Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Diablo on GOG.com, More Blizzard Classics to Follow

GOG.com announces a partnership to bring some of Blizzard Entertainment's classic games to their DRM-free marketplace. This kicks off with the rerelease of Diablo, the debut installment in their action/RPG series, and they say Warcraft: Orcs & Humans and Warcraft II will follow. They are offering an updated version as well as the classic original, and this supports Batte.net matchmaking. Interested? Then stay a while, and listen:

Blizzard Entertainment and GOG.COM have teamed up to rerelease select classic Blizzard games, beginning with Diablo®, Blizzard’s legendary 1996 action role-playing game that introduced players to the harsh—and deeply rewarding—world of Sanctuary.

The original Diablo is available now via digital distribution for the first time ever on GOG.COM. Players looking for the authentic Diablo experience can play the game as it was in 1996, with period-appropriate 20 FPS SVGA graphics, and the ability to matchmake through the classic version of Blizzard’s Battle.net® online-gaming service. Blizzard and GOG.COM have collaborated on an updated version of the game, which includes out-of-the-box Windows 10 compatibility, and a host of bug fixes. Players can choose either version of the game from a launcher.

"We were bummed that these iconic games weren’t available to our players, so we‘re very happy to work with the crew at GOG.COM to rectify that,” said Rob Bridenbecker, Vice President and Executive Producer, Blizzard Entertainment. “This has been a long time coming and we hope our players will be excited to jump back into these classic titles."

In addition to bringing back the first Diablo, Blizzard is planning other GOG.COM re-releases of Warcraft: Orcs & Humans and Warcraft II. More information on the return to Azeroth will be revealed soon.

"Crawling through the original Diablo's dungeons, together with Blizzard, is a feeling of pure excitement," said Oleg Klapovsky, SVP at GOG. "It's a personal thing for many of us, and the most wished-for game in our community. Taking the first few steps beneath the Tristram Cathedral, listening to the guidance of Cain the Elder—it's all coming back, for old souls and newcomers alike.”

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Diablo on GOG.com, More Blizzard Classics to Follow Mar 7, 2019, 21:10 Kxmode

CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 7, 2019, 11:49:
Kxmode wrote on Mar 7, 2019, 11:32:
CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 7, 2019, 10:35:
w00t

Nice move by Blizztard to open up their catalog to GOG. This means that the only assholes left who are keeping all of their shitty games exclusive to their own store are fucking Valve!

And EA. Well, mostly EA.

This bullshit again. EA has lots and lots of (classic) games on GOG and also on Steam.

Valve has zero games on any other platform than Steam. They are the only elitist clowns left in the exclusivity store wars between the big/popular stores.

Up until the GOG deal, Blizzard only sold their games on their site and platform, so for one of their games to finally appear on another store is a big deal. Let's hope Diablo isn't the only offering.

Up until 2011, EA sold PC games on Steam because that was the only way to distribute their games to a large PC audience. EA doesn't do DRM-free for their modern/new games so they won't be selling them on GOG anytime soon. After June 2011, EA stopped selling their games on Steam and began selling them exclusively through Origin, and it's been like that since. The difference between EA and Valve is Valve had Steam since Half-Life 2. So, of course, they're going to sell their products exclusively on their platform, especially if Steam is the biggest on PC. If EA had a Steam from the early 2000s, they would have sold their product exclusively there.

So when I said "And EA. Well, mostly EA.," I was pointing out that right now EA is the only big publisher who sells all their games since 2011 exclusively on their platform. Blizzard used to hold that record for decades but lost it with the GOG deal.

I hope that clarified my comment.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Diablo on GOG.com, More Blizzard Classics to Follow Mar 7, 2019, 19:41 Scottish Martial Arts

El Pit wrote on Mar 7, 2019, 10:56:
CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 7, 2019, 10:52:
You MUST grab fan patches to get some of the classic C&C games to run on modern systems.

This is why I'd prefer to buy them on GOG: they would be released to run on Win7/8/10 out of the box.

I own the Origin C&C collection - but I neither have the time nor the patience for patching and experimenting with the older games. This is why I would rather pay GOG some money to do it.

No need for experimenting and patches, just download, install, and play (to include multiplayer): https://cncnet.org/red-alert#download

19. Re: Diablo on GOG.com, More Blizzard Classics to Follow Mar 7, 2019, 15:35 MattyC

Burrito of Peace wrote on Mar 7, 2019, 09:54:
So Blackthorne, too, yeah?

IIRC you can download that from Battle.net and have been able to for a while now.

EDIT: Yep, Blackthorne, The Lost Vikings, and Rock n' Roll Racing are all up for free at https://us.battle.net/account/download/.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2019, 15:35 WaltC

Deathbishop wrote on Mar 7, 2019, 12:54:

GoG has become the dumping ground for some devs that want to make a few bucks off of titles that the market has completely discarded.

It's more like GOG is a repository for hard-to-find classic games updated to run on modern operating systems, and in legitimate, DRM-free formats (also free of malware, adware, and viruses.) If "the market" had completely discarded these then they would not be available on GOG, eh? Gog = a sizable chunk of "the market." Also, the original developers of those games have for the most part sold their stakes in them several years, even decades, ago. It's the people and companies who now own the IP who are wisely turning it over to GOG as opposed to letting it rot in place and doing no one any good. There are whole generations of young gamers coming along who never heard of many of these classic games--but thanks to Good Old Games, they can enjoy them, too.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

17. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Mar 7, 2019, 15:30 Darks

Kajetan wrote on Mar 7, 2019, 10:37:
Dune 2000 and Emperor: Battle for Dune again on a modern system.
Dune 2000 works pretty good on modern systems. A problem is only the old 16bit setup on the CD, which does not like anything newer than Windows XP But you can use OpenRA or the GruntMods Edition of Dune2000.

Emperor on the other hand ... this requires some heavy patching.

Dune 2 hands down was the best of those games.

Seeing how Funcom now licensed the Dune IP, and they have Pertrolyph working on the new Conan game. I'm really hoping they also hire them to make a new Dune RTS game. Since this is the same group of guys from Westwood Studios that made Dune 2 and CnC

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2019, 14:11 MoreLuckThanSkill

Deathbishop wrote on Mar 7, 2019, 12:54:
w00t

Nice move by Blizztard to open up their catalog to GOG. This means that the only assholes left who are keeping all of their shitty games exclusive to their own store are fucking Valve!

Actually they still are. They are not letting GoG sell games that are still being sold on Battle.net like Diablo 2.

GoG has become the dumping ground for some devs that want to make a few bucks off of titles that the market has completely discarded.

Unfortunately, this is true. There is a fair amount of ancient games on Gog that are effectively shovelware; some publisher or developer trying to grind a few more coins out of people by selling them games they probably already own on old CDs/DVDs, but will buy again out of nostalgia.

*DISCLAIMER* I have bought and will continue to buy quite a lot of games on Gog, sometimes out of nostalgia.

Diablo, Diablo 2, and even Diablo 3, I don't think I'll bother to ever get again in any format, simply too many hours already spent on those.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2019, 12:54 Deathbishop

w00t

Actually they still are. They are not letting GoG sell games that are still being sold on Battle.net like Diablo 2.

14. Re: Diablo on GOG.com, More Blizzard Classics to Follow Mar 7, 2019, 11:49 CJ_Parker

Kxmode wrote on Mar 7, 2019, 11:32:
w00t

And EA. Well, mostly EA.

This bullshit again. EA has lots and lots of (classic) games on GOG and also on Steam.

Valve has zero games on any other platform than Steam. They are the only elitist clowns left in the exclusivity store wars between the big/popular stores.

13. Re: Diablo on GOG.com, More Blizzard Classics to Follow Mar 7, 2019, 11:32 Kxmode

w00t

And EA. Well, mostly EA.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

12. Re: Diablo on GOG.com, More Blizzard Classics to Follow Mar 7, 2019, 11:31 Kxmode

El Pit wrote on Mar 7, 2019, 09:52:
WOW! This is unexpected! What next? Command & Conquer and Dune from EA on GOG.com? Crazy! But welcome!

I have the Blade Runner game from Westwood. But I would love to see that on GOG.

11. Re: Diablo on GOG.com, More Blizzard Classics to Follow Mar 7, 2019, 11:30 Kxmode

Wow! Right on! That's a big thing. Blizzard doesn't sell their games on any platform but their own. Good on GOG.  

10. Re: Diablo on GOG.com, More Blizzard Classics to Follow Mar 7, 2019, 11:29 PHJF

I just started playing d2 again. It’s shockingly laggy on blizzards servers... hardcore would be impossible  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

9. Re: Diablo on GOG.com, More Blizzard Classics to Follow Mar 7, 2019, 11:12 CJ_Parker

El Pit wrote on Mar 7, 2019, 10:56:
I own the Origin C&C collection - but I neither have the time nor the patience for patching and experimenting with the older games. This is why I would rather pay GOG some money to do it.

Meh, you lazy bum .

Dude, if you want to relive the real classic experience then you gotta put some effort into these games.
As you will remember, it's not like the original C&C DOS version ran straight out of the box. It took a boot disk or at least some editing of config.sys and autoexec.bat.

By the way, I actually played a little Red Alert (Origin version) not too long ago. Getting that one to work was pretty painless thanks to the awesome "OpenRA" fan project. The classic C&C games certainly haven't aged very well in spite of those resuscitation efforts though.

8. Re: Diablo on GOG.com, More Blizzard Classics to Follow Mar 7, 2019, 10:56 El Pit

CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 7, 2019, 10:52:
You MUST grab fan patches to get some of the classic C&C games to run on modern systems.

This is why I'd prefer to buy them on GOG: they would be released to run on Win7/8/10 out of the box.

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

7. Re: Diablo on GOG.com, More Blizzard Classics to Follow Mar 7, 2019, 10:52 CJ_Parker

WOW! This is unexpected! What next? Command & Conquer and Dune from EA on GOG.com? Crazy! But welcome!

EA has lots of their classics on GOG so it might happen. In the meantime one can always grab the ultimate C&C Collection from Origin which includes every single Command & Conquer game plus some digital goodies (btw, the Origin key for the C&C collection is only €4.59 at CDKeys.com).
The C&C bundle is also part of the basic sub on Origin so you can have it for as little as €3.99/month.

Those classic C&C versions on Origin are pretty damn raw though. EA literally just uploaded the original ISOs or something. You MUST grab fan patches to get some of the classic C&C games to run on modern systems.

6. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Mar 7, 2019, 10:37 Kajetan

Dune 2000 and Emperor: Battle for Dune again on a modern system.
Dune 2000 works pretty good on modern systems. A problem is only the old 16bit setup on the CD, which does not like anything newer than Windows XP But you can use OpenRA or the GruntMods Edition of Dune2000.

Emperor on the other hand ... this requires some heavy patching.

5. Re: Diablo on GOG.com, More Blizzard Classics to Follow Mar 7, 2019, 10:35 CJ_Parker

w00t

4. Re: Diablo on GOG.com, More Blizzard Classics to Follow Mar 7, 2019, 09:58 Efflixi

I am truly stunned at this news. While honestly, I won't play the original due to it's extremely outdated gameplay mechanics, this is amazing news.  

3. Re: Diablo on GOG.com, More Blizzard Classics to Follow Mar 7, 2019, 09:54 Burrito of Peace

Oh please, please, please yes! I want to play Dune 2000 and Emperor: Battle for Dune again on a modern system.

2. Re: Diablo on GOG.com, More Blizzard Classics to Follow Mar 7, 2019, 09:54 Burrito of Peace

So Blackthorne, too, yeah?  

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo