Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Funcom Inks DUNE Gaming Deal

Funcom announces they've entered into a deal with Legendary Entertainment and Herbert Properties to create games based on Frank Herbert's DUNE science fiction universe. They don't offer details on their first project with this license, but they say development will begin this year. Denis Villeneuve's new DUNE movie will apparently enter production this year as well, but there's no word on how or if they tie together:

Legendary Entertainment and Herbert Properties LLC have reached a licensing agreement with Funcom to develop video games based on the works of Frank Herbert’s DUNE, one of the world’s best-known science fiction universes.

The announcement comes as Legendary gears up for its already highly anticipated film adaptation of DUNE, directed by critically acclaimed filmmaker Denis Villeneuve, and featuring an all-star cast that now includes Timothée Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Josh Brolin, Dave Bautista, Stellan Skarsgård, Charlotte Rampling, Jason Momoa and Javier Bardem.

Development will begin in Funcom’s Oslo studio later this year.

“Funcom has a strong history of working with beloved sci-fi/fantasy intellectual properties including our bestsellers Age of Conan and Conan Exiles,” said Funcom CEO, Rui Casais. “So many of us at Funcom, myself included, are huge fans of Frank Herbert’s work and we are thrilled to have the opportunity to collaborate withLegendary to bring the iconic DUNE universe to life for gamers all over the globe.”

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 2, 2019, 15:02 jdreyer

Desalus wrote on Feb 26, 2019, 23:21:
Tom wrote on Feb 26, 2019, 22:57:
Sepharo wrote on Feb 26, 2019, 21:40:
Cutter wrote on Feb 26, 2019, 20:19:
Shai Hulud

For someone who has never seen Dune (1984) before... do you recommend a specific version? I hear there are a few different cuts out there.
Watch the original cinematic cut. Avoid anything that says it's an extended version.

The Blu-ray version is actually pretty nice quality. And the film has aged well IMO.

The Sci-Fi Channel mini series from the year 2000 is much better than the movie.
Hard to get over those goofy costumes though.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 2, 2019, 15:01 jdreyer

Tom wrote on Feb 26, 2019, 22:57:
Sepharo wrote on Feb 26, 2019, 21:40:
Cutter wrote on Feb 26, 2019, 20:19:
Shai Hulud

For someone who has never seen Dune (1984) before... do you recommend a specific version? I hear there are a few different cuts out there.
Watch the original cinematic cut. Avoid anything that says it's an extended version.

The Blu-ray version is actually pretty nice quality. And the film has aged well IMO.

Huh, I prefer the extended cut.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

40. Re: Funcom Inks DUNE Gaming Deal Feb 28, 2019, 07:05 TheVocalMinority

Kxmode wrote on Feb 27, 2019, 05:02:
El Pit wrote on Feb 27, 2019, 01:00:
DUNE: Spice Girls

That might be interesting... *hmmm*

Featuring the hit song "If you wanna be my lover (you gotta be my concubine)". Outtahere

"How easily we let ourselves be taken in by partisan labels" - Solzhenitsyn

39. Re: Funcom Inks DUNE Gaming Deal Feb 27, 2019, 14:01 Kxmode

MacLeod wrote on Feb 27, 2019, 09:54:
Timmeh wrote on Feb 27, 2019, 09:47:

Dude Funcom is awesome.. They have made some fantastic games. People forget they made the Dreamfall and longest jorney games.

For me though.. AO all the way.

I am really glad they got the Dune property.

Ragnar Tornquist made those games.. and he went and founded Red Thread Games now.

In addition, They have said they will be doing an MMO, which is something that I think Dune would handle well, but I don't honestly trust Funcom to make a AAA quality game. They don't seem to put any effort into animations and such and it looks like crap. Look at Secret World (also headed by Tornquist originally)... those animations were absolute trash, and it was always "they're placeholders"... well they never got changed. They even relaunched the game and didn't fix any of them to make it look better.

Yes, but Funcom could always subcontract the game to Red Thread Games and allow Tornquist and his team to create the game. I'm sure they would jump at the chance to create a Dune game.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

38. Re: Funcom Inks DUNE Gaming Deal Feb 27, 2019, 12:22 MacLeod

So... 6 year deal with 3 games to release in those 6 years, with the MMO being started to work on within the year.

I have an odd feeling that these are just going to be lets spit out whatever we can as quickly as we can.

37. Re: Funcom Inks DUNE Gaming Deal Feb 27, 2019, 12:00 Timmeh

MacLeod wrote on Feb 27, 2019, 09:54:

Dude Funcom is awesome.. They have made some fantastic games. People forget they made the Dreamfall and longest jorney games.

Ragnar Tornquist made those games.. and he went and founded Red Thread Games now.

In addition, They have said they will be doing an MMO, which is something that I think Dune would handle well, but I don't honestly trust Funcom to make a AAA quality game. They don't seem to put any effort into animations and such and it looks like crap. Look at Secret World (also headed by Tornquist originally)... those animations were absolute trash, and it was always "they're placeholders"... well they never got changed. They even relaunched the game and didn't fix any of them to make it look better.

aah...

36. Re: Funcom Inks DUNE Gaming Deal Feb 27, 2019, 09:54 MacLeod

35. Re: Funcom Inks DUNE Gaming Deal Feb 27, 2019, 09:49 MacLeod

The Pyro wrote on Feb 27, 2019, 09:27:

The 1984 Dune movie and the SciFi mini-series are both enjoyable but flawed.

Stylistically, I probably prefer Lynch's version (1984). But it also cuts out a lot of material from the book, and makes some odd changes (weirding modules?) which detract from the series's underlying theme of human evolution. These changes don't work well when considering the plots of later books, but of course Lynch's Dune didn't get a sequel. The plot isn't explained as well in this version, so non-readers may get lost.

SciFi's mini-series follows the book very closely, and it does a better job, overall, handling plot issues in the latter half of the book. Some of the costumes are ridiculous, though, and the acting ranges from pretty decent to cringe-worthy. The Children of Dune follow-up series has a great soundtrack; I'd almost say the series is worth watching just for the Inama Nushif montage

Overall I enjoyed both of them for different reasons.

EDIT: I do wonder how a more modern audience will react to Baron Harkonnen's sexuality. It's certainly not portrayed in a positive light. Maybe they'll cut that part out?

I thought SciFi one was actually done pretty well for the non-budget they had. The sets almost had a theater quality to them when they were in the desert. (My biggest annoyance was the title card for (i believe) the third part, where they misspelled Muad'Dib. lol)

Children of Dune was actually much better. (also the first time I actually saw James McAvoy in something)

Lynch's Dune was production-wise amazing (for the most part - don't get me started on the ornithopter design) - the stillsuits looked great (except for the fact they didn't wear headgear), and the sandworms looked amazing. When I was younger, I liked it as a movie, but as a Dune fan, was conflicted about the changes. As I've gotten older, I've rewatched it and can kind of see that he didn't change as much as it seems on the surface. The weirding modules is the biggest thing... but I almost see why they made an introduction like that. If they went with the Weirding Way from the book, you'd literally have these practically martial-arts scenes that, to a lot of people, would look out of place in a sci-fi movie at the time. Most of the undertones of the novel are still there with minimal changes other than that and *sigh* making it rain on Arrakis - I can't forgive that change.

34. Re: Funcom Inks DUNE Gaming Deal Feb 27, 2019, 09:47 Timmeh

Creston wrote on Feb 26, 2019, 22:55:
Ugh, why give it to Funcom?? I mean, sure, it's better than EA, but they're not going to make anything awesome with it.

33. Re: Funcom Inks DUNE Gaming Deal Feb 27, 2019, 09:27 The Pyro

The 1984 Dune movie and the SciFi mini-series are both enjoyable but flawed.

Stylistically, I probably prefer Lynch's version (1984). But it also cuts out a lot of material from the book, and makes some odd changes (weirding modules?) which detract from the series's underlying theme of human evolution. These changes don't work well when considering the plots of later books, but of course Lynch's Dune didn't get a sequel. The plot isn't explained as well in this version, so non-readers may get lost.

SciFi's mini-series follows the book very closely, and it does a better job, overall, handling plot issues in the latter half of the book. Some of the costumes are ridiculous, though, and the acting ranges from pretty decent to cringe-worthy. The Children of Dune follow-up series has a great soundtrack; I'd almost say the series is worth watching just for the Inama Nushif montage

Overall I enjoyed both of them for different reasons.

EDIT: I do wonder how a more modern audience will react to Baron Harkonnen's sexuality. It's certainly not portrayed in a positive light. Maybe they'll cut that part out?

32. Re: Funcom Inks DUNE Gaming Deal Feb 27, 2019, 08:52 Kxmode

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 27, 2019, 06:32:
Ant wrote on Feb 26, 2019, 21:37:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 26, 2019, 20:43:
Guaranteed this will be a movie tie-in and it will suck.

I just want another game like Emperor: Battle for Dune.
What about Dune 2 and 2000? Those were fun too.

Solid games, to be sure. I just liked Emperor the best out of all three of them.

Ever play the Cryo Interactive RPG? That was...an interesting take on it.

I did. Parts of that game inspired Dune RPG. Especially the unit assignment, movement, and base building. But Dune did it waaaay better.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

31. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 27, 2019, 08:45 VaranDragon

Funcom? Dune: Shlong Worm?  

30. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 27, 2019, 07:18 MoreLuckThanSkill

MacLeod wrote on Feb 26, 2019, 23:24:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 26, 2019, 23:17:
That said, I hope the new Villeneuve version ends up being awesome!

My fear is that the movie is going to be great, but won't make money and we'll get half of the first book made (since they're splitting it into two movies), and not get the other half because the first doesn't make money.

All the casting has been good, with the only exception being Jason Mamoa as Duncan Idaho... doesn't fit the part at all. I know for Dune it probably doesn't really matter, but as much as I like him, If by some luck this manages to do huge numbers and get sequels, I don't know if he has the acting chops to pull off the nuance and subtlety of Duncan/Hayt for the follow up novels, never mind having to carry the movies as the main character in the further novels.

Well, I can see where you're coming from, I never pictured Duncan Idaho as a Mamoa type physical specimen, but it can make sense. What other warrior/leader type would the God Emperor clone thousands of times, run breeding programs with, etc. As far as acting ability, yeah, the part will be challenging in the later novels/movie versions, but I don't feel it's THAT much of a stretch. The real difficulty to me will be trying to translate all the God Emperor internal monologues to something worthwhile on screen, or get the audience(who mostly will have NOT read the novels) to follow various versions of characters over a vast time frame and different planets, etc.

That is, if they actually try to do all of the novels as movies.

29. Re: Funcom Inks DUNE Gaming Deal Feb 27, 2019, 06:32 Burrito of Peace

Ant wrote on Feb 26, 2019, 21:37:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 26, 2019, 20:43:
Guaranteed this will be a movie tie-in and it will suck.

I just want another game like Emperor: Battle for Dune.
What about Dune 2 and 2000? Those were fun too.

Solid games, to be sure. I just liked Emperor the best out of all three of them.

Ever play the Cryo Interactive RPG? That was...an interesting take on it.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

28. Re: GOG.com Ending Fair Price Package Program Feb 27, 2019, 05:12 HoSpanky

Kxmode wrote on Feb 27, 2019, 04:56:
clint wrote on Feb 27, 2019, 04:23:
Bring me a dune universe rpg in the style of knights of old republic or Mass Effect.

With The Witcher 3 quality, no compromises, or unethical MTX*. Yes, please!

*Not explicitly against MTX when it is purely cosmetic and not P2W. Hence the word "unethical."

I first read this as “unethical motocross”.

27. Re: Funcom Inks DUNE Gaming Deal Feb 27, 2019, 05:02 Kxmode

El Pit wrote on Feb 27, 2019, 01:00:
DUNE: Spice Girls

That might be interesting... *hmmm*

26. Re: GOG.com Ending Fair Price Package Program Feb 27, 2019, 04:56 Kxmode

clint wrote on Feb 27, 2019, 04:23:
Bring me a dune universe rpg in the style of knights of old republic or Mass Effect.

With The Witcher 3 quality, no compromises, or unethical MTX*. Yes, please!

*Not explicitly against MTX when it is purely cosmetic and not P2W. Hence the word "unethical."

25. Re: Funcom Inks DUNE Gaming Deal Feb 27, 2019, 04:55 Kxmode

Luke wrote on Feb 27, 2019, 02:58:
Just give us a strategy game ....

Nothing more
Nothing less.

Thank youuuuuu

Real-time or turn-based? Inquiring minds want to know!

24. Re: Funcom Inks DUNE Gaming Deal Feb 27, 2019, 04:54 Kxmode

Jivaro wrote on Feb 26, 2019, 21:52:
The obvious possibilities...

Open World Survival Game, Dune:Exiles

MMO, Age of Dune

But there are other options...

Vacation and/or Dating Simulator, Dune: Spice Up Your Life

Visual Novel, Spice of Life: Nights on Dune

I don't think Funcom is that bad. At least their track record is nothing like EA and Activision. Have faith they'll make something good.

23. Re: Funcom Inks DUNE Gaming Deal Feb 27, 2019, 04:53 Kxmode

Timmeh wrote on Feb 26, 2019, 21:42:
OMG i hope they make a spiritual successor to Anarchy online except in the DUNE universe. It would be perfect and epic!

Edna Mode, "No MMOs!"

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo