Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

No Man's Sky Beyond Announced

The No Man's Sky Website announces No Man's Sky Beyond as the next chapter in No Man's Sky, saying this will bring expanded multiplayer support to the procedurally generated space game this summer in an update that will be free for all existing players. They call this "a radical new social and multiplayer experience which empowers players everywhere in the universe to meet and play together." But they also stress that this will not make the game into an MMOG, and that it will involve no subscription fees and no microtransactions. Sean Murray tweets about the news, saying there will be two additional updates in No Man's Sky Beyond beyond No Man's Sky Online, promising more information "soon." In the meantime, they offer this very short teaser trailer along with the following announcement:

We know that there is a lot of hunger out there for news and updates on No Manís Sky. We wanted to share some information from behind the scenes.

Our next chapter will be called No Manís Sky: Beyond, coming Summer 2019.

Each chapter for No Manís Sky has been more successful than the last. Thanks to our community, NEXT our large release last year was especially so. It went on to bring enjoyment to millions of new players, and it helped to change the legacy of this game we care so much about.

Earlier this year, whilst working on our roadmap of three future updates, we decided we wanted to interweave their features, and had a vision for something much more impactful.

We are excited to announce that Beyond will contain those three major updates rolled into one larger free release.

The first component of Beyond we are announcing today is No Manís Sky Online.

No Manís Sky Online includes a radical new social and multiplayer experience which empowers players everywhere in the universe to meet and play together. Whilst this brings people together like never before, and has many recognisable online elements, we donít consider No Manís Sky to be an MMO Ė it wonít require a subscription, wonít contain microtransactions, and will be free for all existing players.

These changes are an answer to how we have seen people playing since the release of NEXT, and is something weíve dreamed of for a long time.

We will talk more about each component when we know we can be precise, and look forward to sharing more in the coming weeks.

Beyond will be our most ambitious chapter so far, and something weíve been working ridiculously hard on. Weíll continue to support No Manís Sky in this way for the foreseeable future.

Itís unexpected but so rewarding to see so many accolades and nominations for No Manís Sky as Best On-going or Most Evolved this year. To some NEXT may have felt like a natural end-point for our journey, but for us it was another step on a longer voyage.

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

44. Re: No Man's Sky Beyond Announced Mar 17, 2019, 08:21 Kain

I feel like people get hung up on the early game release and ignore the fact that this game still has a really boring gameplay loop. I don't really care how much more stuff he's put into it, its still a really boring and unfulfilling game. For a guy who really admired 4x games as a kid he's made a remarkably bad one here. Their reliance on procedural generation and collection activities makes playing this feel like you are doing chores. The various content updates feel disparate. You can get a car and drive around the boring, generic planets. Cool. New missions?! Oh, the same 4-5 repeated ad nauseum. It does not feel like a cohesive experience, everything added feels bolted on and poorly thought out.

It's a fundamentally flawed game. I appreciate the ambition and idea behind it but it falls short on execution everywhere. Procedural generation should be a tool to aid development, not be the game content entirely.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: Re: No Man's Sky Beyond Announced Mar 16, 2019, 04:21 NKD

Kxmode wrote on Mar 15, 2019, 23:22:
His recompense is for me to CONSTANTLY remind people of what he did so that now and years from now they won't forget.

That sounds more like you're paying recompense, not him. This obsession only hurts you, not him.

Bravery is not a function of firepower.

42. Re: No Man's Sky Beyond Announced Mar 16, 2019, 03:48 VaranDragon

Kxmode wrote on Mar 15, 2019, 16:25:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 15, 2019, 13:14:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 15, 2019, 12:24:
I'm not sure how many free updates these guys have to give out for people to forgive them. They over-promised before release, after release they seem to be working damned hard to deliver, as well as watching what they do promise.
Exactly, now they have proven they can be trusted.
People just like to complain.

A liar can never be trusted. That's a hard truth that's been around since forever.

