Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Comment Moderator Mar 6, 2019, 08:14  Beamer 

NamecaF wrote on Mar 6, 2019, 01:01:
Bill Borre wrote on Mar 5, 2019, 11:19:
Whatever happened to the idea that everyone had a right to their opinion?

Oh man, I miss those days. They're long gone now

You guys can be so weasely about this. No one is taking away the right to an opinion. If you want to believe that the parents of Sandy Hook are actors, fine, you can hold that opinion.

People are preventing you from spreading that opinion in private places. Much like Blue will ban people for things they do here, that's something you're allowed to do.

If I came into your home and started screaming at you about something ridiculously untrue, and made everyone you'd invited into your home uncomfortable to the point that they were leaving, would you let me stay there, screaming at you, because it's my opinion? No, you wouldn't.

Yet, hypocritically, if someone does it on Reddit, or here, you guys think it's the highest point of censorship. Because, as white guys (and yes, it does mostly come back to race if you look at the people holding the opinion you're expressing), the worst form of institutionalized oppression we have is some guy on reddit deleting one of our posts.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Comment Moderator Mar 6, 2019, 01:01 NamecaF

Oh man, I miss those days. They're long gone now

"I hope those bastards get inoperable brain cancer that they have passed on to their children."
-RedEye9

18. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 5, 2019, 19:16  wtf_man 

Nullity wrote on Mar 5, 2019, 17:02:
I do also have Amazon Prime, but that's hit or miss on whether you'll have to pay extra (in my case, whatever I'm looking for is almost always an extra charge).

Depends... Like Cable you can susbcribe to other Channels on Prime.

We order so much stuff from Amazon, that Prime pays for itself (wnd we don't buy non-prime movies or shows.)

Since I'm a gear-head... I pay $5 extra a month for the MotorTrend channel on Prime... and that covers 90%of my vieweing.

The wife... I got her Hulu too... so she watches my gear-head stuff, plus other stuff on prime and hulu (ad free).

The thing is, we go enjoy our motorsport toys on the weekends so the only time for TV really is 2-3 hours in the evenings during the work week. IF the weather is nasty, I usually play a game on the PC while she watches her crap on Prime or Hulu.

Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

17. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 5, 2019, 18:28 WaltC

Cord Cutting need not be "take it or leave it".

Deals like the one I am presently fortunate enough to enjoy pretty much eliminate cord-cutting decisions entirely. Like lots of other things in life, this, too, is not an "either-or" situation in which you must do one or the other because you cannot do both at the same time. (I think people love "conflict" portrayal in general and therefore set up everything in these either-or showdowns...;)) Right now I have the best "package deal" from an ISP I've ever seen--best in terms of value and performance per dollar spent since I moved from BBS's to the Internet at large in '95! Nothing I've had since, from any ISP (I've had maybe a dozen), comes close.

First Service: Internet. In my apartment building, I'm on an Ethernet-WAN, with the fiber connect not quite 50 feet from my computer-room desk [Nice...!]. I've got a solid bandwidth of 12 MegaBytes/s down and up, no caps of any sort either way, and unless the Internet site server I connect to caps my download speed, or the site is being hammered beyond its capacity, I *always* get that level of performance. Great for streaming movies from Netflix and Amazon through my Sony BR recorder/player, or computers.

It's regrettable that some folks believe they are being throttled by their ISP in cases where the site they connect to has throttled their download speeds. For instance, Nexus throttles my downloads with a cap of 1 mbyte/s down (I keep forgetting to go ahead and buy the lifetime deal from them that is free of these kinds of artificial caps.) Even so, I can activate a half dozen or so separate simultaneous download streams from Nexus (should I need them) that cap out at ~1.5 MBytes/s (single downloads run @ ~990kb), so I stay a little ahead of the Nexus caps in certain situations.

But the caps exist not because of my ISP but solely because of Nexus. Lots of sites--lots of them--arbitrarily put caps on their downloads. Nothing wrong or even slightly misleading about that. A decent site will tell the user--but many just don't bother beyond the fine print. As a result, many people think their ISP is doing the throttling and start screaming for "net neutrality" to "fix it". Same goes for instances where the server is getting hammered by a demand it cannot serve *without* throttling the downloads it permits, etc. But that's another topic...;)

My ISP reliability hovers close to the 100% mark--which is also a first in my experience--can't remember Internet downtime being more than 1-2 days, maximum, over the last three years (and that happened because someone doing a construction project cut a local cable--you know the drill.)

Second Service: Land-Line Phone... is land-line phone service with unlimited minutes in the US-- (maybe elsewhere, too, but that is something I have no interest in.)

Third service: The Cord *gasp* *shock* "~1001 channels of mostly mindless reruns, soap operas, and the crime show reruns that my wife endlessly enjoys--all nicely polished in HD format, etc. We even get our local HD "News, Weather, and Sports," etc and etc. Yawn.

***Also nice is that fact that my Internet EWAN is wired independently from the HD TV package, as is the phone service, so that bandwidths required for each service do not leech from each other! Last ISP I had before this one, the HD TV & Internet were both on the same "circuit" so that if I was was downloading a large file with max bandwidth it would eat into my TV bandwidth, degrading the picture visibly so long as the download took! Nice to get away from that, too!***

So for services 1,2 & 3, as described above, I pay the incredible price of... $60 per month in total including all taxes and fees! Holy Cow, Batman!...;) I was paying double that just for "the cord" a decade back--no Internet; no phone. Bill for all three back then was ~$250 + per month. Things have certainly changed for the better--massively!

My ISP today? Comcast Xfinity, the ISP some people love to hate, for some unfathomable reason.

It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)

16. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 5, 2019, 18:27  Simon Says 

"Cut the cord" as soon as I got broadband with a relatively reasonable cap. I haven't had to watch a single ad since then...  

15. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 5, 2019, 18:14  jdreyer 

wtf_man wrote on Mar 5, 2019, 13:54:
The 6 dumbest cases against cord-cutting

Cord cut back in 2007... haven't looked back!

2003 here. Although I just moved and cable is included. Used it to watch the SB and that was it.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

14. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 5, 2019, 17:38 Creston

Nullity wrote on Mar 5, 2019, 14:16:
The 6 dumbest cases against cord-cutting.
I would love to cut the cord, but the most important factor to me is being able to skip advertisements. I can't fucking STAND commercials. With a cable DVR, I timeshift everything I watch and just skip over all the commercials.

Yes, I know that Hulu as an ad-free version, but that's only a small subset of content. Also, some live streaming services now have DVR functions, but you cannot skip/remove the ads. Unfortunately, until there is a way to cut the cord entirely without commercials, I'll happily pay extra for cable (yes, I hate ads that much).

How many shows would you say you watch a year? Is it more than 35?

You're probably paying a good $100 for cable. So that's 1200 a year. A season of a show on DVD probably averages out to about 35 bucks. (it's often a lot less, I can't think of the last time I paid 35 bucks for a season.) So that's 35 shows you could buy and watch, ad-free, for your cable money.

13. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 5, 2019, 17:12  Gojo 

Nullity wrote on Mar 5, 2019, 17:02:
But even if all that content was available (which it's not), that's only the on demand stuff. None of the live TV stuff has any way of avoiding ads.

True, but it was surprisingly easy to give up live TV. Most if not all the shows I want to see will eventually be on one of my services. If not, you can always buy it. Also, I'm not a sports fan (except MMA) so this helped for sure.
Oh I should have included YouTube Premium, I watch more youtube than the other services combined.

=-Gojo-=

12. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 5, 2019, 17:02 Nullity

Gojo wrote on Mar 5, 2019, 16:54:
What are these ad's you're referring to?
Netflix - ad-free
Hulu - ad-free
Amazon Prime - ad-free
DC Universe - ad-free (Doom Patrol is the shit)
Stars - ad-free
HBO - ad-free (sort of, they have commercials for their other content which irks me but you can skip em)

Any shows I don't get currently (like AMC's preacher) I just wait until it's on one of my services. No commercials ever.

Sorry, I guess I should have been more clear. I was mostly referring to services that allow you to stream TV like network/cable channel shows. I do also have Amazon Prime, but that's hit or miss on whether you'll have to pay extra (in my case, whatever I'm looking for is almost always an extra charge). Star/HBO are premium services and DC universe is its own separate thing. I'm just talking about standard stuff like AMC, Comedy Central, SyFy, etc, etc.

But even if all that content was available (which it's not), that's only the on demand stuff. None of the live TV stuff has any way of avoiding ads.

11. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 5, 2019, 16:54  Gojo 

What are these ad's you're referring to?
Netflix - ad-free
Hulu - ad-free
Amazon Prime - ad-free
DC Universe - ad-free (Doom Patrol is the shit)
Stars - ad-free
HBO - ad-free (sort of, they have commercials for their other content which irks me but you can skip em)

Any shows I don't get currently (like AMC's preacher) I just wait until it's on one of my services. No commercials ever.

=-Gojo-=

10. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 5, 2019, 15:32 Nullity

wtf_man wrote on Mar 5, 2019, 15:26:
Unfortunately, most of the crap channels have 30% commercials (8+ minutes within a 30 minute show and super frequent breaks, 18 or so minutes in an hour show)... which is "a lot of skipping to do".

1. I'd rather not deal with skipping at all (Too lazy)
2. I'm not paying $70-$100 a month for commercials (skippable or not)
You're right, the best choice is obviously completely ad-free with no commercials at all. However, since that's not an option outside of Netflix (which I already subscribe to) and Hulu (which I don't subscribe to because it's a limited content selection and I still have cable), being able to skip through them is much more desirable than being forced to watch/sit through them.

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 5, 2019, 15:26  wtf_man 

Nullity wrote on Mar 5, 2019, 14:16:
I would love to cut the cord, but the most important factor to me is being able to skip advertisements. I can't fucking STAND commercials. With a cable DVR, I timeshift everything I watch and just skip over all the commercials.

Unfortunately, most of the crap channels have 30% commercials (8+ minutes within a 30 minute show and super frequent breaks, 18 or so minutes in an hour show)... which is "a lot of skipping to do".

1. I'd rather not deal with skipping at all (Too lazy)
2. I'm not paying $70-$100 a month for commercials (skippable or not)

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 5, 2019, 14:16 Nullity

Yes, I know that Hulu as an ad-free version, but that's only a small subset of content. Also, some live streaming services now have DVR functions, but you cannot skip/remove the ads. Unfortunately, until there is a way to cut the cord entirely without commercials, I'll happily pay extra for cable (yes, I hate ads that much).

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 5, 2019, 13:54  wtf_man 

The 6 dumbest cases against cord-cutting

Cord cut back in 2007... haven't looked back!

6. Re: Comment moderator most important job in the world Mar 5, 2019, 12:36 Creston

Beamer wrote on Mar 5, 2019, 12:29:
Creston wrote on Mar 5, 2019, 12:24:
LOLNO.

I once saw someone say moderators censoring subreddits was the most pressing issue facing the world, so this is only about a smidge less dumb than that.

WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE POOR SUBREDDIT EDITORS! Rolleyes

5. Re: Comment moderator most important job in the world Mar 5, 2019, 12:29  Beamer 

Creston wrote on Mar 5, 2019, 12:24:
LOLNO.

I once saw someone say moderators censoring subreddits was the most pressing issue facing the world, so this is only about a smidge less dumb than that.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

4. Re: Comment Moderator Mar 5, 2019, 12:25 Creston

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 5, 2019, 12:01:
RTA
W/out moderation every thread would looks like 4chan vomited up rancid fish guts or worse, 8chan.

So out of curiosity, are 4chan and 8chan not essentially the same?

3. Comment moderator most important job in the world Mar 5, 2019, 12:24 Creston

LOLNO.

2. Re: Comment Moderator Mar 5, 2019, 12:01  RedEye9 

RTA
W/out moderation every thread would looks like 4chan vomited up rancid fish guts or worse, 8chan.

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

1. Re: Comment Moderator Mar 5, 2019, 11:19 Bill Borre

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >