Anthem Loot Changes

There's an Anthem Loot Update on Reddit where Anthem producer Ben Irving outlines changes coming today or tomorrow to how loot is handled in BioWare's mech action/RPG. Here's word:
First off, thank you for all the feedback around loot drops, this is what we have heard:

• Many inscriptions are not useful to the item they are attached to
  • Due to this, players need to get many masterworks of the same item to find a “good one”
  • Players want the frequency of masterwork drops to increase to help with the above OR…
  • They want us to change how masterwork inscriptions work so that they are more “useful”

There is more feedback, the above is a summary.

This is our plan for changes to go live on February 28th or March 1st (central US time)

• Inscriptions are now better for the items they are on
    • This applies to new items earned in Anthem (not existing ones in your Vault)
    • If an inscription applies only to the item it is on (gear icon), it will be useful to that item. Otherwise the inscription will provide a Javelin wide benefit
    • For example, an Assault Rifle will not have an item specific +pistol damage inscription. It may have a +electric damage suit wide inscription (cool for a lightning build)
    • Some more information below
  • Removed uncommon (white) and common (green) items from level 30 drop tables
    • This was a highly requested change and we agree, so that’s that.
  • We have reduced the crafting materials needed to craft a masterwork from 25 masterwork embers to 15 masterwork embers
    • As you salvage or harvest, you should be able to craft more masterwork items to get the inscriptions you are looking for
    • Now that inscriptions are more relevant to their item, this should yield better results for players

Additional inscription change details
Its hard to write a short version of this, but I’m going to try. If we need to add more information later we can do that…

• Current: There are a large pool of inscription options available to roll on items, the inscription pools are generic (e.g. Weapons)
    • Every masterwork item has 4 inscriptions – Major Primary, Minor Primary, Major Secondary, Minor Secondary
  • Change: Each item type now has a specific set of inscription options for each of their inscription pools. The pools are smaller and are targeted to the specific item type
    • E.g. there used to be a Weapon pool, now there is an Assault Rifle pool and the assault rifle pool has 4 pools for each of the inscription types listed above
    • Primary inscriptions are focused on damage or survivability
      • Any item specific inscriptions (gear icon) will always benefit the item they are on
      • Javelin wide inscriptions (suit icon) will benefit damage or survivability across the whole Javelin
    • Secondary inscriptions focus on utility and can be targeted to the item (gear icon) or the entire javelin (suit icon)

There are likely a bunch of questions, we will read through the comments and if we need an additional post to clarify things, we can work on that.

View : : :
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Anthem Loot Changes
Mar 3, 2019, 13:01
Re: Anthem Loot Changes Mar 3, 2019, 13:01
Mar 3, 2019, 13:01

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 2, 2019, 13:35:
The missions are okay, hopefully they increase in complexity some as I level up,

They won't. You've already seen every single mission objective there is to see in game at least 20 times over if you're level 11. Enjoy slogging through 19 more levels of the same shit. Literally.

Visual sync for, Fireballs from the stone guys, for example, seems to be a little off sometimes. I dodge visually but still get hit. Server load issue?

Yeah it's sync issues. Ash Titans are garbage. You'll come upon several missions where you have to kill multiple of those things. Just 30 minutes of boring grinding down the fucking health bar from hell.

I'm not in a huge rush to get to 30, it sounds like a lot of people(via reddit) are already burned out; rushing to max level and grinding drops 12 hours a day since release, etc.

There's no point in getting to 30 anyway. It's not as if anything new opens up at 30 except for some more difficulty levels, which just means everything becomes even MORE of a fucking bullet sponge.

I'm sorry you purchased this, but hopefully you'll at least get SOME enjoyment out of it.

RIP Bioware.

Mar 3, 2019, 04:16
Re: Anthem Loot Changes Mar 3, 2019, 04:16
Mar 3, 2019, 04:16

The Missions are OK? You kidding, right?

This game cannot and will not be saved, mark my words. They'd have to remove that fucking quest-hub city and make it part of the open world, where you can just fly over the walls or whatever and land into the hub, press shift-X to get out of your suit in real-time if you chose to do so which also turns the POV into 1st Person. You could do the same thing in the open world if you dare, if you want to role-play and enjoy the vistas.

Ok so that's 1.

Then there's the loot, yes. And not just weapons and other shit you cannot see, but also armor pieces should drop that immediately gives your armor another look. Traditional RPG style, so torso/legs/arms/shoulders/helmet. Gear should be switchable on the get-go, just press I to open your inventory and switch gear in traditional RPG style -- just drag the shit from your inventory to your character or double-click on the gear for immediate replacement etc.

That's 2.

Then there's the quests. They shouldn't all be in the hub. You should be able to find NPC's on the edge of waterfalls telling you their fucking kitten fell down and task you to find it. There should be NPCs at caves, giving you quests. WoW style you should be able to choose your reward after these quests to give you some sense of agency. Alt+click on the rewards to see the cosmetics.

So that's 3.

Fix the above and this game can be saved.

But that's not going to happen.

PS: and for the love of god, enable text chat!?

Mar 2, 2019, 13:35
Re: Anthem Loot Changes Mar 2, 2019, 13:35
Mar 2, 2019, 13:35

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 28, 2019, 22:18:
I'm thinking the game that got it most right is the Shadow Warrior series. Tons of loot, mobs, with a story. The loot and mobs are possibly the closest to an ARPG but in First Person.

*DISCLAIMER* I gave in and bought Anthem a few days ago, I had to know first hand.

You're not totally wrong, Shadow Warrior 2 had reasonably interesting loot, decent skill systems, okay combat. Unfortunately there were only relatively small and few maps, it got very repetitive; I had to somewhat force myself to finish the game.

I'd like to see a game somewhere between Borderlands 1 and Diablo 3 in terms of loot, with Anthem's maps and flying/movement, with a decent skill system cribbed from any decent RPG of your choice, really. It seems like developers simply aren't playing other games that are somewhat in the same genre, they (not just Bioware here) are repeatedly clueless on release about what to do with loot at some basic levels. I'd say Warframe's movement, but movement abilities that frantic just disable AI to a certain extent, and definitely make slower/ground based enemies a joke.

Anthem can be 'saved' with a loot revamp; this first patch seems like a step in the right direction, I'd like to see more drops with more variety in function. Freeplay (so far, I'm only level 11) seems like it has the most potential; fly around and just come upon encounters and 'events' and just jump in, but there needs to be some better communication options(Apex Legends ping system obviously) for talking to random strangers, some of whom will not even speak English.

The missions are okay, hopefully they increase in complexity some as I level up, loot so far is white and green and mostly boring. Combat is enjoyable, flight + dodging + powers = better in my opinion than Destiny or Borderlands or The Division, loading times off SSD and zone transitions are much improved from the demos. I just opened up the first Stronghold, so I'll try those out soon, hopefully with some of the coop crew, who is wavering a bit on getting this.

I found a quest bug(for the dialogue based side quests) that I wonder if most of the game's audience has skipped, don't see it mentioned on Reddit or anything. It feels like a LOT of money was spent on the side flavor content, dialogue interactions for small faction boosts, lore, radio plays, random NPCs, etc. I wonder how much of the budget that was, considering most players seem to be skipping that stuff entirely, or just playing through it once.

The Storm javelin is cool enough that regardless of how Anthem turns out, I expect other games(Borderlands 3?) to learn from that insane spamming AoE Space Robot Wizard. For that matter, all the classes seem to perform pretty distinctly compared to Destiny or Borderlands or any other comparable coop pve game. Warframe obviously has even better movement but a grind 10 times more insane at least than the Anthem grind. I'll be getting the Interceptor at 12, but I've already seen a ton of excellent class videos; it looks awesome. Same for Colossus, although the Shield smashing seems to dominate currently.

The crafting and temporary buffing system(per mission) seems a bit boring, but then I never really enjoy crafting in any game, so I'm not the target audience anyway.

Visual sync for, Fireballs from the stone guys, for example, seems to be a little off sometimes. I dodge visually but still get hit. Server load issue?

No major bugs so far, as far as I can tell. My personal biggest gripe so far is that Freeplay isn't setup for more players, 16, 24, or something, just to populate the world a bit more, although I think that many players in one corner of the map spamming powers would melt most peoples' video cards, so maybe that was a wise decision by Bioware. Next biggest issue, looting and NOT BEING ABLE TO SEE WHAT YOU GOT/EQUIP IT right then and there. I suppose it keeps people more on task in public missions, but it'd be nice to enable that for playing solo or with a known crew.

No trading...it'll be annoying for long term coop people, but they'll need a text channel first so people can start spamming it with trade requests.

I'm not in a huge rush to get to 30, it sounds like a lot of people(via reddit) are already burned out; rushing to max level and grinding drops 12 hours a day since release, etc.

Mar 1, 2019, 17:38
Re: Anthem Loot Changes Mar 1, 2019, 17:38
Mar 1, 2019, 17:38

When loot is a primary gameplay element (Looter Shooter), it might help if your loot system actually works come release. Doh!

Mar 1, 2019, 05:32
Kxmode

Re: Anthem Loot Changes Mar 1, 2019, 05:32
Mar 1, 2019, 05:32
 Kxmode

VaranDragon wrote on Mar 1, 2019, 03:57:
Kxmode wrote on Feb 28, 2019, 17:46:
Does anyone remember when BioWare made RPGs?

Does anyone remember when Bioware made GOOD RPGs?

I swear I knew someone was going to do that.

At this point, I'd take any BioWare RPG good or bad over Anthem any day of the week.

This comment was edited on Mar 1, 2019, 16:15.
"...and in stonks, Fizzy Squeezy Stocklebocks leaped over Droopy Whoopy Bondfluffs, hitting 300-gigglebits to their 150-snorebucks. Meanwhile, in Whimsyland's market, the pancakes reached parity with pogo sticks."

Mar 1, 2019, 03:57
Re: Anthem Loot Changes Mar 1, 2019, 03:57
Mar 1, 2019, 03:57

Kxmode wrote on Feb 28, 2019, 17:46:

Does anyone remember when Bioware made GOOD RPGs?

Feb 28, 2019, 22:18
Re: Anthem Loot Changes Feb 28, 2019, 22:18
Feb 28, 2019, 22:18

I'm thinking the game that got it most right is the Shadow Warrior series. Tons of loot, mobs, with a story. The loot and mobs are possibly the closest to an ARPG but in First Person.

Feb 28, 2019, 19:27
Re: Anthem Loot Changes Feb 28, 2019, 19:27
Feb 28, 2019, 19:27

Creston wrote on Feb 28, 2019, 18:08:
Flatline wrote on Feb 28, 2019, 14:10:
Borderlands 2 basically has the best shooter loot system. Period.

Ooooh... Yeah... I'm gonna have to... sort of, disagree with you on that.

The drop rate was good

No, the drop rate in Borderlands 2 was fucking GARBAGE. NOTHING dropped in Borderlands 2. You could farm that dragon at the end fifty times in a row and not have it drop a single fucking useful thing.

the drops were interesting

Well, they COULD be, if they ever dropped. But they never did. And Borderlands 2 had the most awesome legendary weapons. Just truly laugh out loud weaponry, totally awesome build-changing weaponry, monstrously OP weaponry. It was fantastic.

None of it ever fucking dropped. The drop rate was so MMO-like that they put that stupid chest in town so that people could at least get level-appropriate weapons SOME way, and not be fucking stuck with shit weapons where it took you 40 seconds to kill a single mook.

It was so bad that they eventually changed it, after three years of people bitching about it.

the escalation of weaponry as you leveled up was tasty

Are we talking about the same Borderlands 2 here? BL2 had the exact same problem as Anthem. It was the same weapon dropping over and over, just with a few extra % damage on it. Are you not confusing it with the original Borderlands? The first BL was awesome, because it had the x1 to x4 modifier for elemental damage, which made some guns just crazy fun. When I played that the first time, it dropped a X3 Acid SMG for me at like level 8 (when Acid was the God-element), and I proceeded to roflcopter through the next 15 hours just watching everything melt into puddles. And there truly WERE billions of different guns in BL1, as opposed to BL2, where it was like 12 guns just with tiny variations in stats.

and the rare guns were interesting, the relic guns were all fascinating.

That I totally agree with. They had AWESOME guns. They just never dropped (I mean, WHY? Why make all these amazing guns IF THEY NEVER DROP.) Fortunately some enterprising genius found a way to modify the drop rates with cheat engine, and with that running, the game was fantastic.

But vanilla BL2 had the same fucking "Let's just drop the same eight guns over and over for the next 30 levels" bullshit as Anthem does (albeit less terrible, since at least it didn't have dead modifiers, which is just about ALL you get out of Anthem.)

If Destiny 2 had the kind of loot system that BL2 has, it'd probably be my favorite FPS ever. I don't know why loot & shoot devs don't realize this.

Agreed. People hated (justifiably) Diablo 3's loot, until loot 2.0, which literally SHOWERS you with loot.

GIVE YOUR PLAYERS FUN LOOT IN A FUCKING LOOT SHOOTER, YOU IMBECILES.

Yeah I'm with you on that. The Borderlands loot drops were pretty awful, samey and the drop rates were even worse. I don't know why people are looking back at it so fondly.

IMO, even with all of it's gameplay faults, Diablo 3's 2.0 loot system was the best loot system by far. It was constantly rewarding you with useful loot and Set gear as well as Legendaries that could completely change the playstyle of your class. And even better, you could tweak and reroll certain stats and affixes so that a great item with the wrong stat could be tweaked to be perfect for you.

Even The Division 1 eventually copied the system later on with Exotic weapons and Set gear. Even down to how you can repick and reroll one (or two) stats on them to tailor fit your build like D3 does. The main problem with it though is that it shows that all of this was added later on since you don't get Exotics or Set gear until you hit the level cap of 30 which is late in the game. Fortunately Division 2 seems to have learnt from this and has set and exotic stuff right from the beginning like Diablo 3 does.

Feb 28, 2019, 18:53
Re: Anthem Loot Changes Feb 28, 2019, 18:53
Feb 28, 2019, 18:53

Avus wrote on Feb 28, 2019, 12:06:
a decade old Borderland had better weapon/loot generator than this POS. This POS is a $60 free2play that still in early access...

Borderlands 2 basically has the best shooter loot system. Period. The drop rate was good, the drops were interesting, the escalation of weaponry as you leveled up was tasty, and the rare guns were interesting, the relic guns were all fascinating.

If Destiny 2 had the kind of loot system that BL2 has, it'd probably be my favorite FPS ever. I don't know why loot & shoot devs don't realize this.
Angry Joe is in full agreement w/your take on Borderlands 2 in this flat out Anthem rant https://youtu.be/3USYN8kHkG0

"I expect death to be nothingness and by removing from me all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism." Isaac Asimov

Feb 28, 2019, 18:08
Re: Anthem Loot Changes Feb 28, 2019, 18:08
Feb 28, 2019, 18:08

Borderlands 2 basically has the best shooter loot system. Period.

Ooooh... Yeah... I'm gonna have to... sort of, disagree with you on that.

The drop rate was good

No, the drop rate in Borderlands 2 was fucking GARBAGE. NOTHING dropped in Borderlands 2. You could farm that dragon at the end fifty times in a row and not have it drop a single fucking useful thing.

the drops were interesting

Well, they COULD be, if they ever dropped. But they never did. And Borderlands 2 had the most awesome legendary weapons. Just truly laugh out loud weaponry, totally awesome build-changing weaponry, monstrously OP weaponry. It was fantastic.

None of it ever fucking dropped. The drop rate was so MMO-like that they put that stupid chest in town so that people could at least get level-appropriate weapons SOME way, and not be fucking stuck with shit weapons where it took you 40 seconds to kill a single mook.

It was so bad that they eventually changed it, after three years of people bitching about it.

the escalation of weaponry as you leveled up was tasty

Are we talking about the same Borderlands 2 here? BL2 had the exact same problem as Anthem. It was the same weapon dropping over and over, just with a few extra % damage on it. Are you not confusing it with the original Borderlands? The first BL was awesome, because it had the x1 to x4 modifier for elemental damage, which made some guns just crazy fun. When I played that the first time, it dropped a X3 Acid SMG for me at like level 8 (when Acid was the God-element), and I proceeded to roflcopter through the next 15 hours just watching everything melt into puddles. And there truly WERE billions of different guns in BL1, as opposed to BL2, where it was like 12 guns just with tiny variations in stats.

and the rare guns were interesting, the relic guns were all fascinating.

That I totally agree with. They had AWESOME guns. They just never dropped (I mean, WHY? Why make all these amazing guns IF THEY NEVER DROP.) Fortunately some enterprising genius found a way to modify the drop rates with cheat engine, and with that running, the game was fantastic.

But vanilla BL2 had the same fucking "Let's just drop the same eight guns over and over for the next 30 levels" bullshit as Anthem does (albeit less terrible, since at least it didn't have dead modifiers, which is just about ALL you get out of Anthem.)

Agreed. People hated (justifiably) Diablo 3's loot, until loot 2.0, which literally SHOWERS you with loot.

GIVE YOUR PLAYERS FUN LOOT IN A FUCKING LOOT SHOOTER, YOU IMBECILES.

Feb 28, 2019, 18:02
Osc8r

Re: Anthem Loot Changes Feb 28, 2019, 18:02
Feb 28, 2019, 18:02
 Osc8r

a decade old Borderland had better weapon/loot generator than this POS. This POS is a $60 free2play that still in early access...

What's new?

Asheron's Call from 99 had a better loot system than any MMO since.

But yeah, playing Anthem i'm constantly thinking... why is the loot system so terrible, why are all the missions the damn same, and why didn't they add RPG elements / skill trees?

Such a waste of potential.

Feb 28, 2019, 17:46
Kxmode

Re: Anthem Loot Changes Feb 28, 2019, 17:46
Feb 28, 2019, 17:46
 Kxmode

"...and in stonks, Fizzy Squeezy Stocklebocks leaped over Droopy Whoopy Bondfluffs, hitting 300-gigglebits to their 150-snorebucks. Meanwhile, in Whimsyland's market, the pancakes reached parity with pogo sticks."

Feb 28, 2019, 16:50
Re: Anthem Loot Changes Feb 28, 2019, 16:50
Feb 28, 2019, 16:50

Loot games with no loot. The basic design of these "games", is flawed.

Feb 28, 2019, 16:06
Re: Anthem Loot Changes Feb 28, 2019, 16:06
Feb 28, 2019, 16:06

This game seems more salvageable than something like F76 at least.

Also Bioware doesn't have all of the same employees after decade or more from the 'best' Bioware titles. And I heard in Anthem's case, they actually chose to use FrostByte rather than being forced to use it for this game. FrostByte is mostly built for Battlefield games, and I think Bioware should consider not using it for their future titles. That's my take, but I'm also not a developer.

Feb 28, 2019, 14:10
Re: Anthem Loot Changes Feb 28, 2019, 14:10
Feb 28, 2019, 14:10

Borderlands 2 basically has the best shooter loot system. Period. The drop rate was good, the drops were interesting, the escalation of weaponry as you leveled up was tasty, and the rare guns were interesting, the relic guns were all fascinating.

Feb 28, 2019, 13:14
Re: Anthem Loot Changes Feb 28, 2019, 13:14
Feb 28, 2019, 13:14

I finally finished the last mission last night. It may literally have been the most underwhelming, boring, anti-climactic piece of shit mission ever designed for a game, ever. I feel Bioware did that mission wrong by not having the sound of a giant wet fart playing over the top of it non-stop.

And this is from the guys that made the Mass Effect 2 Suicide mission!!

What a fucking turd this game is. Here's Bioware's A-Team, worse than the B-Team that made Andromeda.

Just Another Shitty EA Studio, now.

Feb 28, 2019, 13:00
Re: Anthem Loot Changes Feb 28, 2019, 13:00
Feb 28, 2019, 13:00

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 28, 2019, 12:15:
Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Feb 28, 2019, 12:12:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 28, 2019, 10:38:
I like the term "minimum viable product" for Anthem... defines the state of this "service" pretty well. And I am baffled people support that a publisher like EA cuts a game like Anthem up into pieces only to release it later as "Content" for a "service" (which was supposed to be in the game from the start). Compare the pre-release videos where they went over customization with what is in the game right now. They straight cut existing content, not content that wasn't developed but EXISTING CONTENT THEY ALREADY SHOWCASED. That's a scam.

If you bought Anthem, you support EA's shitty scummy business practices. At least if you only "leased" it you get what you really paid for, a pre-release state of a game. The actual release will be called, Anthem 2 and it won't be made by Bioware.

In fact, if this game took 6 years to develop something must have gone HORRIBLE wrong during that time. It feels like EA went heavy handed into this mid-development to shift the direction into a Destiny clone. And they failed to even do that. And "hey" you gonna say now, it's not a Destiny clone. Fair enough, I say. But then I call it a Borderlands 2 clone. And then Anthem looks REALLY bad. BL2 at least had a fun story and fun loot. For a loot-shooter that's 2 ENTIRE POINTS that Anthem missed by a continental distance.

Ok so what "Content" was cut from Anthem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3USYN8kHkG0

Bring an hour and coffee - the content topic is raised in the first 20 minutes ,p
No need to wade into it for 20 minutes. Angry Joe tears it apart in the first 5.
How do you screw up the looter part of a looter shooter, folks might understand if it was from a new studio but this is from Bioware. sad
"I expect death to be nothingness and by removing from me all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism." Isaac Asimov

Feb 28, 2019, 12:34
Re: Anthem Loot Changes Feb 28, 2019, 12:34
Feb 28, 2019, 12:34

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 28, 2019, 12:15:
I like the term "minimum viable product" for Anthem... defines the state of this "service" pretty well. And I am baffled people support that a publisher like EA cuts a game like Anthem up into pieces only to release it later as "Content" for a "service" (which was supposed to be in the game from the start). Compare the pre-release videos where they went over customization with what is in the game right now. They straight cut existing content, not content that wasn't developed but EXISTING CONTENT THEY ALREADY SHOWCASED. That's a scam.

If you bought Anthem, you support EA's shitty scummy business practices. At least if you only "leased" it you get what you really paid for, a pre-release state of a game. The actual release will be called, Anthem 2 and it won't be made by Bioware.

In fact, if this game took 6 years to develop something must have gone HORRIBLE wrong during that time. It feels like EA went heavy handed into this mid-development to shift the direction into a Destiny clone. And they failed to even do that. And "hey" you gonna say now, it's not a Destiny clone. Fair enough, I say. But then I call it a Borderlands 2 clone. And then Anthem looks REALLY bad. BL2 at least had a fun story and fun loot. For a loot-shooter that's 2 ENTIRE POINTS that Anthem missed by a continental distance.

Bring an hour and coffee - the content topic is raised in the first 20 minutes ,p

So basically anything on the Anthem road map should have been there day 1.

Feb 28, 2019, 12:21
Re: Anthem Loot Changes Feb 28, 2019, 12:21
Feb 28, 2019, 12:21

You know a game is under-developed when the Cash-Shop doesn't function 100%. They are fortunate they have a very fun combat model, otherwise they would have nothing at this time. They are also lucky that the genre they are in here, affords slow slow starts. I'm 50/50 on EA sun-setting this game early.

Feb 28, 2019, 12:15
Re: Anthem Loot Changes Feb 28, 2019, 12:15
Feb 28, 2019, 12:15

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older