For a supposed Christian you take a pretty hard line stance against this whole forgivness thing. As in, you don't really believe in it. Oh that's right you're a Jehovah's witness. I guess it doesn't really work that way for you guys. You're all into that Old Testament shit really deep right? As in only Jehovah's witnesses shall be saved and for everyone else eternal damnation?

Seriously bro, the guy lied about a game. A game that him and his company have since pretty much fixed. It's not like he fucked your wife or something, so maybe give it a little bit of a rest?

41. Re: No Man's Sky Beyond Announced Mar 16, 2019, 03:06 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Mar 15, 2019, 16:19:
A person who committed a crime 50 years ago is still guilty today even if they are now an upstanding citizen with a family and a good paying job (I guarantee the victim(s) of the offense still seek justice). Sean Murray's "crime" is he deliberately lied to millions to sell a sham product he knew would not have the things touted. He built his empire on a foundation of lies. There's no justification for any of it just because No Man's Sky has reached its current state.

1. All defendants in our country are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

2. The 50 year rule is only true for murder (actually no limitation). All other crimes have statutes of limitation.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

40. Re: Re: No Man's Sky Beyond Announced Mar 16, 2019, 02:58 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Mar 15, 2019, 23:22:
NKD wrote on Mar 15, 2019, 20:03:
NKD wrote on Mar 15, 2019, 13:56:
Next and the subsequent updates were really solid additions. I have no doubt this one will be, as well. Whatever Sean Murray said/did in the past, it's the past. He can't change it, no one can. As long as he and his team do right by the customers going forward, they are doing the most they can.

A person who committed a crime 50 years ago is still guilty today even if they are now an upstanding citizen with a family and a good paying job (I guarantee the victim(s) of the offense still seek justice). Sean Murray's "crime" is he deliberately lied to millions to sell a sham product he knew would not have the things touted. He built his empire on a foundation of lies. There's no justification for any of it just because No Man's Sky has reached its current state.

As you know, I'm not religious, but I was raised a Christian and was taught to forgive people who wrong me, lest a grudge poison my soul. Even though I've been an atheist for decades now, I've kept that principle. No one can erase their past wrongs, and obsessing over it would serve no purpose.

I swear this argument eventually comes up as if using it somehow ends the discussion.

First, make sure you understand the relevance. The passage of forgiveness has NO bearing here. It is about freely forgiving members of the Christian congregation. The Bible flat out warns people who engage in immoral business dealings. It even condemns them in several passages. See Matthew's account in chapter 21 of Jesus turning over the tables of money changers and merchants who dishonestly sold animals for sacrifices inside the temple.

Second, there are dozens of passages specifically about lying in general. "We wish to conduct ourselves honestly in all things." (Hebrews 13:18) It is one of the sins that God hates. The Bible also condemns people who lie in their business dealings. (Proverbs 11:1) "Dishonest scales are detestable to Jehovah, But an accurate weight brings pleasure to him."

Here, Sean was not "conducting himself honestly in all things," and he employed "dishonest scales" when he talked about his product. He knew full well most of the stuff he pitched would not be in the game at release, and yet he soldiered on without warning the millions who bought it.

In other words, leave God out of this discussion. If you go there, do realize I know and understand the subject matter. This is strictly about a man who engaged in dishonest, business dealings. To me the "crime" has yet to be resolved. His recompense is for me to CONSTANTLY remind people of what he did so that now and years from now they won't forget.

I dunno, man. The Catholics forgave the pedos. Certainly Sean Murray's crimes are less serious than that.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

39. Re: No Man's Sky Beyond Announced Mar 15, 2019, 23:48 RedEye9

Next and the subsequent updates were really solid additions. I have no doubt this one will be, as well. Whatever Sean Murray said/did in the past, it's the past. He can't change it, no one can. As long as he and his team do right by the customers going forward, they are doing the most they can.

As you know, I'm not religious, but I was raised a Christian and was taught to forgive people who wrong me, lest a grudge poison my soul. Even though I've been an atheist for decades now, I've kept that principle. No one can erase their past wrongs, and obsessing over it would serve no purpose.
bingo

I want to shut the noise out and reconnect to my inner thoughts on the road to feeling more at one with myself. Fleabag

38. Re: No Man's Sky Beyond Announced Mar 15, 2019, 23:22 Kxmode

I swear this argument eventually comes up as if using it somehow ends the discussion.

First, make sure you understand the relevance. The passage of forgiveness has NO bearing here. It is about freely forgiving members of the Christian congregation. The Bible flat out warns people who engage in immoral business dealings. It even condemns them in several passages. See Matthew's account in chapter 21 of Jesus turning over the tables of money changers and merchants who dishonestly sold animals for sacrifices inside the temple.

Second, there are dozens of passages specifically about lying in general. "We wish to conduct ourselves honestly in all things." (Hebrews 13:18) It is one of the sins that God hates. The Bible also condemns people who lie in their business dealings. (Proverbs 11:1) "Dishonest scales are detestable to Jehovah, But an accurate weight brings pleasure to him."

Here, Sean was not "conducting himself honestly in all things," and he employed "dishonest scales" when he talked about his product. He knew full well most of the stuff he pitched would not be in the game at release, and yet he soldiered on without warning the millions who bought it.

In other words, leave God out of this discussion. If you go there, do realize I know and understand the subject matter. This is strictly about a man who engaged in dishonest, business dealings. To me the "crime" has yet to be resolved. His recompense is for me to CONSTANTLY remind people of what he did so that now and years from now they won't forget.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 ó Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

37. Re: No Man's Sky Beyond Announced Mar 15, 2019, 20:33 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Mar 15, 2019, 20:30:
Yeah and there are some things you don't get a pass on no matter what - rape, murder, etc.. This however falls into middle-ground category where it's up to the individual. I don't think his crime warrants eternal damnation, but I'm never going to support the guy and that's that.

This is good, I'll help you this is exactly something that is forgivable. It's a game and only an idiot that is spending $60 critical dollars buys the game without waiting for reviews. Within two days it was known this game wasn't what is was hyped to be, but that was then and this is now and it's a game. A game. As a consumer we all have our standards and choices, that is good. But you will be paying many big corporations dineros each month that have done a lot worse to you than Sean ever could and you know it.

36. Re: No Man's Sky Beyond Announced Mar 15, 2019, 20:30 HorrorScope

jdreyer wrote on Mar 15, 2019, 15:21:
Well, certainly Sean Murray suffers a bit from Peter Molyneux syndrome. He should have never been put in front of a camera in the first place.

Peter really didn't become Peter until he repeated his shenanigans time after time and he never followed up to make right. Sean with one game under his belt if anything was a game that didn't live up to his promise. Peter was/is a different beast, he totally thinks the audience is and ever will be stupid.

35. Re: No Man's Sky Beyond Announced Mar 15, 2019, 20:30 Cutter

Yeah and there are some things you don't get a pass on no matter what - rape, murder, etc.. This however falls into middle-ground category where it's up to the individual. I don't think his crime warrants eternal damnation, but I'm never going to support the guy and that's that.

"Put the pick in there, Pete, and turn it round real neat."

34. Re: No Man's Sky Beyond Announced Mar 15, 2019, 20:03 NKD

Bravery is not a function of firepower.

33. Re: No Man's Sky Beyond Announced Mar 15, 2019, 18:21 Leper

Xero wrote on Mar 15, 2019, 17:47:
I got in on this well beyond the fiasco they had for launch. Plenty of free content updates in and I have to say, the game has it's potential. I just came to the conclusion however that these survival style games (Subnautica) are just not for me.

Too much get this to make that to make this to collect that, to make that to make this. It's like, wtf am I wasting my life doing with this. Too repetitive imo. Who knows, maybe it changed up a heck of a lot with more game hours in. Dunno.

Right? Grinding was bearable back when it was in a MMO when I had a friend over on the spare PC and we were playing with others at their respective houses. That was pretty fun. A lot of these survival games can be fun for a while but they definitely get tedious fast.

32. Re: No Man's Sky Beyond Announced Mar 15, 2019, 17:47 Xero

I got in on this well beyond the fiasco they had for launch. Plenty of free content updates in and I have to say, the game has it's potential. I just came to the conclusion however that these survival style games (Subnautica) are just not for me.

Too much get this to make that to make this to collect that, to make that to make this. It's like, wtf am I wasting my life doing with this. Too repetitive imo. Who knows, maybe it changed up a heck of a lot with more game hours in. Dunno.

Primarily playing ATM: CS Go, DUSK, Ion Maiden, FarCry New Dawn, 20XX

31. Re: No Man's Sky Beyond Announced Mar 15, 2019, 17:42 Overon

Hard to forgive and forget.  

30. Re: No Man's Sky Beyond Announced Mar 15, 2019, 16:41 Kxmode

ItBurn wrote on Mar 15, 2019, 16:22:

I think there should always be a path for people to be forgiven, but I don't feel like he's walked that path yet.

That would be fine except Hello Games sold No Man's Sky for a premium price. The expectations were a feature-complete product. If it were a $60 early access product, then the hope would be promised features are coming but are not in the game now.

The number one rule of any product/project manager is to manage expectations, and the fact is Sean Murray NEVER handled his colossal list of promised features. That says more of his character than anything else. Further, he did this in 2016, the year of the game's launch. So it wasn't as if he didn't know what was in the game. He more than anyone else in his company would know. The truth is he knowingly lied about his product to sell as many units as possible while it was riding a hype train. That's the worst kind of unethical business behavior and in my book morally worse than Pay-2-Win micro-transactions.

There's a reason I have no qualms with Peter Molyneux and Chris Roberts. Neither blatantly lied about what's in their products. I don't consider E3 demos as "lying" because there's always an understanding the final product will always look different than the sizzle demo. The demo is merely a taste of what the final product will look like (pay attention to anything from CDPR for Cyberpunk 2077 this year and temper your expectations). Sean Murray on the other hand straight-up lied to people up to launch.

Now, if Star Citizen and SQ42 launch in a state like No Man's Sky, Chris will inherit the dubious honor of most lies worth $219 million.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 ó Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

29. Re: No Man's Sky Beyond Announced Mar 15, 2019, 16:25 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 15, 2019, 13:14:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 15, 2019, 12:24:
I'm not sure how many free updates these guys have to give out for people to forgive them. They over-promised before release, after release they seem to be working damned hard to deliver, as well as watching what they do promise.
Exactly, now they have proven they can be trusted.
People just like to complain.

A liar can never be trusted. That's a hard truth that's been around since forever.

28. Re: No Man's Sky Beyond Announced Mar 15, 2019, 16:22 ItBurn

I think there should always be a path for people to be forgiven, but I don't feel like he's walked that path yet.

27. Re: No Man's Sky Beyond Announced Mar 15, 2019, 16:19 Kxmode

26. Re: No Man's Sky Beyond Announced Mar 15, 2019, 16:02 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Mar 15, 2019, 15:10:
I'm developing a procedurally generated game about space using Euclidian geometry.

I'm calling it "No Man's Pi"

Which is ironic considering No Man's Sky stores a finite number of "galaxies." Galaxy code gets stored in a binary hex where 00 is the starting galaxy, and FF is the 255th galaxy. After you reach the 255th galaxy, the game's procedural engine breaks. At that point, you fall into a loop where reaching the center restarts the adventure with no changes in the galaxy (e.g., there's no ending). Maybe that's why Sean and his team introduced the Foundation update. As long as people waste time building their base, they're not reaching the point of parabolic infinity.

25. Re: No Man's Sky Beyond Announced Mar 15, 2019, 15:55 Creston

Overheard at EA's corporate office: "No Microtransactions?! How can you even call it a game then??!"

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo