Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

DCS F-14 Tomcat Takes Off

Heatblur's DCS F-14 Tomcat DLC for DCS World has launched (thanks Numinar). This can be picked up on Steam for the DCS World Steam Edition and from the DCS E-Shop and the Heatblur Store for the non-Steam version of the virtual battlefield. There's a post in the DCS forums also mentioning where to buy this in Russia and South Korea, and warning that keys picked up from sketchy sellers will not work, saying, "Any DCS World keys purchased from other sources are invalid and are simply trying to re-sell keys that are bound to other users or purchased through fraud. Such sites include Kinguin, CDExpress and G2A." Ride into the danger zone in this launch trailer and read on for the full flight plan:

The F-14 Tomcat was a two-crew, variable geometry, maritime air superiority fighter that served with the US Navy for 32 years and continues to serve with the IRIAF in Iran. The F-14 was the US Navy's frontline fighter from the 1970s until the mid 2000s. Over the course of its long service life it also became the US Navy’s premier precision ground-attack platform and lone airborne reconnaissance asset.

Outstanding features of the aircraft are the swing-wing configuration, crew of two, and the powerful AN/AWG-9 Weapons Control System (WCS) and radar. The AWG-9 allows employment of the powerful AIM-54 Phoenix air to air missile while the LANTIRN pod allows the ability to carry out precision ground strikes using laser guided bombs. The F-14 Tomcat was present during many pivotal historic moments such as the two Gulf of Sidra incidents, Operation Desert storm in Iraq, the conflict in Yugoslavia, Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan and Operation Iraqi Freedom. It was also immortalized in the iconic motion picture, Top Gun, and starred in several other feature films including The Final Countdown, Executive Decision, and others.

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: DCS F-14 Tomcat Takes Off Mar 15, 2019, 03:10 Numinar

jdreyer wrote on Mar 14, 2019, 23:49:
Thanks, Numinar. Sold, but I'm going to wait for a sale. I have a HOTAS, but I'll use my VR headset instead of Track IR.

I still can't believe that they got the rights to use those songs in that trailer.

Yeah sale would be super worth it, as with almost every game/module. There will less bugs, more missions and better documents/tutorials/youtubes by the time you get it as well so it will be a better ramp on experience for you, it's the wild west right now. I would have waited as well but my old man is in waaaaaay deeper than me and we like to learn them together. Classic multiplayer social pressure sale.

I know from the F-18 that it's super frustrating when you are on tilt and you've made 12 bolters and are down to a few hundred pounds of fuel and you can feel the panic making it worse just like the guy who washes out at the start of the film. But that makes it all the more satisfying when you do trap. This plane seems even more rewarding for that. The boat seems smaller in this monster that is for sure.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: DCS F-14 Tomcat Takes Off Mar 14, 2019, 23:49 jdreyer

Thanks, Numinar. Sold, but I'm going to wait for a sale. I have a HOTAS, but I'll use my VR headset instead of Track IR.

I still can't believe that they got the rights to use those songs in that trailer.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

8. Re: DCS F-14 Tomcat Takes Off Mar 14, 2019, 21:02 Numinar

jdreyer wrote on Mar 14, 2019, 20:45:
Wish I had time to learn this.

Nobody has time to learn it properly. The real pilots trained for thousands of hours and memorised 1000 page manuals and had to pass 6 hour oral exams and did hundreds of dry landing before crashing into a boat. Since you wont die or get fired from your dream job you can learn a bastard casual version of it though.

And have fun. Any time you would spend in any game is enough to enjoy DCS.

It's much harder than the F18, but everything is. That thing is basically a (very fun) videogame. But Even with less than an hour under my belt it's rewarding.

I used to think these sims were for grognards only and that calling them games was a crime. But they can be games. They are appropriate for people to enjoy however they want to (Outside MP servers that will have certain rules, but most are fairly chill).

Have a few whiskeys, Watch a quickstart youtube video. Print a startup checklist or just start a warm start mission so you can punch throttle and go.

Cost is the main problem, each plane costs as much as a full price game. And working out what buttons to bind when there isn't a good diagram to go off of. (As with this module. I'm sure someone will put a guide together eventually)

I've got mostly hand me down stuff but it's a lot of money to get started. You really want a decent HOTAS and trackIR. Pedals for warbirds or any plane unless your stick has twist, which some people say isn't enough but I'm ok with that. I also don't do PvP which has a lot to do with it.

But time? Don't worry about it. If you have time for any normal game you have time for this. You do need to fly every week to remember the basics, but I still take months off and can come back to it fairly quickly. You can learn a little each night and find it very rewarding. I tend to watch a video, play for a few hours, rewatch video and play a few hours more a few days later to lock it in. Also find someone to learn with. Failing together is fun, and learning all the little idiosyncrasies together helps speed it up.

7. Re: DCS F-14 Tomcat Takes Off Mar 14, 2019, 20:45 jdreyer

Wish I had time to learn this.  

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

6. Re: DCS F-14 Tomcat Takes Off Mar 14, 2019, 19:39 Jedi Master

I saw MiG-25, MiG-23, and MiG-29 in that along with a couple that were too far away to identify, but no Su-27s. Of course, DCS World has plenty of Flankers, the 27, the 33, and the J-11 now as well.  

5. Re: DCS F-14 Tomcat Takes Off Mar 14, 2019, 13:06 VaranDragon

Very resource intensive. In Multiplayer at least. No problems with the included single player missions and tutorials.

I've already shot down the Su27 in the guns only fight. Gotta say Im loving the module so far, but it will punish those who punish her.

Not attempted a carrier landing yet. Still perfecting landing on land. She likes to float, however using the DLC it seems to be harder for some reason. Im probably doing it wrong.

Jester AI works like a charm. However he tends to be pretty terrible at catching contacts on radar within 10nm. It's probably to do with the radar cone and range setting, or it could be a bug.

Everything else is absolutely awsome so far. Sounds, cockpit shake, flight model, etc. and the Phoenix is a beast.

4. Re: DCS F-14 Tomcat Takes Off Mar 14, 2019, 10:43 Qbex .

Nerd boner jams for days, that Ruskie plane is a Fulcrum. I know I'm going to buy this module and prolly never play it before 2020, I have to start with F5 module I bought a while ago and make it up the complication ladder as I go, damn lack of time...  

3. Re: DCS F-14 Tomcat Takes Off Mar 14, 2019, 10:36 Numinar

VaranDragon wrote on Mar 14, 2019, 10:10:
What Im playing (learning) at the moment.

I spent all of ten minutes so far in it, really need to hit the books. But the dozens of hours on F18 got me a 1 wire on first attempt! Bind something to DLC though or it will be a nasty deck settle like literally every landing I make. I don't think I've ever seen the meatball I'm so off scope.

It looks and sounds so good though. Seems like a much livelier, fully featured module than ED's official ones. Can't wait to casually learn to be terrible at it. I don't have the time or inclination to memorise the natops cover to cover but it dosn't seem like that will be necessary. It's still way easier than the warbirds I've tried.

For something that is intended as a two person aircraft it seems doable solo with AI so that is good. But all that weapons/radar/ecm stuff that is no longer needed on the stick/throttle is now needed for analogue flaps, wing sweep and some other nonsense and I reckon HOTAS setup is harder than getting a wire. Was hoping there would be good default bindings for popular sticks.

2. Re: DCS F-14 Tomcat Takes Off Mar 14, 2019, 10:22 Cutter

Gotta' admit that looks pretty effin sweet. If I could do it all over again I think I'd have gone that naval aviator route. That Ruskie plane toward the end, was that an SU-27?

"Cougar, we've got to land this thing. We are way low on gas."

"Put the pick in there, Pete, and turn it round real neat."

1. Re: DCS F-14 Tomcat Takes Off Mar 14, 2019, 10:10 VaranDragon

What Im playing (learning) at the moment.  

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo