Out of the Blue

I was walking the Gunnar-man and his besty Jedi the Jindo last night when Jedi started fussing with his back paw. Every step he took he'd spin around and mouth at it as if he had a pebble stuck in it or some sort of wound/injury. I tried to take a look at it, but he is super-sensitive about his feet being touched to start with, and he was having none of this: He started yelping and crying before I even touched him, and then snarled and snapped at me to let me know that examining it was off-limits. We were pretty close to his house, so I tried to get him to proceed so we could deal with it there, but by now he was screeching and crying with every step. This left me with little choice but to carry him. Luckily he weights all of about 35 pounds, and, as I say, we were close to home. Once we were there, his people papa held his head while I removed a very nasty thorn from his paw. That did the trick to end his torture, and last I saw, he was licking the paw and acting quite relieved. This all reminds me of the story of Androcles and the Lion, attributed to Aesop, and later a play by George Bernard Shaw where a brave hero is befriended by a lion after removing a thorn from his paw. I'm going to have to call BS on that one, as if a dog who loves me dearly wouldn't let me examine his wounded paw, I can pretty easily imagine the mauling that would result in trying to doctor a wild lion. Anyone who wants to try this to prove me wrong can tell me how it works out.

Thorny Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Theseus.
Stories: Starbucks' music is driving employees nuts. A writer says it's a workers' rights issue. Thanks Slashdot.
There's a Dead Humpback Whale in the Amazon Jungle and Nobody Knows Why. Thanks Digg.
Pentagon Report Slam Military’s Humvee Replacement. Thanks RedEye9.
Science: Evidence for man-made global warming hits 'gold standard': scientists.
Annual stool test may be as effective as colonoscopy, study finds.
Media: The Man Who Killed Don Quixote - Official Trailer.
Swim training in Russia. I feel like the biggest wimp right now.
Family.
Follow-up: FLAT EARTH "documentary Beyond the Curve fragment.". ROFL. Thanks Digg.
The Funnies: Adult Children: Cold Coffee.
View : : :
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue - Starbucks Music
Feb 27, 2019, 14:21
Re: Out of the Blue - Starbucks Music Feb 27, 2019, 14:21
Feb 27, 2019, 14:21

Jonjonz wrote on Feb 27, 2019, 06:49:
You think music being forced on you is bad, ha

Try having to wait for ages in a busy doctors office while a big screen pours the idiocracy of Fox News over you.
It's used to turn your brain into mush so the criminal prices don't cause you to have a stroke.
Faux Noise is also what's on the tele in our hospital waiting room.

They should probably try it out as an advanced form of triage in the ER to gauge which patients need to be treated first.
ER Nurse: Doc, we got one who's eyes have rolled back.
ER Doctor: Put em to the front of the line, that one's worth saving.
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Re: Out of the Blue - Starbucks Music
Feb 27, 2019, 06:49
Re: Out of the Blue - Starbucks Music Feb 27, 2019, 06:49
Feb 27, 2019, 06:49

You think music being forced on you is bad, ha

Try having to wait for ages in a busy doctors office while a big screen pours the idiocracy of Fox News over you.
"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

Re: Out of the Blue
Feb 26, 2019, 23:08
Re: Out of the Blue Feb 26, 2019, 23:08
Feb 26, 2019, 23:08

Dacote wrote on Feb 26, 2019, 21:27:
1badmf wrote on Feb 26, 2019, 20:19:
Creston wrote on Feb 26, 2019, 16:17:
Awww, poor doggie. And yeah, you have to hold them down to get them to let you help them, silly things.

It sort of reminds me of that video where a dolphin had gotten entangled in a fishing line, it was wrapped all around its fin, and the dolphin found two divers and was able to persuade the divers to cut the line off. That video always makes me smile.

Anyway, thanks for helping the doggie, Blue!

there's also video of a humpback whale being freed from a fishing net, and afterwards it followed the boat around for an hour and breached for them dozens of times.
this one?
https://youtu.be/tcXU7G6zhjU

Awww, that's awesome. Brought a huge smile to my face on an otherwise pretty shitty night. Thanks for sharing that!

Feb 26, 2019, 21:27
Re: Out of the Blue Feb 26, 2019, 21:27
Feb 26, 2019, 21:27

1badmf wrote on Feb 26, 2019, 20:19:
Awww, poor doggie. And yeah, you have to hold them down to get them to let you help them, silly things.

It sort of reminds me of that video where a dolphin had gotten entangled in a fishing line, it was wrapped all around its fin, and the dolphin found two divers and was able to persuade the divers to cut the line off. That video always makes me smile.

there's also video of a humpback whale being freed from a fishing net, and afterwards it followed the boat around for an hour and breached for them dozens of times.
this one?
https://youtu.be/tcXU7G6zhjU

Feb 26, 2019, 20:19
Re: Out of the Blue Feb 26, 2019, 20:19
Feb 26, 2019, 20:19

Feb 26, 2019, 16:17
Re: Out of the Blue Feb 26, 2019, 16:17
Feb 26, 2019, 16:17

Feb 26, 2019, 14:49
Re: Out of the Blue Feb 26, 2019, 14:49
Feb 26, 2019, 14:49

jdreyer wrote on Feb 26, 2019, 14:37:
What's your total hours in Factorio at this point?
Well, I really haven't played a ton recently. Just kind an hour or two here and there on my "big" map. I've sort of slacked off waiting for 0.17. And it is not easily determined since I play almost exclusively off-line. So, I'd have to load up each of my saves and see how much time I have in each. But the total is definitely north of 2,500 hours...
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Feb 26, 2019, 14:37
Re: Out of the Blue Feb 26, 2019, 14:37
Feb 26, 2019, 14:37

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 26, 2019, 14:22:
For anyone who might be interested, Wube released their latest major version of Factorio today -- version 0.17.0 here are the release notes.

Initially this was to be their 1.0 version, but they backed off that a couple of months ago. I'd imagine they'll get 1.0 out near the end of the year (that is total speculation on my part).

What's your total hours in Factorio at this point?
I'm a smoldering volcano of virility. At least, that's what I tell myself.

Feb 26, 2019, 14:22
Re: Out of the Blue Feb 26, 2019, 14:22
Feb 26, 2019, 14:22

For anyone who might be interested, Wube released their latest major version of Factorio today -- version 0.17.0 here are the release notes.

Initially this was to be their 1.0 version, but they backed off that a couple of months ago. I'd imagine they'll get 1.0 out near the end of the year (that is total speculation on my part).
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Feb 26, 2019, 13:03
Re: Out of the Blue Feb 26, 2019, 13:03
Feb 26, 2019, 13:03

Yeah music in stores/restos/public places is a real problem. I won't even go into American Eagle stores because the music is just way too loud and annoying. I don't understand how anyone could work in that environment. I just started working out again at the beginning of the month and I go early because it's quiet but they're always playing music in the gym and pool - and this is the rec center. I ask them to turn it down and they say they're not allowed - which seems like bullshit to me - so I'm going to be running this up the chain of command with our local politicians to put the kaybosh on it. Everyone has phones/mp3 players and headphones these days. If they need to hear music so badly everywhere they go than they can use them. The rest of us would like a little peace and quiet.

At least at the last resto I worked for 5 years our GM was super cool and would let us make our own playlists. Everyone was adult enough to understand what sort of music was and wasn't permitted in a casual fine dining spot so it kept the music varied and good. We also kept the volume low. It was there for background, not so people would have to shout to be heard.

And it's weird now that I think about it. As I was at a nice little cafe out of town a few weeks back and they didn't have any music or TVs in the place and it was really nice to just sit and eat/drink/read without any of that extraneous filler going on.
"Joey, do you ever hang around the gymnasium?" - Captain Clarence Oveur

Feb 26, 2019, 10:36
Re: Out of the Blue Feb 26, 2019, 10:36
Feb 26, 2019, 10:36

The whale hitched a ride on this https://www.bicycling.com/news/a26520551/citi-bike-barnacles/

When dog/cats/animals are in pain they can't tell what's causing it, you did a good job handling that situation
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Re: Annual stool test may be as effective as colonoscopy, study finds.
Feb 26, 2019, 10:30
Re: Annual stool test may be as effective as colonoscopy, study finds. Feb 26, 2019, 10:30
Feb 26, 2019, 10:30

Bad news for gastroenterologists - colonoscopies are their bread and butter. Better cancel plans for that third vacation home.
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older