Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Apex Legends Boasts 50M First Month Players

Respawn CEO Vince Zampella tweets a thank you to the players who propelled Apex Legends to such a successful launch. Word is the free-to-play battle royale game has attracted 50 million players in its first month in a tweet that also includes a highlight reel:

Thank you to the 50 million players that have shown up in the first month since Apex Legends launched! You have all made this something special and there's much more to come!

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: Apex Legends Boasts 50M First Month Players Mar 6, 2019, 12:52 jdreyer

Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 5, 2019, 16:12:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 5, 2019, 02:17:
SabreT wrote on Mar 4, 2019, 17:45:
WaltC wrote on Mar 4, 2019, 16:41:
50 million could also = 5 million with an average of 10 accounts each, and etc. I'm always leery when companies start finding large, completely unverifiable numbers to insert into their marketing spiels. Especially for games which cost *nothing* initially to play! It often is an indicator of desperation as opposed to a trumpeting of success...;) But Free-to-play internally monetized ga--er, rip-offs, are not my cup of tea, fortunately!

Please explain why anybody would need more than one account in Apex. Don't you think it would be noticed in the quarterly financials if these companies inflate the player numbers? Also with a bit of tech know-how, you can get a list of apex servers currently spun up so the numbers can be verified to a degree.

I dunno, I think Walt might be underestimating. I personally have 17 Apex accounts, and I don't even play that much.

Uh, why?

Sorry, I was being facetious.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Apex Legends Boasts 50M First Month Players Mar 5, 2019, 16:19 Osc8r

Muscular Beaver wrote on Mar 4, 2019, 22:51:
Osc8r wrote on Mar 4, 2019, 19:34:

IMO if i'm playing a game with one life, i want each fight to be intense, lasting and meaningful... where you have multiple opportunities to re-act and outplay your opponent, not just boom boom thank you mam. Personally i feel the COD style mechanics are the least suited to the BR genre.

/rant
Eh?
You have plenty opportunities in that game. How long have you played it? You dont really seem to know it.
The classes all have their special abilities that can give you an awesome advantage, *if* used right.
Fights are far quicker over in PUBG or Fortnite than in Apex. And then you also dont have the 2 possibilities to get rezzed, nor can you heal as fast as in Apex in any other game. You can actually make very bad mistakes and still live through them because of all your options. The tight packed map also gives you plenty of options to outplay your opponents or to run and lick your wounds (or get your teammates back).
If you think this is CoD style, then theres nothing to change your mind, since you already ignore all reason.

For starters, i'm not the one that had a problem with fights being over quickly - quite the opposite actually.

Secondly, i already acknowledged that being able to be rez'd was one of the better things about the game.

Thirdly, yeah... maybe put down your joystick and invest in some reading classes and get back to me when you've had a chance to level it up a bit.

-edit-
Time for another random twitch sample:
Fortnite - 170k
Apex - 110k
PUBG - 50k
Blackout - 10k

Funny how the only game that's really suffering since Apex's launch (beyond the initial new game hype period) is Blackout... you know, the game with very similar core mechanics including movement and gunplay.

This comment was edited on Mar 5, 2019, 17:01.

37. Re: Apex Legends Boasts 50M First Month Players Mar 5, 2019, 16:12 Agent.X7

50 million could also = 5 million with an average of 10 accounts each, and etc. I'm always leery when companies start finding large, completely unverifiable numbers to insert into their marketing spiels. Especially for games which cost *nothing* initially to play! It often is an indicator of desperation as opposed to a trumpeting of success...;) But Free-to-play internally monetized ga--er, rip-offs, are not my cup of tea, fortunately!

Please explain why anybody would need more than one account in Apex. Don't you think it would be noticed in the quarterly financials if these companies inflate the player numbers? Also with a bit of tech know-how, you can get a list of apex servers currently spun up so the numbers can be verified to a degree.

I dunno, I think Walt might be underestimating. I personally have 17 Apex accounts, and I don't even play that much.

Uh, why?

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

36. Re: Apex Legends Boasts 50M First Month Players Mar 5, 2019, 10:46 RedEye9

The SEC would like to have a word with you about your obvious market manipulating pyramid ponzi scheme. Shame Shame Shame
Not even Martha Stewart was so brazen.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

35. Re: Apex Legends Boasts 50M First Month Players Mar 5, 2019, 03:35 christheshitter

You must have really low standards for a shitty Battle Royale game as Apex.

34. Re: Apex Legends Boasts 50M First Month Players Mar 5, 2019, 02:17 jdreyer

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

33. Re: Apex Legends Boasts 50M First Month Players Mar 4, 2019, 22:51 Muscular Beaver

Osc8r wrote on Mar 4, 2019, 19:34:

IMO if i'm playing a game with one life, i want each fight to be intense, lasting and meaningful... where you have multiple opportunities to re-act and outplay your opponent, not just boom boom thank you mam. Personally i feel the COD style mechanics are the least suited to the BR genre.

/rant
Eh?
You have plenty opportunities in that game. How long have you played it? You dont really seem to know it.
The classes all have their special abilities that can give you an awesome advantage, *if* used right.
Fights are far quicker over in PUBG or Fortnite than in Apex. And then you also dont have the 2 possibilities to get rezzed, nor can you heal as fast as in Apex in any other game. You can actually make very bad mistakes and still live through them because of all your options. The tight packed map also gives you plenty of options to outplay your opponents or to run and lick your wounds (or get your teammates back).
If you think this is CoD style, then theres nothing to change your mind, since you already ignore all reason.

About to give up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

32. Re: Apex Legends Boasts 50M First Month Players Mar 4, 2019, 21:23 jdreyer

It's definitely the new hotness. All of my daughter's friends are playing it.  

31. Re: Apex Legends Boasts 50M First Month Players Mar 4, 2019, 19:34 Osc8r

theglaze wrote on Mar 4, 2019, 18:49:
Osc8r wrote on Mar 4, 2019, 18:11:
Yeah, but you can make games where there's more the engagements that just better aim = wins. Or where you run and slide around the map like your playing COD from the 90's.

Give more some BR games with some meaningful classes and RPG mechanics, and where fights last more than 3 seconds

Surely we have enough COD style BR games now?

Sure, uncanny aim is highly valued... but geezers like myself who don't have that flick anymore, we have to come up with other ways to win!

A large part of that is teamwork, exploiting the environment to your advantage, gear load outs that compliment your style/character/teammates, and then executing on tactics to bait, confuse, and overpower your opponents based on the situation.

If you want more RPG mechanics than that in an FPS, play Overwatch. If you want more classic styled RPG-elements within an FPS, then go play..... I can't think of one!

In my time with Apex it felt more arcadey than the other BR games, where the primary element to winning fights was aim and twitch/reflexes. Tactics and positioning etc all took a backseat due to the ability to move around the map and relocate at super human speeds. I hated the attachment system as well, just seem slow and tedious and didn't suit the gameplay.

I never could get into Overwatch, it just felt clunky and like a poor substitute to TF2.

Appreciate the input though.

I did do a quick search and it looks like there's hope for me still, looks like Black Desert and Ashes of Creation have a unique take on the BR genre, and there's also another called Spellbreak. These all appear to be bring more variety and RPG elements to the genre.

/rant

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2019, 20:19.

30. Re: Apex Legends Boasts 50M First Month Players Mar 4, 2019, 18:49 theglaze

Osc8r wrote on Mar 4, 2019, 18:11:
Yeah, but you can make games where there's more the engagements that just better aim = wins. Or where you run and slide around the map like your playing COD from the 90's.

Give more some BR games with some meaningful classes and RPG mechanics, and where fights last more than 3 seconds

Sure, uncanny aim is highly valued... but geezers like myself who don't have that flick anymore, we have to come up with other ways to win!

A large part of that is teamwork, exploiting the environment to your advantage, gear load outs that compliment your style/character/teammates, and then executing on tactics to bait, confuse, and overpower your opponents based on the situation.

If you want more RPG mechanics than that in an FPS, play Overwatch. If you want more classic styled RPG-elements within an FPS, then go play..... I can't think of one!

29. Re: Apex Legends Boasts 50M First Month Players Mar 4, 2019, 18:11 Osc8r

theglaze wrote on Mar 4, 2019, 18:02:
Retired wrote on Mar 4, 2019, 17:38:

pass. I don't need a colorful COD clone where I have to shoot someone 36 times to kill them.

Watching the top streamers it is just a jump twitch fest.
...what online FPS games don't reward crafty maneuvers with accurate aim? Pretty sure it's a cornerstone of the genre!

28. Re: Apex Legends Boasts 50M First Month Players Mar 4, 2019, 18:05 Osc8r

ledhead1969 wrote on Mar 4, 2019, 17:39:
Osc8r wrote on Mar 4, 2019, 17:29:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Mar 4, 2019, 16:48:
Osc8r wrote on Mar 4, 2019, 16:11:
Looks like is it's slowly losing it's lead on Twitch, so maybe people are starting to get bored of it already?

Not my cup of tea, just felt like a new Blackout map.
More like time of day dependent.
Fortnite is starting to be mainly non-english speaking channels. Same thing happened to PUBG.

How about right a random sample of... just now? (5:30pm in NY)

Fornite - 200k
Apex - 150k

And that's even with Shroud and DRD online for Apex, no real top Fortnite streamers currently online but Gotaga (FN) has more viewers than Shroud.

Not seeing a big non-english presence on either game.

Which is already a massive change, a few weeks ago Apex was killing Fornite in viewers at all times of the day.

So it would appear like the Apex decline has already begun... well, at least when it comes to Twitch viewers which admittedly only means so much.
That said, same thing happened to Blackout and where is it now? It was just a flash in the pan and quickly forgotten.

Didn't fortnite just release their new season pass? That probably has a lot to do with it.

Also includes Apex ping system, too.

Ah, that could explain it then, i haven't played fortnite for a few months now so i'm out of the loop.

Good to hear they added the ping system, that was one thing i found refreshing, as was the ability to rez team mates.

As a whole though i felt like Apex had no staying power, with no depth or skill ceiling outside of having good aim, so i felt it would lose momentum and interest really quickly.

But then again people love COD so i could be wrong on all points...

Oh well, i guess time will tell!

27. Re: Apex Legends Boasts 50M First Month Players Mar 4, 2019, 18:02 theglaze

Retired wrote on Mar 4, 2019, 17:38:

pass. I don't need a colorful COD clone where I have to shoot someone 36 times to kill them.

...what online FPS games don't reward crafty maneuvers with accurate aim? Pretty sure it's a cornerstone of the genre!

26. Re: Apex Legends Boasts 50M First Month Players Mar 4, 2019, 17:45 SabreT

25. Re: Apex Legends Boasts 50M First Month Players Mar 4, 2019, 17:39 ledhead1969

Osc8r wrote on Mar 4, 2019, 17:29:
Looks like is it's slowly losing it's lead on Twitch, so maybe people are starting to get bored of it already?

Fortnite is starting to be mainly non-english speaking channels. Same thing happened to PUBG.

Fornite - 200k
Apex - 150k

And that's even with Shroud and DRD online for Apex, no real top Fortnite streamers currently online but Gotaga (FN) has more viewers than Shroud.

Which is already a massive change, a few weeks ago Apex was killing Fornite in viewers at all times of the day.

So it would appear like the Apex decline has already begun... well, at least when it comes to Twitch viewers which admittedly only means so much.
That said, same thing happened to Blackout and where is it now? It was just a flash in the pan and quickly forgotten.

Didn't fortnite just release their new season pass? That probably has a lot to do with it.

Also includes Apex ping system, too.

24. Re: Apex Legends Boasts 50M First Month Players Mar 4, 2019, 17:38 Retired

23. Re: Apex Legends Boasts 50M First Month Players Mar 4, 2019, 17:29 Osc8r

Fornite - 200k
Apex - 150k

22. Re: Apex Legends Boasts 50M First Month Players Mar 4, 2019, 16:48 Muscular Beaver

About to give up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

21. Re: Apex Legends Boasts 50M First Month Players Mar 4, 2019, 16:43 Muscular Beaver

I bet they bite their asses now, seeing they could have easily become a new Epic with so much money made, yet they used EA as publisher and now they get most of the money.  

20. Re: Apex Legends Boasts 50M First Month Players Mar 4, 2019, 16:41 WaltC

It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo