Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Phoenix Point an Epic Games Store Exclusive

Upcoming turn-based tactics game Phoenix Point will launch on the Epic Games Store as a one-year exclusive, as explained by a post on the Phoenix Point website (thanks Orosian). Snapshot Games CEO and Phoenix Point creative director Julian Gollop makes the announcement and explains what this means to this spiritual successor to the X-COM series he created back in the 1990s. This news is not being received very well, as there is considerable backlash in the comments on Fig from those who have supported the game's crowdfunding efforts (thanks Scott). In an effort to smooth things over Snapshot is offering a season pass of sorts, as those who have backed the project will receive the first year of DLC for free. They will be holding an AMA on the Phoenix Point subreddit today at 3:00 pm EDT to discuss this future. Here are the details:

Hi! I’m Julian Gollop, the creative director of Phoenix Point and the CEO of Snapshot Games.

I have some major news to share: we have signed a deal with Epic Games to bring Phoenix Point exclusively to the Epic Games Store for its first year of release on PC and Mac.

This deal is a real game changer for our studio, because, thanks to Epic’s support, it is certain that we will be able to update and expand Phoenix Point for years to come.

We want to share our success with all the backers who have helped us get here, so we have a special benefit to announce: if you backed or pre-ordered Phoenix Point at any time since our crowdfunding campaign until today, you will receive a year of free DLC.

That’s right - every piece of paid DLC we release for Phoenix Point during our first year will be automatically added to your Epic Store account when you redeem your key.

We recognize that some of you may have backed or pre-ordered Phoenix Point with an expectation of the platform you’d be able to play it on, and that this update changes that.

If for any reason you are not happy with this change, we will be happy to offer you a full refund and apologize for any inconvenience caused.

If you have any questions, check out the FAQ below for answers.

We will be hosting an AMA on the Phoenix Point subreddit tomorrow - please stop by and we’ll do our best to answer any more questions you have for us.

That’s tomorrow, Wednesday March 13th on the Phoenix Point subreddit at 12pm Pacific time, 7pm UK time. We’ll update this post with the link when the AMA goes live.

I’d like to thank you for all your support, and I’m looking forward to sharing more of what we’ve been working on with you very soon.

View
104 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

24. Re: Phoenix Point an Epic Games Store Exclusive Mar 13, 2019, 12:11 Nate

Leper wrote on Mar 13, 2019, 11:32:
This deal may have been the only viable path forward to finish the game properly. Assuming that, what would you rather have - a buggy mess on Steam or a polished product on Epic? I guess we'll just have to wait for the reviews to see if it was worth it.

Yes, this is a win for me as a backer. They have more money to spend on the game's development.

Epic also takes a much smaller percentage than Steam. Higher returns for game developers is a good thing.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Phoenix Point an Epic Games Store Exclusive Mar 13, 2019, 12:10 Flatline

I might be in the minority to not give much of a shit this is happening. I already have a bunch of different storefronts on my PC. They suck, but thems the breaks. Steam is... Okay. I don't buy as much on it as I used to (my current platform if I have a choice is still GOG), but I feel pretty ambivalent towards Valve these days.

Anyway, Phoenix Point looks tasty. It's on my radar and this might be what leverages me into the Epic store. That's the whole point anyway.

22. Re: Phoenix Point an Epic Games Store Exclusive Mar 13, 2019, 12:08 jdreyer

Numinar wrote on Mar 13, 2019, 11:32:
Slashman wrote on Mar 13, 2019, 10:56:
Primalchrome wrote on Mar 13, 2019, 10:29:
In what is a sort of response to accusations of anti-consumer practices and the fact that the Epic Games Store lacks all but the most basic aspects of the Steam client....

Sergey Galyonkin (@galyonkin), Director of Publishing Strategy for Epic Games Store, liked the tweet from popular russian gaming-and-pop culture account @turbojedi which reads: ”The most remarkable thing about the whole Epic Games Store movement is gamers, who are accustomed to the fact that videogame developers/publishers owe them something by default, finally discover that unpleasant aggressive assholes with hysteric requirements are sometimes still sent to fuck off.”

Okay...I won't buy your game then.

At some point Epic is going to have to compete with something besides paying off game devs for exclusivity. Because if that is their strategy going forward it is going to be rather expensive.

As evidenced by the fact that the developer can comfortably offer refunds. That says a lot about their financial status. Epic is footing the bill.

Well, they have a publishing arm as well as a storefront. I guess it is kind of weird to run both those businesses. Petrol stations can be a little like this though, and I am sure there are other similar models.

Apple has a vertical stack too. One of the reasons I hate them.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

21. Re: Phoenix Point an Epic Games Store Exclusive Mar 13, 2019, 11:50 Numinar

Burrito of Peace wrote on Mar 13, 2019, 11:45:
How To Further Encourage Piracy 101.

I don't know if pirates need encouragement. I've been there. The main motivator is having inadequate disposable income to buy the hot shit you desperately want (And if I was in my teens/early 20's a new game from Xcom man would probably qualify). I'm sure some people pirate for political/self-justifying ethical reasons though. I wonder what the percentages really are on motivation.

20. Re: Phoenix Point an Epic Games Store Exclusive Mar 13, 2019, 11:45 Burrito of Peace

How To Further Encourage Piracy 101.  

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

19. Re: Phoenix Point an Epic Games Store Exclusive Mar 13, 2019, 11:40 BIGtrouble77

Leper wrote on Mar 13, 2019, 11:32:
This deal may have been the only viable path forward to finish the game properly. Assuming that, what would you rather have - a buggy mess on Steam or a polished product on Epic? I guess we'll just have to wait for the reviews to see if it was worth it.
It's not about finishing the game or it being buggy.. It's about the fact that Gollop just secured funding for his studio for an entire year courtesy of Epic games. After the year is up he's free to release it anywhere else he pleases. The decision was all about the survival of his studio. Exclusives suck, but I see why he did it.

18. Re: Phoenix Point an Epic Games Store Exclusive Mar 13, 2019, 11:32 Leper

17. Re: Phoenix Point an Epic Games Store Exclusive Mar 13, 2019, 11:32 Numinar

Slashman wrote on Mar 13, 2019, 10:56:
In what is a sort of response to accusations of anti-consumer practices and the fact that the Epic Games Store lacks all but the most basic aspects of the Steam client....

Sergey Galyonkin (@galyonkin), Director of Publishing Strategy for Epic Games Store, liked the tweet from popular russian gaming-and-pop culture account @turbojedi which reads: ”The most remarkable thing about the whole Epic Games Store movement is gamers, who are accustomed to the fact that videogame developers/publishers owe them something by default, finally discover that unpleasant aggressive assholes with hysteric requirements are sometimes still sent to fuck off.”

At some point Epic is going to have to compete with something besides paying off game devs for exclusivity. Because if that is their strategy going forward it is going to be rather expensive.

As evidenced by the fact that the developer can comfortably offer refunds. That says a lot about their financial status. Epic is footing the bill.

Well, they have a publishing arm as well as a storefront. I guess it is kind of weird to run both those businesses. Petrol stations can be a little like this though, and I am sure there are other similar models.

Cash strapped indies can sell exclusivity, probably lose a lot of exposure in the process (Or who knows, maybe the outrage can translate to sales as other people who never heard of this see it?) and get a bit financial backing. Very difficult to get in this hit generated business. Not to mention if Epic does get some traction, you have a storefront that while basic isn't also flooded with IOS ports, hentai games and other assorted garbage to the point where the chances of the right people seeing your game is rather limited these days.

Blizzard and Origin have exclusives. But they are also publishers first stores second. Why begrudge them their incompetence? And nothing wrong with not buying a game till it comes on Steam or never if you feel strongly I guess. I just love games so much I will get them where they appear. Even if it's a God of War on a console, Zelda on a cheap tablet with less grunt than my phone, or through the motherfucking DCS launcher piece of shit for a pretend F-14.

I bet if the exclusive is good enough, like the Satisfactory beta that emptied our Factorio Server last weekend, people like you will swallow their pride and get it. HL2 did for the baby shit sandwich themed mid 2000's Steam.

16. Re: Phoenix Point an Epic Games Store Exclusive Mar 13, 2019, 11:25 BIGtrouble77

Pick 2 to decide if this move sucks or not.

[ ] Monopolies suck.
[ ] Multiple clients suck.
[ ] Lack of choice sucks.
[ ] DRM sucks.
[ ] Game not supported after release sucks.
[ ] Lack of community around game sucks.

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 2019, 11:37.

15. Re: Phoenix Point an Epic Games Store Exclusive Mar 13, 2019, 11:22 Tipsy McStagger

Numinar wrote on Mar 13, 2019, 10:50:
Exclusives suck but monopolies suck more, and gog/ubi playing nice with Valve didn't really put a scare into them. A bit of aggression in the marketplace should help devs and consumers. I'll assume the cash advance helped Julian Gollop and employees plan out their release with a bit more surety than buying a lotto ticket. This is a good thing. Maybe. I mean seriously what's the motive to only having one store? How does it help? Don't we all have 1000 times more ram than we had when steam was released?

as a gamer, none of what valve does for 30% versus 10% affect me at all.

If you have a good product, you make money.

Indy game developers make money.

So far the only thing epic store has benefited is asshole publishers.

14. Re: Phoenix Point an Epic Games Store Exclusive Mar 13, 2019, 11:22 UttiniDaKilrJawa

Looks like a refund for this one for me.

I don’t have a big problem with multiple stores for different games.

I DO have a problem with my games being tied to a fledgling store that may very well not even be here in a year. Even when Steam first came out, it took me a few years to be comfortable with the full online setup. But during that time Steam proved itself to be fairly reliable and I jumped on-board.

Now, in a few years if Epic can prove itself in the same way as Steam I won’t mind using it so much. Until then, developers and publishers need to allow the market decide who they want to buy from and allow a choice.

13. Re: Phoenix Point an Epic Games Store Exclusive Mar 13, 2019, 11:20 Jow

There's also the concept of not wanting 26 different front ends on my system to maintain login credentials for, update, etc. Pain in the ass.  

12. Re: Phoenix Point an Epic Games Store Exclusive Mar 13, 2019, 11:01 Moog

what's the motive to only having one store?

It's Epic's exclusives that are forcing "one store" on us.

Have the game on Steam.
Have it on the Epic Fail Store, too.
Sell it through the Humble Store, also.
GOG too.

Let people decide where they want to buy it.

Personally, I want my games on Steam.
No other store front or launcher compares.

If you're not on Steam, I'm just not fucking interested anymore.

11. Re: Phoenix Point an Epic Games Store Exclusive Mar 13, 2019, 10:56 Slashman

10. Re: Phoenix Point an Epic Games Store Exclusive Mar 13, 2019, 10:53 Frijoles

Didn't you guys bust your multi client cherry with gog a decade ago? Why would this be a lost sale?

Epic's store is shit.

9. Re: Phoenix Point an Epic Games Store Exclusive Mar 13, 2019, 10:50 Numinar

Didn't you guys bust your multi client cherry with gog a decade ago? Why would this be a lost sale?

Exclusives suck but monopolies suck more, and gog/ubi playing nice with Valve didn't really put a scare into them. A bit of aggression in the marketplace should help devs and consumers. I'll assume the cash advance helped Julian Gollop and employees plan out their release with a bit more surety than buying a lotto ticket. This is a good thing. Maybe. I mean seriously what's the motive to only having one store? How does it help? Don't we all have 1000 times more ram than we had when steam was released? However bad the launcher is, it's waaaaaay better than that baby vomit colored Counterstrike launcher was for the first few years.

8. Re: Phoenix Point an Epic Games Store Exclusive Mar 13, 2019, 10:44 mch

I'd be tempted to like that tweet as well.  

7. Re: Phoenix Point an Epic Games Store Exclusive Mar 13, 2019, 10:29 Primalchrome

6. Re: Phoenix Point an Epic Games Store Exclusive Mar 13, 2019, 10:18 Frijoles

This is going to be the lost year of games. I should just ignore all gaming news for a year, and then it'll look like this shit is coming out new on Steam.

The real question is whether these games will be full price on Steam in a year, or if they'll be 50% off like most year-old games.

5. Re: Phoenix Point an Epic Games Store Exclusive Mar 13, 2019, 10:07 Moog

No Steam; No Sale.
Simples.

Have it on the Epic Fail store as well but fuck off with your exclusive bullshit!

104 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo