Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Anthem Reviews

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: Anthem Reviews Feb 25, 2019, 23:42 Creston

Great job, Bioware/EA.

Way to spend six years and fuck over your best franchise for this.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: Anthem Reviews Feb 25, 2019, 07:44 Kain

I put it on while I was doing chores, 50 minutes is really long and he could stand to condense things but hes spot on in his criticisms. The worst part is that the trials are just grinds intended to pad things out and many of the items weren't even tracking correctly when we did them. The game is an insulting mess that would only be acceptable as F2P. Even flying around the world in freeplay gets boring because its the same biome everywhere.

This game just needs so much...everything.

40. Re: Anthem Reviews Feb 24, 2019, 18:42 Creston

Angry Joe did a fantastic review of Anthem. He is seriously becoming one of the best game reviewers out there.

Everything he says in that video is 100% true. In fact, quite a few of the things he gets super pissed over and just goes "WTF???", I had literally the exact same reaction. The four tombs you have to visit, and have to grind that cocksucking bullshit out for, once I got into the first tomb, I was at least going "Okay, we get to do a trial, let's hope it'll be cool. It's the melee trial, right, shit, how am I going to do that with my Storm?"

And then you go into the trial, and it's "Hit F to pay respect" on a coffin, and it's done. And like Joe I went "WHAT THE GODDAMN FUCK, BIOWARE??!"

I played a bit last night, and got another 'trial', this one with actual challenges in it. Guess what they were? Fight an Ash Titan, and stand in a green circle while endless enemies attack you. Even for the fucking TRIALS they couldn't be fucking BOTHERED to come up with SOMETHING new.

What the FUCK have you been doing for six years, Bioware?

39. Re: Anthem Reviews Feb 23, 2019, 12:59 MoreLuckThanSkill

Darks wrote on Feb 22, 2019, 21:23:
wtf_man wrote on Feb 22, 2019, 18:33:
There is no Bioware. Only a shell that EA has thoroughly scooped out and thrown away.

DragonAge Origins is pretty much the last remnant of that company.

R.I.P Origin
R.I.P BullFrog
R.I.P Maxis
R.I.P Westwood
R.I.P Mythic
R.I.P Pandemic
R.I.P Phenomic
R.I.P Bioware (Although not shut down yet)

You forgot one more. Visceral.

Oh, Visceral. How I would have loved a Dead Space 4, that was a continuation of Dead Space 2. Let us never speak of Dead Space 3.

38. Re: Anthem Reviews Feb 22, 2019, 21:23 Darks

There is no Bioware. Only a shell that EA has thoroughly scooped out and thrown away.

R.I.P Origin
R.I.P BullFrog
R.I.P Maxis
R.I.P Westwood
R.I.P Mythic
R.I.P Pandemic
R.I.P Phenomic

You forgot one more. Visceral.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

37. Re: Anthem Reviews Feb 22, 2019, 20:56 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 22, 2019, 19:07:
https://hardforum.com/attachments/oombr-jpg.142695/

That makes me a sad panda.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

36. Re: Anthem Reviews Feb 22, 2019, 19:07 RedEye9

R.I.P Origin
R.I.P BullFrog
R.I.P Maxis
R.I.P Westwood
R.I.P Mythic
R.I.P Pandemic
R.I.P Phenomic
https://hardforum.com/attachments/oombr-jpg.142695/

I want to shut the noise out and reconnect to my inner thoughts on the road to feeling more at one with myself. Fleabag

35. Re: Anthem Reviews Feb 22, 2019, 18:33 wtf_man

R.I.P Origin
R.I.P BullFrog
R.I.P Maxis
R.I.P Westwood
R.I.P Mythic
R.I.P Pandemic
R.I.P Phenomic

"Did you even read cutters post or are you just suffering from rectal cranial inversion." - RedEye9

34. Re: Anthem Reviews Feb 22, 2019, 17:54 Flatline

Creston wrote on Feb 22, 2019, 12:46:
Oh, I'd forgotten about this.

"It's contiguous," says Anthem lead producer Mike Gamble. "Once you're in the open world, you just run around the open world. There's no loads. Everything's contiguous. You have access to the whole thing."

There are fucking loading screens to enter a fucking ROOM that's behind a fucking DOOR, Mike Gamble, you lying quack.

"It's a PC Game made by PC Gamers for PC Gamers!"

Rolleyes

*Technically* they're right. Once you're in the open map and you *stay* in the open map you don't hit a load screen.

Go literally anywhere other than the main open map and you start getting load screens on your load screens so you can wait while you wait.

I remember in the original Starsiege Tribes someone programmed Breakout as a game you could play in the HUD while waiting for people to GTFO of the inventory station.

Anthem needs like... pong on it's loading screens. Or maybe a text adventure?

33. Re: Anthem Reviews Feb 22, 2019, 16:59 Kxmode

christheshitter wrote on Feb 22, 2019, 14:13:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 22, 2019, 13:46:
Cutter wrote on Feb 22, 2019, 10:58:
In other words if you like hamster wheel looter shooters you'll like it. If you don't you won't.

Typically yes in this case, this is different.

For example, a lot of the issues/reviews one will read now are more starter gameplay reviews. This game has a whole different thing going on later on that I don't think I've ever seen happen in an online game that has been released by a major publisher.

My #1 dislike for Destiny is your numbers are so tightly controlled that it bores me beyond playing the content. There will never be a fun drop where you feel a lot different after.

Anthem omg, I giggle inside, they right now have the game where it has no bastion of control here. At the same end game level you can have someone doing 50x more damage than another based on a good drop. Or another will 50x more health than another. You can have people yelling at others because they suck and well no one knows what drops the other has or not and their gameplay reflects that and it couldn't be a wider spread.

The difficulty levels go up so sharply to and if you are a have not, you can be one shotted or can't do damage. They are finding out the powers aren't scaling well and then it becomes a game of gun drop luck. People state only a Colossus right now can really power through because of their health and defense. They say an Interceptor can't play their melee role because they do exactly zero damage in that role , kick, punch, twirl, punch = ZERO and they have to revert to gun play and hope they have a good gun.

Think of any online game and if there was a player doing 50 damage per hit and another doing 2500 per while the poor guy has 1000 HP and the other 10000 HP... this can happen here, not those exact numbers but that kind of spread, unprecedented!

This stuff probably won't be found in reviews but are the comments for players out there finding out. Then there are still a shit ton of inscriptions not working or sometimes do and sometimes don't, some on certain javelins, others javelines not.

Blablabla! You are the epitome of gamers who just stare blindly on stats and not seeing the game for what it really is. A shit console game with microtransactions.

He was also the most critical of my comments calling Anthem a full priced, microtransaction riddled, early access Games-as-a-Service experiment.

I'm going to add one more attribute to Anthem: failure. BioWare's future rests on Anthem being a success at launch. EA needs to prove to their investors that GAAS works. Long-term EA is likely to not invest in multi-year-longer single-player RPGs that BioWare was known for developing. Anthem is BioWare's Hail Mary to stay alive.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

32. Re: Anthem Reviews Feb 22, 2019, 16:50 Kxmode

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 22, 2019, 13:35:
That's a shame. *sips drink*

I know right? *eats popcorn*

31. Re: Anthem Reviews Feb 22, 2019, 16:48 Kxmode

Creston wrote on Feb 22, 2019, 12:46:
Oh, I'd forgotten about this.

"It's contiguous," says Anthem lead producer Mike Gamble. "Once you're in the open world, you just run around the open world. There's no loads. Everything's contiguous. You have access to the whole thing."

There are fucking loading screens to enter a fucking ROOM that's behind a fucking DOOR, Mike Gamble, you lying quack.

"It's a PC Game made by PC Gamers for PC Gamers!"

Rolleyes

BioWare's "See that mountain. You can climb it."

30. Re: Anthem Reviews Feb 22, 2019, 16:45 HorrorScope

I like to call the folks in Tarsis, "Those goofy bastards" homage to There's Something About Mary. They do come off as too upbeat to start for sure and the crawl speed at the Fort does no favors and you have to do the big go talk to them loop often. But those goofy bastards start to grow on yah as you start to know their personalities. The VA and Animation are solid, writing give it some time, it comes around to at least a little caring. The overall arching story is fine, mysterious anthem relic material, destroys shit. It at least grows.  

29. Re: Anthem Reviews Feb 22, 2019, 16:40 Luke

Outwars anno 2019  

28. Re: Anthem Reviews Feb 22, 2019, 16:30 Creston

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 22, 2019, 13:43:
I actually think the only thing that MEA had going in its favor was the combat and the gameplay. Combat was the very least of its problems to me.

Yeah, I enjoyed it too, but Anthem's combat is better. (With the exosuits at least.) If they put the exosuits into ME:A along with the powers of ME, it would have been pretty awesome.

Where MEA raced off the cliff full throttle was story and characters, especially when compared to the awesome ME2.

There were so many embarrassing moments and lines in the first few hours already that it tainted the game beyond any hope of salvation. It was one facepalm after another, a cringefest of epic proportions. What a fucking muppet show...

It had bad stuff in it, sure, but by and large it wasn't too horrible, it's just that it was all delivered by voice actors who were just mailing it in for their paycheck, and then it had no animation to go along with it.

So if that had the performance we see in Anthem, it would have been substantially better. Not fantastic, but still a damn sight better than it would have been.

For "best Mass Effect yet" it would have required a complete rewrite and a replacement of nearly every single character including the dopey main character Ryder.

Yeah, fair enough, it likely wouldn't have done that, but it would have been an excellent game, and worthy of the ME name. Then EA doesn't immediately pull the plug, and who knows, we might have been a year out from seeing ME:A 2.

Cmdr Shepard was so many leagues above that hipster kiddo it ain't even funny...

It always baffles me why developers create a fantastic character, and then stop using him/her.

27. Re: Anthem Reviews Feb 22, 2019, 15:59 Darks

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 22, 2019, 15:42:
Well, it looks like Anthem and probably The Division 2 are moved to the deep sale list for me, unless something changes drastically in the near future.

Interesting list here of VG247's issues/suggested fixes for Anthem. Add in more flying enemies while you're at it.

Yea, that s a good list of things that Id like to see changed or happen.

Just fyi, the Interceptor has an ability to break those stun locks. I haven't had to use it that much. But it is there for groups when stuff like this does happen.

26. Re: Anthem Reviews Feb 22, 2019, 15:42 MoreLuckThanSkill

Well, it looks like Anthem and probably The Division 2 are moved to the deep sale list for me, unless something changes drastically in the near future.

Interesting list here of VG247's issues/suggested fixes for Anthem. Add in more flying enemies while you're at it.

25. Re: Anthem Reviews Feb 22, 2019, 15:33 eRe4s3r

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 22, 2019, 13:43:
Creston wrote on Feb 22, 2019, 13:12:
Andromeda is a substantially better game than Anthem is. Which is just maddening. If they had put THIS kind of effort for performance capture into Andromeda, and had put this combat into Andromeda, Andromeda would likely have been the best Mass Effect yet. :\

I actually think the only thing that MEA had going in its favor was the combat and the gameplay. Combat was the very least of its problems to me.

Where MEA raced off the cliff full throttle was story and characters, especially when compared to the awesome ME2.

There were so many embarrassing moments and lines in the first few hours already that it tainted the game beyond any hope of salvation. It was one facepalm after another, a cringefest of epic proportions. What a fucking muppet show...

The combat and the gameplay was MEA's saving grace that elevated it from a 2/10 to a 6/10 game.
For "best Mass Effect yet" it would have required a complete rewrite and a replacement of nearly every single character including the dopey main character Ryder.
Cmdr Shepard was so many leagues above that hipster kiddo it ain't even funny...

The difference is that the people who wrote and shaped Mass Effect 1 to 3 have long since quit Bioware. And without skilled writers you can make the best visuals ever, you will always end up with Destiny, Andromeda or Anthem. Lackluster pun based dialog that feels like someone let a chatbot AI write it and zero character development, because the writers don't even know how to do that with their tonal deafness. And yes, I did watch 6 hours of it, the Dialog in Tharis is equally bad to Andromeda. The difference is, at least in Andromeda the world felt less borked and creepily broken. And some of the side-missions were fun.

Any good character and story is based on 1 thing and only 1 thing. How the tone of your dialog is. If you let everyone be snarky and punny because your market analysis tells you kids like that then nothing in the story will be taken serious by anyone. Great if you write a comedy... not so great if your games name is MASS EFFECT Andromeda or indeed Anthem and ye want to tell some sort of half-assed serious story.

Isn't helped by the fact that the ENTIRE plot of Andromeda is absolutely braindead beyond reckoning. The Arks for one, the absolute stupid bad guy and his even crazier ambitions, the even more stupid companions including "is this supposed to be funny or can we put you in front of a military trial by now?". And Ryder to top it off, a mentally disabled shroom.

Bioware, how the great have fallen.

24. Re: Anthem Reviews Feb 22, 2019, 15:25 Rhett

Say what you will, it's a fun game to feel powerful in. You feel like a human that put on a suit of Iron Man armor that can do a lot of cool, powerful things.

I'm sure they'll fix or improve it a lot over the next year - but if not, then I'm only out $15 while I wait for The Division 2. I've had tons of fun though, despite shitting on the game up til now. It's very far from perfect, but it's got a lot of potential.

23. Re: Anthem Reviews Feb 22, 2019, 14:24 Darks

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 22, 2019, 13:46:
Cutter wrote on Feb 22, 2019, 10:58:
In other words if you like hamster wheel looter shooters you'll like it. If you don't you won't.

The difficulty levels go up so sharply to and if you are a have not, you can be one shotted or can't do damage. They are finding out the powers aren't scaling well and then it becomes a game of gun drop luck. People state only a Colossus right now can really power through because of their health and defense. They say an Interceptor can't play their melee role because they do exactly zero damage in that role , kick, punch, twirl, punch = ZERO and they have to revert to gun play and hope they have a good gun.

Think of any online game and if there was a player doing 50 damage per hit and another doing 2500 per while the poor guy has 1000 HP and the other 10000 HP... this can happen here, not those exact numbers but that kind of spread, unprecedented!

I've been playing the Interceptor, we ran the Stronghold the other night, granted my gear was not as good as it should have been. But we ran it on Hard and I had this exact issue where I was not able to do much melee damage to the Elites. Ended up a gun fight the whole way though.

Luckily, we had a high level colossus with us, he was able to take down the final boss. I will say this, I've gained several more levels and getting Epic gear drops, it has made a big difference with my dps and being able to fight melee and kills stuff much easier

I think this is going to be the case with many, people are going into the Strongholds under geared and under leveled playing it on a harder levels then they should be.

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo