Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Dwarf Fortress Coming to Steam

An announcement on Patreon reveals plans to bring Dwarf Fortress to Steam and itch.io, offering a new version of this roguelike updated with a new tile set and enhanced graphics and audio (thanks Primalchrome). Those who love the free-to-play original and its stark ASCII graphics will be relieved to learn they plan on releasing this as Dwarf Fortress Classic, which they say will be "always updated and available." Here's a trailer briefly showing off the updated version, and the announcement outlines the full plan:

Hey everybody! We mentioned a big announcement on the development log, and here it is: Dwarf Fortress is coming to Steam and itch with a new tile set, and generally enhanced graphics and audio. We'll continue updating and releasing the free ASCII version on the Bay 12 web page as Dwarf Fortress Classic.

We don't talk about this much, but for many years, Zach has been on expensive medication, which has fortunately been covered by his healthcare. It's a source of constant concern, as the plan has changed a few times and as the political environment has shifted. We have other family health risks, and as we get older, the precariousness of our situation increases; after Zach's latest cancer scare, we determined that with my healthcare plan's copay etc., I'd be wiped out if I had to undergo the same procedures. That said, crowdfunding is by far our main source of income and the reason we're still here. Your support is still crucial, as the Steam release may or may not bring us the added stability we're seeking now and it's some months away.

We're going to finish the villain release first and get it stabilized before I complete the coding required to support the new graphics. But the artists are already hard at work!

Here's a (very short) trailer, including some in-game footage with new art, transparency, and some other goodies: Trailer

And here's more of the tile art (this image is 1920x1080 so you might have to zoom in, not in-game):

There are a few more examples over on the store pages: Steam, itch.io

The graphics are being made possible by Kitfox Games and Tanya X. Short (we co-edited a few books together, I've known her for years, and we can count on her to do an awesome job.) She's contracted Mike Mayday and Meph, who've both been with the modding community for many years. Zach and I are working closely with them as they create a tile set that fits the game and meshes well with our underlying code. Tanya has also brought on a talented composer and SFX designer, Dabu, who has already created several musical tracks and some sound effects. Even though this change was brought about by uncertainty and concern, now that we're on this path, we're determined to make an excellent go of it with underlying changes in accessibility and modding which redound to everybody, no matter which version they play.

When the Steam version is released, people that choose to pick it up will get the new graphical tiles, new music and audio, as well as Steam Workshop integration. The people that stick with Dwarf Fortress Classic will still get all of the upcoming Dwarf Fortress features as we add them, and modders will also be able to utilize the new graphical capabilities you can see above in their own creations.

Thanks to all of you who've been with us through the years. It's always going to be important to us to bring you a free Dwarf Fortress that anybody can just download and play, and we're only able to do that because of your support. The addition of this new version should be pretty cool as well, and we're looking forward to having a future together!

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Dwarf Fortress Coming to Steam Mar 14, 2019, 14:03 jdreyer

Primalchrome wrote on Mar 14, 2019, 12:22:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 14, 2019, 02:57:
Beyond Rimworld, what are some other games in this genre?
Oxygen Not Included. Prison Architect (kinda). Kenshi. Stonehearth.

MisterBenn is right....DF and Rimworld are the two best in the genre. DF takes a more macro view. Rimworld personalizes your pawns. There's nothing like having a Doctor with the sociopath trait. You can have your medbay fully stocked with 'donor' organs and limbs from prisoners.....all while getting valuable surgery experience!
I enjoyed Rimworld, but am reticent to return to it. I spent 60 hours building an amazing base, but was still incredibly far from getting off the planet, so I moved on to something else.

I have Oxygen Not Included in my wish list, so I'll check that out. Thanks!

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Dwarf Fortress Coming to Steam Mar 14, 2019, 12:22 Primalchrome

jdreyer wrote on Mar 14, 2019, 02:57:
Oxygen Not Included. Prison Architect (kinda). Kenshi. Stonehearth.

MisterBenn is right....DF and Rimworld are the two best in the genre. DF takes a more macro view. Rimworld personalizes your pawns. There's nothing like having a Doctor with the sociopath trait. You can have your medbay fully stocked with 'donor' organs and limbs from prisoners.....all while getting valuable surgery experience!

11. Re: Dwarf Fortress Coming to Steam Mar 14, 2019, 10:04 MisterBenn

Dwarf Fortress and Rimworld are basically the standouts in their field, I don't know of anything else of a similar size in the same space. These are not exactly the same, but maybe Prison Architect or Banished with mods?

Edit: Oxygen not Included maybe? Or an early access game more similar to Dwarf Fortress: Odd Realm. Haven't seen it played though.

10. Re: Morning Patches Mar 14, 2019, 09:27 TheBigVlad

intermarer wrote on Mar 14, 2019, 03:12:
Don't know much about it, but have a look at Caves of Qud maybe?

Caves of Qud is worth looking into, but I personally I found it just depressing and completely devoid of any joy at all. Take my opinion with a grain of salt though because I'm generally not into those kinds of games anyway. I prefer Dwarf Fortress and Rimworld because of the base building and management aspect, and Caves of Qud doesn't have that. It basically plays like the adventure mode in Dwarf Fortress. So you might like it if that's what you're into.

9. Re: Dwarf Fortress Coming to Steam Mar 14, 2019, 03:12 intermarer

Don't know much about it, but have a look at Caves of Qud maybe?  

8. Re: Dwarf Fortress Coming to Steam Mar 14, 2019, 02:57 jdreyer

Primalchrome wrote on Mar 13, 2019, 21:40:
Same. I'm going to buy it just to show support. The graphics/UI have been what's held me back this long. It won't be as funny as Rimworld, but the mechanics are much deeper.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

7. Re: Dwarf Fortress Coming to Steam Mar 14, 2019, 02:55 jdreyer

phinn wrote on Mar 13, 2019, 20:32:
Steam support sounds awesome hopefully these guys make some money and keep this awesome project moving.

One vote for RTX and Vulkan features next /s

VR or GTFO.

6. Re: Dwarf Fortress Coming to Steam Mar 13, 2019, 23:33 Task

So that's what Dwarf Fortress looks like with RTX On.  

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

5. Re: Dwarf Fortress Coming to Steam Mar 13, 2019, 21:40 Primalchrome

Same. I'm going to buy it just to show support. The graphics/UI have been what's held me back this long. It won't be as funny as Rimworld, but the mechanics are much deeper.  

4. Re: Morning Patches Mar 13, 2019, 20:40 TheBigVlad

Looks neat but I hope they overhaul the dreadful UI. That is the only thing that could get me to buy it on Steam and use it over the free version.  

3. Re: Dwarf Fortress Coming to Steam Mar 13, 2019, 20:32 phinn

Steam support sounds awesome hopefully these guys make some money and keep this awesome project moving.

One vote for RTX and Vulkan features next /s

2. Re: Dwarf Fortress Coming to Steam Mar 13, 2019, 20:10 Cutter

I'd buy that for a dollar!

"Put the pick in there, Pete, and turn it round real neat."

1. Re: Dwarf Fortress Coming to Steam Mar 13, 2019, 18:41 MoreLuckThanSkill

Meh, why would anybody care... HOLY FUCK an added graphics pack!

Of course, old school DF people could already use their own graphics add ons, but this looks much more user friendly. Hopefully it sells pretty well, I'll probably buy a copy just to contribute to one of the most hardcore independent game developers to have ever lived.

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo