NVIDIA Bringing DirectX Raytracing to GeForce GTX Cards

NVIDIA announces plans to introduce DirectX Raytracing to GeForce GTX CPUS next month, starting with the GTX 1060 and up. Here's word:
From engine updates to exciting games to developer tools, NVIDIA and its partners are making a number of ray tracing announcements at GDC 2019 to drive the ecosystem forward around this exciting new technology.

For decades, NVIDIA has been working towards the dream of real-time videogame ray tracing. It required millions of hours of research and development, focusing on everything from GPU hardware and software, to updated APIs and game engines, to development tools and denoisers. In 2018, all that hard work came to fruition with the launch of GeForce RTX GPUs, the world’s first consumer graphics cards with dedicated RT Core ray tracing hardware, enabling realistic ray-traced effects to run in real-time in high-fidelity and at high resolutions.

In the time since, our software and developer teams have kept working, allowing us to optimize our ray tracing technology, make new software advancements, and help developers further accelerate ray tracing performance in games. Because of this work, we have dramatically sped up ray tracing performance for GeForce RTX GPUs, and can now enable DirectX Raytracing ( DXR ) on GeForce GTX 1060 6GB and higher graphics cards via a Game Ready Driver update, expected in April.

The much larger install base of RT-capable GPUs will fuel developer adoption of ray tracing technology, bringing more games for both GeForce RTX and GeForce GTX users to experience. GeForce GTX gamers will have an opportunity to use ray tracing at lower RT quality settings and resolutions, while GeForce RTX users will experience up to 2-3x faster performance thanks to the dedicated RT Cores on their GPUs, enabling the use of higher-quality settings and resolutions at higher framerates.
View : : :
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Repeat After Me, RTX CANNOT Do Ray Tracing!
Mar 19, 2019, 21:30
Re: Repeat After Me, RTX CANNOT Do Ray Tracing! Mar 19, 2019, 21:30
Mar 19, 2019, 21:30

Hanneth wrote on Mar 19, 2019, 20:31:
saluk wrote on Mar 19, 2019, 01:38:
Your terminology is bogus. A "raycast" is just the general process of sending a ray from a point in a direction and doing something when it hits something. Raytracing uses raycasts as part of the math.

The raytracing in dx12 and currently supported by RTX is true raytracing in every sense. If you tell it to produce a ray for every pixel on the screen, and feed in the proper materials for the objects, and allow each ray to bounce and refract as much as it should, you will get exactly the same kind of render that say blender or max produce.

Or if you are making a quake2 mod, just do it all

First off, the Quake 2 mod doesn't do it all, it actually shows off how hard it is to convert over current games. Missing player weapon flashes, sparks, player and opponent shadows. Though in fairness, they say player weapon flashes should be easy to add. There is even light artifacting caused by the de-noise filter.

My terminology comes from the graphics community, which is extremely picky about terminology because of how different the implementations are between the approaches.

I had however not kept up on the terminology, as what was originally called "ray cast ray tracing" is now called "path tracing."

RTX works a lot differently from what Blender natively does. Blender does real ray tracing. RTX does path tracing. I say Blender natively, as Blender supports external rendering engines and a path tracing engine could be plugged in.

Quoting one of the blender developers when asked about RTX,
"
It is a path tracing engine. Ray tracing engine can not do caustic, soft shadows, global illumination, etc... while a path tracing engine will give you all of these without any cheating. Both of these engine types shoot rays from the camera but the similarities end there.
"

Some people argue that path tracing is superior. From Wikipedia:
"
Path tracing naturally simulates many effects that have to be specifically added to other methods (conventional ray tracing or scanline rendering)
"

While the majority of the graphics community are still behind ray tracing because even though they need to cheat a little bit, path tracing creates grainy images, no matter the number of passes used. The only way around this is to smooth out the image, but then you are introducing other graphic artifacts. Also path tracing suffers from not properly scattering light from volumetric things like heat from fire, something ray tracing has no problems with.

Though some people still point out that when trying new cheats in ray tracing, they generally use a path traced image as reference.

Ray tracing is still used in the majority of films and TV where CGI elements blend with filmed elements. However, many fully CGI movies and TV shows have now gone with various forms of path tracing.

Depending on who you talk to, the real future for TV and movies is volumetric path tracing. This solves the problems of light scattering caused by non-visible elements, but also currently has quite a speed cost to the solution. It still doesn't address the how grainy the image is.

path tracing is imply a more advanced form of ray tracing, it is not inherently "grainy", that's simply a byproduct of how few rays the GPUS can handle. raycasting done with just as few rays would have a similarly noisy image.

Mar 19, 2019, 20:31
Re: Repeat After Me, RTX CANNOT Do Ray Tracing! Mar 19, 2019, 20:31
Mar 19, 2019, 20:31

saluk wrote on Mar 19, 2019, 01:38:
Your terminology is bogus. A "raycast" is just the general process of sending a ray from a point in a direction and doing something when it hits something. Raytracing uses raycasts as part of the math.

The raytracing in dx12 and currently supported by RTX is true raytracing in every sense. If you tell it to produce a ray for every pixel on the screen, and feed in the proper materials for the objects, and allow each ray to bounce and refract as much as it should, you will get exactly the same kind of render that say blender or max produce.

First off, the Quake 2 mod doesn't do it all, it actually shows off how hard it is to convert over current games. Missing player weapon flashes, sparks, player and opponent shadows. Though in fairness, they say player weapon flashes should be easy to add. There is even light artifacting caused by the de-noise filter.

My terminology comes from the graphics community, which is extremely picky about terminology because of how different the implementations are between the approaches.

I had however not kept up on the terminology, as what was originally called "ray cast ray tracing" is now called "path tracing."

RTX works a lot differently from what Blender natively does. Blender does real ray tracing. RTX does path tracing. I say Blender natively, as Blender supports external rendering engines and a path tracing engine could be plugged in.

Quoting one of the blender developers when asked about RTX,
"
It is a path tracing engine. Ray tracing engine can not do caustic, soft shadows, global illumination, etc... while a path tracing engine will give you all of these without any cheating. Both of these engine types shoot rays from the camera but the similarities end there.
"

Some people argue that path tracing is superior. From Wikipedia:
"
Path tracing naturally simulates many effects that have to be specifically added to other methods (conventional ray tracing or scanline rendering)
"

While the majority of the graphics community are still behind ray tracing because even though they need to cheat a little bit, path tracing creates grainy images, no matter the number of passes used. The only way around this is to smooth out the image, but then you are introducing other graphic artifacts. Also path tracing suffers from not properly scattering light from volumetric things like heat from fire, something ray tracing has no problems with.

Though some people still point out that when trying new cheats in ray tracing, they generally use a path traced image as reference.

Ray tracing is still used in the majority of films and TV where CGI elements blend with filmed elements. However, many fully CGI movies and TV shows have now gone with various forms of path tracing.

Depending on who you talk to, the real future for TV and movies is volumetric path tracing. This solves the problems of light scattering caused by non-visible elements, but also currently has quite a speed cost to the solution. It still doesn't address the how grainy the image is.

Re: NVIDIA Bringing DirectX Raytracing to GeForce GTX Cards
Mar 19, 2019, 13:09
Re: NVIDIA Bringing DirectX Raytracing to GeForce GTX Cards Mar 19, 2019, 13:09
Mar 19, 2019, 13:09

Ozmodan wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 22:45:
Come on, this is just a gimmick by Nvidia. Even the GTX 2080 cannot turn on Ray Tracing and have any respectable FPS. Can't imagine how bad trying to do it in software no matter how powerful a card you have.

I was watching a dual 2060 computer the other day try to run Anthem with ray tracing on, what a joke. Ray Tracing is a complete waste of die space on the 20xx series.

Anthem is so sad, even the ray tracing is broken.

Mar 19, 2019, 06:46
Re: NVIDIA Bringing DirectX Raytracing to GeForce GTX Cards Mar 19, 2019, 06:46
Mar 19, 2019, 06:46

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 23:39:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 22:59:
I was watching a dual 2060 computer the other day try to run Anthem with ray tracing on, what a joke. Ray Tracing is a complete waste of die space on the 20xx series.

Well this is interesting since Anthem doesn't have ray tracing or casting in it yet.

Or SLI/NVLink support.

If a game has TAA (yes, the blurry-as-fuck-but-not-as-blurry-as-FXAA AA) it by definition can not support multi-gpu's.

Mar 19, 2019, 05:53
Re: NVIDIA Bringing DirectX Raytracing to GeForce GTX Cards Mar 19, 2019, 05:53
Mar 19, 2019, 05:53

#MakeQuake2@480pGreatAgain

Mar 19, 2019, 04:52
El Pit

Re: NVIDIA Bringing DirectX Raytracing to GeForce GTX Cards Mar 19, 2019, 04:52
Mar 19, 2019, 04:52
 El Pit

jamiedj99 wrote on Mar 19, 2019, 03:19:
I wonder if this is because Crysis proved you can run raytracing on a Vega Card and does this make the release of the 1660 series cards kinda points less

Which never had to be "proved" because nobody ever said it could not...
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

Mar 19, 2019, 03:56
Re: NVIDIA Bringing DirectX Raytracing to GeForce GTX Cards Mar 19, 2019, 03:56
Mar 19, 2019, 03:56

I just upgraded from the 970GTX to a RTX2060. Seemed like the best bang for buck right now. Pretty satisfied with the upgrade, and since Ill be gaming in 1080p for the forseeable future I think I did good. (Don't care about Ray Tracing, Casting or whatever)

Mar 19, 2019, 03:55
Re: NVIDIA Bringing DirectX Raytracing to GeForce GTX Cards Mar 19, 2019, 03:55
Mar 19, 2019, 03:55

Come on, this is just a gimmick by Nvidia. Even the GTX 2080 cannot turn on Ray Tracing and have any respectable FPS. Can't imagine how bad trying to do it in software no matter how powerful a card you have.

C'mon now, my 2080Ti will run RTX at 90 FPS in full 480P.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Mar 19, 2019, 03:19
Re: NVIDIA Bringing DirectX Raytracing to GeForce GTX Cards Mar 19, 2019, 03:19
Mar 19, 2019, 03:19

I wonder if this is because Crysis proved you can run raytracing on a Vega Card and does this make the release of the 1660 series cards kinda points less

Mar 19, 2019, 01:38
Re: Repeat After Me, RTX CANNOT Do Ray Tracing! Mar 19, 2019, 01:38
Mar 19, 2019, 01:38

Hanneth wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 20:21:
RTX cannot to Ray Tracing, it does Ray Casting Ray Tracing, or for short Ray Casting. This is a form of Ray Casting that looks better than the current rasterization techniques, but isn't what is used in TV and movies. Can nVidia stop lying, their RTX cards have no hardware for Ray Tracing, it only had hardware to accelerate Ray Casting and to smooth out the fact that it can't cast every pixel every frame.

The corners are cut in that there is not enough power to do a ray for every pixel, or infinite bounces, or using all the information from each ray. Instead, a number of random rays are sampled each frame, and the noise is cleaned up by another process. And the number of bounces is not infinite. And the information that is used is limited by developers to keep framerates - you choose whether to do true reflections, true global illumination, or true shadows, basically.

Mar 19, 2019, 01:30
Re: NVIDIA Bringing DirectX Raytracing to GeForce GTX Cards Mar 19, 2019, 01:30
Mar 19, 2019, 01:30

It's not "in software" it will be using the compute cores. But other than that, yeah, sounds like magic and I'll believe it when I see it. Most likely, it will be very noisy with low number of rays, that no one will want to turn on, but it lets them convince more devs to use it because theoretically it's supported on all the cards people actually can buy.

Mar 18, 2019, 23:39
Re: NVIDIA Bringing DirectX Raytracing to GeForce GTX Cards Mar 18, 2019, 23:39
Mar 18, 2019, 23:39

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 22:59:

Well this is interesting since Anthem doesn't have ray tracing or casting in it yet.

Or SLI/NVLink support.
Parallax Abstraction
Podcast | YouTube | Twitch

Mar 18, 2019, 22:59
Re: NVIDIA Bringing DirectX Raytracing to GeForce GTX Cards Mar 18, 2019, 22:59
Mar 18, 2019, 22:59

Mar 18, 2019, 22:45
Re: NVIDIA Bringing DirectX Raytracing to GeForce GTX Cards Mar 18, 2019, 22:45
Mar 18, 2019, 22:45

Mar 18, 2019, 20:51
Re: NVIDIA Bringing DirectX Raytracing to GeForce GTX Cards Mar 18, 2019, 20:51
Mar 18, 2019, 20:51

It's a trap. When more developers do more ray tracing in games, and people realize that they can't run with those effects at acceptable FPS, they will feel that they have to upgrade to Nvidia GTX GPUS.

Mar 18, 2019, 20:29
Re: NVIDIA Bringing DirectX Raytracing to GeForce GTX Cards Mar 18, 2019, 20:29
Mar 18, 2019, 20:29

Obviously RTX cards really show their worth with these features, but hoping my GTX 1080 SC is at least able to run Q2VKPT

Mar 18, 2019, 20:21
Re: NVIDIA Bringing DirectX Raytracing to GeForce GTX Cards Mar 18, 2019, 20:21

Next thing ya know they'll bring GSync to freesync monitors.
A mask is not a political statement.
It's an IQ test. It's a compassion test. It's a decency test. It's a social responsibility test.
Cover Your Eyes for even more protection.

Re: NVIDIA Bringing DirectX Raytracing to GeForce GTX Cards Mar 18, 2019, 20:21

Genious Nvidia. Allow the older gen cards to turn it on to ruin their performance only to convince them that they need a new RTX card, lol.

You thought they would simply bring it to the GTX because they were cheaper to afford than an RTX? HAH!

Repeat After Me, RTX CANNOT Do Ray Tracing!
Repeat After Me, RTX CANNOT Do Ray Tracing! Mar 18, 2019, 20:21

RTX cannot to Ray Tracing, it does Ray Casting Ray Tracing, or for short Ray Casting. This is a form of Ray Casting that looks better than the current rasterization techniques, but isn't what is used in TV and movies. Can nVidia stop lying, their RTX cards have no hardware for Ray Tracing, it only had hardware to accelerate Ray Casting and to smooth out the fact that it can't cast every pixel every frame.

Mar 18, 2019, 20:05
Re: NVIDIA Bringing DirectX Raytracing to GeForce GTX Cards Mar 18, 2019, 20:05
Mar 18, 2019, 20:05

Interesting. I have a GTX 1060. I wonder how Metro Exodus will look.
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older