Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Op Ed

The New Yorker - The Division 2 and the Severing of Politics from Video Games.
"This sort of strategy—an eagerness to borrow the aesthetics and frisson of a political theme without addressing that theme explicitly—faces its own criticism, both from players and from those who work in the industry. Far Cry 5, a recent game from Ubisoft, was set in rural Montana, and saw you play as a local cop facing civil disobedience from a fanatical militia group. The substance of the game was similar to previous entries in the Far Cry series, which were set in places such as Africa, the Himalayas, and Micronesia, but in relocating to Trump-era America—a more proximate locale for much of the game’s audience—the game appeared to reflect current affairs. This, in turn, created an expectation that the game’s developers would supply a commentary that they did not, in fact, provide. For critics, exploiting only the superficial aspects of the setting was both opportunistic and a waste of a valuable platform. "

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Op Ed Mar 17, 2019, 19:26 Prez

Beamer wrote on Mar 17, 2019, 14:44:
Most Republicans are over 40. They buy very few shoes, and not ones with high profit margin. Therefore, pissing them off is actually good business for Nike.

Also, plenty if the Republicans here are selfish, and hokd despicable views. People proudly refuse their money. Amazing how frequently people don't realize that. Not every customer is the same, nor are they all desirable. Best way to ruin a brand is to put it on the feet of a 40+ year old dude in a MAGA hat.

Well they may not buy many Air Jordans but they still play videogames. Why piss them off if you don't have to?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Op Ed Mar 17, 2019, 15:30 Sepharo

Eirikrautha wrote on Mar 17, 2019, 11:02:
Speaking out against racism and genocide isn't what those critical of game companies want, either. They want game companies to make direct, identifiable allegory in which the political ideas and figures they love (and hate) are readily identifiable. They want their own narrow, shallow American political opinions represented everywhere, so they can feel comfortable and safe in their intellectual hug-boxes. The Marvel comic a few years back where MODOC was drawn as Trump is their idea of "political" commentary: vapid, simplistic, and moralizing. They want other forms of media to portray their ideas as noble and good, just the way that they do themselves.

Understand, the asshats at the New Yorker make their living pandering to the dwindling subscriber base that not just shares their political ideas, but makes them the center of their entire being. These are the people that can't discuss the weather, sports, the last family picnic without wedging Trump, neo-nazis, or the "alt-right" in their discussion somewhere (we have a few of those pathetic types here on Blue's). They are the ultimate cultural colonists, expecting everyone else to care about their Western ideas of society, politics, gender, sex, etc. (see how they demand Japanese companies cater to western sensibilities... the very definition of cultural colonization). They put food on their table by making everything about American politics (with the occasional Brexit thrown in), so they expect everyone else to do the same. Game companies must sell products to be successful; journalists sell their own verbal diarrhea. So these writers get all upset that companies are unwilling to alienate a portion of their market just to virtue signal.

As Michael Jordan once said, "Republicans buy sneakers, too."

Resident culture warrior complains about culture warriors.

27. Re: Op Ed Mar 17, 2019, 14:44 Beamer

Most Republicans are over 40. They buy very few shoes, and not ones with high profit margin. Therefore, pissing them off is actually good business for Nike.

Also, plenty if the Republicans here are selfish, and hokd despicable views. People proudly refuse their money. Amazing how frequently people don't realize that. Not every customer is the same, nor are they all desirable. Best way to ruin a brand is to put it on the feet of a 40+ year old dude in a MAGA hat.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

26. Re: Op Ed Mar 17, 2019, 14:09 Prez

Game companies must sell products to be successful; journalists sell their own verbal diarrhea. So these writers get all upset that companies are unwilling to alienate a portion of their market just to virtue signal.

Yep. It's amazing to me how many people don't get this.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

25. Re: Op Ed Mar 17, 2019, 11:02 Eirikrautha

Speaking out against racism and genocide isn't what those critical of game companies want, either. They want game companies to make direct, identifiable allegory in which the political ideas and figures they love (and hate) are readily identifiable. They want their own narrow, shallow American political opinions represented everywhere, so they can feel comfortable and safe in their intellectual hug-boxes. The Marvel comic a few years back where MODOC was drawn as Trump is their idea of "political" commentary: vapid, simplistic, and moralizing. They want other forms of media to portray their ideas as noble and good, just the way that they do themselves.

Understand, the asshats at the New Yorker make their living pandering to the dwindling subscriber base that not just shares their political ideas, but makes them the center of their entire being. These are the people that can't discuss the weather, sports, the last family picnic without wedging Trump, neo-nazis, or the "alt-right" in their discussion somewhere (we have a few of those pathetic types here on Blue's). They are the ultimate cultural colonists, expecting everyone else to care about their Western ideas of society, politics, gender, sex, etc. (see how they demand Japanese companies cater to western sensibilities... the very definition of cultural colonization). They put food on their table by making everything about American politics (with the occasional Brexit thrown in), so they expect everyone else to do the same. Game companies must sell products to be successful; journalists sell their own verbal diarrhea. So these writers get all upset that companies are unwilling to alienate a portion of their market just to virtue signal.

24. Re: Op Ed Mar 16, 2019, 11:20 Prez

Racism and genocide are not politics. They're abhorrent regardless of party. If Far Cry 5 had an overt message of " this could really happen under our current administration!" THAT would be the kind of politics that I am vehemently against in gaming. The kind that the morons at Polygon apparently want to see. Making the villains racist religious fanatics,as with Nazis, is easy because unless you are one yourself everyone hates them.

The Witcher series handled politics within its game world the best imo because it portrayed conflicts like segregation and class warfare that parallel many real world ones tactfully and without preaching. It used it to create a believable, relatable world, not to prove how woke the devs are or make some SJW (yeah I went there) hack tabloid site happy.

This comment was edited on Mar 16, 2019, 11:37.

- Mahatma Gandhi

23. Re: Op Ed Mar 16, 2019, 06:55 Jonjonz

Buzzit... Wrong!

Games are art and free speech, so do stop getting your knickers in a twist when one takes issue with racism or genocide.

There is nothing outside a person that by going in can defile, but things that come out are what defile.
Mark 7:1-8, 14-15, 21-23

22. Re: Re: Mar 15, 2019, 23:58 jacobvandy

Beamer wrote on Mar 15, 2019, 17:02:
I mean, they seemed to be building a story about a white nationalist christian cult. Then, it was just bland villains with bland motivation. It totally avoided any kind of commentary around that, and could have been placed in any country at any time in history.

There were black guys in the cult, they just aren't very numerous in somewhere like Montana... Anyway, I'm pretty sure your "commentary" lies more in the ambient details of the world, you just have to pay closer attention to notice. In particular, it seems that some of the cult's ideals aren't that crazy, not that the game gives you much choice but to oppose them. It's subtle because they still want their game to sell to a wide audience, which I guess is the point the article is making. But I disagree that it is really needed.

21. Re: Re: Mar 15, 2019, 22:06 Prez

Some people in here are conflating politics with other things. Since when is "corporations are evil, greed-driven, and unconcerned with the good of humanity" a political statement??? If that is political then virtually every plot point in every game ever made is political in nature. But it's definitely not what I consider politics in games.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

20. Re: Op Ed Mar 15, 2019, 18:35 Suckage

Could it be just that we're trying to find meaning in a game because its setting speaks to us?
I don't remember such a debate taking place about Far Cry 2's story despite it also being very much rooted in the reality of certain parts of the African continent...

19. Re: Re: Mar 15, 2019, 17:02 Beamer

Prez wrote on Mar 15, 2019, 13:52:
Beamer wrote on Mar 15, 2019, 13:46:
Prez wrote on Mar 15, 2019, 13:40:
Beamer wrote on Mar 15, 2019, 13:29:
Prez wrote on Mar 15, 2019, 13:22:
Beamer wrote on Mar 15, 2019, 13:18:
Far Cry's problem was that it acted like it wanted to be a political game, and set itself in a deeply political and current situation, then did nothing with it.

Uncanny Valley of having something to say. Of the 3 FCs of that time, it was the most vapid, and the plot by far the least fun or engaging.

I didn't realize militant Christian separists press-ganging small town America into taking over the country was somehow a mirror of current events.

White people using religion as an excuse to arm themselves? Committing terrorism as a claim that it's in defense?

Sounds pretty much ripped from the headlines. Taken to video game extremes, but, I mean, ask Christchurch how real this feels.

It's no more a thing now than it was after Ruby Ridge and Waco. Id argue it's far less. The worst terrorist attack in US history by an American happened over 25 years ago and was committed by an armed Christian separatist . We should have gotten on devs of the nineties for not addressing these in their games. Oh but I forget, we weren't as "woke" back then...

Sometimes I wish we as a society were still asleep. That ought to draw the ire of a few crusaders...

Yeah, but you know this is in the headlines constantly. This is all people talk about on reddit and stuff. We have actual white supremacists marching in the streets with some regularity for the first time in 50 years. People keep dying, particularly brown people in places of worship.

FC5 positioned itself as addressing that. Then it just... didn't.

What exactly were they supposed to do to address it? Not being a dick - just curious. Because they were obviously the villains of the game. Isn't that commentary enough? I honestly just don't get what it would take to satisfy people.

I know you're not being a dick. I'm not, either, hope you know that. Text can come across as super short.

I mean, they seemed to be building a story about a white nationalist christian cult. Then, it was just bland villains with bland motivation. It totally avoided any kind of commentary around that, and could have been placed in any country at any time in history.

-------------

18. Re: Op Ed Mar 15, 2019, 16:19 RedEye9

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 15, 2019, 15:32:
WaltC wrote on Mar 15, 2019, 12:34:
So-called government shutdowns are way over-hyped and exaggerated every time they occur

I can here my father in law now, tell that to those that aren't getting paychecks.
Your father in law sounds like a wise man.

I want to shut the noise out and reconnect to my inner thoughts on the road to feeling more at one with myself. Fleabag

17. Re: Op Ed Mar 15, 2019, 15:32 HorrorScope

WaltC wrote on Mar 15, 2019, 12:34:
So-called government shutdowns are way over-hyped and exaggerated every time they occur

I can here my father in law now, tell that to those that aren't getting paychecks.

I'm all for games with current themes in them, movies/tv have never had any problem or scrutiny doing so. It's fiction with some slant to reality to make it more intriguing.

16. Re: Op Ed Mar 15, 2019, 15:03 Veinman

It sure would be terrible if a game made you think about something. Games are art, and art is often political. Get over it.

People tend to only bitch about it when they see something that doesn't fit *their* politics.

Doom is about an evil corporation destroying anything in its path in the name of profits. Yep, pure fantasy.

15. Re: Op Ed Mar 15, 2019, 14:27 Primalchrome

....almost all games are influenced by the politics and social commentary of the time. Most aren't overt about it...but squealing neckbeards and SJW's would love to make you think so.

"There's a trans NPC in my game! They're trying to force their politics on me!"

"There's a religious leader leading the holy against an oppressive US gubment! They're trying to force their politics on me!"

"That game has a cacodemon in it! It is a tool of satan trying to force their politics on me!"

"The Division shows armed citizenry overthrowing the government. They're trying to force their politics on me!"

It's just silly children that want to think they're special and being heard.

14. Re: Op Ed Mar 15, 2019, 14:07 Cutter

The politics of dancing...the politics of oooh feeling good....

"Put the pick in there, Pete, and turn it round real neat."

13. Re: Re: Mar 15, 2019, 13:52 Prez

Beamer wrote on Mar 15, 2019, 13:46:
Far Cry's problem was that it acted like it wanted to be a political game, and set itself in a deeply political and current situation, then did nothing with it.

Uncanny Valley of having something to say. Of the 3 FCs of that time, it was the most vapid, and the plot by far the least fun or engaging.

I didn't realize militant Christian separists press-ganging small town America into taking over the country was somehow a mirror of current events.

White people using religion as an excuse to arm themselves? Committing terrorism as a claim that it's in defense?

Sounds pretty much ripped from the headlines. Taken to video game extremes, but, I mean, ask Christchurch how real this feels.

It's no more a thing now than it was after Ruby Ridge and Waco. Id argue it's far less. The worst terrorist attack in US history by an American happened over 25 years ago and was committed by an armed Christian separatist . We should have gotten on devs of the nineties for not addressing these in their games. Oh but I forget, we weren't as "woke" back then...

Sometimes I wish we as a society were still asleep. That ought to draw the ire of a few crusaders...

Yeah, but you know this is in the headlines constantly. This is all people talk about on reddit and stuff. We have actual white supremacists marching in the streets with some regularity for the first time in 50 years. People keep dying, particularly brown people in places of worship.

What exactly were they supposed to do to address it? Not being a dick - just curious. Because they were obviously the villains of the game. Isn't that commentary enough? I honestly just don't get what it would take to satisfy people.

- Mahatma Gandhi

12. Re: Re: Mar 15, 2019, 13:46 Beamer

-------------

11. Re: Re: Mar 15, 2019, 13:40 Prez

- Mahatma Gandhi

10. Re: Re: Mar 15, 2019, 13:29 Beamer

-------------

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo