Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Windows 7 Gets (Some) DirectX 12 Support

The DirectX Developer Blog announces that Microsoft has ported the user mode D3D12 runtime to Windows 7, saying this "unblocks developers who want to take full advantage of the latest improvements in D3D12 while still supporting customers on older operating systems." This is specifically to support World of Warcraft to start with, but the post includes a FAQ saying, "We are currently working with a few other game developers to port their D3D12 games to Windows 7. Please watch out for further announcement." AnandTech notes this all seems odd since under a year remains before Windows 7 hits its end-of-support date. Also odd is that though gamers have been clamoring for this for years, Microsoft says this move comes at this time because they "make every effort to respond to customer feedback." Here's word:

Blizzard added DirectX 12 support for their award-winning World of Warcraft game on Windows 10 in late 2018. This release received a warm welcome from gamers: thanks to DirectX 12 features such as multi-threading, WoW gamers experienced substantial framerate improvement. After seeing such performance wins for their gamers running DirectX 12 on Windows 10, Blizzard wanted to bring wins to their gamers who remain on Windows 7, where DirectX 12 was not available.

At Microsoft, we make every effort to respond to customer feedback, so when we received this feedback from Blizzard and other developers, we decided to act on it. Microsoft is pleased to announce that we have ported the user mode D3D12 runtime to Windows 7. This unblocks developers who want to take full advantage of the latest improvements in D3D12 while still supporting customers on older operating systems.

Today, with game patch 8.1.5 for World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth, Blizzard becomes the first game developer to use DirectX 12 for Windows 7! Now, Windows 7 WoW gamers can run the game using DirectX 12 and enjoy a framerate boost, though the best DirectX 12 performance will always be on Windows 10, since Windows 10 contains a number of OS optimizations designed to make DirectX 12 run even faster.

We’d like to thank the development community for their feedback. We’re so excited that we have been able to partner with our friends in the game development community to bring the benefits of DirectX 12 to all their customers. Please keep the feedback coming!

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: WOW? Mar 14, 2019, 15:04 Vigil

Thanks.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: WOW? Mar 14, 2019, 07:10 MoonSpook

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 13, 2019, 15:29:
Hanneth wrote on Mar 13, 2019, 13:25:
because a large portion of the hard core gaming user base is still on Windows 7.

(citation needed)

I can citate the other way if you like:

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

Win 10 is used by 64%ish, Win 7 64-bit by 25%ish. I know that's just Steam users, but there you go.

Vigil wrote on Mar 14, 2019, 04:04:
Why have I not seen anyone ask why World Of Warcraft requires DX12 now? That game looks as old as anything, or have they updated the graphics lately?

There was a graphics update a couple of years ago, although that was mainly the character models. They do up their game a touch (and their required system specs) with each expansion, but normally small stuff - water reflections, more realistic fire etc.

That said, if I turn all the settings up to Ultra on my i7-7700K, GeForce 1070 with 16GB RAM, I actually can't keep up 60fps in crowded areas like the main cities.. So it's doing *something*.

Edit: Just reread your question. WoW doesn't require DX12, it's just an option if you have a capable gfx card. It still supports DX11. There's a short post on their forums explaining:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/new-graphics-apis-in-8-1-5/121542

I think the step up to DX12 was for optimisation - when they switched to DX12 a few months ago, I noticed a considerable performance improvement myself.

16. WOW? Mar 14, 2019, 04:04 Vigil

Why have I not seen anyone ask why World Of Warcraft requires DX12 now? That game looks as old as anything, or have they updated the graphics lately?  

15. Re: Windows 7 Gets (Some) DirectX 12 Support Mar 13, 2019, 23:00 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Mar 13, 2019, 17:51:
Fuck Nutella and MS up the ass - and not pleasantly.

I have 12 Nutella bottles (500g) from before the recipe change, I will sell you one, for 1000$ and a hug

14. Re: Windows 7 Gets (Some) DirectX 12 Support Mar 13, 2019, 17:51 Cutter

Fuck Nutella and MS up the ass - and not pleasantly.

“There are three kinds of men. The ones that learn by readin’. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” - Will Rogers

13. Re: Windows 7 Gets (Some) DirectX 12 Support Mar 13, 2019, 15:29 jacobvandy

because a large portion of the hard core gaming user base is still on Windows 7.

(citation needed)

12. Re: Windows 7 Gets (Some) DirectX 12 Support Mar 13, 2019, 15:11 Darks

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 13, 2019, 10:30:
Weird. Kind of surprising this got past the MS hall monitors considering they are shutting down support for Win7 in less than a year.

I don't think it is surprising at all. Most game companies are sticking with DX11, or changing over to Vulkan because a large portion of the hard core gaming user base is still on Windows 7. It is either start supporting DX12 on Windows 7, to a limited extent, or have everyone switch to Vulkan. Microsoft has no control over over Vulkan.

Unless of coarse Microsoft deiced to buy out Vulkan.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

11. Re: Windows 7 Gets (Some) DirectX 12 Support Mar 13, 2019, 13:25 Hanneth

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 13, 2019, 10:30:
Weird. Kind of surprising this got past the MS hall monitors considering they are shutting down support for Win7 in less than a year.

I don't think it is surprising at all. Most game companies are sticking with DX11, or changing over to Vulkan because a large portion of the hard core gaming user base is still on Windows 7. It is either start supporting DX12 on Windows 7, to a limited extent, or have everyone switch to Vulkan. Microsoft has no control over over Vulkan.

10. Re: Windows 7 Gets (Some) DirectX 12 Support Mar 13, 2019, 12:33 Muscular Beaver

Acleacius wrote on Mar 13, 2019, 09:49:
First thing m$ has done right since creating the xbox?
Whats right about it? Support is ending soon.
They should have done it for Windows 8.1, which still goes on for another 3 years and which is basically a Windows 7, if you just only install a Windows menu mod.

Sick of waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

9. Re: Windows 7 Gets (Some) DirectX 12 Support Mar 13, 2019, 12:32 Burrito of Peace

Leper wrote on Mar 13, 2019, 11:44:
Windows 10 is basically Windows 7 with a facelift and some new features IMO.

Not even close from any objective measurement. I assume you don't have to administrate multiple deployments numbering in the hundreds or better of Windows 10? It's hot garbage.

Let's set aside the comically inept security holes in Win10. Do you enjoy bricking your fleet of Win10 machines with an update marked "critical" that is also cumulative without having to dig on the MS website to find out what the "cumulative" update contains? Or, do you enjoy having daisy chained updates, each marked "cumulative", when they're not really cumulative? Or, how about the numerous SMB bugs that will either slow network transfers to a crawl and/or simply show a blank background if you have home directory redirection enabled for your users? Oh! How about the one where Win10 decides to disregard domain enforced GPOs whenever the fuck it feels like it...because reasons? Hope your users don't want to print to that network printer! Or let's say you use WSUS to roll out updates across your enterprise organization and you come to find out that Win10 doesn't give one fucking rat's ass about your update schedule (You know, the thing that WSUS is explicitly setup to handle) and completely ignores the deadlines you set?

But, wait, if you call now, we'll send you MORE bugs touted as "features" absolutely free of charge! Just pay separate processing and shipping.

I mean, it's not like there's a critical problem where Win10 will also just up and stop reporting in to both WSUS and SCCM servers because...<spins wheel of reasons>...the day's name ends in "Y". By the way, all the servers that our Win10 machines talk to are Win2016 servers so there's no legacy mish-mash with Server 2008R2.

Win7, on the other hand, was easy to administer right out of the gate. It behaved as expected and although it did have its own bugs, they weren't near in the same league in Win7's whole lifespan as Win10 has had in the last two years of mass deployment.

Yesterday I was in a meeting and the most die hard Windows fanboy in our entire organization just sat back and said "Fuck this. Let's just keep our DCs around and move everything over to Linux. We can do that, right Burrito?" To which I replied "Of course we can. My sites are already setup that way." We were talking about server deployments but then we got in to client deployments and there is literally nothing that Windows 10 does for our needs that we can't move over to Linux and just get rid of the merry-go-round of suck that is Win10.

8. Re: Windows 7 Gets (Some) DirectX 12 Support Mar 13, 2019, 12:28 HorrorScope

Flatline wrote on Mar 13, 2019, 12:13:
Nope. Basically anyone in IT hates Windows 10 for MS incredibly aggressive patching and data mining.

To the first point if people are upset about the aggressive patching, in many cases that is a two way street as other parts of IT that make apps aggressively patch their systems and force users to update asap. To me this has become the world we live in. Data mining... yeah that's pretty much the world to.

7. Re: Windows 7 Gets (Some) DirectX 12 Support Mar 13, 2019, 12:13 Flatline

J wrote on Mar 13, 2019, 11:42:
Acleacius wrote on Mar 13, 2019, 10:45:
The only reason win 10 has more users, is because they gave it away for free.

Gave it away? They practically forced it upon people. Perhaps I'm the last remaining person who was bothered by that.

Nope. Basically anyone in IT hates Windows 10 for MS incredibly aggressive patching and data mining. The automagic upgrade to 10 was the first signs of a newly aggressive Microsoft.

Which sucks because the OS itself isn't bad. It's the SaaS model that makes us want to burn it to the ground.

6. Re: Windows 7 Gets (Some) DirectX 12 Support Mar 13, 2019, 11:44 Leper

You're probably right but I think that's because Windows 7 was excellent and Windows 8 was a mess, rather than Windows 10 having anything really wrong with it. Windows 10 is basically Windows 7 with a facelift and some new features IMO.

5. Re: Windows 7 Gets (Some) DirectX 12 Support Mar 13, 2019, 11:42 J

Gave it away? They practically forced it upon people. Perhaps I'm the last remaining person who was bothered by that.

nin: This forum is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
Blue: What do you mean, "biblical"?
xXBatmanXx: What he means is Old BBS, El Presidente, real wrath of SysOp type stuff.

4. Re: Windows 7 Gets (Some) DirectX 12 Support Mar 13, 2019, 10:45 Acleacius

“It’s a sad day for America when people believe women,” The Drumpf

3. Re: Windows 7 Gets (Some) DirectX 12 Support Mar 13, 2019, 10:37 HorrorScope

Yeah the timing is odd doing it at end of life. Whatever.  

2. Re: Windows 7 Gets (Some) DirectX 12 Support Mar 13, 2019, 10:30 Mr. Tact

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

1. Re: Windows 7 Gets (Some) DirectX 12 Support Mar 13, 2019, 09:49 Acleacius

First thing m$ has done right since creating the xbox?  

“It’s a sad day for America when people believe women,” The Drumpf

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo