Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Morning Metaverse

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 9, 2019, 15:15 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Mar 9, 2019, 13:54:
Beamer wrote on Mar 9, 2019, 09:40:
NicklePop wrote on Mar 8, 2019, 22:20:
Buy Amazon stock.

Anything else is shaking your fist at the sky and lamenting it's blue-ness.

Teach capitalism in schools.

The "evil rich people" are sharing their money via the stock market.

Welcome to modernity, where this capitalist system created technology, medicine and brought us out of the gutter.

Or not. Shake your fist at the sky and talk about Karl Marx' low IQ ideas about a magical state central authority system making things "fair".

I've got nearly $250,000 in Amazon stock right now. It's not really sharing money back with me, though. I get no voting rights. I get no insulation from downfalls. I'm a pretty high holder, but I'm a speck of dust.

Over 80% of stocks in America are held by less than 1% of the population. It's absurd to imply that it democratizes anything. And, if anything, your rhetoric makes me feel you have absolutely no clue about any of this. You just come across as dumb, and chasing strawmen. I mean, you seem really ill-informed.

I'm guessing you were a C-student at a low tier school, and took at most one business course. I'm guessing you think you're an expert in stocks, but have a portfolio of under $20k, aside from your 401k. I'm guessing you've never managed anyone, never been involved in layoff decisions, and never worked for a Fortune 100, let alone a Fortune 500, company.

Ouch Beamer.

Just think how successful you could be profiling serial killers for the FBI.
Definitely a true surgical strike w/zero civilian casualties. Grin

“Yeah, I’d like to order one large phone with extra phones, please.” “Cell phone. No-no-no-no, rotary! And pay phone on half.”
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 9, 2019, 14:20 jdreyer

Buy Amazon stock.

Welcome to modernity, where this capitalist system created technology, medicine and brought us out of the gutter.

Or not. Shake your fist at the sky and talk about Karl Marx' low IQ ideas about a magical state central authority system making things "fair".
Monopoly/duopolies are not free markets. It's corporatism. It's capitalism at its most exploitative. It's the equivalent of a dictatorship. Times where monopolies have dominated the markets have been periods of stagnation for the US. One need not be a Marxist to see that.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

24. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 9, 2019, 13:54 jdreyer

Buy Amazon stock.

I've got nearly $250,000 in Amazon stock right now. It's not really sharing money back with me, though. I get no voting rights. I get no insulation from downfalls. I'm a pretty high holder, but I'm a speck of dust.

Over 80% of stocks in America are held by less than 1% of the population. It's absurd to imply that it democratizes anything. And, if anything, your rhetoric makes me feel you have absolutely no clue about any of this. You just come across as dumb, and chasing strawmen. I mean, you seem really ill-informed.

I'm guessing you were a C-student at a low tier school, and took at most one business course. I'm guessing you think you're an expert in stocks, but have a portfolio of under $20k, aside from your 401k. I'm guessing you've never managed anyone, never been involved in layoff decisions, and never worked for a Fortune 100, let alone a Fortune 500, company.

Ouch Beamer.

Just think how successful you could be profiling serial killers for the FBI.

23. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 9, 2019, 11:46 Beamer

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 9, 2019, 10:21:
I've got nearly $250,000 in Amazon stock right now.
Impressive. The most I ever had of a single stock was about $25k, unless you count my ESPP.

Had I stayed an extra year it'd be four times that.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

22. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 9, 2019, 10:21 Mr. Tact

I've got nearly $250,000 in Amazon stock right now.
Impressive. The most I ever had of a single stock was about $25k, unless you count my ESPP.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

21. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 9, 2019, 09:48 Beamer

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 8, 2019, 16:03:
While I agree Amazon is bordering on being an on-line monopoly, I don't really see how you break it up. I guess you could strip off AWS, but I'm guessing the bulk of their profit is the on-line store.

AWS was long propping up retail. Amazon was literally using AWS profits to fund retail losses. Like I said, though, that's shifting. First came the supply chain algorithms. Amazon used to have in-stock managers, six-figure salaried employees whose job it was to do forecasting, figure out how much of Product X would sell in Y weeks, and then buy that much. About 3 years ago, Amazon let them all go and went to algorithms. Quicker, fewer errors, and saved millions in salaries.

Last year, Amazon quietly closed most of its open positions for Vendor Managers, which are essentially buyers. It laid some off, and shifted others to new roles, again, saving millions in salary. It then moved a large chunk of its vendors (manufacturers) to a new program, where everything is algorithmically driven. Companies used to having someone to call up and negotiate with, or answer questions, or have some kind of human interaction, instead got a self-service web portal. Millions saved, again.

Now, many of those are being moved to Sellers. A Vendor is someone that sells wholesale to Amazon, meaning Amazon owns the inventory, controls the pricing, handles the sale, and handles the shipping and customer service. Sellers are using Amazon as a marketplace. Sellers own their inventory, control the pricing, handle shipping and customer service, and Amazon still does the sale, but for about a 12.5% cut. For a huge chunk of Sellers, Amazon holds the inventory, for a cost, and does the shipping and customer service, for a cost. So instead of Amazon holding inventory, which is expensive, and shipping, which is expensive, it's all on the Seller. Amazon's profitability skyrockets, with the burden back on the manufacturer, who is relatively tiny compared to Amazon and will struggle. Meanwhile, I guarantee the average price goes up 10% to consumers, likely more. But this will all slow down Amazon's retail growth, as Walmart desperately pumps billions into competing.

-------------

20. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 9, 2019, 09:40 Beamer

Buy Amazon stock.

-------------

19. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 9, 2019, 09:37 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 8, 2019, 20:09:
Sure, it is the only way to be sure.
yep, sure it is

“Yeah, I’d like to order one large phone with extra phones, please.” “Cell phone. No-no-no-no, rotary! And pay phone on half.”

18. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 9, 2019, 00:57 MoreLuckThanSkill

SimplyMonk wrote on Mar 8, 2019, 23:15:
The problem with that breakup is that you are just breaking the company up into its individual industry components, most of which would die by themselves without the revenue injected by the Amazon Marketplace. The Marketplace component would then just repeat the process again by investing in these now separate entities or being the primary customer for their services.

You’d essentially just be telling companies they can only invest in one industry.

Humanity really doesn't have a choice, stop Amazon now, or it's Demolition Man's "All Restaurants are Taco Bell" only Amazon will be most industries. They already have their Fed Ex replacement up and running as it is.

*EDIT: TYPO*

17. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 8, 2019, 23:15 SimplyMonk

The problem with that breakup is that you are just breaking the company up into its individual industry components, most of which would die by themselves without the revenue injected by the Amazon Marketplace. The Marketplace component would then just repeat the process again by investing in these now separate entities or being the primary customer for their services.

You’d essentially just be telling companies they can only invest in one industry.

16. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 8, 2019, 22:20 NicklePop

Buy Amazon stock.

15. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 8, 2019, 20:09 Mr. Tact

Sure, it is the only way to be sure.  

14. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 8, 2019, 19:34 RedEye9

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 8, 2019, 19:17:
Same for Google for sure, although we can all agree Facebook just needs to be obliterated from orbit.

It's the only way to be safe.

13. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 8, 2019, 19:17 MoreLuckThanSkill

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 8, 2019, 16:03:
While I agree Amazon is bordering on being an on-line monopoly, I don't really see how you break it up. I guess you could strip off AWS, but I'm guessing the bulk of their profit is the on-line store.

Well, AWS is making a shit ton of money these days, and sticking its tentacles into almost every aspect of civilian, government, and military life.

At the very least AWS needs to be broken off, then break off Amazon Streaming (music and video) and the Amazon Store(pure sales), then Amazon Listening Devices(Echo, Alexa, whatever the hell else they have), and possibly their Lumberyard/back end stuff that isn't AWS, and finally Amazon Basics, their small customer end hardware department. Something along those lines.

Same for Google for sure, although we can all agree Facebook just needs to be obliterated from orbit.

12. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 8, 2019, 17:50 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Mar 8, 2019, 14:36:
A free market should shoot for as close to perfect competition as possible: for a given product there are many buyers, many sellers, sellers sell nearly identical products, and buyers have perfect information.

That's a complete pipe dream. A truly free market would do exactly what the US is doing: buy out all the competition and become a monopoly, then rake their customers over every single coal they can find.

This market needs to have the living FUCK regulated out of it. Unduly burdensome? Fuck you and your whore shareholders.

11. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 8, 2019, 16:03 Mr. Tact

10. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 8, 2019, 14:56 Beamer

SimplyMonk wrote on Mar 8, 2019, 14:40:
Breaking up Amazon, Google, and Facebook won't really do anything for competition unless you literally break apart the companies in a way that they compete against themselves.

Amazon Market place would need to be broken up into different product types.

Facebook would need to be broken up by... media type shared?

Google would need to have its search engine broken up by... I don't even know.

These companies are successful because they are massively convenient and humans are lazy/strive for efficiency. Regulation preventing them from exploiting their market share is more likely to have results than somehow arbitrarily breaking them up.

Amazon's marketplace is probably what helps their argument. They're shifting more and more vendors to marketplace sellers, which gives the manufacturers price control. Worse prices for consumers, but cedes the power Walmart used to destroy so many others.

-------------

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 8, 2019, 14:40 SimplyMonk

Breaking up Amazon, Google, and Facebook won't really do anything for competition unless you literally break apart the companies in a way that they compete against themselves.

Amazon Market place would need to be broken up into different product types.

Facebook would need to be broken up by... media type shared?

Google would need to have its search engine broken up by... I don't even know.

These companies are successful because they are massively convenient and humans are lazy/strive for efficiency. Regulation preventing them from exploiting their market share is more likely to have results than somehow arbitrarily breaking them up.

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 8, 2019, 14:40 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Mar 8, 2019, 12:59:
You don't need to break them up you simply need to regulate them. No more data-raping people. Make them pay their fair share of taxes, eliminate all the tax loopholes, etc. etc. etc. And watch as they magically turn into responsible corporate citizens who can *gasp* still make money.

Absolutely about the taxes, esp after the new tax law that passed last year in the US, but that's a different issue.

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 8, 2019, 14:37 MDB

Beamer wrote on Mar 8, 2019, 13:42:
But how do you regulate Amazon flexing its weight when it's 60%+ of some manufacturer's retail revenue?

Listen, I'm not advocating for breaking up Amazon here, but I am saying it's not as cut-and-dry as so many make it out to be.

Yes. It's frightening just how many jars Amazon has its fingers in right now.

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo