Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Steam Link Anywhere Beta

Valve celebrates the coming of the Game Developers Conference with the launch of two new services on Steam. Here are details on the beta of Steam Link Anywhere and the release of Steam Networking Sockets APIs:

As the industry prepares for next week's GDC, Valve has launched two new service features for Steam - Steam Link Anywhere and the Steam Networking Sockets APIs.

Steam Link Anywhere, an extension of the Steam Link functionality that allows you to connect to your computer and play games from anywhere, is now available in early beta. The service is available free of charge to all Steam users through the Steam Link hardware or the Steam Link app, and can be used to connect to any computer running Steam. Note: A high upload speed from your computer and strong network connection to your Steam Link device are required to use Steam Link Anywhere. More information is available here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/353380/discussions/0/3362406825533023360/

Today Valve also released the Steam Networking Sockets APIs, which give all Steam developers access to the technologies and infrastructure built to support CS:GO and Dota 2. This enables you to relay your game traffic over Valve's private gaming network, giving your players faster and more secure connections. The service is offered free of charge to Steam developers and a large portion of the API has been open-sourced. A more detailed write may be found here: https://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamworks#announcements/detail/1791775741704351698

Available now, these updates and other new features coming to Steam will be discussed at next Thursday's Steam Platform Update talk at GDC, happening at 12:45 pm in Moscone West Hall 2011.

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 16, 2019, 08:08 eRe4s3r

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Mar 15, 2019, 11:36:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 15, 2019, 03:20:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Mar 15, 2019, 02:17:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 15, 2019, 00:42:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Mar 14, 2019, 23:18:
The streaming generation is upon us. major players all getting a horse in the race right now

Steamlink is so that YOU can stream to YOUR TV's or others, assuming you have a 10mbit upload speed..... ^^

yeah I own a couple. the point is that they are refining their streaming tech and making it as compatible and wide-spread as possible, and while streaming from your pc may be the only thing it can really do now, its not crazy to think they can easily tap into that foundation with a remote streaming service when the time is right.

Yeah but considering steamlink can not go beyond 1080p 30fps I don't think that's really future proof

I use 1080p 60 from my steam link all the time. it would be quite useless with a 30fps cap, IMO. looks even better when you use DSR/supersampling and then stream the supersampled image @ 1080p60, if you have the available overhead and a game that isnt particularly latency sensitive.

Yeah minor brain-fart, I was thinking of something else, 1080 60fps obviously

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 15, 2019, 11:36 Mordecai Walfish

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 15, 2019, 03:20:
The streaming generation is upon us. major players all getting a horse in the race right now

Steamlink is so that YOU can stream to YOUR TV's or others, assuming you have a 10mbit upload speed..... ^^

yeah I own a couple. the point is that they are refining their streaming tech and making it as compatible and wide-spread as possible, and while streaming from your pc may be the only thing it can really do now, its not crazy to think they can easily tap into that foundation with a remote streaming service when the time is right.

Yeah but considering steamlink can not go beyond 1080p 30fps I don't think that's really future proof

I use 1080p 60 from my steam link all the time. it would be quite useless with a 30fps cap, IMO. looks even better when you use DSR/supersampling and then stream the supersampled image @ 1080p60, if you have the available overhead and a game that isnt particularly latency sensitive.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 15, 2019, 03:20 eRe4s3r

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 15, 2019, 02:17 Mordecai Walfish

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 15, 2019, 00:42 eRe4s3r

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 14, 2019, 23:18 Mordecai Walfish

1. Re: Steam Link Anywhere Beta Mar 14, 2019, 21:18 Jivaro

This should be interesting.  

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo