Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Valve Layoffs Included Artifact Creators

Following the news of layoffs at his company, Valve co-founder Gabe Newell began responding to questions from the community on what's going on there. This video from the VNN rounds up those answers in one place for our convenience. Gabe explains that the layoffs were not related to hardware and virtual reality, but to personnel, and he denies any VR games have been shelved. We also learn that the contractor casualties number even more than the 13 full-time staff that was let go, and among them were Richard Garfield and Skaff Elias, developers of Artifact. Garfield, who also created Magic: The Gathering, responds to this by saying he's unsurprised by this given the card game's "rocky" launch, but expresses optimism about the quality of the game moving forward. The video speculates that this may represent a change in culture at Valve to focus more on completing software projects while expressing frustration that this is not the type of thing Valve communicates directly.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Valve Layoffs Included Artifact Creators Mar 10, 2019, 18:10 Cutter

Jesus Christ, it's 13 people? Most major employers do more than that a day.

“There are three kinds of men. The ones that learn by readin’. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” - Will Rogers
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Valve Layoffs Included Artifact Creators Mar 10, 2019, 14:54 Wesp5

CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 10, 2019, 14:37:
I mean, another short episode like 2 with a team that was able to work almost blindfolded with the engine and the tools back then wouldn't even have taken any real effort.

I agree and I bet Marc Laidlaw left and wrote his EP3 summary because he was fed up that nobody could be bothered. And then they made Artifact as a game completely dependent on selling virtual content and I'm so glad that it failed! Maybe with that and competition by the Epic Store they will wake up eventually...

24. Re: Valve Layoffs Included Artifact Creators Mar 10, 2019, 14:46 RedEye9

CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 10, 2019, 14:37:
Luke wrote on Mar 10, 2019, 05:43:
whine
& cheese
"Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them"
Derek Smart

“Yeah, I’d like to order one large phone with extra phones, please.” “Cell phone. No-no-no-no, rotary! And pay phone on half.”

23. Re: Valve Layoffs Included Artifact Creators Mar 10, 2019, 14:37 CJ_Parker

Luke wrote on Mar 10, 2019, 05:43:
Selling a game as a 3 ep and then only release 2 ep way to go gabe way to go , lazy greedy bastard.

Yepperz. That shit right there is completely unforgivable especially due to the cliffhanger ending of ep 2. There is ZERO excuse. It wouldn't have bankrupted Valve to just pull through to the end.

I mean, another short episode like 2 with a team that was able to work almost blindfolded with the engine and the tools back then wouldn't even have taken any real effort. Fuck Valve.

22. Re: Valve Layoffs Included Artifact Creators Mar 10, 2019, 13:31 Dacron

[VG]Reagle wrote on Mar 10, 2019, 13:09:
Looks like they ate 1 too many of Gabe’s potatoes chips so fatboy offed em

You sound bitter, don't worry, things will look up for you soon, I'm sure of it. No need to take your disappointment and anger out on others.

Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

21. Re: Valve Layoffs Included Artifact Creators Mar 10, 2019, 13:09 [VG]Reagle

Looks like they ate 1 too many of Gabe’s potatoes chips so fatboy offed em  

DON'T LIKE MY COMMENTS?!? THEN STOP RELEASING GARBAGE.

20. Re: Valve Layoffs Included Artifact Creators Mar 10, 2019, 13:07 necrosis

Wesp5 wrote on Mar 9, 2019, 10:50:
Maybe they should actually create some game of their own for a change, instead of buying others to do stuff in their name! Once the Epic store and others eat more and more into the monopoly of Steam, the times where they can just move their desks around doing nothing may be over...
You mean trading one monopoly for another.

19. Re: Valve Layoffs Included Artifact Creators Mar 10, 2019, 10:14 Beamer

Nate wrote on Mar 9, 2019, 12:44:
Your game is not a great success so your fired? Did Artifact not sell enough to make back its development costs?

Given that these were the inventors of M:tG, I wager they were costly employees with very high salaries and extremely high expectations.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18. Re: Valve Layoffs Included Artifact Creators Mar 10, 2019, 07:58 jdreyer

Wesp5 wrote on Mar 10, 2019, 05:21:
Dev wrote on Mar 9, 2019, 20:46:
The sad part is, people told them this early on. They could have changed it, changed the money making strategy to be less greedy.

In my opinion Valve is all about greed since they managed to make Steam a quasi monopoly. They only release a few games inbetween to keep the image up that they are a game developer and not just an online store like Amazon...

Although I'm not happy with Steam's dominant marketing position, they're far from Amazon. XBox, Playstation, Switch, etc. all offer competition with Steam in the form of substitute products.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

17. Re: Valve Layoffs Included Artifact Creators Mar 10, 2019, 07:08 Kain

jdreyer wrote on Mar 9, 2019, 12:22:
I wonder how much of Artifact's design was the developer's ideas and how much of it was mandated from above.

Regardless, it's amazing Valve was so out of touch that they couldn't foresee the backlash the game created.

From what we hear about Valve it seems like very little is mandated from above in general there.

Valve can make whatever it wants but I'm wanting more traditional AAA type games from them. They don't seem interested in making them so I'm not buying their current games. Steam is a different story, I still buy games from Steam but its mostly indie titles at this point. I bought Slay the Spire recently instead of Artifact even.

16. Re: Valve Layoffs Included Artifact Creators Mar 10, 2019, 05:43 Luke

Selling a game as a 3 ep and then only release 2 ep way to go gabe way to go , lazy greedy bastard.  

15. Re: Valve Layoffs Included Artifact Creators Mar 10, 2019, 05:27 Sepharo

Wesp5 wrote on Mar 10, 2019, 05:21:
The sad part is, people told them this early on. They could have changed it, changed the money making strategy to be less greedy.

In my opinion Valve is all about greed since they managed to make Steam a quasi monopoly. They only release a few games inbetween to keep the image up that they are a game developer and not just an online store like Amazon...

They're working on "games" they just suck at bringing them to release.

14. Re: Valve Layoffs Included Artifact Creators Mar 10, 2019, 05:21 Wesp5

13. Re: Valve Layoffs Included Artifact Creators Mar 9, 2019, 20:46 Dev

jdreyer wrote on Mar 9, 2019, 12:22:
Regardless, it's amazing Valve was so out of touch that they couldn't foresee the backlash the game created.
The sad part is, people told them this early on. They could have changed it, changed the money making strategy to be less greedy. Nope, they stuck with the crap they had.

12. Re: Valve Layoffs Included Artifact Creators Mar 9, 2019, 19:29 RedEye9

Burrito of Peace wrote on Mar 9, 2019, 19:26:
...why do we care?
slow news day

“Yeah, I’d like to order one large phone with extra phones, please.” “Cell phone. No-no-no-no, rotary! And pay phone on half.”

11. Re: Valve Layoffs Included Artifact Creators Mar 9, 2019, 19:26 Burrito of Peace

...why do we care?  

10. Re: Valve Layoffs Included Artifact Creators Mar 9, 2019, 16:32 El Pit

Sepharo wrote on Mar 9, 2019, 16:03:
I heard Valve is going to pull its games from Steam and start offering them exclusively through a new Valve store and launcher.

Valve... hm... The store maybe could be called Software Tap? Game Pressure? Hot Water Store? Digital Nebula? I/O Fog? Software Cloud... oops.

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

9. Re: Valve Layoffs Included Artifact Creators Mar 9, 2019, 16:03 Sepharo

I heard Valve is going to pull its games from Steam and start offering them exclusively through a new Valve store and launcher.  

8. Re: Valve Layoffs Included Artifact Creators Mar 9, 2019, 14:31 HorrorScope

Ha VR is flourishing baby!  

7. Re: Valve Layoffs Included Artifact Creators Mar 9, 2019, 14:02 Luke

HL3 comming ! ?  

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo