Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

Happy birthday to the World Wide Web, as it was on March 12, 1989 that Tim Berners-Lee first proposed the system we use today. Here's a bit from the Wikipedia: "On 12 March 1989 Berners-Lee issued a proposal, titled 'Information Management: A Proposal',[10] to the management at CERN for a system called 'Mesh' that referenced ENQUIRE, a database and software project he had built in 1980, which used the term 'web' and described a more elaborate information management system based on links embedded in readable text: 'Imagine, then, the references in this document all being associated with the network address of the thing to which they referred, so that while reading this document you could skip to them with a click of the mouse.' Such a system, he explained, could be referred to using one of the existing meanings of the word hypertext, a term that he says was coined in the 1950s. There is no reason, the proposal continues, why such hypertext links could not encompass multimedia documents including graphics, speech and video, so that Berners-Lee goes on to use the term hypermedia.[11]."

If that's not enough, today is also IHOP Free Pancake Day, offering the chance to support children's charity and eat free pancakes, a win/win if ever there was one (thanks Kxmode). Sadly, it does not seem there are any IHOP locations in Europe, but the artists formerly known as International House of Pancakes are indeed international with locations in North America, Latin America, the Middle East, Southeast Asia, and Oceania. Speaking of sadness, this describes our reaction to our recent visit to a local IHOP. These are independent franchises, and this one is pretty grubby, so we just turned around and left. But I have a real fondness for IHOP from my childhood, and there are two more about the same distance from us, so I may try to convince MrsBlue to go on an adventure to one of them. You know, to help kids.

International House of Links: Thanks Ant.
Stories: "Game of Thrones" S8 Runtimes Revealed.
She Invented a Board Game With Scientific Integrity. It’s Taking Off. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Science: Your Environment Is Cleaner. Your Immune System Has Never Been So Unprepared.
Traces of Giant, 2,700-Year-Old Solar Storm Detected in Greenland Ice. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Japan's moon rover will be made by Toyota. Could've had leather seats with Lexus.
Media: SNL: Kate McKinnon plays Bok Bok, the fast food chicken mascot who is definitely not Momo.
Inside Game of Thrones: A Story in Prosthetics.
Follow-up: Harvard Scientists Say Their Wild Plan to Dim The Sun Could Actually Work Safely. What could go wrong?
Boeing will release software updates for 737 Max jets by April.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Followup Mar 14, 2019, 13:11 RedEye9

FAA finally grounds the Boeing 737.
It should have happened after the Lion Air crash.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/11/16/world/asia/lion-air-crash-cockpit.html

Here’s What Was on the Record About Problems With the 737 Max

https://theaircurrent.com/aviation-safety/the-world-pulls-the-andon-cord-on-the-737-max/

“Yeah, I’d like to order one large phone with extra phones, please.” “Cell phone. No-no-no-no, rotary! And pay phone on half.”
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2019, 23:49 Mr. Tact

Here's a clue to why Boeing was so reluctant to ground the 737 Max 8 and Max 9s... This model accounts for 4500+ of the 5900+ backlog of aircraft on order from Boeing.

Boeing and the FAA -- limited article site, so you may get "blocked" if you aren't a subscriber and already hit your limit.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2019, 21:46 Jivaro

When it comes to aircraft I figure the best thing to do is choose caution. If there is even the slightest possible risk that either is known or suspected the planes should be grounded. I can't for the life of me understand why anyone in a political or FAA position would do otherwise. I mean, there is the obvious risks to lives but it's probably the end of your career if the press is asking 24/7 why the planes aren't grounded and then another plane crashes. Whether you are a normal human, a sociopathic selfish prick, or somewhere in between it's the right move.

(obviously I get why airlines and Boeing would drag their feet)

23. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2019, 14:54 RedEye9

I had wondered about how much more efficient the dual wingtips were.
https://gizmodo.com/how-these-simple-scimitar-winglets-make-the-737-a-whole-837341873

“Yeah, I’d like to order one large phone with extra phones, please.” “Cell phone. No-no-no-no, rotary! And pay phone on half.”

22. Another one bites the dust Mar 13, 2019, 13:06 RedEye9

Canada bans the plane

We be the last holdout, go figure

21. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2019, 11:44 RedEye9

USA Today has article on Pilot Complaints.
Politico's was better.

Man Who Grounded the Boeing Dreamliner, former U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, says the FAA Should Ground the Boeing 737 Crash 8.
But why would anyone listen to him, he doesn't even tweet.

edit
The Aviation Safety Reporting System captures confidential reports, analyzes the resulting data, and disseminates vital information to the aviation community.
ASRS - Aviation Safety Reporting System - NASA

Cool idea, but we're are just gonna ignore reports it captures. Dizzy

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 2019, 12:19.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2019, 11:15 Mr. Tact

Yeah, that particular problem got fixed. However, one part of the current issue is the reason the auto-pilot is trying to pull the nose down is based off the input from a single sensor which is supposed to determine the angle the nose is at. The patch Boeing is doing will cause the auto-pilot decision to be based on multiple sensors.  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2019, 10:54 RedEye9

https://www.popularmechanics.com/flight/a3115/what-really-happened-aboard-air-france-447-6611877/
Frozen sensors and pilot error killed 228, cockpit transcripts.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2019, 10:34 Mr. Tact

I hope that is a bit too paranoid. More likely the stories have just be pulled off the front page by other stories(the college admission stuff, Trump, Manafort, Brexit...). Given the number of stories on the 737 Max 8, finding the ones about this portion of the story is not particularly easy.  

17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2019, 10:23 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 13, 2019, 10:15:
I saw several sites posting stories about it, but now I can only find this one:

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/03/12/pilots-boeing-737-1266090

Basically there is a national database which allows pilots to report things anonymously. A search of that database found multiple reports of this issue with the auto-pilot pulling the nose down during takeoffz.
Thanks!
Is Boeing using their immense wealth to purge unflattering articles about the Crash 8.
Nah, that'd never happen. Wink
They have to work on sanitizing the national database.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2019, 10:15 Mr. Tact

I saw several sites posting stories about it, but now I can only find this one:

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/03/12/pilots-boeing-737-1266090

Basically there is a national database which allows pilots to report things anonymously. A search of that database found multiple reports of this issue with the auto-pilot pulling the nose down during takeoffz.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2019, 23:24 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 12, 2019, 22:35:
Oh great... now it turns out US commercial pilots have been reporting issues with the 737 Max 8 for quite some time... Boeing is going to get cooked on this.
source?

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2019, 22:35 Mr. Tact

Oh great... now it turns out US commercial pilots have been reporting issues with the 737 Max 8 for quite some time... Boeing is going to get cooked on this.  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2019, 21:39 Mr. Tact

BLUE! What the heck is your team doing? OBJ to the Browns!? Confused  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2019, 20:01 1badmf

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 12, 2019, 13:57:
Since Boeing is being required to make a software change it would seemingly be a good idea to ground them until at least that change is in place and the pilots have been trained concerning any changes...

shocking that they would install a new flight control system on the new plane and think it wasn't worth telling the customers in any way, shape or form. they're gonna eat hundreds of millions in lawsuits over this. sounds like a classic case of engineers' hubris. no one's fancy new invention is foolproof - document it and let everyone know how to deal with failure cases.

11. chant it with me Mar 12, 2019, 16:32 RedEye9

US and Canada are the only two nations still flying a substantial number of Boeing 737 MAX 8s
USA USA USA

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2019, 14:01 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 12, 2019, 13:57:
Since Boeing is being required to make a software change it would seemingly be a good idea to ground them until at least that change is in place and the pilots have been trained concerning any changes...
The rest of the civilized world agree's with you. But you know planes are like hummingbirds and bumblebees, they're 'far too complex to fly' Shocked Shocked2

------------------------------------------------------
Boeing stock drops 6 points meanwhile the CEO of Boeing loses 60 IQ points.

This comment was edited on Mar 12, 2019, 15:17.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2019, 13:57 Mr. Tact

8. Boeing 737 Crash 8 Grounded (except for USA) Mar 12, 2019, 13:37 RedEye9

Some of the countries and airlines that have grounded the 737 include Britain, Ethiopia, France, Italy, Gemany, China, Ireland, Austria, Singapore, Australia, Iceland, Malaysia, UK, Poland, Mexico, Brazil, Netherlands, Turkey, and Oman.

Expect US kongresscritters on Boeing's dole to be forced to follow suit.

edit
European Union joins the ban
  • Live Updates https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/boeing-737-max-8-ethiopia-airlines-crash/index.html

• White House statement

This comment was edited on Mar 12, 2019, 13:53.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2019, 13:31 Cutter

Yeah going from Lynx to Netscape was like from DOS to Windows - simply amazing!

Why don't these brainiacs at Harvard put all that time and money into convincing people to finally get government to fix the root causes of the problem instead. That's some cartoonishly supervillain sort of nonsense they're proposing.

“There are three kinds of men. The ones that learn by readin’. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” - Will Rogers

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo