Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Anthem Launches on Origin Access

Though the full launch of Anthem is not until next week, an early chance to play BioWare's new action/RPG is now available through Origin Access in two forms. Those who are Origin Access Premier members have unlimited access to the full game as part of their subscriptions, which cost $14.99 USD/month. There are also additional perks for these subscribers, and this article has details on how these can be access. Those with Basic subscriptions ($4.99 USD/month) also have a first crack at the game, but this is limited to a 10-hour trial. If you are having trouble locating the game in your library, this tweet has instructions on how to find it. This post has all the launch plans, and here's a quick description of the game:

Team with up to three other players in cooperative adventures that reward both combined effort and individual skill. Each player’s choice of javelin exosuit will shape their contribution and strategic role. As you explore, you will discover a gripping story filled with unique and memorable characters. Seamless and intelligent matchmaking will ensure you can quickly and easily find other players to adventure alongside.

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

52. Re: Anthem Launches on Origin Access Feb 18, 2019, 19:23 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Feb 18, 2019, 17:43:
I seriously doubt EA will let this live for two years. If it doesn't make a billion bucks in six months it'll just get shitcanned, like everything that doesn't please their fucking piece of shit executives.

I do wonder that myself, so then it will be worse and a flop.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

51. Re: Anthem Launches on Origin Access Feb 18, 2019, 17:43 Creston

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 18, 2019, 17:33:
but man this game is definitely going to have those start up pains and sounds like it will go through the same thing D2 and Division went through and we'll be reading in 1-2 years "Anthem is really good now",

I seriously doubt EA will let this live for two years. If it doesn't make a billion bucks in six months it'll just get shitcanned, like everything that doesn't please their fucking piece of shit executives.

50. Re: Anthem Launches on Origin Access Feb 18, 2019, 17:33 HorrorScope

I asked about that as well, that has now been happening with EA games for a while, that Premier is getting a week in advance to play even over pre-orders. Creating this new thing... why get $60, when you can get $75 out of some. Aka, you buy it and also pay for premier to play it early, because you don't wan to be left behind. BECAUSE, this game is already beat, luckily it isn't PvP, but other EA games Madden and BFV that this happened to do play head to head and these people have an big early advantage. There are people Grandmaster 3 in Anthem now getting all their legendaries grinding the 3 whopping strongholds or farming chests in freeplay via an online map.

The combat mechanic is fun, but man this game is definitely going to have those start up pains and sounds like it will go through the same thing D2 and Division went through and we'll be reading in 1-2 years "Anthem is really good now", this is a major rush job, like EA sprung the release date on Bioware, they are making a lot of rookie online mistakes. Supposedly this Friday there is going to be a patch of biblical proportions, the famed miracle patch that is going to take care of a lot, not holding breath. And these cataclysms they are talking about, they better come with like 100% more content to make this release feel right. They better be bold and sly and be sitting on a massive game changer of a surprise. Again the game is fun, but super duper duper short and only a couple places to grind and you are doing that to get better gear to just grind faster. The game was beat no later than this Sunday on it's 3rd day and not just getting to level cap, that was done on the same day 10-12 hours for some, but people already grinding the shit out of what is there at end game.

49. Re: Anthem Launches on Origin Access Feb 18, 2019, 10:58 Creston

Quinn wrote on Feb 18, 2019, 10:09:
This is fucking hilarious: so a friend got a new GPU and gave me his Anthem promo key. I redeemed the key and linked it to my Origin Access Basic account. This account had a 10h Trial period available, but because I redeemed the key it is now considered a Pre-order and the 10h trial period has been disabled! So before I "bought" the game I was able to play the game already for 10 hours, but now I have to wait until the 22nd!

Fuck me! The idiots! How does this not explode in their face atm? I can't be the only person duped like that?

Hahaha, that's just Maximum EA right there.

48. Re: Anthem Launches on Origin Access Feb 18, 2019, 10:09 Quinn

This is fucking hilarious: so a friend got a new GPU and gave me his Anthem promo key. I redeemed the key and linked it to my Origin Access Basic account. This account had a 10h Trial period available, but because I redeemed the key it is now considered a Pre-order and the 10h trial period has been disabled! So before I "bought" the game I was able to play the game already for 10 hours, but now I have to wait until the 22nd!

Fuck me! The idiots! How does this not explode in their face atm? I can't be the only person duped like that?

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

47. Re: Anthem Launches on Origin Access Feb 17, 2019, 23:34 Creston

If you've been crashing a lot today, upgrading to the latest nvidia drivers (4.18.91) seems to help.

46. Re: Anthem Launches on Origin Access Feb 17, 2019, 12:02 HorrorScope

To Creston's thoughts...

First give the Interceptor a go, one thing bioware does right is rouges and the main reason I liked all the DA's in action mode and this thing is yet another notch up on adrenaline. It's a lot of jump, double jump, aim, no cooldown melee, acid melting, blinking, you just bounce to everything like the Tasmanian devil. Possibly and I don't mean this as fresh hyperbole, the funnest character I've played in a video game. It's a chaotic rush, and once you have it down, then going back to your Storm is a real step back at the very least in adrenaline, front line vs overseer. I think my Interceptor deals out more damage as well at the same time isn't as squishy, where a Storm is more airborne and open for target. Yep I thought the Storm was the shit and I still play it, but the Interceptor takes the cake.

I play 2 sessions Interceptor, 1 Session Storm to keep the feel for Storm alive. Also there are some drops/synergies I've read about that can make builds unbelievable. There is one I read where a Colossus gets a 3000% boost to Ultimate Power build up, that alone is nuts and instead of 3 big hits it now gets 8 all by using different synergies on items. Another was a Storm getting 50% cooldown reduction from an item, with a damage penalty, but another item that gave that penalty back and then some. As you know how the Storm is, give me twice the usage rate, omg.

So the Javelins are the highlight, pretty much universal.

The Freeplay so far is the only really fun area and even that could be a shit ton better. As you say the world builders did their job, they need to fill the bitch in more with activities and the story missions are a giant waste of space, they should be Freeplay like to where yes you can do the mission, but you can go around and just fight baddies for loot to while doing said mission. Can the story missions be any more generic? I had one memorable fight so far in all the story missions, 1.

Tarsis, yeah that's a joke navigating at 1.5 mph and then all the times it makes you take the big loop to get updates for everyone... again. I'm talking to a gay janitor, a TMZ wanna-be, getting two bakers together, wtf why are they even a thing? If this slog has anything to do with... burn time to keep the players in-game, fuck'm. 90% of this story should be told with you in the field in action. Way to much face time with characters that seem to be on Happy Gas vs the crux of the over-arching situation. Is everything a laid back joke to 90% of the inhabitants?

The good news is a game like this isn't static, changes will be made and hey if I got to go on a hiatus for 6 months to return to it for the new content and changes, that's fine. There isn't one game where I want to live in exclusively. The Javelins are really fun, I too make fun of the Ranger, but people swear its because I don't know how to play them right and they are awesome sauce to, maybe so.

Yes a lot of little design flaws, loading screens, summary screens, now way-point highlighting, it's like someone at EA told them ship date is X and it caught them off guard by about a year.

Also the bad guy, is that Patrick Warburton (Kronk/Enterprise)? Sounds a lot like him under the synthesis.

The last online game I had day one, looking back is amazingly 2005's Guild Wars 1. It would be nice that games like this could hit a higher bar like this on release, but oh well.

Also started playing Enderal, omg this might be amazing to, so far love it, but there is a looooong way to go. One thing that I feel and I like is a mod'er can tell a story a publisher just cannot due to politics.

45. Re: Anthem Launches on Origin Access Feb 17, 2019, 09:29 Quinn

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 17, 2019, 04:10:
This is a real keeper, from the PC Games review

If one player forges ahead of the party, everyone left behind will be given a certain amount of time to catch up before they're teleported forward. This wouldn't be so bad, but doing so requires having to sit through a loading screen.

Let me get this straight, if you pair up with an OCD kid that chases checkpoints (nothing wrong with that per sé btw.) and you oogle at some graphical hotspot you get pushed into a loading screen? When the mission ends you get through 3 load-screen before you can equip the stuff you found? THE STUFF THE GAME IS WHOLLY ABOUT?

How did Bioware manage to fuck this up? In Andromeda you can drive for 5 minutes, clear 3 camps, enter a super extreme large tomb without a single loading screen in between and the weapons you find? You can insta equip them. So clearly it's not the engine.

All this talk about Anthem made me reinstall Warframe... now If I remembered how to actually get into this game ;p

Yup this is the main reason I am passing on Anthem for now. The demo was terrible like that. I mentioned this multiple times now so for some I'm a broken record, but listen to this:

I was flying toward a checkpoint with a friend, while 2 teammates where further ahead somehow. A countdown started, saying we were too far away from our team (we actually saw their tails in the distance). We rushed, landed right in front of the rest of the team... but too late, according to the game. So what happened? We had to stare at a 30 seconds loading screen, and after that we were moved one fucking feet forward to where we landed half a minute ago.

This was unforgivable. My friend and myself decided right at that moment not to get further into the demo, let alone buy the game.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

44. Re: Anthem Launches on Origin Access Feb 17, 2019, 08:49 Kain

PCGamer has a review in progress up, and they're pretty harsh, but I do find it hard to disagree with what he's saying, especially regarding Tarsis and the loading screens. Tarsis is just so boring and so slow...

The thing with Tarsis is that its supposed to be worldbuilding but its mannequin city there and has the opposite effect. There's 3 people you can interact with and everyone just stands around like its an open world game from 2004. So the player is annoyed because they're forced to use this dumb hub to even access their inventory or the mission screen but its completely immersion busting and a waste of time. Speaking of mission screen, the people who designed the mission select for this game must hate the players or themselves, I can't decide which. What kind of idiotic interface requires you to make selections inside of an inner menu like that then back out to an outer menu, along with contextual buttons that can instantly launch? There's so much confusion on the forums about this that its kind of hilarious, a total UX failure.

It can't be said what a failure this game is in terms of design and tech. The PC port is kind of bad but as usual patches are promised. Who played this and thought this much loading was acceptable by the way? Do these people not dogfood their own product? Frostbite fucking sucks for this kind of game and EAs internal mandate to use it across their new AAA shit is a big part of the problem.

43. Re: Anthem Launches on Origin Access Feb 17, 2019, 06:23 Kxmode

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 17, 2019, 04:10:
How did Bioware manage to fuck this up?

Because Anthem is an unfinished early access Games-as-a-Service prototype (say that three times fast).

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

42. Re: Anthem Launches on Origin Access Feb 17, 2019, 04:10 eRe4s3r

This is a real keeper, from the PC Games review

If one player forges ahead of the party, everyone left behind will be given a certain amount of time to catch up before they're teleported forward. This wouldn't be so bad, but doing so requires having to sit through a loading screen.

Let me get this straight, if you pair up with an OCD kid that chases checkpoints (nothing wrong with that per sé btw.) and you oogle at some graphical hotspot you get pushed into a loading screen? When the mission ends you get through 3 load-screen before you can equip the stuff you found? THE STUFF THE GAME IS WHOLLY ABOUT?

How did Bioware manage to fuck this up? In Andromeda you can drive for 5 minutes, clear 3 camps, enter a super extreme large tomb without a single loading screen in between and the weapons you find? You can insta equip them. So clearly it's not the engine.

All this talk about Anthem made me reinstall Warframe... now If I remembered how to actually get into this game ;p

41. Re: Anthem Launches on Origin Access Feb 17, 2019, 02:33 DarkCntry

Creston wrote on Feb 16, 2019, 22:16:
Alamar wrote on Feb 16, 2019, 18:20:
Once I hit 12, and ran out of missions (WTF?),

Wait wait wait wait... WHAT???

More than likely it's related to the progression-breaking bug relating to the Tombs questline. If you get DC'd during a specific quest, you don't flag something and you are incapable of obtaining any new quests past that point.

40. Re: Anthem Launches on Origin Access Feb 16, 2019, 22:16 Creston

Alamar wrote on Feb 16, 2019, 18:20:
Once I hit 12, and ran out of missions (WTF?),

Wait wait wait wait... WHAT???

39. Re: Anthem Launches on Origin Access Feb 16, 2019, 18:27 Creston

A few more thoughts:

- There are definitely still bad matchmaking bugs. Twice I tried to run the stronghold with two buddies, and twice they spawned like outside the thing and couldn't join me. Weird.

- Loot drops are most definitely locked to your level. I played some open world with a buddy, and he was getting rare drops because he's level 15, and I was getting common and uncommons because I'm level 7.

- Open world IS fun, though. Really beautiful things to explore, some decent world events to do (still just shoot everything and hit F, though), tough boss monsters to fight. (Just shows again how crazy OP the Storms are, though. The two of us took down an ancient ash titan without too much trouble. Also, that battle rewarded me with two whole common items. Sigh )

- PCGamer has a review in progress up, and they're pretty harsh, but I do find it hard to disagree with what he's saying, especially regarding Tarsis and the loading screens. Tarsis is just so boring and so slow...

- Speaking of loading screens, the number of loading screens in this game is retarded. Sure, on my PCI4 NVMe SSD they don't take very long (a few seconds for most of them), but for those who are on slower drives, it's going to be agony. One of my buddies was still on a fucking platter drive (dafuq?), and it took minutes for him to load into a game (we wondered if that was why he was having trouble joining the stronghold mission), and then minutes again to load out of it.

It's a fucking ridiculous sequence where a mission ends, load screen, rewards screen, load screen, forge, load screen, exit forge, load screen, do another mission, load screen. FFS, Bioware, you couldn't do better than that??

- The bad guy is literally the most generic villain ever written for a videogame.

I think I will finish the story and that'll be it. As with any game, it's more fun with friends, and so far the Rando Calrissians that I've played with in the game have been fine. Nobody's been annoying on the mic or trolling or anything, and it IS more fun to play a mission with 4 people, even if that means that you're going to get force pulled through the entire thing way faster than you may want.

I can understand that the Edmonton team was sick of Mass Effect and wanted to do something different, but it's just very disappointing that THIS much effort was put into Anthem while Andromeda got the C-team and the C budget.

38. Re: Anthem Launches on Origin Access Feb 16, 2019, 18:20 Alamar

Creston wrote on Feb 16, 2019, 14:37:
- Loot is nice and varied. I haven't noticed a decrease in drops, to be honest, I still find ~ 5-8 items per mission and am starting to see green drops more often. It does definitely look like that's hard-locked to your level though.
So ya, loot 'rarity' rates are directly tied to your level... And it's listed in the Codex along with five thousand other things.

Once I hit 12, and ran out of missions (WTF?), I did a single Stronghold and got 8 Rares... Didn't get that in the beta, but ya, people would think drop rates are less if they were also not aware about the rarity vs level stuff...
- There ARE more than three powers per javelin, fortunately, you just can't equip more than 3 at a time. (because, you know, where would that all fit on a controller? Thanks consoles...) Unfortunately, some of these powers are absolute garbage, and you don't know they are until you're in free play or a mission, and have to go back into Tarsis to swap it out.
https://i.imgur.com/M0G4gY3.jpg

The not so good:

- Run speed in Tarsis is still bullshit. Just awful. It takes forever to get anywhere. They said they unlocked sprint, and I shit you not, sprint is literally 5% faster than the normal walk speed. Wow, thanks for the favor, Bioware... Sigh
It feels like a bigger increase to me, but it's 100% pointless... Just increase the base speed? Why should I have toggle this shit on a few times while running around town... The 'Launch Bay' is maybe their partial answer to this... Once you're done anything story related, I assume there's no reason to be IN the Fort, so you can get to everything quicker there.
- So far the game has been an absolute joke of how easy it is on normal diff (easier to find matchmaking on normal vs hard.) I think that's mostly because everyone is running in Storm, and Storms are just supremely OP compared to the other Javelins. (Fucking Blizzard-like nerf hammer incoming in 3... 2...)
Normal isn't for groups... But they can be challenging solo... Still have 20+ mobs at a time wailing on me, so hiding is a must a lot of the time, and this is as the OP Storm, which didn't feel OP in the few groups I ran (which also didn't have any other Storms)... The Juggernaut and his flame thrower was pretty bad-ass...

The ugly:

Once the story is gone and not even the NPC yammering changes in a mission anymore, why would people keep playing?
And that's why there's some 'consistent' new content planned... I'm assuming it'll have some new NPC yammering and not just the occasional 'Dungeon'.

- This is a beautiful world, and I'd love to explore it. Can I? Well, not when I'm playing with other people, because the ADHD generation has to RUN from checkpoint to checkpoint as if the IRS was chasing them, and if you stay behind to just look at something, you'll just get teleported forward because "YOU MUST KEEP UP WITH THE OTHER PARTY MEMBERS!!!!!"
I agree, and this is why I solo'd every mission... The later Strongholds, that I don't know very well from beta, are going to be frustrating due to this...
- Final bad point, this game is agony to play with friends, because of the Fort Tarsis thing. You come back from a mission, everyone goes to their instance of FT. So I'm new to the story, and I need/want to talk to all the NPCs and maybe read a few codex entries. My buddy, meanwhile, was helping me with some earlier missions, and he's just sitting there waiting for me to get done with FT so we can do another mission. Eventually he gets bored and goes and does a mission, and now I'm ready, and hey, he can't join me because he's busy. So you're always waiting on each other. I guess that's maybe endemic to MMOs in general, but I dunno... it seems they could have figured something out to make this go smoother. Grouping up works fine for one mission and then you're just having to fucking WORK at meeting up for another one. It is really not very well thought out.
I'm surprised how ridiculously bad the game that keeps reminding you to play coop every damn time you try to launch a mission... Is so fucking bad coop... Voice chat is built in... But it's then disabled if you go in loading screen... And since people load at different rates, you might not hear them, or vice versa, and not even know it.

37. Re: Anthem Launches on Origin Access Feb 16, 2019, 18:19 Kxmode

Per Creston's comment at 33, it sounds like Anthem is a very polished albeit unfinished early access title.

With the recent cancellations of various single-player Star Wars games, EA has made it clear that they don't want to invest in long-term projects, and Anthem is a game that needs that. Instead, they want functional products that can become Games-as-a-Service (GAAS). If you think about it makes cents. Why would EA spend a lot of money to have BioWare fully develop the game at the level of BioWare past products?

The fact that Anthem launches with a single biome and the sameness of missions reeks of a game that had its core mechanics lockdown, much polish added, and then shipped to make more money so that BioWare can add more content (and prove the point that GAAS works). Meanwhile, EA touts the game's commercial success to shareholders, while simultaneously validating that they don't need to spend tens of millions to produce proper full games that a company like BioWare can achieve. In effect, Anthem is an experiment.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

36. Re: Anthem Launches on Origin Access Feb 16, 2019, 17:38 Jivaro

This thread is...interesting...where to begin?

I pay the 5 bucks a month currently...

I have seen enough to make an informed decision on Anthem...

This isn't the FPS game that is going to reignite my interest in FPS games...

EA's 5 or 15 dollar sub plan is something that more of the AAA publishers should take a hard look at. I have been paying 5 bucks a month (60 a year) to Sony for PSN+ since the day they started the plan and I have never regretted it. The EA plan won't last me that long because I am only in it to preview a couple of titles and then I am probably back out again but I would pay the 15 a month in a heartbeat if it came with SWTOR access...

And lastly...some of you really need to film yourselves shouting at people from a chair on your lawn. When you watch the video you will see exactly what you "read" like in these forums. At least CJ keeps it fresh by finding whole new things to get angry about instead of repeating himself in every thread with a similar game name.

update: I didn't play nearly as much as Creston going by his review but I agree with the general points. It's not a bad game by any means and it's brand new so I am sure some of the negatives will get addressed. It just isn't what I am looking for in a modern shooter.

35. Re: Anthem Launches on Origin Access Feb 16, 2019, 17:38 ShakaUVM

The writing in this game is really, really bad. Like a 9th grader stayed up late the night before an essay was due, forgot to write the essay, and then scribbled down something during the passing period before class.  

34. Re: Anthem Launches on Origin Access Feb 16, 2019, 14:40 Creston

Slick wrote on Feb 16, 2019, 04:29:
What it does to the videogame industry long-term? A subscription rental-based system? Why don't you ask Netflix what it's done for the TV and Film industries long-term? Giving customers a cheap way to "rent" a bunch of content... seems pretty pro-consumer to me.

Yup, agreed. As long as this doesn't REPLACE game sales, I'm totally fine with it existing alongside it. I was genuinely hesitant to try Anthem at a cost of $60. For $15, it was a no brainer.

33. Re: Anthem Launches on Origin Access Feb 16, 2019, 14:37 Creston

Decided to do the $15 to see whether I liked it or not, since the beta had left me ambivalent.

The good so far:

- Technically it's definitely miles ahead of the beta. No frame drops whatsoever, solid 60fps, load times have definitely improved (though the initial matchmaking at the start of a mission still takes AGES, hopefully they can improve that.)

- Voice acting is top notch, animation is great (it just makes me sad that they didn't put this level of attention into ME:Andromeda... Fuck you, EA), the story is actually pretty good in a rather standard cliche sort of way.

- The game is very beautiful. It doesn't look like that original E3 reveal trailer did, but then games never do anymore, but it's still very pretty. Still just the one biome, though you do go into different sorts of tunnels and dungeons etc.

- You get the Javelin of your choice at level 2, right after the first two tutorial missions. No slogging around in the bullshit Ranger Javelin. (yay). The downside of this is that 70% of people are running around in Storm javelins and missions are absolute jokes because of it.

- Loot is nice and varied. I haven't noticed a decrease in drops, to be honest, I still find ~ 5-8 items per mission and am starting to see green drops more often. It does definitely look like that's hard-locked to your level though.

- There ARE more than three powers per javelin, fortunately, you just can't equip more than 3 at a time. (because, you know, where would that all fit on a controller? Thanks consoles...) Unfortunately, some of these powers are absolute garbage, and you don't know they are until you're in free play or a mission, and have to go back into Tarsis to swap it out.

The not so good:

- Run speed in Tarsis is still bullshit. Just awful. It takes forever to get anywhere. They said they unlocked sprint, and I shit you not, sprint is literally 5% faster than the normal walk speed. Wow, thanks for the favor, Bioware... Sigh

- PC controls are miles better than in the beta, but they still need improving. But I can at least fly without just crashing into shit all the time. Swimming controls are still poop, though.

- So far the game has been an absolute joke of how easy it is on normal diff (easier to find matchmaking on normal vs hard.) I think that's mostly because everyone is running in Storm, and Storms are just supremely OP compared to the other Javelins. (Fucking Blizzard-like nerf hammer incoming in 3... 2...)

The ugly:

- Every.Single.Mission.Is.The.Same.Thing. Go to point A, fight some mooks. Hit F on something. Listen to people yammer for a minute. Go to point B. Listen to NPC yammering. Hit F on something. Fight some mooks. NPC yammer. Fight some extra mooks. Go to point C while NPCs yammer. Fight some mooks. Hit F on something. NPC Yammer. Fight an elite mook with lots of hp. NPC Yammer. Mission ends.

And that's it. The ONLY thing that varies in this setup is the NPC yammering. The rest of it is EXACTLY the same in every single mission. I am still having fun with it because it's fun to mess around with powers and discover new weapons etc, but I genuinely do not see how this is going to keep anyone playing for months or God forbid, YEARS, on end, like they want players to. I mean, I guess the hardcore loot chasers might, but everyone else? Once the story is gone and not even the NPC yammering changes in a mission anymore, why would people keep playing?

- This is a beautiful world, and I'd love to explore it. Can I? Well, not when I'm playing with other people, because the ADHD generation has to RUN from checkpoint to checkpoint as if the IRS was chasing them, and if you stay behind to just look at something, you'll just get teleported forward because "YOU MUST KEEP UP WITH THE OTHER PARTY MEMBERS!!!!!"

At least it's no longer the bullshit 3 seconds it was in the beta, it's now 24 seconds, but still, there is NO time to explore or even just look at all the beautiful scenery, unless you go into Free Play (and then you can't see all of the stuff that was in the missions.)

I feel genuinely bad for the world builders. They did all this amazing work, and few people will see it, because there's a fucking pip in their screen telling them they need to GET THERE NAO!!! :\

(and yes, before someone tries to be funny, I realize I want to run through Tarsis myself, then take my time outside, but Tarsis stays the same. So I've already seen all of it. I don't need to look at the same city over and over again. But outside, there's plenty of cool new stuff to see, and there I don't have the time... It's literally the opposite of how it should be.)

- Final bad point, this game is agony to play with friends, because of the Fort Tarsis thing. You come back from a mission, everyone goes to their instance of FT. So I'm new to the story, and I need/want to talk to all the NPCs and maybe read a few codex entries. My buddy, meanwhile, was helping me with some earlier missions, and he's just sitting there waiting for me to get done with FT so we can do another mission. Eventually he gets bored and goes and does a mission, and now I'm ready, and hey, he can't join me because he's busy. So you're always waiting on each other. I guess that's maybe endemic to MMOs in general, but I dunno... it seems they could have figured something out to make this go smoother. Grouping up works fine for one mission and then you're just having to fucking WORK at meeting up for another one. It is really not very well thought out.

Even so, I'm enjoying it so far. I'll EASILY get $15 worth of entertainment out of it. If you're on the fence yourself, I'd recommend just doing the $15 thing. If you don't like it, you're out of 15 bucks. If you DO like it, you can buy it later with a 10% discount, and the month long trial will have cost you 9 bucks.

This comment was edited on Feb 16, 2019, 14:48.

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo