Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

Today is Ash Wednesday, so hats off (literally) for all who are celebrating. This means I forgot yesterday was Shrove Tuesday. So I missed Mardi Gras, and more tragically, Pancake Tuesday, as I love pancakes. Well, I blew my chance to get plastic beads for flashing my goods, but at least I can still get some pancakes, so I'll have to content myself with that.

R.I.P.: Jerry Merryman, 'brilliant' man who was an inventor of the calculator, dies. Thanks Boing Boing.

Pancaked Links: Thanks Ant.
Links: The Hot New ‘Doom’ Mod Is a Nightmare DIY Bathroom Renovation. Thanks Boing Boing.
Stories: Czech man mauled to death by lion he kept in back yard. The Florida man of Europe?
Women's cycling race forced to pause after lead rider catches men's race.
Science: NASA visualizes supersonic shockwaves in a new, awe-inspiring way.
Fast-Acting Depression Drug, Newly Approved, Could Help Millions.
Brain Surface Area Reveals Overlap in Genes, Intelligence, Evolution. Thanks Max.
Breakthrough process welds metal and glass together using ultrafast lasers. Thanks Max.
Media: Shade Away - Epic NPC Man (Annoying MMO Trolls and griefers).
Alien: Isolation Digital Series Trailer.
Watch Japan's Hayabusa2 Grab a Piece of an Asteroid in This Incredible Video.
Follow-up: Teen who defied anti-vax mom says she got false information from one source: Facebook.
Hipster whines at tech mag for using his pic to imply hipsters look the same, discovers pic was of an entirely different hipster.
The Funnies: Savage Chickens.

View
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

50. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2019, 11:29 Mr. Tact

Beamer wrote on Mar 7, 2019, 10:08:
...Idris Elba's stardom really kicked in over 40.
I really like him, loved him in "Molly's Game". Two other late bloomers, Morgan Freeman and Liam Neeson.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: Into the Black Mar 7, 2019, 10:15 RedEye9

D-Rock wrote on Mar 7, 2019, 08:39:
Beamer wrote on Mar 7, 2019, 08:20:

Maybe you can understand them. Maybe you can adapt. More likely, you'll refuse to change with the times, stay stuck in your own ways, then wonder why your own promotions start slowing and why fewer people are interested in working with you. One day, when your company changes direction, they'll find you easy to shed in the layoff, because you haven't really contributed much in a decade and don't fit into the culture well. You no longer see eye-to-eye with management, and just mutter around about how everyone but you is too busy not knowing anything to ask you what you know.

This does not end well for you. The old person whining about young people never ends up well. You're not the future, they are. Old CEOs whining about young people see their companies struggle to hire as other companies offer more compelling visions. But old employees are even more screwed, as they just start getting passed over routinely for more likeable, better leaders that can actually connect with those around them. You can look inside yourself and change, or you can keep whining here about things that make you sound like Clint Eastwood (circa 2019, not circa 1972.) You're a step away from saying that they don't own homes because they enjoy avocado toast, while ignoring the 5-6 figure student loan debt other generations put upon them.

Oh the irony of your post. Rolleyes
sigh
someone has no clue what irony means

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

48. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2019, 10:08 Beamer

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 7, 2019, 09:47:
Yeah, the "this is my fifth 29th birthday" stuff has definitely been going on for a very long time. And you are certainly correct our society is more age conscious about women than men. Things in that vein have gotten better over the last couple of decades, but there is still a long way to go before things are the same for men and women.

If you mean Hollywood, this is something I find fascinating and have thought of a good amount, at least casually, so I'll ramble a bit, haha.

For women, the career as a traditional leading lady is over as soon as they play a mother. Perhaps its due to the career being over that they play a mother, but once they do that the odds of them being a romantic lead again become exceedingly slim. In general, leading roles seem to dry up at 30 unless they somehow pivot into an action star. If you're someone like Charlize Theron (who is unfairly beautiful and defies most rules), Emily Blunt, or Scarlett Johansson, you can definitely extend by becoming a legitimate action star.

For men, well, George Clooney pulled off romantic lead until about 50, but has always looked older than his age (or, maybe more accurately, looked his age.) Brad Pitt also seemed to stop around 50, but could probably still get cast in it today if he wanted. I know they're superstars and not the norm, but Idris Elba's stardom really kicked in over 40.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

47. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2019, 09:47 Mr. Tact

Yeah, the "this is my fifth 29th birthday" stuff has definitely been going on for a very long time. And you are certainly correct our society is more age conscious about women than men. Things in that vein have gotten better over the last couple of decades, but there is still a long way to go before things are the same for men and women.  

46. Re: Into the Black Mar 7, 2019, 09:21 Beamer

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 7, 2019, 09:05:
There is nothing wrong with, or new about, people in their 20s being shell-shocked about hitting 30. You probably did it.
I realize this wasn't addressed to me, but I wanted to comment on it. It's possible Kxmode didn't experience this, every one is different and has different perceptions especially about the nature of themselves. Speaking personally, I never was surprised or "shell-shocked" about reaching any age. But then I'm an odd bird, when I'm asked my age I usually have to take a second to calculate it. Since my pre-teens when I stopped have birthday parties I simply started ignoring my birthday and my age.

That said, I would agree with Beamer that this type of personal reaction to reaching "mile marker" birthdays is not uncommon.

I think, for most guys, it's generally a bit different, as you say, our birthdays stop being something we much care about at an early age and something we instead don't think about unless a significant other throws a party for us. Then again, it's far less important in society for men, as we neither have a Sweet 16 as a big deal, nor do we get as many questions about being single in our 30s, nor do we see our peers getting less and less work as actors when they hit 30 (seriously, just look at Hollywood and see how many women get leading roles above 30 that don't involve being a parent.)

Speaking of Hollywood, there are dozens of movies in the 80s and 90s about someone freaking out about hitting 30. I can't think of any in the 70s, but there were certainly ones with a woman lying about being under 30, or joking about turning 29 again.

-------------

45. Re: Into the Black Mar 7, 2019, 09:05 Mr. Tact

There is nothing wrong with, or new about, people in their 20s being shell-shocked about hitting 30. You probably did it.
I realize this wasn't addressed to me, but I wanted to comment on it. It's possible Kxmode didn't experience this, every one is different and has different perceptions especially about the nature of themselves. Speaking personally, I never was surprised or "shell-shocked" about reaching any age. But then I'm an odd bird, when I'm asked my age I usually have to take a second to calculate it. Since my pre-teens when I stopped have birthday parties I simply started ignoring my birthday and my age.

That said, I would agree with Beamer that this type of personal reaction to reaching "mile marker" birthdays is not uncommon.

44. Re: Into the Black Mar 7, 2019, 08:39 D-Rock

Maybe you can understand them. Maybe you can adapt. More likely, you'll refuse to change with the times, stay stuck in your own ways, then wonder why your own promotions start slowing and why fewer people are interested in working with you. One day, when your company changes direction, they'll find you easy to shed in the layoff, because you haven't really contributed much in a decade and don't fit into the culture well. You no longer see eye-to-eye with management, and just mutter around about how everyone but you is too busy not knowing anything to ask you what you know.

This does not end well for you. The old person whining about young people never ends up well. You're not the future, they are. Old CEOs whining about young people see their companies struggle to hire as other companies offer more compelling visions. But old employees are even more screwed, as they just start getting passed over routinely for more likeable, better leaders that can actually connect with those around them. You can look inside yourself and change, or you can keep whining here about things that make you sound like Clint Eastwood (circa 2019, not circa 1972.) You're a step away from saying that they don't own homes because they enjoy avocado toast, while ignoring the 5-6 figure student loan debt other generations put upon them.

Oh the irony of your post. Rolleyes

43. Re: Into the Black Mar 7, 2019, 08:20 Beamer

Kxmode wrote on Mar 6, 2019, 20:41:
Beamer wrote on Mar 6, 2019, 18:44:
Millennials didn't raise themselves. Also, learn from history. People used to whine that Generation X was the worst ever. Old people whine about young people because to they're too lazy to do anything else.

Don't be a stereotype. And if your company is hiring bad employees, fix your hiring process.

I know you love being right, but I suspect you hate being wrong even more so let me stop you from going down the path you're taking.

In my "nothing is worse" anecdotes about Millennials never did I state laziness or bash their work ethic — quite the opposite. From first-hand observations, Millennials are hard working task-oriented individuals. There's a boom of creativity with all the new industries they've created like pro-streaming and professional gaming. They have also given us products like Facebook, Youtube, Myspace, Twitter, Instagram, Uber and so forth. All of it birthed from an always-connected existence.

What I was noting in my posts was their total lack of knowledge of particular things combined with their lack of wanting to query persons who do know things. It has led to them discussing "gender neutrality," "cultural appropriation day," and now "what reaching age 30 is like" all of which are "nothing worse than" moments for me.

As a generation, they are equal parts Will Hunting and that bar guy Will owns with his apple metaphor. They invariably attempt to one-up each another with their head knowledge and get into little feuds over who's right and wrong, and boy do they love to prove the other wrong even when it is painfully obvious they have no idea of what they're talking about. That's where Millennials sit for me. I think rhetoric is making a strong come-back with this generation.

I know you hate reading, but I didn't say you called millennials lazy, I called you lazy for whining about them. Rather than understand them or work with them, you whine about them, because you're too lazy to do anything beyond whining about them.

There is nothing wrong with, or new about, people in their 20s being shell-shocked about hitting 30. You probably did it. If there's a woman in your life, she absolutely did it. Every single generation has done it. Every. Single. One.

And we all know you hate science, so your opinions on gender are based on your rudimentary understanding rather than science, but this makes you out to be the fossil (though I think you don't actually believe in fossils), not them being wrong.

-------------

42. Re: Into the Black Mar 7, 2019, 00:23 Kxmode

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 6, 2019, 21:40:
Kxmode wrote on Mar 6, 2019, 21:31:
I thought they changed their name to IHOB as in International House of Burgers?
Guessing this is sarcasm, but in the off-chance you missed it -- the IHOB was just an advertising thing to remind people they serve burgers.

/noted

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

41. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2019, 22:12 Hoop

You were shovelling snow in your pyjama pants, I'm going to say there was an extremely high chance you flashed your goods.  

Um .. Behind you...

40. Re: Into the Black Mar 6, 2019, 21:40 Mr. Tact

Kxmode wrote on Mar 6, 2019, 21:31:
Guessing this is sarcasm, but in the off-chance you missed it -- the IHOB was just an advertising thing to remind people they serve burgers.

39. Re: Into the Black Mar 6, 2019, 21:31 Kxmode

Acleacius wrote on Mar 6, 2019, 18:27:
IHOP gives free pancakes and beads, for flashing your junk? Welcome

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

38. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2019, 20:43 Steele Johnson

Kxmode wrote on Mar 6, 2019, 17:30:
Beamer wrote on Mar 6, 2019, 15:01:
Kxmode wrote on Mar 6, 2019, 14:51:
Nothing is worse than listening to 20-something Millennials talk about how horrible reaching age 30 is next to a person who is over 40 and has the experience. *rolls eyes*

I finally figured out what Millennials are. They're all the know-it-all teenagers who never grew up. Nobody bothered to put them in their place and tell them, "you don't know what you're talking about." Society collectively gave them stickers even when what they're saying isn't true. That contributed to an inflated sense of knowledge.

I think perhaps once they reach age 50 they will finally realize they knew nothing when they were young (or not; who knows). Quite possibly one of the worst generation of people.

Oh, good, someone complaining about millenials. That's novel.
But there's no way they are the worst generation. The Boomers have permanently fucked our economy and our planet in their scorched-earth greed. That seems way worse than someone feeling like they're reaching an age that once seemed impossibly far away but is well below yours. Plus, who the hell do you think gave them those stickers? If you train your dog to bite people, and he bites someone, who's worse - you or your dog?

The sticker comment comes from millennials growing up around entitlements as in nobody loses and everyone gets a sticker or a trophy. Their sense of worth is inflated to levels that do not gel with the real world. Every teen goes through the I-know-everything phase (I did when I was a teen). The difference here is nobody bothers to correct millennials because doing so "stifles their free expression and creative thinking" (I had my "free expression" and "creative thinking" stifled very early by my teachers and society at large, and I learned from it). Now when those entitlement kids go to college their know-it-all gets amplified to an nth degree. You mix that with equal-parts entitlement and that's when you get a millennial.

Re: "Plus, who the hell do you think gave them those stickers? If you train your dog to bite people, and he bites someone, who's worse - you or your dog?"

I no idea what you're going on about here.

Millennials didn't raise themselves. Also, learn from history. People used to whine that Generation X was the worst ever. Old people whine about young people because to they're too lazy to do anything else.

Don't be a stereotype. And if your company is hiring bad employees, fix your hiring process.

The generation blame game never ends lol. No matter how you look at it, there are pros and cons to every generation. And not all people who were born between those years are to blame. Geeze, talk about stereotyping. Give it a rest.

"The hardest thing to do is to be true to yourself, especially when everybody is watching." - Dave Chappelle

37. Re: Into the Black Mar 6, 2019, 20:41 Kxmode

I know you love being right, but I suspect you hate being wrong even more so let me stop you from going down the path you're taking.

In my "nothing is worse" anecdotes about Millennials never did I state laziness or bash their work ethic — quite the opposite. From first-hand observations, Millennials are hard working task-oriented individuals. There's a boom of creativity with all the new industries they've created like pro-streaming and professional gaming. They have also given us products like Facebook, Youtube, Myspace, Twitter, Instagram, Uber and so forth. All of it birthed from an always-connected existence.

What I was noting in my posts was their total lack of knowledge of particular things combined with their lack of wanting to query persons who do know things. It has led to them discussing "gender neutrality," "cultural appropriation day," and now "what reaching age 30 is like" all of which are "nothing worse than" moments for me.

As a generation, they are equal parts Will Hunting and that bar guy Will owns with his apple metaphor. They invariably attempt to one-up each another with their head knowledge and get into little feuds over who's right and wrong, and boy do they love to prove the other wrong even when it is painfully obvious they have no idea of what they're talking about. That's where Millennials sit for me. I think rhetoric is making a strong come-back with this generation.

36. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2019, 18:44 Beamer

Kxmode wrote on Mar 6, 2019, 17:30:
Beamer wrote on Mar 6, 2019, 15:01:
Nothing is worse than listening to 20-something Millennials talk about how horrible reaching age 30 is next to a person who is over 40 and has the experience. *rolls eyes*

I finally figured out what Millennials are. They're all the know-it-all teenagers who never grew up. Nobody bothered to put them in their place and tell them, "you don't know what you're talking about." Society collectively gave them stickers even when what they're saying isn't true. That contributed to an inflated sense of knowledge.

I think perhaps once they reach age 50 they will finally realize they knew nothing when they were young (or not; who knows). Quite possibly one of the worst generation of people.

Oh, good, someone complaining about millenials. That's novel.
But there's no way they are the worst generation. The Boomers have permanently fucked our economy and our planet in their scorched-earth greed. That seems way worse than someone feeling like they're reaching an age that once seemed impossibly far away but is well below yours. Plus, who the hell do you think gave them those stickers? If you train your dog to bite people, and he bites someone, who's worse - you or your dog?

The sticker comment comes from millennials growing up around entitlements as in nobody loses and everyone gets a sticker or a trophy. Their sense of worth is inflated to levels that do not gel with the real world. Every teen goes through the I-know-everything phase (I did when I was a teen). The difference here is nobody bothers to correct millennials because doing so "stifles their free expression and creative thinking" (I had my "free expression" and "creative thinking" stifled very early by my teachers and society at large, and I learned from it). Now when those entitlement kids go to college their know-it-all gets amplified to an nth degree. You mix that with equal-parts entitlement and that's when you get a millennial.

Re: "Plus, who the hell do you think gave them those stickers? If you train your dog to bite people, and he bites someone, who's worse - you or your dog?"

I no idea what you're going on about here.

-------------

35. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2019, 18:27 Acleacius

IHOP gives free pancakes and beads, for flashing your junk? Welcome  

people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2019, 17:56 Cutter

Nothing is worse than listening to 20-something Millennials talk about how horrible reaching age 30 is next to a person who is over 40 and has the experience. Would it kill them to ask someone who actually knows what the experience is like? And what it is like to reach age 40? Experience > Head knowledge. *rolls eyes*

I was 22 when my folks hit 40 and I thought that was one foot in the grave old at the time. When Elvis kicked off at 42 I thought he had led a long and happy life. Wisdom only comes with the benefit of hindsight and you need experience for that. It's like that great line form Indy ROTLA where Marion says, "You're not the man I knew ten years ago," and he replies "It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage."
Millennials or not, that will never change. It's that famous Wolfe quote, "The problem with youth is it's wasted on the young."

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

33. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2019, 17:47 Cutter

A touque is just a warm hat. It can be a stocking cap, a longshoreman cap, etc. Anything that keeps your head actually warm in winter - never a baseball cap, newsboy cap, etc. The K-beckers always wore stocking caps. Whereas the rest of mostly wear longshoreman caps in the winter. Unless it's cold as a witch's teet in which case it's time to break out the balaclava. Scarves and gloves here are almost always more about practicality than fashion.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

32. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2019, 17:37 Burrito of Peace

jdreyer wrote on Mar 6, 2019, 15:11:
Or as the Canadians call it, "a took."

"toque"

Though I am not a Canadian. Soonish, probably, but not yet.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2019, 17:36 Burrito of Peace

Beamer wrote on Mar 6, 2019, 14:38:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Mar 6, 2019, 14:36:
Eschew beanies. All hail the glorious ushanka!

So we've identified a second Russian bot here, after JDreyer!

Dah komrad. Vant to see Trump pee pee tapes?

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo