PUBG Framerate Affects Rate-of-Fire

A post on Steam from PUBG Corp explains the discovery that framerate on players' computers is impacting rate of fire in PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS. They say a fix is now being vetted on their test server, and outline the implications on gameplay:
Solution
We implemented a solution in the recent test server update to help alleviate the above issues and hopefully provide better game play environment. Without going into too much technical detail, it aims to mitigate the problem related to the discrepancy between expected time of fire and the execution of the timer. This happens by modifying the timer delay by a portion of the frame time. We expect this will minimize discrepancies between the timer and the rate of fire.

This doesn’t mean there won’t be any errors, but on average they should be closer to 0 and those that are accumulated into a buffer will decay on each shot in an effort to keep the expected rate of fire consistent.

Because rate of fire is now steady and independent of frame rate, some players may notice a more difficult to control recoil, especially in high rate of fire weapons on low FPS settings. Those weapons will still have to be capped by the game’s 1 bullet per frame rule, so in conditions of sub 20 FPS, the actual rate of fire for a weapon such as Micro UZI will still be slower.

Future Plans
We hope the changes in the recent test server patch will at least improve the discrepancy between those with ultra high FPS and players with more of an average set up. This solution will be applied to the test server first, but will not be implemented in the live server just yet. We will review the data and your feedback while on the test server and determine an appropriate time to bring it to live based on those findings.
View : : :
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: PUBG Framerate Affects Rate-of-Fire
Feb 23, 2019, 07:17
Re: PUBG Framerate Affects Rate-of-Fire Feb 23, 2019, 07:17
Feb 23, 2019, 07:17

phinn wrote on Feb 22, 2019, 10:28:
Yea ROE is pretty great too but I keep going back to PUBG to play with friends. I'm not sure why people keep saying these games don't run well, sure when it was early access 2 years ago it ran poorly but PUBG is 100+fps all the time for me now, often pegged at 144fps.
Yeah, but it stutters a lot and has lots of other technical problems.
It is far from running great. 150 FPS is still ugly if it stutters all the time. Frame times are far more important than frame rates.
I have given up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

Re: Morning Tech Bits
Feb 22, 2019, 16:30
Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 22, 2019, 16:30
Feb 22, 2019, 16:30

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Feb 22, 2019, 15:10:
Sepharo wrote on Feb 22, 2019, 04:14:
Numinar wrote on Feb 22, 2019, 02:10:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Feb 21, 2019, 22:10:
There is a reason people turn down graphics settings to shit settings immediately when playing competitively in these types of games. Not just FPS & input lag, but stability and the fact that with less stuff going on in the game, it is less prone to errors like this. With the shader bukkake thats taking place in most games nowadays best to turn that shit off.

This is the main reason why I play competitive shooters on console (yes yes burn the witch/peasant and all that), other than way more cheaters on PC, the fact that you are disadvantaged because you don't choose to make the game look like it's from 2003 is a major turn off.

It is an advantage even for monster rigs that get 100+fps on ultra, as less clutter and effects make enemies easier to spot. I know from flight sims that depending on how the game is made, lower resolution/bigger pixels can help you pick out targets and movement against background/sky as well.

Although Xbox is not a choice for PUBG. It's even more garbage there than on PC if you can imagine it. The inventory management alone is enough to take all the fun out. ApeLegs on the other hand, being made for consoles and PC at the same time by experienced developers with decades of best selling multi-platform shooters under their belt, absolutely slaps on every platform.

Tough luck for people like me that want the try-hard realishness inspired hunger games nonsense of PUBG though. Someone needs to come and eat their lunch soon, they have had enough time and money to sort it out. Still 100x better than the Arma mod though.

I know your point was about graphics, but there's actually a big problem with people using mouse and keyboard on PS4 MP FPS. That's about unfair as it gets on the console playing field. It's night and day what you can do with a mouse vs an analog stick even with the converter necessary to make the console think it's a controller.

All platforms are fucked in one way or another when it comes to that stuff. Best not to overthink it and just go for whichever one is most comfortable for your play sessions, which for me is always pc. Struggling with analogs for an fps game or learning to use some shitty input converter for proper mouse support just doesn't sound like a good time.

But his point was that he sees consoles as a fairer playing field, and with Overwatch PS4 currently plagued by mouse users I don't think that's the case at all. The difference between an edge in graphics is nothing compared to the edge a mouse would have over a controller. It's not really rare at this point either from what I hear. I assume that as the game has aged only the really hardcode on console are still playing, and that probably has increased the percent using those adapters which aren't cheap.

Feb 22, 2019, 15:10
Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 22, 2019, 15:10
Feb 22, 2019, 15:10

Sepharo wrote on Feb 22, 2019, 04:14:
There is a reason people turn down graphics settings to shit settings immediately when playing competitively in these types of games. Not just FPS & input lag, but stability and the fact that with less stuff going on in the game, it is less prone to errors like this. With the shader bukkake thats taking place in most games nowadays best to turn that shit off.

This is the main reason why I play competitive shooters on console (yes yes burn the witch/peasant and all that), other than way more cheaters on PC, the fact that you are disadvantaged because you don't choose to make the game look like it's from 2003 is a major turn off.

It is an advantage even for monster rigs that get 100+fps on ultra, as less clutter and effects make enemies easier to spot. I know from flight sims that depending on how the game is made, lower resolution/bigger pixels can help you pick out targets and movement against background/sky as well.

Although Xbox is not a choice for PUBG. It's even more garbage there than on PC if you can imagine it. The inventory management alone is enough to take all the fun out. ApeLegs on the other hand, being made for consoles and PC at the same time by experienced developers with decades of best selling multi-platform shooters under their belt, absolutely slaps on every platform.

Tough luck for people like me that want the try-hard realishness inspired hunger games nonsense of PUBG though. Someone needs to come and eat their lunch soon, they have had enough time and money to sort it out. Still 100x better than the Arma mod though.

I know your point was about graphics, but there's actually a big problem with people using mouse and keyboard on PS4 MP FPS. That's about unfair as it gets on the console playing field. It's night and day what you can do with a mouse vs an analog stick even with the converter necessary to make the console think it's a controller.

All platforms are fucked in one way or another when it comes to that stuff. Best not to overthink it and just go for whichever one is most comfortable for your play sessions, which for me is always pc. Struggling with analogs for an fps game or learning to use some shitty input converter for proper mouse support just doesn't sound like a good time.

Feb 22, 2019, 10:28
Re: PUBG Framerate Affects Rate-of-Fire Feb 22, 2019, 10:28
Feb 22, 2019, 10:28

Yea ROE is pretty great too but I keep going back to PUBG to play with friends. I'm not sure why people keep saying these games don't run well, sure when it was early access 2 years ago it ran poorly but PUBG is 100+fps all the time for me now, often pegged at 144fps.

Feb 22, 2019, 04:53
Re: PUBG Framerate Affects Rate-of-Fire Feb 22, 2019, 04:53
Feb 22, 2019, 04:53

Wow had they been Bethesda, the shitstorm that would have befallen them

Feb 22, 2019, 04:14
Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 22, 2019, 04:14
Feb 22, 2019, 04:14

Feb 22, 2019, 02:10
Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 22, 2019, 02:10
Feb 22, 2019, 02:10

Feb 22, 2019, 01:17
Dev
Re: PUBG Framerate Affects Rate-of-Fire Feb 22, 2019, 01:17
Feb 22, 2019, 01:17
Dev

Retired wrote on Feb 21, 2019, 13:09:
Havent played the game for 5 months. Will never play again. I was a huge supporter and very early in Beta. Sad the game is still so bloated and clunky. They focused far to much on crates and tshirts than the core game.
Actually, they didn't focus enough on that. Fortnight had far more microtransaction options much quicker. PUBG has been slow to everything, which has killed them.

I don't know if they just didn't bother to higher enough devs with the initial rush of money or what.

Feb 21, 2019, 23:18
Re: PUBG Framerate Affects Rate-of-Fire Feb 21, 2019, 23:18
Feb 21, 2019, 23:18

Man, that game still runs worse than its alpha version and still has bugs from the beta. That is such a disgrace, and I just sold my inventory on the Steam market, because I am sure I wont ever play it again. They just dont seem to care about these core issues.
I have given up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

Feb 21, 2019, 22:10
Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 21, 2019, 22:10
Feb 21, 2019, 22:10

Feb 21, 2019, 19:35
Re: PUBG Framerate Affects Rate-of-Fire Feb 21, 2019, 19:35
Feb 21, 2019, 19:35

phinn wrote on Feb 21, 2019, 14:40:
PUBG is probably the most fun multiplayer game I've ever played if you have 2-3 friends on. After initially refunding it 2 years ago I re-bought it a month later and never looked back. Each new disappointing multiplayer shooter that has come out since has had my and my crew going back to it. It's a great game but yea it has issues.

Regarding FPS affecting ROF, yea it's an issue but it's also an Unreal Engine issue and affects other games like Fortnite too. This issue isn't entirely on PUBG but they are fixing it.

Have you tried Ring of Elysium? It is all I play now.

Feb 21, 2019, 18:40
Re: PUBG Framerate Affects Rate-of-Fire Feb 21, 2019, 18:40
Feb 21, 2019, 18:40

This same thing occurs in other MP FPS as well.

I'm confused by this part of the description though...
Because rate of fire is now steady and independent of frame rate, some players may notice a more difficult to control recoil, especially in high rate of fire weapons on low FPS settings. Those weapons will still have to be capped by the game’s 1 bullet per frame rule, so in conditions of sub 20 FPS, the actual rate of fire for a weapon such as Micro UZI will still be slower.
Seems like the 2nd sentence contradicts the first... but broadly, in the whole description, it appears they're saying... "it's not totally fixed, but low FPS and high FPS will have closer rate of fires now"

Feb 21, 2019, 14:51
MDB
Re: PUBG Framerate Affects Rate-of-Fire Feb 21, 2019, 14:51
Feb 21, 2019, 14:51
MDB

Way back in the day the Unreal Engine had this quirk where events were all based on animation keyframes and animation speed was based on tick rate (essentially a function of processing speed) rather than time delta. Would be hilarious if 20 years out they still hadn't figured out why this is bad.

Feb 21, 2019, 14:40
Re: PUBG Framerate Affects Rate-of-Fire Feb 21, 2019, 14:40
Feb 21, 2019, 14:40

PUBG is probably the most fun multiplayer game I've ever played if you have 2-3 friends on. After initially refunding it 2 years ago I re-bought it a month later and never looked back. Each new disappointing multiplayer shooter that has come out since has had my and my crew going back to it. It's a great game but yea it has issues.

Regarding FPS affecting ROF, yea it's an issue but it's also an Unreal Engine issue and affects other games like Fortnite too. This issue isn't entirely on PUBG but they are fixing it.

Feb 21, 2019, 13:47
Re: PUBG Framerate Affects Rate-of-Fire Feb 21, 2019, 13:47
Feb 21, 2019, 13:47

theglaze wrote on Feb 21, 2019, 13:30:

PUBG will disappear like Angry Birds

It has a million players playing every week. Gonna be a while for that.
Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

Feb 21, 2019, 13:30
Re: PUBG Framerate Affects Rate-of-Fire Feb 21, 2019, 13:30
Feb 21, 2019, 13:30

PUBG remains the only game to which I've requested a Steam refund.

Even CSGO Danger Zone is better, and ApeLegs is better in almost every way. Both are free.

PUBG will disappear like Angry Birds

Feb 21, 2019, 13:09
Re: PUBG Framerate Affects Rate-of-Fire Feb 21, 2019, 13:09
Feb 21, 2019, 13:09

Havent played the game for 5 months. Will never play again. I was a huge supporter and very early in Beta. Sad the game is still so bloated and clunky. They focused far to much on crates and tshirts than the core game.

Feb 21, 2019, 11:55
Re: PUBG Framerate Affects Rate-of-Fire Feb 21, 2019, 11:55
Feb 21, 2019, 11:55

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Feb 21, 2019, 10:55:
How does this happen? lol....
I think this happens because the Devs were not experienced in developing online competitive gaming systems and are learning as they go.

This comment was edited on Feb 21, 2019, 12:05.

Feb 21, 2019, 10:55
Re: PUBG Framerate Affects Rate-of-Fire Feb 21, 2019, 10:55
Feb 21, 2019, 10:55

How does this happen? lol....
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older