about either but at least you can fly.

The trouble here was a lack of vision and split focus. Bioware makes solid story based games. They aren't known for their competence in shooters. Getting out of your comfort zone is fine but they should've gone all in on that instead of this weird half and half approach that satisfies no one.

14. Re: BioWare Offers Anthem Post-Launch Thoughts Mar 20, 2019, 07:08 Prez

They should have let Bioware Montreal work on Anthem and given Mass Effect Andromeda to this team. Andromeda may have been more of a success (enough to maybe not have killed off the franchise) and Anthem would still be trash, albeit with more tired faces and terrible dialogue.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

13. Re: BioWare Offers Anthem Post-Launch Thoughts Mar 20, 2019, 06:36 Jonjonz

The Public Relations Droids are surely working over time coaching tools like this on how to appear sincerely surprised at how un-tested and and un-finished the game they sold you for AAA list was.

I am sure everyone including the cleaning staff knew this game was being shipped far from finished. The CEO's are just testing the envelope to see just how far they can push consumers with un-tested and un-finished "game" products.

There is nothing outside a person that by going in can defile, but things that come out are what defile.
Mark 7:1-8, 14-15, 21-23

12. Re: BioWare Offers Anthem Post-Launch Thoughts Mar 20, 2019, 03:46 Asmodai

Enjoyed playing for the 20 buck (AUD) sub price to Origin Premier (also finished Battlefield 1 stories and a decent part of Darksiders III finished) and now I can let the sub slip with little regrets.

All told, some 160 dollars worth of value.

Plus I was one of the lucky ones that got a legendary worth something (+250% weapon dmg was one of the mods, making grandmaster II content fairly easy to solo).

And if by "trying something new" you mean "showed the most epic battle imaginable via cutscene rather than let the players play, then send them back to the same 4 boring quest types", sure. Groundbreaking stuff. Player agency discarded, seems to be working a treat...

11. Re: BioWare Offers Anthem Post-Launch Thoughts Mar 20, 2019, 03:29 Quinn

Time of death pl0x.

This groveling is terrible to witness. "Please! Hang on!"
No, Bioware, sorry, but the game just isn't fun. I would be in hell if I had to play this game for a living. "But Quinn...! Jetpacks...!" Yeah, that shit was new and unforgettable in OUTWARS (1998).

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

10. Re: BioWare Offers Anthem Post-Launch Thoughts Mar 20, 2019, 03:13 f4stjack

"The next stage is where things really get exciting"

I don't see anything to be excited about. The whole Game as a Service thing doesn't work, not every game HAS to be a "multiplayer experience"; they don't need to realize "DLC drip feed" to bleed the customers one dollar at a time. It may generate revenue in the short term, but it doesn't seem sustainable.

Remember Simcity 2013? EA is trying to force this GaaS concept ever since (if my memory doesn't fault me). It didn't work then, it doesn't work now and it probably won't work ever. Stop turning single player games into MMOs by applying Frankensteinian methods, gutting parts to make them DLCs, adding stuff to make them ever online and so on.

9. Re: BioWare Offers Anthem Post-Launch Thoughts Mar 20, 2019, 02:26 Tipsy McStagger

Bioware has put out some of my favorite games...

It's a shame this is such an epic piece of shit.

8. Re: BioWare Offers Anthem Post-Launch Thoughts Mar 19, 2019, 23:55 Creston

we are also working on the things that will really show what Anthem is capable of – a series of world events, new story content, and new features, that all build towards the Cataclysm later this spring.

This should have been in your game from the freaking start, Casey, but I guess you were too busy modeling for an in-game character to give a shit, huh?

And likewise our upcoming games will be different from Anthem

I hope EA shares your optimism. I doubt it, though.

And we’re excited to prove that with Anthem, the best is yet to come.

If by "the best", you mean it going on sale for $10 or less, then sure. If by the best you mean some kind of magical set of content you're going to build, then yeah, color me very skeptical. Clearly your world builders and level designers truly have no inspiration whatsoever, as in six years all of them combined could come up with a literal five mission objectives. I'm surprised players don't start Anthem by staring at a crate.

7. Re: BioWare Offers Anthem Post-Launch Thoughts Mar 19, 2019, 22:35 Mordhaus

Man, EA just ruins good gaming companies. The old Bioware would have deep sixed this game before putting it out like the new one did.  

6. Re: BioWare Offers Anthem Post-Launch Thoughts Mar 19, 2019, 22:22 Osc8r

Prez wrote on Mar 19, 2019, 21:23:
Maybe they'll insert another "bug" that makes drop rates somewhat reasonable. By all accounts the only time the end game has been fun is when one of these "bugs" pops up.

But even then legendary loot in this game isn't all that legendary at all...

You find more interesting gear in Borderlands at like level 5.

And what do you do when you eventually get a few decent legendary pieces? The higher difficulties drop chance doesn't even come close to offsetting the additional time investment (read: mob hp inflation), so you basically just grind on the same mobs in the Rage stronghold on the same difficulty and quit before the boss in a hope to get more legendary pieces that are virtually pointless anyway...

But that's if you can even get into a fresh Rage stronghold, most of the time you ended up in a Rage stronghold that's in progress due to everyone else in the game doing the exact same thing, so you're basically playing watch the loading screens.

The whole things a fkn mess. So much wasted potential.

This comment was edited on Mar 19, 2019, 22:32.

5. Re: BioWare Offers Anthem Post-Launch Thoughts Mar 19, 2019, 21:24 jdreyer

"Sorry our money vacuum was not able to glam and dazzle you into spending as much money as we had hoped. We're going to fix it so our shareholders are happier."

Hey Casey, let me introduce you to this new concept, "testing." There are many different types, such as functional testing, usability testing, load testing, and focus group testing. This concept, when properly applied pre-release really helps to avoid these kinds of issues.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

4. Re: BioWare Offers Anthem Post-Launch Thoughts Mar 19, 2019, 21:23 Prez

Maybe they'll insert another "bug" that makes drop rates somewhat reasonable. By all accounts the only time the end game has been fun is when one of these "bugs" pops up.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo